PDA

View Full Version : Flight Indoors?

CMCC
2021-12-24, 06:27 PM
Does the inverse of the Tempest Cleric's flight ability exist? One that works only indoors or underground?

OldTrees1
2021-12-24, 08:46 PM
Wires

No, I don't know of an inverse. In fact, I am not sure "only indoors" is used anywhere in 5E. It was rare in 3E, even compared to "only outdoors".

Melphizard
2021-12-24, 09:41 PM
Wires

In fact, I am not sure "only indoors" is used anywhere in 5E. It was rare in 3E, even compared to "only outdoors".

I think the Hammer from White Plume Mountain, Whlem, really hates the sun and being outdoors in general? Otherwise I can't think of any "indoors" things aside from the obvious technicalities of maybe Dungeon Delver since most traps are within a place or Sunlight Sensitivity since the sun is outside.

Flight wise it's unfortunate that the Tempest Cleric's ability is generally worse then most racial flights and is one of the weaker capstones.
I mean if you look at Twilight Cleric they get flight in 1-minute intervals at level 6!

Greywander
2021-12-24, 10:12 PM
Climb speeds and the spiderclimb trait can access most places that flight could get you in-doors. Generally any part of the structure will necessarily connect to the ground somewhere, unless there's some kind of anti-gravity magic involved, and most structures that would qualify as "in-doors" aren't going to have that connection too far away.

It's also worth nothing that a lot of in-door areas might have too tight quarters to use winged flight. Magical flight obviously doesn't need to worry about this. But in-doors, and especially in tight quarters, a climb speed is just about as good as a fly speed.

PhantomSoul
2021-12-25, 12:06 PM
Flight wise it's unfortunate that the Tempest Cleric's ability is generally worse then most racial flights and is one of the weaker capstones.
I mean if you look at Twilight Cleric they get flight in 1-minute intervals at level 6!

I would recommend no one do that unless it's for a laugh.