PDA

View Full Version : DnD Christmas presents!

Menji
2021-12-25, 09:46 AM
Soooo I'm gonna float a side quest for my PCs involving rescuing some elves who are enslaved into making toys up past the Spine of the World area in Faerun, probably by a bloated bearded lich dude in a fuzzy hat.

Y'all got any ideas for Xmas presents in his big red bag of loot? Looking for interesting and meaningful but not game-breaking mechanically. They're 5th level, in Sundabar currently in a Savage Frontier sandbox game.

PCs:
LN male VHuman Pal (Conquest/Bane), PAM/Sentinel type
CG female halfling Cleric (Life/Cyrrollalee)
N male Yuan-ti Monk(Shadow)/Rogue, w/ Poisoner + rapier
NG male deep gnome Abjurer with a Knowledge cleric dip

A good example of what I'm thinking would be...the deep gnome dude has an Elder Cartographer's Glossography, which would fit because:
1) It's tailored to him, given his bookishness and existing expertise in Arcana/History.
2) It's not game-breaking at all (and is actually a great way to feed em plot hooks)
3) It won't become obsolete later in career, since it doesn't use an attunement slot. Using attunement is fine, but there's a fine line between worth keeping permanently and OP-for-5th-level, so there probably aren't many item that fit both criteria.

Other ideas, off the top of my head:
Figurine of Wondrous power, Silver Raven
Hook of Fisher's Delight
Ring of Animal Influence
etc

Rarity doesn't really matter, as I basically throw it out the window already in favor of more realistic subjective power level assessments.

Whatcha got? Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals! :smallbiggrin:

Angelalex242
2021-12-25, 09:59 AM
Give the Paladin a Holy Avenger because it doesn't fit his build, and see what he does with it. Heh.

If you're nicer than me, a Flame Tongue reach weapon would fit his build, and fire is a nice touch for a conquest sort of guy.

Menji
2021-12-25, 10:20 AM
Give the Paladin a Holy Avenger because it doesn't fit his build, and see what he does with it. Heh.

If you're nicer than me, a Flame Tongue reach weapon would fit his build, and fire is a nice touch for a conquest sort of guy.

Lol...he's the optimizer of the bunch, so that'd be hilarious to watch him squirm. :smallcool:

elyktsorb
2021-12-25, 10:40 AM
Random items I enjoy

Ring of Shooting Stars
Nightfall Pearl
Candle of Invocation
PSI Crystal
Ghost Lantern
Cloak of Arachnida

EggKookoo
2021-12-25, 11:30 AM
Sounds like a job for Weak Magic Items for 5e (http://lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php).

Angelalex242
2021-12-25, 03:02 PM
Lol...he's the optimizer of the bunch, so that'd be hilarious to watch him squirm. :smallcool:

Hah! Do it. Give him a Holy Avenger...the standard longsword variety :P

Hootman
2021-12-25, 03:25 PM
A few Christmases ago, I made a whole suite of custom holiday magic items for my players. The first part of the session was them getting all the stuff mysteriously "Secret Santa'd" to each other, so they could use the items during the adventure.

Off the top of my head, I recall:
A nine-pointed trident with flaming tips that dealt bonus fire damage up to nine times for the PAMaster.
An ice flower that could turn a failed save into a pass for the self-sacrificing tank, until it ran out of petals to fall off.
A number of different magic cookies and snowballs and candycane shivs for the rogues.
A compass that could detect when something was 'Naughty' or 'Nice' for the most morally challenged one.
And a nutcracker helmet for the ranger's pet dinosaur that made her bite attacks devastating.

They fought evil gingerbread men, frost sprites armed with ice sickles, a Roasting Beast (with a brutal flame/acid breath weapon), the Silent Knight and his three ghosts of the season, and Mrs Claws.

All to rescue the archfey Pelz Nikel, who had been frozen by Mrs. Claws in a bid to steal Christmas or destroy the city or whatever. I had a bunch of minis frozen in ice cube trays to represent people of the city who'd gotten got already.

The best part was, all of this was canon. It all happened, and lead into the next like 6 months of adventuring, trying to undo the evil curse and whatnot. And now that it's that time of year again, I'm going to throw a reference to all of that into the next session, just to remind them of weirder days.

Witty Username
2021-12-25, 03:53 PM
I think their is a fog bottle type item that the rogue might like. Or just give them some smoke bombs, ninjas love smoke bombs.

Menji
2021-12-25, 06:22 PM
A few Christmases ago, I made a whole suite of custom holiday magic items for my players. The first part of the session was them getting all the stuff mysteriously "Secret Santa'd" to each other, so they could use the items during the adventure.

Off the top of my head, I recall:
A nine-pointed trident with flaming tips that dealt bonus fire damage up to nine times for the PAMaster.
An ice flower that could turn a failed save into a pass for the self-sacrificing tank, until it ran out of petals to fall off.
A number of different magic cookies and snowballs and candycane shivs for the rogues.
A compass that could detect when something was 'Naughty' or 'Nice' for the most morally challenged one.
And a nutcracker helmet for the ranger's pet dinosaur that made her bite attacks devastating.

They fought evil gingerbread men, frost sprites armed with ice sickles, a Roasting Beast (with a brutal flame/acid breath weapon), the Silent Knight and his three ghosts of the season, and Mrs Claws.

All to rescue the archfey Pelz Nikel, who had been frozen by Mrs. Claws in a bid to steal Christmas or destroy the city or whatever. I had a bunch of minis frozen in ice cube trays to represent people of the city who'd gotten got already.

The best part was, all of this was canon. It all happened, and lead into the next like 6 months of adventuring, trying to undo the evil curse and whatnot. And now that it's that time of year again, I'm going to throw a reference to all of that into the next session, just to remind them of weirder days.

Nice. Lulz @ roasting beast. :smallbiggrin: