PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Mage Blade: Knowledge is power (Second Wind) [D&D 3.5/PF] [P.E.A.C.H.]

Hexeract
2021-12-25, 11:41 AM
Reposting an updated version of a homebrew class I had on here a few years ago.

Behold,
The Mage Blade

A strange gish class that I've been playtesting and tweaking for the last 5 years (as of the end of 2021).

Has several key abilities that are essential to managing the class:

Spellfire
Athames
Spells
Stances/Maneuvers

Spellfire
The ability to absorb and redirect magic. The absorbed energy can then be used to damage your foes or heal your allies. Initially weak, in both absorption capacity and energy output.
It slowly becomes an important catalyst for your athames and spells, eventually allowing for the recharging of spell slots with stored energy.

Athames
Soulbound conduits of magic. Athames are two blades that have been enchanted in order to aid in both casting and absorbing magic. Their power waxes and wains with the amount of spellfire that has been stored. The mage blade's low BAB (10) is supplemented by the attack twice with both athames in hand and improve their chance to hit with the "slice though wardings" class ability and the "mage's devotion" feat.

Spells
The mage blade's spell list mainly focuses on buffing, debuffing and support with a dash of damage spells thrown in. Despite the spell list being nothing to sneeze at... it has come at a cost.
While still a full caster, their spell progression is slow and their max spell capacity being even smaller (maxing at 4 casts per day, unable to gain additional bonus spells with a higher casting stat (Int).

Stances/Maneuvers
This is the newest addition to the classes kit. Focuses on stances, buffs and a few utility and mobility options. Maneuvers can only refresh when the class ability "Slice through wardings" is active.

Never did follow up on adding any preset lore for the class as was requested in the last forum post... but if things seem to check out mechanically, I'll find the time to change that.

Here is a link to the Google document (and my personal test notes for the class): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DeaLXf2fLGdlyMe1_6L30T5Gx7qDHzWx/view

And here's a link to the old and archived original post from a few years back: https://forums.giantitp.com/archive/index.php/t-582541.html

And as always, I'm thankful for your feedback.
~Hexeract