PDA

View Full Version : Theorycraft Div Wizard 6/Aberrant Sorc 6+

Khrysaes
2021-12-26, 05:48 AM
Okay, so this is purely theory craft. Obviously, you give up the very powerful 8th and 9th level spells.

I just reread Divination Wizard 6, in that casting a 2nd level divination spell with a spell slot gives the wizard a 1st level spell slot back, and it increases in levels up to 5th level spell slots.

Sorcerer can convert spell slots to sorcerery points.

Aberrant mind can cast their bonus spells by sorcery points at 1 point per spell level.

So my thought process was that:

Use 1st level slot (or other) for 2 sorcery points.

Cast a 2nd level divination spell using a slot. Regain 1st level spell slot.

Use 2 sorcery points to cast two 1st level spells.

Use regained 1st level slot (or other) for 2 sorcery points.

Use 2 sorcery points to cast two 1st level spells.

To me, this seems like it would like a reasonable way to extend the number of spells the character can cast between long rests. You are getting more spells per slot than either a pure sorcerer OR a pure wizard would get.

Eldariel
2021-12-26, 06:03 AM
Cool, but a 1st level slot only gives you 1 Sorc point (the slot conversion is not symmetric; slots cost more than they give you).

Khrysaes
2021-12-26, 06:32 AM
Cool, but a 1st level slot only gives you 1 Sorc point (the slot conversion is not symmetric; slots cost more than they give you).

You're right, and I misread that.

Lame.

Still reasonably viable to extend casting capabilities, but still lame.

Cikomyr2
2021-12-26, 10:45 AM
Also, I know you didn't mention it in your post, but as a dm id argue that the spell cast using the aberrant mind select spell list would not qualify as "using a spell slot" so you can't convert 2 sorcery points in a 2nd level Divination spell + 1x lvl 1 spell slot

Khrysaes
2021-12-26, 12:02 PM
Also, I know you didn't mention it in your post, but as a dm id argue that the spell cast using the aberrant mind select spell list would not qualify as "using a spell slot" so you can't convert 2 sorcery points in a 2nd level Divination spell + 1x lvl 1 spell slot

I didnt say to use an aberrant mind spell using sorcery points to get the slot. I said use a divination spell, using a spell slot. Then convert the new slot to points for use as an aberrant mind spell, mistakenly thinking that the slot gave an equal number of points as it costs to make.

Cikomyr2
2021-12-26, 04:06 PM
I didnt say to use an aberrant mind spell using sorcery points to get the slot. I said use a divination spell, using a spell slot. Then convert the new slot to points for use as an aberrant mind spell, mistakenly thinking that the slot gave an equal number of points as it costs to make.

I know. But it's one of the first thing I'd ever clear with a player that'd tell me about an Aberrant Mind/Divination combo XD