PDA

View Full Version : Ranger 3/Fighter 1 loses a spell slot?

Silpharon
2021-12-27, 06:38 PM
This is a bit of an oddity. According to the class rules, a level 3 ranger (or paladin) has 3 spell slots (like a 2nd level caster). If the ranger then multiclasses to pick up a level of fighter, he/she loses a spell slot (dropping to a 1st level caster). Am I reading that right?

Edit: Nope, missed this tidbit at the top of the rules:
"Once you have the Spellcasting feature from more than one class, use the rules below. If you multiclass but have the Spellcasting feature from only one class, you follow the rules as described in that class."

Sorinth
2021-12-27, 06:44 PM
No. The rules only apply to when you have more then one class with spellcasting

Here's the relevant part
Once you have the Spellcasting feature from m ore than one class, use the rules below. If you multiclass but have the Spellcasting feature from only one class, you follow the rules as described in that class.

Dualight
2021-12-27, 06:45 PM
If you multiclass but have the Spellcasting feature from only one class, you follow the rules as described in that class.

So, you misread, and can breathe easy. Fighters only apply for caster levels if you go Eldritch Knight, and then, a Ranger 3/Eldritch Knight 3 would still be a 2nd level caster, although it would mean that they would not progress in caster level until character 7 at the earliest, if they go for Ranger 4.

EDIT: Sorinth beat me to the punch in saying it.

Silpharon
2021-12-27, 06:46 PM
Thanks, yeah, that makes more sense.

Ir0ns0ul
2021-12-27, 07:17 PM
Some small off-topic but: starting as a Fighter gives you CON saves and an early fighting style access, like Archery.

My ideal optimized Ranger build usually follows this route. Mainly to leverage Blind Fighting alongside Fog Cloud. Sweet.

Quietus
2021-12-29, 10:43 PM
So, you misread, and can breathe easy. Fighters only apply for caster levels if you go Eldritch Knight, and then, a Ranger 3/Eldritch Knight 3 would still be a 3rd level caster, although it would mean that they would not progress in caster level until character 7 at the earliest, if they go for Ranger 4.

EDIT: Sorinth beat me to the punch in saying it.

That would actually be a 2nd level caster. Ranger3 counts as 1, and EK3 counts as 1. You'd only get your third caster level at Ranger4 or EK6.

The only half-caster that rounds up, is the Artificer.

Dualight
2021-12-30, 05:42 AM
Ah, I made a typo. My bad. I'll go fix that, then.

Chronos
2021-12-30, 08:11 AM
Yeah, multiclassing can delay advancement of spellcasting, but it can never reverse it: They were careful enough to write the rules to prevent that.

Incidentally, this is also why artificers (a half-caster that gets their spellcasting starting at 1st level) round up, instead of down like the others.