PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on order clerix 1/clockwork sorcerer x? Advice for making one?

Rfkannen
2021-12-27, 09:10 PM
I am considering playing a character who would take her first level in order cleric, and the rest in clockwork sorcerer.

I have seen this build tossed around a couple times, what do you think of it? Any suggestions for making one? Race is completely undecided, but something weirder would be fun.

The other characters are a barbarian, a bard, and a bloodhunter (No one has said subclasses yet)

Gale
2021-12-28, 05:17 PM
Treantmonk has made a pretty exhaustive video for this exact build. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXKpJ3zZws) I would genuinely be hard pressed to offer better advice than he has.

I've not gotten a chance to play this build myself. However, I am playing something similar at the moment: Order Cleric 1 / Divine Soul X. It's been pretty effective so far, but I do think that Voice of Authority isn't as impressive if you don't have a Rogue in your party. Regardless, it's still a fun ability that your fellow players will likely love you for, in contrast to something like Hexblade's Curse that only serves to boost your own damage output.

The only advice I can really give is that although Treantmonk recommends playing a Hill Dwarf and makes a compelling argument for it, I do think that other races can work just as well. His reasoning is that dwarfs do not have their movement speed reduced from wearing heavy armor, regardless of their STR score. This means you can dump both STR and DEX and still have a good AC. Hill Dwarfs also get Dwarven Toughness, which grants them an extra point of HP every level. However, any race with a walk speed of 35 feet or greater will have a comparable walk speed in heavy armor; and they often have great racial abilities that can contend with Dwarven Toughness. The two stand-outs for me are Satyr for Magic Resistance, and Dhampir for their Spider Climb.

Hiro Quester
2021-12-29, 12:49 PM
It might be worth starting as sorcerer, dipping cleric, then going back to sorcerer. The base skill proficiencies (Arcana, Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Persuasion, and Religion) might be more applicable than Cleric's (History, Insight, Medicine, Persuasion, and Religion), and proficiency with constitution saves will help with maintaining concentration.this might be more important that proficiency with wisdom saves early on. Later in your career, Wisdom saves are probably good to shore up, with Resilient (wis) at some point though.

I made a plan out for such a character inner campaign (before two other players wanted to play BFC type characters so I switched).

It's easy enough to justify from a RP perspective. He started as a 1st level sorcerer dwarf, working for his father, an armorer. Working on making his own set of plate mail as a journeyman piece. But family is very religious, and have always expected him to serve the family god (with Order domain) as a cleric. He tries it (Sorc1/Cleric1) to meet family expectations, before realizing that he's not cut out for divine service, and goes back to Sorcery.