PDA

View Full Version : Object Size

BardicDuelist
2007-11-20, 09:00 PM
Would anyone mind telling me where I can find the rules for sizes of objects, and the size of weapons. I don't mean size category, but the actual size (like daggers are tiny).

Kyeudo
2007-11-20, 09:06 PM
An object's actual dimensions don't usualy matter. The object's size category sometimes does, though. An weapon that is a light weapon is an object of two size categories less than the size of its intended wielder, a one handed weapon is an object of one size category less than the size of its intended wielder, and a two handed weapon is an object of the size category as its intended wielder. Thus a Greataxe intended to be used by a Medium creature is a Medium object, while a Large longsword is also a Medium object.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-20, 09:35 PM
I don't mean size category, but the actual size (like daggers are tiny).
:smallconfused: Huh? Daggers being Tiny is their size category.

nerulean
2007-11-20, 09:45 PM
I think the OP is asking in terms of, say, the Animate object spell.

Unfortunately, I can't give much more help on the actual question than "guess". I don't know of any rules for it off the top of my head.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-20, 11:32 PM
Well, it's still a matter of size category.

In any case, objects fall into the same size categories as creatures. This is gleaned from the general examples of different size category objects, as there is no place in the rules (as near as I can tell) that specifically addresses object size category in any detail. So the Creature Size Table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#tableCreatureSizeA ndScale) should work just fine for that.

Of course, if you want an object's actual dimensions, you can also work backwards. For example, a dagger for a Medium creature is a Tiny object. So we can look up Tiny on the Creature Size Table, and we find a should be between 1 and 2 feet long in its largest dimension. Likewise, an Ogre's greatclub is a Large object, so it must be between 8 and 16 ft. long. (Of course, an Ogre is generally about 9 to 10 ft. tall, so the greatclub is probably closer to the 8 ft. side of things.)