PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How does exactly works Advanced Weapon Training feat in terms of bonuses?

Owlbat
2021-12-28, 10:55 AM
Hi everyone!

We have an issue with my GM for now, regarding my fighter's progression.

The case is in Advanced Weapon Training feat and base class feature. I assume, that regarding a text of Weapon Training feature - if I choose Advanced WT, i just don't get an additional weapon list for bonuses and trade it for new ability, at the same time, my bonuses for chosen weapon groups continue to growth. And, if I got everything right - the same happens if I take Advanced Weapon Training as a feat.

Ex.: I take Warrior Spirit as an Advanced Weapon Training feat on level 8. I guess that I should get Warrior Spirit ability + additional bonuses +1/+1 for my primarily weapon group (chosen for this feat). GM argues, that this feat will ONLY grant me Warrior Spirit ability.

Please, help us with this case, coz I need to clarify it BEFORE our today session ;)

Thank you in advance, guys!

Arkain
2021-12-28, 02:21 PM
Your reading has also always been how I read it. However, there's a caveat.

First, let's look at some text

Highly skilled and experienced fighters can gain advanced weapon training, learning techniques and applications of the weapon training class feature that give them special benefits in exchange for specializing in a smaller number of fighter weapon groups.

Beginning at 9th level, instead of selecting an additional fighter weapon group, a fighter can choose an advanced weapon training option for one fighter weapon group that he previously selected with the weapon training class feature.

The fighter’s weapon training bonus still increases for weapons from all fighter weapon groups he previously selected with weapon training. A fighter also adds this bonus to any combat maneuver checks made with weapons from this group. This bonus also applies to the fighter’s Combat Maneuver Defense when defending against disarm and sunder attempts made against weapons from this group.

A fighter with an archetype that replaces weapon training cannot select advanced weapon training options.

So yes, what it says there is when you get your second group at level 9 you can instead get and advanced option and just not get a second group, the bonuses still improve by 1. However, if you have an archetype you might be out of luck, but let's not go there now. This brings us to the caveat, you mention level 8, the text level 9. This might be a typo on your side, but if you choose Advanced Weapon Training (as in, the feat), then nothing improves at all, because your class feature (for which you chose an alternative) didn't improve at all, you chose a feat when you, well, got a feat. The feat is also limited in how often you can choose it, but I see this as an addition to the regular advanced options which you may choose e.g. at level 9. Now, armor training is a bit different, there the bonuses actually do not improve if you go for an advanced option.