PDA

View Full Version : New printings of old books

Strudel1000
2021-12-30, 09:11 AM
Are there any plans for new printings of books that are currently sold out on Ookoodook? I'm specifically looking for a copy of Book 5, Blood Runs In The Family.

Totally fine if there's no plans of doing so, that just means I'll start looking in local comic shops/trying to find a copy second hand.

Thank you all!

facw
2021-12-30, 11:58 AM
I don't have a quote handy, but I think after the stress of the kickstarter to fund the last round of reprints, it's very unlikely that we see another round of reprints. So yeah, I'd recommend looking at used, or just buying the PDF.

brian 333
2021-12-30, 06:50 PM
but what do we do when they run out of copies of the pdf?

Strudel1000
2021-12-30, 08:21 PM
I don't have a quote handy, but I think after the stress of the kickstarter to fund the last round of reprints, it's very unlikely that we see another round of reprints. So yeah, I'd recommend looking at used, or just buying the PDF.

Good to know, thank you for the advice!

but what do we do when they run out of copies of the pdf?

Have you heard about FARTS? (https://www.cracked.com/article_18817_5-reasons-future-will-be-ruled-by-b.s..html)

Morquard
2022-01-01, 07:26 PM

I'm certainly not someone to tell the Giant what to do, but over the last few years Print-on-Demand services have gotten really good. Someone orders a book, it gets printed for them, and shipped out. No storage for 1000s of books needed or paying in advance to get them all made. Yeah its probably a bit more expensive, but it gets rid of the other issues.

Maybe worth looking into. (also means he could have a PoD provider in Europe as well and ship the books inside the EU much cheaper, same for Asia etc)

Peelee
2022-01-01, 07:42 PM
I'm certainly not someone to tell the Giant what to do, but over the last few years Print-on-Demand services have gotten really good. Someone orders a book, it gets printed for them, and shipped out. No storage for 1000s of books needed or paying in advance to get them all made. Yeah its probably a bit more expensive, but it gets rid of the other issues.

Maybe worth looking into. (also means he could have a PoD provider in Europe as well and ship the books inside the EU much cheaper, same for Asia etc)
Unsurprisingly, an author who deals with publishers for a visual medium is knowledgeable about the specifics:

The price per copy for that service would be approximately three times what I pay in printing. That would lead to cover prices in the range of $40 for a book like this one and $80-90 for one like Blood Runs in the Family—for everyone, regardless of where they live—and they would also be using lighter, less durable paper stock (60# instead of 80#) and cover stock (10 pt instead of 13 pt) and a crappier printing method (digital, which leads to less rich blacks and ink that you can rub off with your fingers, instead of offset). You would be paying more for worse books, but I guess the shipping would be less. But it doesn't matter because I am not going to do that.

pearl jam
2022-01-02, 06:17 AM
Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

First time I've noticed this and I'm curious. lol

Fyraltari
2022-01-02, 06:39 AM
First time I've noticed this and I'm curious. lol

I believe it refers to this incident:

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Moved to more appropriate ForumSheriff: I will get you back for this.

Peelee
2022-01-02, 09:32 AM
I believe it refers to this incident:

I'm like 80% sure that there has been another, but I can't remember it.

Morquard
2022-01-02, 08:09 PM
Unsurprisingly, an author who deals with publishers for a visual medium is knowledgeable about the specifics:

Fair enough, he has thought about it, should have guessed :)

Maybe some day PoD becomes a viable option.

drDunkel
2022-01-03, 04:39 AM
Books 4 and 5 were offered on Amazon on the 29:th but were sold out the day after.

hrožila
2022-01-03, 06:29 AM
BRitF seems to be available on some European stores. Maybe it's one of those things where it lets you order and later you get an email saying that they're actually out of stock, but it might be worth a try.

pearl jam
2022-01-03, 09:47 AM
I'm like 80% sure that there has been another, but I can't remember it.

1 time is more ominous because it seems like he's biding his time. More than one would suggest that the vengeance either wasn't all that terrible or he's unable to back up a threat. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2022-01-03, 09:57 AM
1 time is more ominous because it seems like he's biding his time. More than one would suggest that the vengeance either wasn't all that terrible or he's unable to back up a threat. :smallbiggrin:

What if he's just really good at biding?

Fyraltari
2022-01-03, 10:14 AM

Revenge is best served extremely bidden.

-Unpopular Klingon saying.

pearl jam
2022-01-03, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I suppose it probably comes down to the particulars of how it's executed to determine whether swearing a second vengeance when you haven't even carried out the first yet would seem more ominous or less.

drDunkel
2022-01-04, 02:25 AM
BRitF seems to be available on some European stores. Maybe it's one of those things where it lets you order and later you get an email saying that they're actually out of stock, but it might be worth a try.

They were listed as coming in stock on the 29:th for almost a month and then on the 31:th they were sold out. I don’t know if it was shady. Maybe they did not get any books.

russgold
2022-01-07, 09:41 AM
Are there any plans for new printings of books that are currently sold out on Ookoodook? I'm specifically looking for a copy of Book 5, Blood Runs In The Family.

Totally fine if there's no plans of doing so, that just means I'll start looking in local comic shops/trying to find a copy second hand.!

Were they ever printed anywhere else? I bought a number of them recently and every single one fell apart as I was reading it. Is there a global glue shortage?

littlebum2002
2022-01-18, 03:31 PM
Were they ever printed anywhere else? I bought a number of them recently and every single one fell apart as I was reading it. Is there a global glue shortage?

Mine were in pristine condition until my kids learned about them and read them all like 10 times each. Now they're dog eared and falling apart but that's how good books should be.

Vinyadan
2022-01-23, 03:47 AM
You can try checking out ebay or abebooks, once in a while you find a copy for sale.

Darth Paul
2022-02-01, 03:37 AM

The Dude bides.

Peelee
2022-02-01, 11:08 AM
The Dude bides.

Or The Dude, or El Duderino, you know, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Fyraltari
2022-02-01, 11:19 AM
Or The Dude, or El Duderino, you know, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

M'dudeness.

Robster
2022-03-15, 03:48 AM

Totally fine if there's no plans of doing so, that just means I'll start looking in local comic shops/trying to find a copy second hand.

Thank you all!

After having hunted down all books except the dreaded #5 over the pandemic (Hailing from rural Europe without a comic book store around (plus the fact that I was, like, twelve when I started reading the comic), I had only ever gotten the black&white kickstarter package before), last night a contingent of 40 copies of Blood Runs in the Family has been listed for sale on campusbookrentals.com. I can't post the link due to low (read: nonexistent - uber-longtime-lurker) post count, so I'll leave the additional search (try ISBN) to the reader.

Just ordered mine, maybe some of you guys who, like me, have been looking for literal years, can get your own copy.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with that site, nor have I received my order yet. I'm just a dude from Bavaria happy to finally complete his collection after all this time and hopefully help some other long time fans to experience the same tingly feeling of completion :smallsmile:

littlebum2002
2022-03-15, 08:32 AM
Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with that site, nor have I received my order yet. I'm just a dude from Bavaria happy to finally complete his collection after all this time and hopefully help some other long time fans to experience the same tingly feeling of completion :smallsmile:

I mean, if you created an account 11 years ago just to sit on it until now so you could tell people about some books you're selling, then you kinda deserve the money anyway lol

Robster
2022-03-15, 08:43 AM
If I had that sense of long-term business dedication, I'd probably not have to rely on that sales revenue anyway :smallbiggrin:

Given that this was literally my first post on this board [edit: in the last decade] and there are quite clear rules on advertisement, I wanted to be extra-safe and get that out of the way.

Peelee
2022-03-15, 08:59 AM
Given that this was literally my first post on this board

Close (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=10927580&postcount=112). :smallwink:

Robster
2022-03-15, 09:12 AM
I stand corrected.

That joke *was* hilarious though!