PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for how to build this guide character?

Rfkannen
2021-12-31, 12:07 AM
I was doing some character design art practice, and I came up with a character that I think would be fun to play in a dnd campaign, but I am unsure how to build him.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/621734403868983327/926338413425213490/Untitled_Artwork.png

The basic idea is that he is "the guide" for an adventuring party. He would tell them what paths were safe, both while exploring and in combat. In combat, I am picturing him yelling to dodge out of the way of upcoming attacks, pointing out weak points, and stuff like that. He has a supernaturally good ability to spot danger to help spot hidden enemies and traps.
He would be the knowledge guy who knows everything about all the enemies; he would say attack a troll with fire, a snail with salt, etc.
I am also picturing him as pretty slippery; he isn't ever when your aiming.

Other than that I am not sure, he was just supposed to be a shape design challenge, so I can't figure out how to flesh him out into a fully stated character. Any ideas on how you would build this guy in 5e?

icedraikon
2021-12-31, 02:06 AM
I was doing some character design art practice, and I came up with a character that I think would be fun to play in a dnd campaign, but I am unsure how to build him.

The basic idea is that he is "the guide" for an adventuring party. He would tell them what paths were safe, both while exploring and in combat. In combat, I am picturing him yelling to dodge out of the way of upcoming attacks, pointing out weak points, and stuff like that. He has a supernaturally good ability to spot danger to help spot hidden enemies and traps.
He would be the knowledge guy who knows everything about all the enemies; he would say attack a troll with fire, a snail with salt, etc.
I am also picturing him as pretty slippery; he isn't ever when your aiming.

Other than that I am not sure, he was just supposed to be a shape design challenge, so I can't figure out how to flesh him out into a fully stated character. Any ideas on how you would build this guy in 5e?

Maybe a Scout Rogue + Battlemaster Fighter multiclass?
Scout Rogue gives you the stealth expertise + Nature and Survival expertise. You could use your second expertise in Perception/Investigation to spot enemies/traps. Battlemaster Fighter + Commander's Strike, Ambush, and Precision/Disarming/Distracting strike to aid allies, help with stealth checks, and whatnot.

Could also go Mastermind, but that's not quite as strong imo. Especially with how many bonus action options you already have as a rogue.

Maybe Rogue 3 / Fighter x and spec into a hand crossbow with Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert. Expertise from Rogue gets you everything you need, and just go straight Fighter for all the ASIs/feats.

J-H
2021-12-31, 03:56 AM
Make him a Halfling and take Bountiful Luck. Once per round, you can negate a natural 1 from your teammates.

Kane0
2021-12-31, 04:46 AM
Looks shifty, has to be a scout rogue. Maybe a kobold or goblin hidden under there, but more likely a gnome or halfling. One ASI used to get their hands on shillelagh and guidance, and maybe another ASI or dip for some choice BM maneuvers or the UA tandem tactician feat

Rfkannen
2021-12-31, 05:16 PM
Make him a Halfling and take Bountiful Luck. Once per round, you can negate a natural 1 from your teammates.
that's perfect! I forgot that feat existed!

Looks shifty, has to be a scout rogue. Maybe a kobold or goblin hidden under there, but more likely a gnome or halfling. One ASI used to get their hands on shillelagh and guidance, and maybe another ASI or dip for some choice BM maneuvers or the UA tandem tactician feat

Scout rogue seems like a great fit! i don't think you can sneak attack with a staff even if you use shillelagh, which is a shame.

Leon
2022-01-01, 08:11 PM
Horizon walker Ranger. He's been everywhere and know all the paths etc

Witty Username
2022-01-01, 08:23 PM
You could also use Fey Wanderer Ranger, for similar reasons as horizon walker. It has a better 1-10 if you want options. Level 11 horizon walker will probably feel great though.

Khrysaes
2022-01-01, 08:31 PM
Fey wanderer ranger & scout rogue multiclass. Especially if you can use the options from tashas. You can get 2 druid cantrips from fighting style if you want shillelagh, but since it is not a finesse weapon you probably cant use sneak attack.

Mastikator
2022-01-02, 12:13 PM
I'm thinking lore bard, cutting words help people "dodge" incoming attacks, bardic inspiration helps people resist stuff. Bards get expertise, so take expertise in perception. Lore bards also get 6 skills (any), plus 2 from background and 1-2 from race and you can probably cover all the knowledge skills. I'd probably go with half-elf (wood), forest gnome or halfling or even human.

Background, sage if booksmart guy, outlander if guy from the woods.

If you can find a way to get a cleric/druid/artificer cantrip then guidance is really good on someone who expects to make a bunch of skill checks or just wants to help others with that. Magic initiate (cleric) with guidance and bless would be very buff-y on a bard which you can either take on level 4, or level 1 as a variant human.

Unoriginal
2022-01-02, 12:50 PM
I would consider a Ranger/Mastermind Rogue multiclass.

Background, sage if booksmart guy, outlander if guy from the woods.

Hermit could work, as well.