PDA

View Full Version : Silver Sword of Gith

Nagog
2021-12-31, 05:12 PM
Howdy folks! It's been a while!

I'm running a campaign right now heavily involving the Githyanki, and the party has gotten their hands on The Silver Sword of Gith. From what I've been able to discover, the closest thing to it as a Magic Item is the Greater Silver Sword, which in and of itself is a powerful item, but lacks the oomph I'm looking for in such a plot-heavy artifact. I have read that it's a key item in Neverwinter Nights 2, and was hoping that somebody who's played it could share some details on what the sword is capable of?

Amnestic
2021-12-31, 05:25 PM
Howdy folks! It's been a while!

I'm running a campaign right now heavily involving the Githyanki, and the party has gotten their hands on The Silver Sword of Gith. From what I've been able to discover, the closest thing to it as a Magic Item is the Greater Silver Sword, which in and of itself is a powerful item, but lacks the oomph I'm looking for in such a plot-heavy artifact. I have read that it's a key item in Neverwinter Nights 2, and was hoping that somebody who's played it could share some details on what the sword is capable of?

Spoilers for a two decade old game:

It's a +3 sword (though it's 'universal' so it requires no proficiency to use). The version in NWN2 was shattered and reformed as part of the story, and because of this has certain powers, which are probably best represented as Action options that use up charges.

Blade Storm creates a persistent storm of damage at a location which deals damage and has a Fort (Con) save vs. Prone.
Shard Barrier creates a shield swirling around the wielder which deals damage to any nearby creatures and provokes a Reflex (Dex) save to negate blind/deaf/slow.
Shard Hail is a many-multihit ranged attack with infinite uses.

In Mask of the Betrayer it gains some additional abilities, which are extensive!

Keen (Expanded crit range)
Deals an extra damage dice vs. 'Outsiders' (so Celestials/Fiends)
Chance on hit to deal additional cold damage.
Chance on hit to do a 'soundburst' of sonic (thunder) damage to nearby enemies.
Immune to Mind-affecting spells+Paralysis.

The following were 2/day each, iirc:
Chilling Wrath which is a set of 3 cold rays. If all successfully hit one creature, they do an ice explosion which also has a save vs. Prone
Infinite Resonance, a spherical sound burst which deals sonic (thunder) damage and forces a save vs. prone+deafened
Unity of Will grants allies Heroism and Mind Blank. Forces Will (Wis) save on nearby enemies against Crushing Despair and Fear.
Unbroken Circle grants the wielder immunity to all damage for a duration.
Perfect Rejuvenation affects the wielder with Greater Restoration and Regenerate.

It also gives a different set of bonus stats based on the class of the character wielding it, additional bonus hit points, and Spell Resistance.

Rukelnikov
2021-12-31, 05:39 PM
Unbroken Circle grants the wielder immunity to all damage for a duration.

Funnily enough Zerthimon was the one that crafted that sword.

The Pronouncement of Two Skies is the best dnd story that was never properly told.

Nagog
2021-12-31, 06:27 PM

The Pronouncement of Two Skies is the best dnd story that was never properly told.

I remember reading that bit of lore while researching for this campaign, and it read like the synopsis of the final book in a long, well written series. It's a shame it's never been fleshed out all that well.

loki_ragnarock
2022-01-01, 01:05 AM

The did a damn fine job of it in Planescape: Torment.

Rukelnikov
2022-01-01, 04:55 AM
The did a damn fine job of it in Planescape: Torment.

I don't know, in PS:T you get the highlights, which were awesome to explore while playing the game, exploring the unbroken circle and the chat with Ravel were my favorite parts in a game with a lot of awesome moments, but there's so much missing there.

I remember reading that bit of lore while researching for this campaign, and it read like the synopsis of the final book in a long, well written series. It's a shame it's never been fleshed out all that well.

I always got a similar impression like you get the highlight of each chapter, but know not how those thing came to happen.