PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Circle of the Tempest - martial druid subclass (looking for feedback)

tzurk
2022-01-01, 12:53 AM
Hey dudes,

Here is an attempt to bring a playable Warcraft-style shaman to 5e.
Inspired by the Circle of Wildfire (which I have used with great enjoyment to play an Elemental shaman by simply reskinning the Wildfire Spirit as a Fire Totem), I've tried to translate the feeling of playing an Enhancement shaman into the world of DnD. No totems this time, but a variety of benefits to a melee combatant that hopefully toe the line between theme and mechanics in a balanced way.

Trying to get that casty slashy feel in a way that was different to the many gishes available was a bit tricky. I would have loved to give this subclass the Bladesinger version of Extra Attack but was worried about the power level.

C&C welcome as always - are 3 resistances too many for 14th level? Is 2nd level overloaded? Is it overshadowed by a melee moon druid? Cheers!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fd/cc/26/fdcc2638aab91fb2b4bf16fcbff5c0c1.jpg
Art by Anton Zemskov

Circle of the Tempest
Druids of the Circle of the Tempest are elemental warriors bound to the powers of thunder, rain and lightning. They channel and direct the swirling energies of the storm as they are needed by their allies, providing rain to desolate lands, saving port towns from lightning strikes, and summoning destructive energies to clear swEathes of invaders. In addition to being powerful spellcasters, they are capable warriors who enjoy being in the eye of the storm during battle, directing the energies of their tempest as they best see fit.

Storm Warrior
When you choose this druid circle at 2nd level, you gain proficiency with simple and martial weapons.

In addition, you learn the booming blade and shillelagh cantrips, which count as druid cantrips for you and do not count against your number of druid cantrips known. When you cast shillelagh, you can replace the club or staff mentioned in the spell description with any melee weapon you are holding, and may choose to roll the weapon’s damage dice in place of the one provided by the spell.

Stormstrike
Starting at 2nd level, when you use your action to cast a leveled druid spell that requires concentration, or to produce the effects of a druid spell you are concentrating on (such as in moonbeam or call lightning), you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.

Extra Attack
Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Lightning Shield
Starting at 10th level, you can use your mastery of the storm to surround yourself with crackling motes of lightning. As an action, you can expend a spell slot of 1st level or higher to gain a number of lightning motes equal to 1 + the level of the spell slot expended.

When you are hit by a melee weapon attack, you can use your reaction to cause one or more of the motes to explode, dealing lightning damage to the attacker equal to 1d8 per mote expended + your Wisdom modifier.

Motes last for one hour, or until they are expended.

Storm-hardened
Starting at 14th level, you gain resistance to lightning, thunder and cold damage as your body becomes well-suited to life within the tempest.

Some feedback I have already received suggests that the subclass is lacking in storminess until 10th. This is true in that I largely rely on booming blade to carry the theme until then which may have been a mistake.

What do you think about moving the Lightning Shield ability to 2nd, replacing the spell slot cost with using a Wildshape to gain a number of motes equal to (wis mod? prof bonus?) and folding in the Stormstrike benefit - you can make the bonus action attack while casting/using action on a concentration druid spell, as long as one of the motes is active - is that too much in one feature? Too convoluted on how to gain the benefit?

Thanks for any thoughts!

EDIT: my further thoughts below...

I worried about circle spells as potentially too many features/too much power at 2, but maybe they will help carve out an identity for the build.

Potential circle spells:

2nd - Fog Cloud/Absorb Elements, Thunderwave/Witch Bolt (getting a Stormstrike BA attack when you auto-zap on future turns could finally make this spell worth it?)

3rd - Shatter, Skywrite/Warding Wind

5th - Call Lightning/Lightning Bolt (too much?), Thunder Step

7th - Ice Storm, Elemental Bane

9th - Maelstrom/Destructive Wave, Control Winds

Then redo features as follows:

2 - Bonus Proficiencies, simple & martial weapons
2 - Storm Warrior

Starting at 2nd level, you can expend a use of your Wildshape feature to summon a number of lightning motes equal to your Wisdom modifier.

While these motes are active, you gain the following benefits:

You can use your Wisdom modifier in place of your Strength or Dexterity modifier when making a melee weapon attack.

When you use your action to cast a druid spell that requires concentration, or to produce the effects of a druid spell you are concentrating on (as in moonbeam or call lightning), you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.

When hit by a melee attack, you can use your reaction to cause one of the motes to explode, dealing lightning damage to the attacker equal to 1d8 + your Wisdom modifier.

Motes last for one hour or until expended.

6 - Extra Attack (Bladesinger style? Thorn Whip + attack could be fun) OR the BA attack deals an extra 1d8 lightning.

10 - Motes grant temp HP equal to damage caused. (should this be a baked-in part of the motes to begin with? Temp HP is a big part of spores and Moon Druid wildshapes. if so, maybe resistances here)

14 - Resistances if not at 10. Or if 6 is Extra Attack, maybe an extra 1d6 lightning to melee attacks ala imp divine smite - maybe (probably) too good. Maybe add Wis to concentration checks while motes are active. hmmmmm...

Intregus182
2022-01-01, 11:45 AM
I'm out and about so I'll respond more indepth later. But i like the concept a LOT. But have 1 question and why does this need to be a melee combatant? Wasnt the wow storm shaman a caster and not melee focused?

If you removed the melee aspects itd open up more desogn space. If you want to keep the melee stuff thats fine but id either keep the BA attack while concentrating on a druid spell or the extra attack at level 6 but not both.

tzurk
2022-01-01, 04:53 PM
I'm out and about so I'll respond more indepth later. But i like the concept a LOT. But have 1 question and why does this need to be a melee combatant? Wasnt the wow storm shaman a caster and not melee focused?

If you removed the melee aspects itd open up more desogn space. If you want to keep the melee stuff thats fine but id either keep the BA attack while concentrating on a druid spell or the extra attack at level 6 but not both.

I'm going for a melee theme to try and evoke an Enhancement spec shaman. I feel like between Wildfire Druid (which I love) and Tempest Cleric/Storm sorc, Elemental shamans are pretty well covered in 5e.

I think I agree with cutting Extra Attack to focus on the BA attack. It kind of pigeonholes the player into using a few damage spells over others, which on the one hand feels restrictive, but on the other hand makes me feel better about building a martial subclass for what is probably the best utility caster in the game, as they either focus on just damage, or lose all their subclass bonuses if they need to cast something like Entangle or a Conjure spell.

current thoughts, moving away from booming blade and into lightning motes as the base ability of the subclass:

2nd - simple and martial weapons
2nd - Storm Warrior

Starting at 2nd level, you can expend a use of your Wildshape feature to summon a number of lightning motes equal to your Wisdom modifier.

While these motes are active, you gain the following benefits:

You can use your Wisdom modifier in place of your Strength or Dexterity modifier when making a melee weapon attack.

When you use your action to cast a druid spell that requires concentration, or to produce the effects of a druid spell you are concentrating on (as in moonbeam or call lightning), you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.

When hit by a melee attack, you can use your reaction to cause one of the motes to explode, dealing lightning damage to the attacker equal to 1d8 + your Wisdom modifier. You gain temporary hitpoints equal to the damage caused.

6th - add 1d8 lightning to the BA attack.

10th - resistances

14th - mote die increases to 1d10? 1d12? 2d8? 2d6? you start combat with 1 mote? (gets invalidated by level 20 unlimited wildshapes). allow motes in reaction to taking damage from an attacker within 60 feet, instead of just melee? is that too late for this ability - swap with 10th?