PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Turn Undead vs Necromancy School Undead

SociopathFriend
2022-01-01, 03:39 PM
I've played a Necromancer many a time and each time I have successfully gotten my party and DM to be chill about it- I've been blessed that way.

With that said- plan for hostile failure but hope for friendly success.

As such I'll likely be adventuring with a multiclassed Life Cleric of at least 9 Levels in Cleric and 2 Levels in something else- while I will be a Level 9 Necromancy Wizard (20 Int) with 2 Levels in some form of Cleric.

IF he should Turn Undead upon my Animated Dead or Danse Macabre'd then whether they're destroyed rather than turned will depend on their CR.

Will they have the basic Zombie/Skeleton CR? Or will the DM/party need to calculate such? For each spell to boot?

Kane0
2022-01-01, 03:51 PM
IF he should Turn Undead upon my Animated Dead or Danse Macabre'd then whether they're destroyed rather than turned will depend on their CR.

Will they have the basic Zombie/Skeleton CR? Or will the DM/party need to calculate such? For each spell to boot?

Base CR i believe, statblock straight from the MM.

Maybe invest in some anti-turning amulets for your favourites, or also employ something like summon undead or asking your DM to pool the XP value of animate dead to trade up to like an ogre zombie or minotaur skeleton.

OldTrees1
2022-01-01, 03:55 PM
The undead you animate/create will have the same CR as their monster manual stat block. Yes, this means they are highly vulnerable to your teammate's Turn Undead (Sort of like someone casting Fireball on the party). However remember 3 things:
1) Turn Undead has a 30ft radius. Coordinate with your Cleric friend so your undead fight on the opposite side of the battle from the Cleric.
2) You can always make more undead later.
3) Unless there are enemy undead, why would your Cleric friend/buddy/pal destroy your undead? They would probably prefer to use Preserve Life Channel Divinity instead.

SociopathFriend
2022-01-01, 05:22 PM
Maybe invest in some anti-turning amulets for your favourites, or also employ something like summon undead or asking your DM to pool the XP value of animate dead to trade up to like an ogre zombie or minotaur skeleton.

Even if the DM does allow such- and I do think I can make a solid case for it with this DM- I personally would still insist I need the proper body to Animate. No human corpse should warrant a minotaur skeleton and so on.