PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A Furry situation.

Khazreil
2022-01-02, 02:06 PM
My GF is brewing up her first campaign, and is making a mercenary group of NPCs. This group is entirely made of anthro animals. We have catfolk, aradan(mice), and kuo-toa(fish). we are having trouble finding a race for dogs, rabbits, and frogs. Trying to avoid the savage species solution. any help would be appreciated.

edit: we considered hound archon, but too much LA+HD

Khatoblepas
2022-01-02, 02:17 PM
Marruspawn (Sandstorm) are some of my favorite dog-like races, the marrulurk especially is a tiny jackal man.

Lupin (Dragon Compendium) are another dog-like race.

Bullywugs (Monsters of Faerun) are the classic frog men race, but they might not be froggy enough for you.

Rabbits are the most difficult, since there aren't many rabbit-like races in D&D 3.5. What kind of thing were you hoping for? Cowardice? Speed? Jumping ability?

Khazreil
2022-01-02, 02:23 PM
Rabbits aren't particularly cowardly, but the aesthetic matters most

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-01-02, 02:52 PM
Refluffing (heh) is always an option. So take a marrulurk and say it's a rabbit assassin race.

Kobolds are like lizard/dog/humanoid crossbreeds. And grippli (Dragon #324) are brightly colored poison tree frog-men, just as neraphs are toad-man outsiders.

Crake
2022-01-02, 03:41 PM
Gnolls are hyena people, so that covers canine.

Edit: Also, I've always seen kuo-toa as more frog-people based on their picture in the monster manual and their sticky skin, wheras Sahuagin are more fish people due to having fins all over their body. There's also the Bullywug as a frog-like race too.

FauxKnee
2022-01-02, 03:56 PM
Grippli (dragon magazine #324) are a possible choice for frog folk.

The Glyphstone
2022-01-02, 04:18 PM
Hare hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures, in their hybrid form, might be your only non homebrew/refluffed option for a rabbit race.

ShurikVch
2022-01-02, 07:28 PM
Despite it's related to Savage Species (Web Enhancement (https://web.archive.org/web/20160816090820/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/SS_Enh.zip)) - Laika is 1 HD and LA +0

mucat
2022-01-02, 08:34 PM
Over on the Pathfinder 1e side, Grippli is fully written up as a PC-worthy species. They're brightly colored treefrog people, smaller than halflings and gnomes, so they may or may not serve the role your DM has in mind for in her merc group.

But since your GM is making a tightly focused NPC group rather than trying to worldbuild whole societies (for now, at least), I would focus less on the races as a whole and more on designing memorable individuals. What would be cool signature moves for surprises for that rabbitfolk assassin to be able to pull, and how would their personality play with or against the players' expectation of rabbits? If the players find these NPCs fun and engaging, then the GM can start to think about questions like "Is that crazy standing high jump trick specific to Conie, or can all her people do that?"

The Viscount
2022-01-02, 10:47 PM
But hyenas are more closely related to felines than canids so [etc.]

Monsters of Faerun also featured the Siv, a separate humanoid froglike race.

Web enhancement wise, there's the O'bati (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040530a).

If you want to get crazier there's always the Mud Slaad from Fiend Folio (maybe take away the summon and make them MH instead of Outsider).

ShurikVch
2022-01-03, 06:24 AM
Speaking of sivs - there is also Ba'traa (https://web.archive.org/web/20130531110913/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/bs/20040829a) template

Also, Moreau from d20 Modern have canine variant

PoeticallyPsyco
2022-01-04, 03:19 AM
Cheating a bit, but there's always Shifters (several Eberron books, MMV), aka the Weretouched. Mostly humanoid by default, they become more animalistic a couple of times per day, complete with stat boosts and a natural weapon or movement option depending on what type of Lycanthrope (or in some cases other voluntary shapeshifter like Druid) they're descended from.

The real advantage, though, is that they've got a lot of support compared to most of the other furry races. Too many feats to name here (anything with the [Shifter] tag also increases the uses/day and duration of your shifting), cool alternate class features (for Druid, Ranger, and Wilder), and prestige classes exclusive to shifters (Moonspeaker, Weretouched Master) or playing off being a Shifter (Bloodclaw Master, Warshaper). There's actually a whole handbook (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?225294-3-5-The-Shifter-Handbook-(WIP)) for it.

So while in theory you might be less animalistic than other races, you'd be able to lean into it mechanically a lot better.

Troacctid
2022-01-04, 03:54 AM
Neraphim (PlH) are pretty froggy.

Psyren
2022-01-04, 03:00 PM
Another option for dogs/wolves are PF's Rougarou. You can also do Skinwalkers and play up the animal features since they can stay in hybrid form indefinitely, which gives you a ton more options (bats, crocodiles, boars etc.)

For rabbits, you can convert 5e's Harengon back to 3.5/PF without too much trouble.

Gavinfoxx
2022-01-04, 05:28 PM
Anthro animals in 3.5e and PF that you can generally get to a balanced LA+0 3.5 type power level with only minor tweaking:

Grippli
Hadozee
Kenku (including PF Tengu)
Lupin
Faun
Nezumi (Including PF Ratfolk)
Phanaton
Raptoran
Tibbit
Tortle
Vanara
Hengeyokai (including PF Kitsune, also check the PF Hengeyokai writeup for options that look more animalistic in normal form)
Catfolk

Crake
2022-01-04, 06:41 PM
Anthro animals in 3.5e and PF that you can generally get to a balanced LA+0 3.5 type power level with only minor tweaking:

[...]
Tibbit
[...]

Afaik tibbit lack a hybrid form, they're either humanoid (of the monstrous variety no less), or feline, they have no in between.

Gavinfoxx
2022-01-04, 06:54 PM
Afaik tibbit lack a hybrid form, they're either humanoid (of the monstrous variety no less), or feline, they have no in between.

Look up some Tibbit fanart sometime. Much of it flavors their bipedal form as the catfolk version of halflings. The look of the humanoid form isn't clearly defined in the source material...

Aside from someone's blue cat-rabbit fursona named Tibbit I mean. The actual d&d inspired stuff. It ranges from vaguely feline facial features halflings to nekomimi type halflings to catfolk anthro halflings.

OwO

Wildstag
2022-01-04, 10:38 PM
Wildren from Planar Handbook are badger-dwarves with a +1 LA. It's a shame that Goatfolk have 3 RHD, otherwise they'd be decent enough for a +1 LA race. I'm not even certain why they have the hd, their abilities don't seem strong for +1 LA by itself.

For a "kinda-furry" race, see Darfellan, which are basically walking Orca Whales.

The Glyphstone
2022-01-07, 12:35 AM
Now I'm curious, does 3.5 have a mole-person race?

ShurikVch
2022-01-07, 09:19 AM
AFAIK, the only mole-anything in the 3.X are Brain Mole (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/brainMole.htm) and Urdlen (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Urdlen)

Monsters of Faerūn have Groundlings, but they're more "badgers" (or "groundhogs") than "moles"

Wildstag
2022-01-07, 12:44 PM
The closest to a mole-person I know of is the Armand, but they're more like an armadillo/mole mix (at least in appearance). Mechanically, they're almost certainly armadillos (it's kinda hard to tell with that art tbh).

P.S. 3.5, and PF to a greater extent, isn't really helpful towards people that want to play furry herbivorous races. Pathfinder's especially bad in that way, with all of their furry races being omnivorous or carnivorous, tending towards the latter. 3.5 at least had herbivorous hengeyokai options in addition to their multitude of monstrous race options.

Gavinfoxx
2022-01-08, 01:45 PM
The closest to a mole-person I know of is the Armand, but they're more like an armadillo/mole mix (at least in appearance). Mechanically, they're almost certainly armadillos (it's kinda hard to tell with that art tbh).

P.S. 3.5, and PF to a greater extent, isn't really helpful towards people that want to play furry herbivorous races. Pathfinder's especially bad in that way, with all of their furry races being omnivorous or carnivorous, tending towards the latter. 3.5 at least had herbivorous hengeyokai options in addition to their multitude of monstrous race options.

There's plenty of 3rd party PF stuff on D20PFSRD for rabbit folk or similar...

Analytica
2022-01-16, 12:31 PM

Gnomes. :D

Saintheart
2022-01-16, 06:25 PM
My GF is brewing up her first campaign, and is making a mercenary group of NPCs. This group is entirely made of anthro animals. We have catfolk, aradan(mice), and kuo-toa(fish). we are having trouble finding a race for dogs, rabbits, and frogs. Trying to avoid the savage species solution. any help would be appreciated.

edit: we considered hound archon, but too much LA+HD

Um ... I notice nobody's pointed out the obvious, that being: these are NPCs. Level Adjustment is only relevant for PCs. DMs only have to calculate off CR, if anything (and eyeball it on the four crucials of attack bonus, damage, AC, and special ability DCs). LA can be freely ignored.

Tag365
2022-01-19, 01:33 AM
For a "kinda-furry" race, see Darfellan, which are basically walking Orca Whales.

Now I want to know if there's a baleen whale based race.

Troacctid
2022-01-19, 03:51 AM
Now I want to know if there's a baleen whale based race.
That would make quite a splash if there were. But I don't think there is one, so I guess whale never know.
https://c.tenor.com/-yWxI70bGB4AAAAM/angry-live.gif

Saintheart
2022-01-19, 05:06 AM
That would make quite a splash if there were. But I don't think there is one, so I guess whale never know.
https://c.tenor.com/-yWxI70bGB4AAAAM/angry-live.gif

No need to keep harpoon on about it.

Gavinfoxx
2022-01-19, 09:54 AM
Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale, Savage Species pg #215. That said, most of the Anthropomorphic Animals (there's a big list!) in Savage Species are... very low effort in their stats, let's say. I wouldn't use it as anything other than a starting point.

Tag365
2022-01-19, 03:53 PM
Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale, Savage Species pg #215.

I already own that book and know that race exists. So, do you know of any baleen whale races that aren't baleen whales with the anthropomorphic template applied, aka, something other than the Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale?

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-01-19, 03:57 PM
I already own that book and know that race exists. So, do you know of any baleen whale races that aren't baleen whales with the anthropomorphic template applied, aka, something other than the Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale?Awaken spell? Maybe lycanthropy?

Wildstag
2022-01-19, 06:23 PM
Awaken spell? Maybe lycanthropy?

Lycanthropy favors the predatory, so it could work for the baleen, I guess.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-01-19, 07:17 PM
Lycanthropy favors the predatory, so it could work for the baleen, I guess.Almost all "herbivores" regularly eat meat. I've seen cows and horses eat baby chickens before, and I know deer will feed off of carrion when hungry. Even turtles will eat bones for the extra calcium.

Basically what I'm saying is you should be able to use virtually any animal for it; the arbitrary restrictions on animal type are pretty dumb, if you ask me.

Wildstag
2022-01-19, 10:13 PM
Almost all "herbivores" regularly eat meat. I've seen cows and horses eat baby chickens before, and I know deer will feed off of carrion when hungry. Even turtles will eat bones for the extra calcium.

Basically what I'm saying is you should be able to use virtually any animal for it; the arbitrary restrictions on animal type are pretty dumb, if you ask me.

Oh, I've said as much up-thread, especially in regards to Paizo. However, the primary thing about the "herbivores eating meat" is that it's not actually regular. They can not subsist off of meat and for the most part aren't built for tearing meat apart.

I don't think lycanthropy is hard-coded to be for predators, since at least one omnivore gets represented. Mostly it's just an issue of not having statblocks for were-rabbits, which is a shame because that was a great addition to the Wallace & Gromit canon.

Saintheart
2022-01-20, 01:25 AM
Lycanthropy favors the predatory, so it could work for the baleen, I guess.

An American Whale-Man in London rated well in the plankton horror fan demographic, I hear.

ShurikVch
2022-01-29, 08:44 AM
By the rules in the Dragon #293, Baleen Whale is playable at ECL 13 (thus, LA either +1, or -1 - if listed ECL is for Awakened or Celestial/Fiendish Baleen Whale)
Despoiler of Flesh - major artifact from the Book of Vile Darkness can reshape the whale into the more anthropomorphic shape:

For example, the wielder could change the form of a wolf into that of a human known to him. He could then (using the Despoiler of Flesh again) give that human purplish black skin and tentacles for arms.