PDA

View Full Version : Travels amongst the Border Princes II (WFRP 2e) IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

dojango
2022-01-02, 06:18 PM
https://lpix.org/3275829/Border Princes 1.png
https://ehillerman.unm.edu/sites/default/files/dhotd4_111_23_3.png

It is a dark night in the shadow of the Inselberg. The caravanserai buzzes with activity as some of the men from the caravan are waking up as they realize that two strings of horses have gone missing, ridden out past the sleeping guards into the wilderness. The caravan master, a tall, thickset man, is screaming at the two guards as a few others are scurrying around examining the tracks. The men (and one woman) are ignoring Severin and Gabriele as they run about. Harman has remained on guard back at Lorenzo's camp, after all, it wouldn't do to leave it unguarded when horse thieves are about.

Haval
2022-01-02, 09:38 PM
To Severin quietly, 'I think someone had a little too much to drink. Or they've never had to stand watch before.' It was good to feel like she knew what she was doing.'You want to see which direction they went in? If there's that many horses they shouldn't be hard to follow.'

dojango
2022-01-05, 09:36 PM
The path the riders took south is fairly clear. With Gabriele's sharp hearing, she hears one of the guards growl, "Gods-damned goat-lovers. Pack of useless thieves." Another guard mutters back, "Might be those halflings. They're always up to no good." Although it's dark, there might be enough moonlight to get some clues from the tracks.

rax
2022-01-06, 07:42 AM
"You need any help tracking the thieves? It's night, but Gabriele's a good tracker and my eyesight is better than yours in the dark," Severin asks the guards.

LarsWester
2022-01-06, 03:24 PM
Harman maintains a lonely guard of Lorenzo's camp as Gabriele and Severin can be seen discussing something with the guards from the other caravan. He can't make out the words but it appears that something went very wrong with their guards neglecting their duties. Harman decided to do a quick walk of Lorenzo's perimeter.

Haval
2022-01-06, 08:54 PM
"You need any help tracking the thieves? It's night, but Gabriele's a good tracker and my eyesight is better than yours in the dark," Severin asks the guards.

'Maybe I can point you in the right direction anyway. Techically we're supposed to be on watch.'

dojango
2022-01-07, 11:03 AM
Harman does another lap around Lorenzo's camp, and is satisfied that there are no thieves lurking in the darkness. It is getting close to when the watch will switch, and his warm bedroll is calling. At the other camp, it's not difficult to see where the horse-thieves have headed, even at night; the path of the torn-up ground leads clearly to the south. One of the guards (the one who had muttered about halflings) looks at Severin and says, "I ain't riding out into the darkness to hunt thieves. If the boss wants us to go out there we'll do it in the morning."

rax
2022-01-09, 09:20 AM
"It's your call," Severin replies with a shrug.

"Let's head back to our posts then," he says to answers Gabriele.

Haval
2022-01-09, 05:03 PM
'Fair enough. Easier to track when it's light anyway.' It would frankly be embarrassing if someone decided to rob Lorenzo's camp while she was distracted. 'I wonder if they're right and Gretchen has a few more horses now?'

dojango
2022-01-10, 10:29 PM
The two of you return to the camp and consult with Harman. Another hour or so passes and it is time to wake the other guards. They get out of their bedrolls, grumbling, and nod grimly when warned about the theft in other camp. Then you turn in for the night. When you wake up there is the faint chill of autumn lingering in the air. You can see smoke rising from the chimneys of Inselberg and from the nearby campfire, where Bastien is making stock from the rabbit bones from last night. He ladles out a generous portion of stew for the three of you and the other guards begin speculating about what happened last night. Hearing the news, Lorenzo hikes over to the other caravan's camp, saying cheerfully, "It's an ill wind that blows no good." The guards shrug at that. The day is young and you all are released from your duties as watchmen.

LarsWester
2022-01-11, 10:34 PM
Harman looks at the other two. Should we go lend our skills in tracking down the horse thieves of that other camp? Or should we run that by Lorenzo first? Harman looks eager at the thought of tracking bandits again.

rax
2022-01-12, 03:34 PM
"The other lot didn't sound too enthusiastic about it when Gabriele and me offered to help last night," Severin replies. "And I'd say Lorenzo seems quite pleased with this incident. I'm not sure he'd want his employees to be helping them out of a hole they dug for themselves by having guards who sleep on the job. Speaking of jobs, I think we've all got enough on our plates without adding this to our list. Gabriele and I still need to do some exploring and questioning up top," he reminds Harman.

Haval
2022-01-12, 08:13 PM
Gabriele will gratefully take some stew. 'I wouldn't say no to trying, but if Lorenzo's happy enough with the situation. At the very least I think we could see if they'd pay us for that sort of thing. If they don't want their horses being knicked maybe they should have got better guards.'

LarsWester
2022-01-17, 10:05 AM
Harman sits and pokes the fire with a stick. When it is just the three of them he speaks up. Since the two of you are helping me look for Lustig I've been thinking. That scum
"Tick" you pointed out up the mesa. He jumped that young lad for a pair of boots. What do you think he might try against a drunk guy with a pistol complaining about a lack of powder? Our next free night if I can act a drunk with a loose tongue perhaps I can lure him out into the woods where the two of you are waiting and spring a trap. Do you think it might work? Also what do you think about getting Lorenzo to offer the three of us guards as troubleshooters to work on any problems the mine might be having in meeting production quotas? Harman stops talking to scarf down some stew and give the others a chance to think and reply.

rax
2022-01-17, 07:01 PM
Severin scratches his whiskers as he considers Harman's suggestions. "It might work," he concedes of the idea to lure out Tick. "I don't know if he'll consider a pistol with no powder that much of a draw, though. There doesn't seem to be that much of a market for firearms down here - getting hold of powder is apparently tricky," he says.

"As for using Lorenzo to worm our way into Sol's good graces, that's not a bad idea either. It would help to have someone put in a good word for us, and Sol might not be too suspicious if Lorenzo offers our help as a way to get a better deal for himself. Of course, before that happens, we need to make sure Tick isn't around to identify us," he muses.

LarsWester
2022-01-17, 10:01 PM
Harman nods and adds Which brings us back to that first point. Tick jumped a guy for worn out boots and even if the pistol isn't enough bait. The complaining about the uselessness of my crowns when there is no powder should entice him. If we could convince the bartender to water down my drinks for a few coins that could help the act. Harman shakes his head and mutters it's only an idea it might be dumb.

dojango
2022-01-18, 08:20 PM
Gabriele spends some time at the pulqueria gossiping with the drinkers. For the price of a few rounds, she starts to develop a clearer picture of the cliques in the town. The locals mostly keep their heads down and their doors locked at night. As refugees and their children, they know that things can always get worse, and as long as the bandits are paying for their food and drink it beats the alternative... The caravan guards are a motley bunch and they are full of endless complaints about the crappy food and booze, having to sleep on the ground, having to hike up the blasted hill for all that, the lines at the brothel... but it makes good money for their bosses so at least they get paid. And overland travel has been pretty safe for the past few years. They have a few lurid stories of the attacks on the riverboats, whole crews slaughtered and ships left to drift down the cataracts, to be smashed into flinders by the angry river...

Finally she talks to a few of Sol's men. The newer ones, signed on in the past few years, are mostly stuck with the worst jobs, guarding the slaves in the mines, or actually going out on patrols, while a few old-timers are thrilled with their new status. She does learn that the newest hires have the worst jobs, and have to work seven days out of eight. One of them, an older man, missing a few teeth and fingers, says, "Lady, this is great. We shoulda figured out this scam ages ago. Instead of hunting down the caravans and raiding them, they come to us and give us money. We don't even have to beat them up, they just hand it over."

Haval
2022-01-18, 10:45 PM
Gabriele will consider Harman's point carefully. 'A drunk man with a gun might be kind of persuasive if he doesn't have many mates with him. And we wouldn't need to even go to any woods. I'd be happy enough to knock him off the top of the mesa if I had the chance.' She'll look at Harman to assess him, 'I'd say if you look drunk enough around him there's every chance he might have a go at robbing you no matter what you say to him. The question would be, can we stay close enough to step in if things go bad for you, or else how well can you handle yourself anyway? We're not seen you fight yet?'

Later

For all that Gabriele was hearing about it second hand, the stories of the attacks on river boats sounded like worse then bandits. Were there any survivors?

To the older man, 'This must be how nobles happen. Tollares will be calling himself a Duke any minute.'

LarsWester
2022-01-19, 09:24 AM
Harman laughs I'm not a great champion but I should be able to hold my own against a middling bandit. At least for long enough for the two of you to jump in and help. I think we give this plan a go the next night we have off guard duty.

dojango
2022-01-20, 10:42 PM
The man laughs and says, "Of course there were survivors. The attackers made it out just fine." And at the Duke comment he says, "Ya know I saw a guy try to become a Duke once. Back in Stralwald. Otto just walked up and stabbed him in the eye. Next thing we knew there was fire all around and everyone was tryin' to settle their scores. Me and Sol cut our way out. And Beau. Nah, best to stay the way he is, we all know he's the boss."

Planting bait rumors and finding more about Tick's schedule will need gossip checks from Harman and Severin

Haval
2022-01-21, 09:18 PM
'Maybe. But they sound like the enthusiastic type to kill everyone. Why worry about leaving witnesses down here.' On hearing about the aspiring Duke, 'I didn't hear about that. I suppose neither Sol nor Otto like putting on airs. I can respect that.'

dojango
2022-01-23, 10:52 PM
Harman spends some time drinking and showing off his piece. He finds some of the more disreputable guards while they are drinking and talks to them for a while. He definitely spots some of them eyeing the valuable weapon. When he complains about the lack of powder, they sympathize with him. Apparently Sol has a small store of it, but the only one who uses guns around here is Beauregard Scully, Sol's "troubleshooter". When he sees trouble, he shoots it, they say. He has a pair of good pistols that he keeps in spotless condition when he's not wandering around the town, looking for trouble. They point him out to Harman, a thin, rangy man leaning on a wall, keeping an eye on the pulqueria and the brothel for a while.

Severin also speaks to some of the guards and finds out about their schedule. The guards complain endlessly about it; they have to stick around the mine, working, seven days of an eightday week. On their days off the guards usually head up to the pulqueria and the brothel to get drunk, pick fights, blow off some steam, gamble, and generally cut loose as much as they can. After all, there isn't much else to spend their meager wages on. Some of the guards are having a laugh at the plight of one of the herdsmen. Apparently a few days ago one of them, some kid, came up to sell some livestock and then couldn't handle his liquor at the brothel. He somehow managed to lose a fat purse of gold while drunk and get beaten up and tossed in a midden heap. His tribe or clan or whatever is proper pissed...

LarsWester
2022-01-26, 09:23 AM
Harman performing more intoxicated than he really is stumbles over to a section of the wall near this Beauregard Scully. Harman places a hand on the wall and leans into it turning his head slowly towards the "troubleshooter". Rumor has it that you shoot guns. Got any spare powder or shot.
I'm nearly out. Harman pulls out his pistol at this point and shows Beauregard frowning. It's pretty but pretty useless without powder and shot.

Haval
2022-01-26, 04:12 PM
Gabriele has made sure she stays in sight of Harman this whole time. To her new friend, 'You said you worked with Otto? How is he as a boss? Or does the fact that you're working for Sol answer that?' She won't ask him about whether he's robbed many caravans himself because she didn't think she could keep pretending to be indifferent about that.

dojango
2022-01-29, 12:26 AM
Harman feels the troubleshooter's eyes on him as he fake-stumbles towards him. The man is assessing Harman as a threat or not, and as Harman leans up next to him, he gives Harman a quiet nod. "Enjoying yourself, friend?" he responds. As Harman pulls out his own pistol, the man's hands twitch, but he decides Harman isn't a threat, and he rests his hand on his own pistol. "Don't take your guns to town, kid," he then says. "Especially if it's out of powder. I get it special from the Tilean merchants. Might want to talk to them, see if they can deliver some next time they come through."

The old veteran says to Gabriele, "Hah, it's ancient history. Me and Sol and Otto and Beau all usedta work for Sir Oliver. This old geezer of a knight. Ruled Stralwald from the castle there. After, uh, he died, Otto killed the captain of the guard, this pompous git, who thought he'd take over. Then ****, Otto's boys jumped all the officers and me and Sol legged it. Then, uh, we were in Stralwald for a bit, you know set ourselves up there until the Duke Bremcote chased us out. So we came here. I guess Otto and his boys went south, across the river. Can't say I miss them. Weird, vicious bastards."

rax
2022-01-29, 08:24 PM
Severin has been keeping a low profile, dividing his time between trying to keep an eye on Harman and Gabriele as they pursue their respective plans, but he's closest to Gabriele when the veteran reminisces about the death of Sir Oliver.

"Weird and vicious how? Ambitious sorts knifing their leaders isn't that uncommon around here, is it?" he interjects.

Haval
2022-01-30, 01:27 PM
'I don't think I was ever going to work for Otto but it's always nice to hear about him from those that know him.' Gabriele interjects. 'And here's me never having to knife anyone. Maybe I'm just lucky.'

To the veteran, 'Is Sol hiring by any chance? What's the work like?'

LarsWester
2022-01-31, 02:43 PM
Harman manages to act sheepish as the troubleshooter scolds him for his foolishness. Tucking his pistol back in its holster he mumbles suppose you're right, sir. then louder Know any good Tileans? he then laughs as if it is a great joke. Serious how long do you think it would take for them to come back with some powder?
Harman during this discussion is looking over his shoulders. He looks paranoid but is actually trying to see if he can locate Tick.

[roll0] looking for Tick or any River bandits from my days in the Empire
spending a FP if it fails. Vs 56
[roll1] not needed

dojango
2022-01-31, 06:28 PM
"Ah, that guy was askin' for it. But Otto and his boys... man, I dunno. They'd spend some time torturing captives because they were bored. Whipped horses to death just because. Killed a bunch of servants for no reason..." You reflect on the life of this old mercenary and soldier and what crimes and cruelties have become commonplace to him. For "Otto's boys" to have unsettled him, they must be quite sinister indeed.

The veteran says to Gabriele "Honestly I dunno if a woman like you wants to work for Sol. Newcomers haveta work as guards in the mines for a while to prove their loyalty and I don't see your type as wanting that. If you gotta try it, if I'm wrong, you can find Renn the Chiseler and he'll sort you out."

Beaurgard shrugs to Harman and says "I don't keep track of the merchants except to make sure their boys don't cause trouble while enjoyin' the town. A new caravan just came by the other day, might want to talk to them if they have any spare powder." Harman doesn't spy Tick lurking around. Thinking back, someone had said the guards only get one day week off, so the next time Tick will probably be off is in four days.

rax
2022-02-01, 04:03 PM
"Otto sounds like the sort o' fellow that might serve everyone best by embracing Morr sooner rather than later..." Severin responds darkly. "People like him seem distressingly common around these parts," he adds.

Haval
2022-02-02, 12:41 PM
Gabriele agreed, 'Sort of person who might be worried about everyone else ganging up on him.'

To the veteran, 'Would depend on what the pay's like wouldn't it. What's so bad about working down the mine anyway? Assuming you got light and the roof isn't falling in. Or are the stories about you boys having some trouble down there true?'

dojango
2022-02-03, 10:10 PM
"His hideout is somewhere south of the Igerang River, in the trackless wilderness. You're welcome to take a shot at him... but best make your peace with Morr before you go. Don't know of anyone whose gone there and come back. Besides, let him rot down there! Here there's beer and women and song! Well, this stuff. It grows on you!" He grabs another mug of pulque from the bar, the bartender merely nods in acquiescence. Back to Gabriele he says, "Those tunnels were built by the dwarves, you know." He holds his hand about neck high. "You want to be stooped over all day, breathing in fumes and smoke, just waiting for the roof to close in on you or a slave to pick you in the back! I dunno what happened, couple men went missing a few weeks ago. Some of the workers too, I guess. Probably managed to run away if you ask me."

rax
2022-02-05, 06:36 PM
"Isn't Sol curious about what happened? Surely someone must have seen something if they ran off?" Severin asks concerning the missing guards and slaves.

Haval
2022-02-05, 09:36 PM
Gabriele holds her hands up, 'Hey, I wouldn't go that far. But there's a fair few local bigwigs down here who all seem to have their own armies.' She'll drop it. 'But you're probably right. Sounds like they couldn't pay me enough to go down there. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but there are limits.'

On the mines, 'Ok, a Dwarf mine isn't going to fall down at least. But has anyone explored it properly?'

dojango
2022-02-07, 10:39 PM
"You sound like that old guy who came by a few days ago. He wanted to explore the place too, probably looking for treasure or something. But you couldn't pay me to go down in those dark tunnels." The man shudders at the thought. "Sol will figure it out, he always does. What's it to you, anyway?

rax
2022-02-08, 04:24 PM
"We're working a contract as guards for the Beltramo caravan," Severin answers with a shrug. "Beltramo was pissed to find out that the copper production is down since it seems like he won't be able to buy what he needs from Sol. We heard these rumours, so we figured we'd see if we could connect the dots and see if there's some money to be made on the side."

LarsWester
2022-02-08, 10:08 PM
Harman leaves the troubleshooter and makes his way across the bar loses his stumble act as he passes a few other people. He walks up to Severin and Gabrielle. I forget are we on guard duty tonight or is it our night off? the man asks innocently inserting himself into the conversation.

Since Tick isn't drinking tonight no point playing bait. I thought I'd reunite with the others.

Haval
2022-02-09, 07:53 PM
Gabriele nods at Severin's comment about money, 'And I wouldn't say no to treasure either if there's anything down there. Just as long as the tunnels aren't full of goblins or anything.' She had heard the stories of the sort of thing that moved into Dwarf tunnels once all the Dwarves left. To Harman, 'Aren't we off tonight. You got plans?'

LarsWester
2022-02-10, 11:21 AM
Harman shrugs his shoulders. Nothing comes to mind. Don't see anything here of interest and if I have any more of the drink I may get sick. What about you any plans for tonight?

Haval
2022-02-10, 11:26 PM
'Let's just try and stay out of trouble then.' Gabriele will buy the veteran a drink as a thankyou. It wasn't as if they could discuss anything properly with other people there. There was always the matter of investigating the mine properly.

dojango
2022-02-11, 11:05 AM
The veteran tips his hat to Severin as he drains the offered drink. As the three of you discuss your plans, the older man heads off towards town. Before disappearing into the maze of alleys, he talks briefly with Beauregard.

OK, so do you want to try to sneak into the dwarf ruins, investigate the slave-labor camp, or something else?

LarsWester
2022-02-14, 02:46 PM
Harman sat there chewing his lip for a second before offering up Your friend isn't around tonight. I say we go and talk with Lorenzo about his offering us up to maybe sort the mine shortage out. It's really low risk to Sol to let us have a crack at it and it might lift Lorenzo in Sol's eyes if we can provide any sort of solution.

Haval
2022-02-14, 09:23 PM
'It'll let us see what Sol's like to deal with up close' Gabriele considers. Le Houet might actually appreciate that. 'If Lorenzo's willing I'd say there's no harm in asking. Maybe Sol would see us as disposable enough to let us go down there. If we don't come up again, it's not like he'd lose out on anything.' She can't help but remember the mutants at the Red Temple. 'You ever been underground Harman? We had some experience with something similar since we came south.'

LarsWester
2022-02-15, 03:26 PM
Harman shrugs his shoulders and answers Gabriele I'm not even going to pretend that the smuggler caves I've been are going to be remotely like going down in that mine. It will be new territory for me. Any advice?

rax
2022-02-15, 06:15 PM
"I think Gabriele is less concerned with the mines themselves than what we might find down there," Severin offers. "When we first got here, our caravan was attacked by cannibal mutants, and we ended up tracking them back to a temple cut right into a cliff. There were things there that...well, let's just say that the witch hunters would've had a field day smoking them out. Could be just about anything causing the disappearances, but I don't think either of us is in a hurry to run into more man-eating monsters..."

"We should still try and get ourselves hired, though. Probably the only way of checking for Myrtle anyway. So let's go see Lorenzo and find out if he wants to play our game!"

LarsWester
2022-02-16, 10:22 AM
Harman shudders Mutant cannibals. No can't say I've run into anything like that. Downright terrifying if you ask me. I'll follow your lead out of here Severin, let's find Lorenzo. Maybe you do the talking to him and explain the offer?

Haval
2022-02-16, 08:36 PM
'All I'd say is that we try not to get lost down there and we get out in a hurry if we really have to.' Gabriele will go looking for Lorenzo.

dojango
2022-02-17, 07:27 PM
Lorenzo is having a meal at the Millstone Inn with Galeazzo Carafa and another man you don't recognize. They are speaking in Tilean. As you approach, Lorenzo notices you and waves you over. He introduces you as his lead scouts. The third man is Arcadius Zeller, the master of the caravan that has just arrived. After everyone shakes hands, Galeazzo asks you how you are enjoying the delights of the town.

Haval
2022-02-18, 08:40 PM
'Honestly, given what I'd heard, it's a lot less rough then I was expecting' Gabriele replies. 'But maybe that's because we haven't got too close to Tollares' boys yet. We saw some of them rob a drunk the other night.' She's surprised to see Lorenzo's competion here. 'Did you find out what happened to your horses, Herr Zeller?'

rax
2022-02-20, 07:37 AM
"Eh, it's no Altdorf, but it's got a kind of rustic charm," Severin chuckles. "Rumour mill's buzzing, though. We hear there's been disappearances in the mine - guards and workers both. Though Tollares' people seem to be chalking it up to desertion and escapes so far."

LarsWester
2022-02-22, 05:24 PM
Maybe it's all got something to do with why there isn't enough ore for all of you merchants to take as much as you can carry. Harman says with a bit of a laugh unsure if anyone else found it funny.

dojango
2022-02-23, 04:03 PM
Arcadius Zeller shrugs and says, "Aye, some of them thieving goat-loving tribesmen must have taken them. I tell you this, if I were still a condottiero I would have those watchmen flogged within an inch of their life. Sleeping on guard duty is one of the worst crimes imaginable. But I will settle for stopping their pay and putting them on half rations until we return to Nirena."

Galeazzo adds, "The local tribesmen often try to steal horses and livestock whenever they can. They believe that if you cannot keep them safe, you do not deserve to own them. Mostly a minor nuisance, unless you now find yourself short on horses for your wagons..." he chuckles at that, and then says, "Yes, my colleagues and I were just discussing the problems with the mine. This copper mine is one of the more valuable projects in the region, and it would be a shame if it were to fall apart. That man... I talked to Nasir and he said there was a collapse in some of the deep galleries... but he is not the most reliable of narrators... so we do not know the full story. I should like to know what has happened, yes, very much. The head office needs to know."

rax
2022-02-25, 04:44 PM
"Well then, how about this? Us three have been talking, and while we can't fault signor Beltramo for his pay, we're thinking there may be a chance for us to make a nice little bonus here. But, we'd need your help to make it happen."

"We're just a bunch of nobodies to Tollares, but you're his business partners. One or all of you could approach Sol, indicating that you've also heard the rumours of mysterious disappearances in the mine, and let him know that if he'd like some help, Lorenzo Beltramo's got some gold-hungry scouts that'd be willing to look into the matter in return for a fair sum. And you're willing to let us try if it can help restore the productivity of his mine. Then maybe we get an extra payday and you get to know what's up with the mine, eh?" Severin suggests.

Haval
2022-02-27, 11:51 AM
'Thanks for the warning. I haven't had a horse for very long and would really like to hang onto him.' Gabriele is capable of staying awake on guard duty but with talk of flogging she's thankful they weren't working for Zeller.

After Severin speaks, 'At worst Tollares can only say no. At if there's anything going on down there that we should all know about, better to find out about it now.'

dojango
2022-02-27, 09:09 PM
Galeazzo raises an eyebrow and looks at Arcadius and Lorenzo. "That is an interesting idea. We are meeting with Sol very soon, we can make this proposal. Arcadius, do you have a few volunteers to go on this expedition? To make sure it goes the way we want it to?"

Arcadius looks closely at Severin, Gabrielle and Harman, and says, "Aye, I've got a couple of veteran bruisers who might be willing to have a little fun. They could use some... how do we say it... carne de los cannones... to accompany them."

"Well! It is settled. I'll pay 10g a head to find out what the problem with the mines is. Maybe we can connive Sol into throwing in a little extra for the pot. Any questions?" Galeazzo reaches out to shake hands.

LarsWester
2022-02-28, 11:55 AM
Very good. You'll let us know once you have Sol's blessing for the undertaking.
Wouldn't want to trespass. Harman shrugs looks over to Arcadius Used to be a Riverwarden old habits die hard.

Haval
2022-03-01, 09:57 AM
Gabriele will shake Galeazzo's hand. To Arcadius, 'Tell me about these lads of yours?"

rax
2022-03-01, 04:25 PM
"Deal's a good 'un, I reckon," Severin says.

dojango
2022-03-03, 10:38 PM
Arcadius says, "Well, one's a lass. Marina was a deepwatcher back in Tobaro before she got a hair to see the world. She'll be in. Zdenko, her man, he'll probably want to go with her. And Pietro's always good for for a brawl."

With that, the three merchants leave and head across the plaza to Sol's headquarters. After about an hour, they emerge into the afternoon sun and return to the inn. They sit back down and Galeazzo orders a bottle of wine, which he pours out into six cups. "We have a deal. Sol told us that problems started about six months ago, when they opened up some new tunnels in the mine. A few workers disappeared here and there, and he thought they found a secret exit to the mine. So they sent the workers in chained up so they couldn't escape. And it was fine, for a while, until a month ago, a whole crew disappeared. Eight workers and two guards. They sent a patrol in, but found nothing. Sent a second patrol and it disappeared. Four guards. So they closed off the new tunnels, and now they're not making their quota. He's been trying to cover it up because he didn't want us to know he wouldn't have enough. But now we know. So we've got permission to send in a patrol to the deep tunnels to see if we can find out what's going on. We'll meet up at the mine tomorrow morning. Bring whatever supplies you think you'll need. Oh, and he'll match our reward. So 20g per person if you can find out what happened to the missing guards."

Haval
2022-03-05, 10:58 PM
'Glad to have her along. Can't see why anyone would want to do all that for a living.' Gabriele will add to the others in private, 'We don't have to trust them, but I'd like to think other mercenaries aren't going to be acting too stupid if there's something dangerous down there.'

Later Gabriele will take the offered wine, 'They haven't found any sign of the disapeared? No blood or anything?'

rax
2022-03-06, 09:06 AM
In private
"They're probably just there for the money, so I think we can count on 'em to be thinking about getting back in one piece to collect. That should keep 'em from doing anything rash," Severin chuckles. "I reckon we'll need to stock up on rope, lamps, food and water. If people have been disappearing from newly opened tunnels, it stands to reason there's more ways about than the tunnels the current miners have made. So we don't know how long we'll be down there," he suggests when discussing the sorts of supplies they might need.

Haval
2022-03-06, 08:45 PM
In Private

'And wouldn't be a shame if we found a back door down there.'

rax
2022-03-07, 05:48 PM
In private
"Positively mortifying," Severin sniggers.

LarsWester
2022-03-08, 03:28 PM
Harman gathers all of his supplies and coin for the trip into the mines except the pigeons. Birds tend to die in mines in all the stories he's heard. Once he has his gear he waits quietly with the others feeling like he's missing something when Severin sniggers but that's fine by him.

Haval
2022-03-09, 12:21 PM
Gabriele notes Harman's expression. She'll talk quietly even if there wasn't anyone obviously in earshot. 'You know who they have doing the mining right?'

LarsWester
2022-03-09, 03:59 PM
Harman answers in hushed tones. I heard rumors that it was slave-labor, right?
Is it a goal of yours to break them free?

Haval
2022-03-10, 08:06 AM
'I feel like talking about that too openly would be bad. I think freeing them ourselves might be difficult, but I wouldn't say no.' Gabriele replies. 'Maybe it'll change things if we find out some of the slaves are the ones killing the guards.'

rax
2022-03-10, 04:16 PM
"Much as I'd like to, that's not the main goal, no," Severin agrees with Gabriele about breaking out the slaves. "We're looking for a girl. She disappeared at the end of the battle of Stralwald and we don't think she's dead. Tick, the human rat, may have grabbed her and sold her to Tollares. If she's down there, I'm gettin her out some way - I made a promise."

LarsWester
2022-03-11, 10:31 AM
Maybe if we resolve the issue with the mine Sol will be pleased and arrange for her freedom as part of our reward. Harman paused cautious against raising too much hope. Failing that you could possibly purchase her freedom. A mine is no place for a girl and if Sol was provided coin I'm sure he could find a more suitable worker. Describe the girl and I'll keep an eye out for her while we do this job.

Haval
2022-03-11, 08:23 PM
Maybe if we resolve the issue with the mine Sol will be pleased and arrange for her freedom as part of our reward. Harman paused cautious against raising too much hope. Failing that you could possibly purchase her freedom. A mine is no place for a girl and if Sol was provided coin I'm sure he could find a more suitable worker. Describe the girl and I'll keep an eye out for her while we do this job.

'I'd like to believe it'll be that easy.' Gabriele will give a description. 'I get the feeling they take anyone to work down there that they can catch.'

dojango
2022-03-11, 11:41 PM
The next morning, after breakfast, Lorenzo and Galezzo lead you over to Arcadius's camp where you meet with the other three adventurers. Marina is a woman with short wavy hair, and is carrying a huge pack with all sorts of gear strapped to it. Most curiously, she has a cage with a pigeon in it sticking out from her pack. Zdenko is a broad-shouldered bald man with tattoos covering his bare arms and neck where his skin is exposed, carrying a much smaller pack. Finally, Pietro is a lanky man with visible pox scars and has a half-dozen daggers strapped to his pack and belt. After introductions are made, the party heads around the edge of the mesa to the mine, where you are met outside the gate by Beauregard and another man who is introduced as Nasir. Beauregard looks over the group and stops to inspect Severin closely. He then says, "So these are the mercenaries who are willing to explore the mines. I don't know what, if anything, is down there, but don't touch anything and don't cause any trouble." He then looks over at Harman. "I had a feeling you'd be one of the volunteers." He hands Harman a powderhorn with enough powder for 10 shots. "From my personal supply. I'll want it back, if you return."

Haval
2022-03-12, 11:14 PM
Gabriele will look into getting some extra supplies before they go to bed. At the very least she'll look into getting more food and water. At the meeting she'll regard the other three mercenaries warily, especially Pietro. To Marina, 'What's with the pigeon?' It was hard not to find the other woman interesting given her job.

Later she will try to take Beauregard's inspection impassively, but will bristle a little at his obvious interest in Severin. He's wondering whether he can trust sending another Halfling down there.

rax
2022-03-13, 06:36 AM
"Morning all," Severin greets the other mercenaries and Sollares' men. "Before we head down, is there a map of the mines we can borrow? Preferably one with the locations marked where the workers and the patrol went missing?" He blithely ignores Beauregard's searching looks.

OOC: Severin will have tried to get hold of the following before the expedition:
- Waterskin; 8 s
- Rations for 24 hours; 6 s(?)
- Lantern; 5 gc
- Lamp oil x6 (24 hrs worth); 30 s
- Healing draught; 5 gc
= 12 gc, 4 s

Let me know if any of this is unavailable.

LarsWester
2022-03-14, 09:52 AM
Harman takes the generously offered power and shot from Beauregard. Thank you kindly. I'll return whatever of this I can. And it very well make the difference down there. What ever I use I'll end up paying you for of course. He finishing packing away the recently purchased rations and hefts his sling bag over his shoulder ready to depart with the others.

OOC:
Harman would like to have purchased a week of rations I paid the book price of 6s let me know if it is higher.
He is leaving his pigeons and horse up with the caravan. Everything else he is bringing with him.

dojango
2022-03-14, 11:48 PM
Marina says, "Down there, beneath the earth. There is, what we call, the mal-aria. But the bird is so small, it will be sick first? So watch the bird. If it falls over, then we go back. Quickly. Quick enough and maybe the bird will get better."

To Severin, Nasir says "There ain't no map of the caverns. Those who belong know the way. Take some chalk and mark the passage, nobody will disturb your marks."

Then Beauregard says, "Last chance to back out, friends. If you don't return in three days, we'll hold your funeral. And seal off the lower chambers for good."

rax
2022-03-16, 04:13 PM
"Ah! Chalk! Of course, the one thing I forgot to bring!" Severin exclaims dramatically. "Foolish of me, I'm sure, but I was under the impression that Master Tollares would be wanting us to succeed in solving his mystery. Chalk is all well and good for when we start exploring, but supposing you make it easy on us by telling us how many passages we can expect to be searching and whereabouts your people went missing?"

Haval
2022-03-16, 10:32 PM
With a worried look Gabriele will take the explanation about the bird seriously. 'And otherwise you wouldn't even know you were in danger. Good to know.'

She will try to be more diplomatic then Severin, 'How cramped are these lower chambers? Did any bother to go down there when the mining started?'

dojango
2022-03-20, 05:31 PM
"If something is down there it will find you," says Nasir. "Go down to the third level of the mine and head west sixty paces. You'll know it when you see it. These mines were built by dwarves so most everything is dwarf-sized." He indicates with his hands. "The little one will have no trouble. The rest of you... hope you brought helmets."

rax
2022-03-22, 06:20 PM
"We're all professionals here, eh? I'm sure everyone's practiced at keeping their heads down," Severin chuckles in reply. "But did anyone else think to bring chalk, or do we need to trudge back to the village and scare some up before we head down?"

dojango
2022-03-22, 06:52 PM
Marina pulls out a piece of chalk from her pocket, breaks it in half and hands a piece to Severin. "Charcoal works too, and rouge, if you got use it. Depends on the color of the rock. There's a lot of symbol we use down there, like... uh, I'll tell you about them later," she says.

Haval
2022-03-23, 01:21 PM
"If something is down there it will find you," says Nasir. "Go down to the third level of the mine and head west sixty paces. You'll know it when you see it. These mines were built by dwarves so most everything is dwarf-sized." He indicates with his hands. "The little one will have no trouble. The rest of you... hope you brought helmets."

'Can't exactly swing a sword while I'm sitting down. If this doesn't work out maybe you can see if Gretchen's available.' Gabriele can imagine her response to being asked.

On marking the walls, 'I'd rather rely on taking slow and not getting lost but it's best to be prepared.'

LarsWester
2022-03-24, 09:34 AM
Wall markings seems very sensible. And luckily I have a leather helmet. Harman pipes up.

rax
2022-03-24, 12:16 PM
"Well then, let's get on with it. If we wait any longer, I'll need a second breakfast before heading down there," Severin jokes.

dojango
2022-03-28, 05:29 PM
You enter the mines and head down the main shaft. The main shaft is large enough for a man to walk upright. The mines have been cleared of workers, so the only sound is your footsteps and the only light is that of your lanterns. Soon you reach a large pit that has ladder going down into the darkness. Several rope and pulley systems hang from timbers set into the ceiling. There are ledges around the pit, with much smaller tunnels leading off into the rock, but you keep climbing down to the bottom of the pit. A few more tunnels branch off, and Marina points to the one leading west. She heads down the tunnel in the lead, with Zdenko following behind. This tunnel is much smaller, anyone under 5 feet tall has to crouch uncomfortably in order to fit, lest they bump their head on the rough ceiling. After 60 paces, you come to a change in the tunnel. There are the remnants of a wall, it appears that the passage was once walled off, and then broken through. Just beyond, you see that the tunnel opens up into a much larger subterranean cavern...

LarsWester
2022-03-28, 09:57 PM
Crawling on his hands and knees Harman breathes a sigh of relief when they reach a more wide open cavern. He stands up, placing his hands on the small of his back he stretches forwards and back then side to side. That was some tight quarters there for bit. Guess not for you Severin. he says softly.

Haval
2022-03-29, 07:31 AM
Gabriele is on the look out for the Halfling 'workers' but is on balance grateful that they weren't around. It would be easy to misconstrue their being here. Inside the mine she is tall enough for the passage to be uncomfortable to move through. 'That wall would be from the Dwarves I take it?'

rax
2022-03-30, 12:11 PM
"Not being a longshanks has it advantages sometimes," Severin replies to Harman with a sly smile.

Studying the wall, he notes: "Generally speaking, when someone puts up a wall, it's because they want to keep people out or keep something in. Why doesn't it surprise me that Tollares didn't worry about stuff like that before breaking it down..."

"I'm pretty light on my feet and I see better in the dark than the rest o' you. Maybe I should be the first one through, eh?" he suggests to the others.

Haval
2022-03-30, 04:51 PM
'Wouldn't the cave wall be enough for that?' Gabriele isn't convinced. 'Maybe it's decoration? You live underground but you don't want to look at the bare cave wall all day.' She'll wave Severin on, 'Just be careful.'

dojango
2022-03-31, 04:02 PM
Severin enters the cavern first, with Marina and Zdenko on his heels. The big mercenary straightens up and says, "Ah, thank the gods, my back is killing me." Marina shushes him loudly, and casts her lantern light on the walls of the cavern. The ceiling is perhaps 10 feet high in most places, and there is a row of stone spikes descending from the ceiling, and a matching row coming up from the floor beneath them. The walls are slightly damp, and the cavern floor is sandy in patches and bare rock in others. There is a cluster of fat-looking mushrooms growing in sand. There are two exits to the room, one to the south and one to the west.

rax
2022-03-31, 04:08 PM
OOC: Stone spikes as in stalactites/stalagmites or spikes as in man-/dwarf-made?

dojango
2022-03-31, 09:37 PM
OOC: Stone spikes as in stalactites/stalagmites or spikes as in man-/dwarf-made?

Stalactites/stalagmites but does Severin know what they are?

LarsWester
2022-04-01, 03:55 PM
Should we continue goin' West or change direction to see what's beyond that door to the South? I think staying going the same direction is easier to avoid getting lost. Harman staring at both room exits.

rax
2022-04-01, 05:51 PM
Stalactites/stalagmites but does Severin know what they are? I doubt it. I asked mostly to find out if we as players were supposed to assume that they were some sort of man/dwarf made feature.

However, I've been in enough caves to feel that it's fair for Severin to not immediately assume that the spikes have been put there by the dwarfs. His reaction will be more along the lines of "what the h*ll are those?"

rax
2022-04-01, 05:57 PM
"Marina! What in Sigmar's name are those?" Severin whispers urgently, staring at the stone spikes.

"It'd be nice if there was a clue as to how to proceed," he answers Harman.

"Hmm, if there's sand, there may be tracks. Can you see anything, Gabriele?" he asks his friend.

Haval
2022-04-03, 08:39 AM
Gabriele will gratefully follow the others into the cave. 'Does that happen a lot?' She whispers about the spikes. Maybe the Dwarves had made them. She'll move around closer to the two exits to see if she could hear anything. She'll also check the ground for any sign that anyone might have come through here recently.

Will add a follow trail test to the rolls made in the ooc in case there are any tracks
Vs. Int 38
[roll0]

dojango
2022-04-05, 09:49 AM
Marina whispers back. "They are the teeth of dragons. When they roamed the earth. After they died, their bones turned to stone and caves. We are walking in what used to be a dragon's skull." And then, "Whichever way we go, we should mark it."

Gabriele and Harman study the mushrooms. They smell good, if nothing else. It seems familiar to Gabriele, but she can't quite remember what type of mushrooms they are. As she looks for tracks in the dim latern-light, she sees that the ground, where there's sand and dirt, has been churned up. Although she can't tell how many people have gone that way, there are tracks around both exits to the cavern. The only sound she hears in the cavern is the dripping of water, but as she gets closer to the exit to the west, she thinks she hears water flowing from that direction.

rax
2022-04-05, 03:03 PM
"Right, so here's a theory. If there's running water down the western exit, we're likely to reach an impassable point sooner rather than later. So exploring the western passage could be quickest. Anyone have a problem with us going down there first?" Severin asks.

Haval
2022-04-06, 09:23 AM
Gabriele just looks impressed at Marina's comment and will go to get a closer look at the 'teeth'.

"Right, so here's a theory. If there's running water down the western exit, we're likely to reach an impassable point sooner rather than later. So exploring the western passage could be quickest. Anyone have a problem with us going down there first?" Severin asks.

'So there might be a river or a lake down here? As long as we don't have to go swimming. Might as well rule out the western side first.'

rax
2022-04-08, 05:25 PM
"Alright then, let's get moving. I can take the lead if someone takes care of marking our passage. And maybe Marina should come second - you're the most experienced delver among us, eh?" Severin suggests.

dojango
2022-04-08, 10:13 PM
Marina nods at that and marks the passageway with her chalk. After Severin heads down the passageway she follows. Soon it gets cramped enough that she has to duck, and the other two men are nearly bent over. The rocky floor holds no tracks, and after a few moments Severin comes to a room hewn out of the rock. The room is at a crossroads of sorts, with passageways heading in all four directions, and on one side there is a stairway heading up and down into the depths. Inside the room strewn about are all sorts of sundries, pots and pans, wrecked furniture and shattered crockery. Amidst the mess are broken, splintered bones and a few smashed skulls...

rax
2022-04-09, 04:13 PM
Severin stops to examine the wreckage of the room, trying to determine who might have made the furniture, pots, pans, and the like.

"How long did Sol's lot say this new area was in operation before people started disappearing?" he asks the others.

Haval
2022-04-10, 01:10 PM
'Weren't these Dwarf mines at one point? Maybe all this has been here a long time.' Gabriele will get a closer look at the skulls to judge what race they came from.

In case it's not obvious where the skulls came from
Common Knowledge (Empire) vs. Int 38
[roll0]

dojango
2022-04-13, 11:08 AM
It's a sad truth but everyone's become very familiar with the dead over the past few years. The skeletons don't have the size of humans nor the thinner bones of halflings; the skulls are solidly thick and wisps of hair cling to some of them. Dwarves. There are four skulls in the room, so four of them must have died. The bones are old and dry. Marina looks nervously at the exits to the room and fidgets, while Zdenko and Pietro rummage through the rubble. "Nothin' but junk" mutters Zdenko, while Pietro picks something up and stows it in one of his pockets.

rax
2022-04-13, 05:55 PM
"Dwarves, eh? So this happened a long time ago then. Of course, whatever killed these fellows and wrecked the room could be responsible for our disappearances as well, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. Gabriele - just a thought - are the bones showing any indication that they were...chewed on?"

Haval
2022-04-13, 08:44 PM
'Might not prove anything. Could be rats down here.' Gabriele will check to see if she can make out any sign that something larger might have been chewing on these remains.

Outdoor Survival if it helps vs. Int 38
[roll0]

LarsWester
2022-04-14, 01:34 AM
Harman searches around the room for any clues that something within the area caused the deaths of these four dwarves. He is looking at the cavern walls for any scratches or runic writing.

[roll0]
I think search is the correct skill but he also has perception and outdoor survival.

rax
2022-04-14, 01:50 PM
"I figure if something bigger than a rat chewed on these poor buggers, then you'll probably notice," Severin chuckles in reply to Gabriele.

dojango
2022-04-15, 03:44 PM
In the penny dreadfuls, the heroic roadwarden is always able to tell a long tale from the state of a body; but to Harman's eyes these are just old bones. Very old bones, to be sure, and a lot less water-logged then the corpses he used to see floating down the river. A quick search of the room reveals a great deal of runic graffiti and a few stone tablets with runic dwarfish writing on it, but unfortunately he can't read dwarfish, so it means nothing to him.

Gabriele, of course, has seen plenty of chewed up bones in her times wandering through the woods, including human bones. Although these bones are old, they definitely have been chewed upon, and in many cases, deliberately cracked open to get at the marrow inside. Of course, the bones are so old, anything organic and edible would have decayed long ago.

LarsWester
2022-04-15, 04:28 PM
Well these dwarves may have come to their end here I believe this is just the start of our exploration. We have many choices here. Do we want to go up, down or stay on the same level? Harman looks at all the options for continuing forward and sees nothing indicating which way to go.

Haval
2022-04-15, 10:07 PM
Gabriele looks suitably disgusted. 'Something's definately been at these. Rats can't ususally break a shin bone in half like that. Whatever it was hopefully it's long gone though.'

To Harman, 'I'd say explore up here before we go any lower. Seems like everything might be more unstable the further in we go.'

rax
2022-04-17, 05:53 PM
"With everything smashed up in here and four dead, eaten, dwarfs, I'm thinking that this all happened at the same time...and maybe it's the reason this place was abandoned. We should tread very carefully," Severin says, worried eyes glancing at the exits from the room. "But I agree with Gabriele - let's try and cover this floor before we go up or down. I suggest we go left first."

dojango
2022-04-19, 11:14 AM
It takes about an hour, but you carefully explore this level. Immediately surrounding the central room, which Marina speculates is some sort of resting room for underground workers, are two larger store-rooms. One is filled with broken barrels and boxes, the wood little more than firewood now, while the other has a lot of heavy and specialized mining equipment and other assorted tools. There is also what is obviously a latrine. Finally, there is a third room that contains a large piece of complicated machinery attached to large copper pipes that lead into the wall. Exploring the tunnels that lead away from the room, one ends abruptly in a cave in, where the timbers supporting the mine have collapsed, while another one twists and turns through the ground before eventually petering out in a dead end. While most of what you find is either too damaged and rotten to be of use, Gabriele finds a small pouch with 9 unfamiliar silver coins in it tucked away in some clutter, Severin finds a very good-quality steel dagger under a pile of rags, and Harman opens up a relatively intact box and finds 17 heavy tallow candles. Both Zdenko and Pietro occasionally pocket something, and Marina finds a copper kettle that she hangs from her backpack, next to the bird cage. After a short rest back in the central room, Marina whispers to Severin, "Should we go up, or go down? Down is likely more dangerous. Keep a close eye on the bird if we go down."

Haval
2022-04-20, 11:01 AM
At the site of the machinery, 'The Dwarves made this didn't they? Not that anyone could get it out of here but it's probably worth something.' Gabriele will talk quietly just in case there was something else down here with them. To Severin, 'Might be a back exit to all this further up. Although maybe there's another way out at the foot of the mesa.'

rax
2022-04-24, 03:59 AM
"Whatever's up there, it's closer to the surface, and that means the tunnels will come to a stop when we reach it. The stairs down could go on for who knows how far? So if we want to make sure there's nothing coming up behind us, it would probably be fastest to check upstairs first and clear out any trouble we find there first," Severin reasons.

OOC: Sorry for the delay in replying. I needed more time than I thought to rest up.

LarsWester
2022-04-24, 10:16 AM
Harman was intrigued by the machinery and copper pipes its function a complete mystery to him. I agree with Severin. 'After all what goes up must come down.' Do we know anyone who knows dwarven technology that could fix that machine?

dojango
2022-04-24, 08:57 PM
Heading up the stairway for a quick few turns finds you in a room with a metal frame set into the far wall. Below the frame is a deep shaft that disappears into the depths below, above the frame a shaft seems to go up into darkness as well. Marina says, "When this was open there was probably a lift going up to the surface and down to where the mine workings were. No such luck for us, we have to climb."

Heading back up the stairs you ascend towards the surface. After many turns of the staircase, you find yourself higher than the valley floor, so you must be within the heart of the mesa. The stairway keeps going up until you find a corridor leading off into the mesa... but it is blocked by a stone wall.

LarsWester
2022-04-25, 08:15 AM
Harman cautiously peers inside the metal frame. He's looking for any type of control mechanism inside the frame that would have be used to raise of lower the frame. Marina do you think this lift would still be operable? At least just to raise it enough for us to get underneath. Do you think the air would be good down there? Since it opens up to here.

Haval
2022-04-25, 01:07 PM
Harman was intrigued by the machinery and copper pipes its function a complete mystery to him. I agree with Severin. 'After all what goes up must come down.' Do we know anyone who knows dwarven technology that could fix that machine?

'Not personally, but there's probably a Dwarf around here somewhere. I'm not sure they'd be ok with us taking things though.'

After they moved upstairs. 'No idea how this thing is supposed to work but I suppose the Dwarves know their business. If the lift is still working down there maybe we can use it to come back up?' Gabriele will take a look at the blocked corridor while they were up here. 'They wouldn't just build a corridor going nowhere would they? Did they drop this big rock to cover the entrance?'

rax
2022-04-25, 05:17 PM
"Stone walls here, stone walls down there. The Dwarfs didn't want anyone roaming around their old digs once they'd left," Severin mutters. "How are we for time and torches? Anyone fancy a bite to eat before we head down again?"

Haval
2022-04-25, 05:43 PM
'Couldn't hurt. But I don't want to hang around too long. I'd rather get out of here before night.'

LarsWester
2022-04-26, 12:49 PM
Harman smiles Never good to go exploring on a rumbling stomach. Especially a halfling's rumbling stomach.

rax
2022-04-26, 03:25 PM
OOC: That was just a bit of fun on my part. :smallsmile:

If dojango doesn't intend to spring an ambush on us while we eat, I suggest we can just fast forward to us having eaten and gone back down to start exploring the lower levels.

dojango
2022-04-26, 10:19 PM
Marina inspects the elevator more closely but shrugs. "Those engineers keep their secrets well, I don't know how these work. I think this looks broken though, there should be more... stuff... here to make it work. At least it brings good air into the depths and lets bad air escape. If we wanted to someone could try to climb up the shaft to see if it goes somewhere else, but it might just be a dead end."

Pietro seconds the idea of taking some time to eat, and the three mercenaries break out some dried rations and water and sit and rest for a bit, chatting in Tilean. Marina refills her lantern with oil and salvages some wood from the debris to make some crude torches, which she passes out to the others. They watch the shadows, twitching, worrying about an ambush, but nothing materializes.

rax
2022-04-27, 03:29 PM
"Alright then, everybody ready to go? Then let's head back down and see how deep we have to go..." Severin suggests once everyone's eaten their fill.

Haval
2022-04-27, 08:38 PM
Marina inspects the elevator more closely but shrugs. "Those engineers keep their secrets well, I don't know how these work. I think this looks broken though, there should be more... stuff... here to make it work. At least it brings good air into the depths and lets bad air escape. If we wanted to someone could try to climb up the shaft to see if it goes somewhere else, but it might just be a dead end."

Gabriele thinks of how far down the shaft goes. 'Probably too risky, even if there's something valuable up there. Tollares is free to come back here with climbers if he's that interested.' Afterwards she'll listen to the mercenaries talking in Tilean and try to see if any of it was familiar. Reikspiel and the smattering of Estelian that she'd picked up from her Grandma would only take her so far though.

Eventually she'll get up to follow Severin, 'And how deep is that? Is that story about the Dwarves having tunnels everywhere actually true?'

LarsWester
2022-04-29, 08:28 AM
While the others are discussing in Tilean amongst themselves and Severin and Gabrielle are having a discussion Harman inspect the open shaft more closely. Thinking that he could possibly climb keeping tension between two adjacent walls of the shaft. Marina I'm going to give it try. Harman takes out his rope and ties one end around his waist before handing the other end to Zdenko. The tall and strong investigator begins slowly creeping his way up a corner of the shaft. Keeping his tension alternately between his arms or legs he shimmies up the shaft. Progress is slow and tiring but he seems to be making progress none the less.

dojango
2022-05-01, 09:29 AM
With the strong mercenary (hopefully) having a firm grip on the other end of the rope, Harman climbs up into the darkness. It's hard going at first, and it doesn't get any easier after he leaves the comforting bubble of light down below. After a number of minutes, Harman's reaching hand feels the edge of a ledge and he is able to haul himself up and light one of his candles. He sees another room similar to the one he just left, with a twisted and wrecked metal frame around the shaft, and a tunnel leading off into the darkness. This room, however, is carpeted with shattered and wrecked bones covering most surfaces...

The bones are dry and desiccated, with no flesh or skin remaining. There are also dozens of weapons in their ruined hands. He estimates them to be the same age as the ones he examined earlier. The metal frame is study enough that he can affix the rope to make it easier for him to climb down, or for someone to climb up should they be so inclined. He also spies some dangling chains from some machinery at the top of the shaft.

LarsWester
2022-05-02, 10:21 AM
Relief floods over Harman as his candle light spreads across the chamber. That is until it reveals the rooms contents. Harman lays on the floor with his head over the shaft calling down. I made it up to the floor above. It's strewn with skeletons. I think there was a battle here long ago. There's also a passageway out of this room. Anyone else interested in coming up? I can secure this end of the rope so it will be an easy climb for you.
Harman quickly secures his end of the rope. He then inspects the dangling chains more closely does it look like the chain broke at some point. He also searches the weapons in the room for any that are of usable quality. As well as just a general search of the room. [roll0] spending a Fortune Point if it fails [roll1] or if Perception works instead the check is vs 56. 3/4 fortune points remaining.

rax
2022-05-02, 11:49 AM
Severin looks around at the others. "Well, he made the effort to get up there, and we would likley have had to investigate the shaft eventually. If there was a battle, I'm thinking it was probably against the same creature or creatures that did for the poor buggers we found earlier. I'm game to go up there and see where the passage leads if the rest of you are," he says.

Haval
2022-05-02, 10:40 PM
Gabriele will look at the rope suspiciously. 'Maybe once we're up there we can find another way down. I can't believe he actually made that climb.'

dojango
2022-05-03, 01:35 PM
While the others are climbing up, Harman takes some time to search the room. A closer look at the chain reveals that it wasn't broken... it was cut cleanly. Deliberately. Meanwhile, everyone takes turns to climb up the rope with another rope tied to them for support. Zdenko, the heaviest, goes last with both Pietro and Marino holding onto the rope tied around his waist as he climbs up. He curses has he hauls himself over the ledge and says "Yah, let's find another way."

While the others are climbing up you examine the bodies. The way the bones lie tells you that they were disturbed after they died, and were torn through and scattered. You've seen bodies torn apart by wild animals before in your previous career. Most anything of leather or wood has rotted away or is falling apart, leaving shining axe-heads and spear-points, and a few picks and shovels. The torn scraps of their clothes and leather armor is falling to pieces, while metal buckles and plates gleam in the candlelight. One of the bodies, however, has gold ring with purple stones set in it on the hand, and the skeletal hand is wrapped around a heavy dwarf-crafted sword covered with geometric decorative engravings. You can hear Severin making his way up the rope, you can quickly pocket the ring before anyone notices...

LarsWester
2022-05-03, 03:08 PM
Harman hears the others climbing up and heads over to the ledge where he offers a hand up to Severin.
I think the dwarves cut the chain to keep whoever killed these dwarves from using the elevator years ago. Most of it is useless scrap but there is a fine sword over here you should look at Severin. I think it made the bit of effort getting up here worth the chance. Should fetch a nice price.

Harman would pocket the ring rather than share it with the other mercenaries. But he is calling Severin's attention to the fine dwarven sword. Don't think we can hide it from the other 3 mercs.

Once everyone is up Harman suggests catching their breaths and then proceeding down the passage to see where it leads.

dojango
2022-05-03, 06:30 PM
Once he's up, Severin sees the bodies. The way the bones lie tells you that they were disturbed after they died, and were torn through and scattered. You've seen bodies torn apart by wild animals before in your previous career. Most anything of leather or wood has rotted away or is falling apart, leaving shining axe-heads and spear-points, and a few picks and shovels. The torn scraps of their clothes and leather armor is falling to pieces, while metal buckles and plates gleam in the candlelight. One of the bodies, however, has a skeletal hand wrapped around a heavy dwarf-crafted sword covered with geometric decorative engravings. As Severin examines it, he can hear Marina and Pietro climbing up the rope behind him.

Haval
2022-05-03, 09:02 PM
Gabriele will climb up very carefully and try not to look down the shaft as she does so. At Harman's comment, 'But it didn't work did it? Whoever attacked them just found another way in.' When she sees the sword, 'Looks expensive. Dwarf weapons are supposed to be the best aren't they?'

LarsWester
2022-05-04, 08:31 AM
Harman shrugs at Gabriele's comment May have bought some time for the defenders elsewhere. Do you think it's a runic weapon? I hear the dwarven masters could enchant weapons with special powers. Harman looks down at the sword before kneeling and grabbing it by the hilt and lifting it for closer inspection. Best to lay hands on it in case the others hold to some first touched equals ownership mindsets. he reasoned.

Haval
2022-05-04, 09:42 AM
Gabriele shrugs, 'They made Sigmar's hammer didn't they? I suppose the only way to be sure would be to hit something with it.'

rax
2022-05-04, 01:14 PM
"Well, don't just stand there playing with it, you might go blind," Severin chuckles as Harman examines the sword. "If you want it, tuck it in your belt for now."

"Funny thing, though. To me it looks like these bones were scattered after these lads were already dead. So maybe there's some beast or beasts that moved in later...or maybe whoever killed them had something with them that they let chew on the poor beggars after they'd been killed," he speculates.

LarsWester
2022-05-04, 05:13 PM
Harman lets out an embarrassed chuckle before putting the sword in his belt. Severin I agree these bodies were picked clean and bones scattered well after these warriors died. Should we check the passageway for any signs of what did those deeds?

Haval
2022-05-05, 07:59 AM
To Severin, 'As long as whatever it was that messed with the bodies isn't still here.'

dojango
2022-05-05, 11:57 AM
Pietro and Zdenko look askance at Harman as he collects the sword, but say nothing. They also root through the scattered bones as well for a few moments, until you decide to move out. There is a short hallway, also strewn with bones, and then you are in a large open room, some sort of dining hall and gathering place. At one end is a large open basin, with a very well crafted statue of several dwarven maidens pouring pitchers into the empty basin. Zdenko and Pietro spend a few moments admiring the details of the statue before Marina pokes Zdenko with a sharp finger and they get to searching the room. There are more bones here, but little in the way of anything useful.

It takes another few hours to explore this level; the tunnels and rooms here are a far cry from the crude workings below. The passageways are lined with statues of dwarves, and the walls and floors have been carefully smoothed out and in many places, covered with detailed engravings. You pass workshops, dormitories, more kitchens and storerooms and offices. You find bones, both dwarven and animal now, rats, cats, dogs and chickens. You also find garbage strewn about here and there, mostly clustered around what appear to be ventilation shafts. Here and there you can find natural sunlight filtering down from above. Marina takes a few moments to close her eyes and stare up at the light the first time you find one, ignoring the garbage heaped up at her feet.

You also find some cisterns with buckets and rope descending from above; these must be the wells from where the town above draws its water. You also find the fortifications overlooking the paths winding up the mesa; this is where you had briefly explored a few nights ago. You also find what must have been the main entrance, but it is now blocked by tons of rubble from the collapse of the roof above. There are also two places where the halls have been blocked by crude walls; next to one of them you find two broken skeletons, one of which has some mason's tools scattered around the body.

rax
2022-05-06, 04:30 PM
Severin is quiet as they explore the Dwarf halls. Even empty and desolate, they're a wonder to behold compared to the Human cities and towns he's familiar with. At one point he leans over to Gabriele and whispers: "Well, now we know what the halls look like. Shame we haven't got the time or equipment to map this place properly - we'd be making Le Houet a very happy woman. I wonder how much of this Vorgrimler got to see?"

"So, about these walls. It seems pretty clear that whether or not the guards and workers were taken or fled, they didn't pass through any bricked up passages. Do we try and knock one of the walls down just to see what's on the other side, or do we head back down and see if we can find a trace of the missing folk?" he asks the rest of the crew. "

Haval
2022-05-06, 07:36 PM
Gabriele will help search the rooms for anything interesting. If the stories were true this place wasn't even a particularly large settlement by Dwarf standards.

At the ventilation shafts, 'Careful where you step. I hate to think what people have been dumping down here.' At the blocked off sections, 'You think they lived like this with the walls ready to collapse the whole time?'

To Severin quietly, 'You open the place up and it'd make a hell of a fortress.' On the walls, 'If we can be sure we're not going to bring more of the ceiling down if we try breaking the walls.' She'll point to the skeletons with the mason tools, 'If things were bad enough to start collapsing the entrance maybe these ones were the rearguard. Maybe they didn't expect to make it.'

dojango
2022-05-09, 02:12 PM
Marina starts to get nervous when Severin mentions breaking down walls. "We was hired to solve problems, not open up new ones," she says. Meanwhile, Gabriele searches some of the rooms she passes and some of the bodies. She can't help but notice that this area has been picked over by scavengers; fixtures are pried out of walls, bodies are rummaged through, and anything remotely useful seems to have been carried off.

rax
2022-05-09, 04:43 PM
"I doubt it. I think they were probably facing an attack of some sort, so they blocked off passages they couldn't defend properly. Doesn't seem to have helped much in the end though," Severin answers Gabriele.

"That's a fair point," Severin answers Marina with a grin. "I guess that means we climb back down and then go down the stairs, eh?"

Haval
2022-05-10, 07:43 AM
'Someone stole everything that wasn't nailed down.' Gabriele is frankly disappointed to have to make the climb down in reverse.

LarsWester
2022-05-10, 03:21 PM
Harman finds a good size stone and carries it over to the shaft that he had climbed up and drops it counting out loud softly until he could maybe hear it hit something down below. One... Two...

[roll0]
Harman is trying to figure out how far down the shaft goes by the old dropping a stone and multiplying number of seconds by itself then by 5 to get a rough estimate of yards down. If it's something over 10 seconds then Harman probably can't do the math very easily.

rax
2022-05-10, 03:31 PM
OOC: Is this where we all go "Fool of a Took!" :smallbiggrin:

Haval
2022-05-10, 06:40 PM
Gabriele will listen in case the shaft was somehow a lot smaller then it seemed. To Harman, 'Just don't fall in right. Maybe it's best not to think about how far down it goes.'

Just in case
Perception vs. Int 38 (+20 Acute Hearing)
[roll0]

OOC: Is this where we all go "Fool of a Took!" :smallbiggrin:

'They have a Rat Ogre.' :smalltongue:

dojango
2022-05-10, 10:25 PM
Harman drops the rock and waits. He counts to eleven and then hears the clatter of the rock hitting bottom. A few moments later a few other rocks and bones go down the shaft as Pietro and Zdenko toss debris down as well, grinning as they watch it ricochet off the walls. "Stop, stop!" hisses Marina, waving her arms. "What are you doing? We have to go down there too!"

rax
2022-05-11, 01:40 PM
Severin shakes his head briefly at Pietro and Zdenko's foolishness, but keeps his mouth shut, expecting that they're more likely to accept a dressing-down from Marina than a Halfling.

"So now we know there's an end to the shaft as well," he says with a look at Harman. "Are we supposed to try and climb all the way down using ropes, or do we take the stairs we saw earlier...like sensible folk?"

Haval
2022-05-12, 11:08 AM
Gabriele will watch Pietro and Zdenko with a grimace. 'Try not to make so much noise. If there's anything else down here I don't want to encourage them.' To Severin, 'Climbing down all the way to the bottom seems like asking for trouble honestly. Unless the stairs are blocked.'

LarsWester
2022-05-13, 08:08 AM
Harman simply shrugs at Severin keeping his reasoning to himself for the time being. Stairs would be safer but we'll have to take the rope down to the level below either way. Speaking of rope do we wish to leave this run of rope here or should I untie the end here and climb down on my own means? I regret not buying more rope.

dojango
2022-05-13, 09:42 PM
It takes a few minutes for everyone to climb down to the next level, and then for Harman to untie the rope. Then you all head back down the stairway to the rest area. After a everyone pauses to catch their breath Marina cautiously moves to the edge of the lift shaft and peers down into the darkness. "I think you kin lower yourself down this way. Or we could check if the stairway is clear."

rax
2022-05-14, 07:37 AM
"My arms are getting tired from all this rope climbing. I say we check the staircase first," Severin replies.

Haval
2022-05-14, 09:16 AM
'Stairway first. Let's not tempt fate until we have to.'

dojango
2022-05-15, 06:18 PM
You head down the stairway from the resting room, descending another few twists of the staircase. After a few minutes, you find yourself in a large underground cavern. At your end of the cavern you see the wreckage of the lift, twisted and rusted. The chain that held it is piled up around the bottom, as is the broken counterweight. The builders of the mine have built out a stone platform at this end of the cavern, rising out of the water that covers most of the rest of the cavern. A causeway of sorts leads further across lake, into the darkness.

Haval
2022-05-16, 08:55 AM
If they were on the surface Gabriele would have felt the need to scout ahead. As it was she'll stick close to the torches and try and keep an eye out.

rax
2022-05-16, 01:20 PM
"Well, at least we can be sure that Inselberg won't be running out of water any time soon," Severin whispers at the sight of the underground lake. "Seems to me there's only way forward from here - I'll go first," he says and begins moving cautiously towards the causeway.

dojango
2022-05-17, 02:38 PM
After checking the platform and finding little of interest, the small group cautiously heads out across the causeway. It's well built, with a flagstone path about five feet wide atop it. Every so often there are ornately carved stone lanterns; here a kneeling dwarf, there a few strange animals. They are obviously unlit at the moment. The torchlight flickers and reflects off the water as you move. It's not surprising that Harman, from his experience taking a long watch on the riverboats, spots it first... the ripples in the water are going across the current. Something's moving down there... moving directly towards the causeway! Severin spots the strange ripples a moment later. Some sort of shadow in the water. He sees, out of the corner of his eye, Marina twitching as she reaches for her sword.

Then the water explodes in a wave outward and upward as six huge shapes burst outward, huge pale lizard-looking things, with long claws and a scaly, spiked head filled with jagged teeth. They charge up the side of the causeway, biting and snapping...

Roll for initiative! [roll0] Gabriele, Zdenko and Pietro are surprised.

LarsWester
2022-05-18, 01:09 PM
Seeing the ripples head towards him Harman tightened his grip on his sword and raised the torch in his left hand trying to cry out a warning but not being able to get it out before the lizard folk sprung from the water.
Harman slashed away at the one that landed closest to him on the causeway. Quick the enemy is upon us. he shouted as his sword cut through the air and sliced towards his targets arm.

Full Action = Swift Attacks
[roll0] left arm
[roll1]
[roll2] miss
[roll3]

rax
2022-05-18, 04:50 PM
"Sweet Shallya have mercy!" Severin cries out as the aquatic horrors come scrambling up the causeway, but he keeps his nerve and reacts quickly, ducking and weaving back down the causeway to load his sling.

Full action: Disengage 8 yards back down the causeway.

Pre-emptive Dodge [roll0] vs. 62
Pre-emtpive Parry [roll1] vs. 41, assuming it's okay to say that Severin had his shield equipped

Haval
2022-05-18, 05:46 PM
Gabriele is evidently paying too much attention to the darkness ahead of them to be looking to the water.

I'll wait until the lizards take their turn

dojango
2022-05-19, 11:32 AM
One of the beasts heaves itself on the causeway. Severin backs away from it, shield up between him and the beast. It hisses at Severin, long tongue flickering out at him. Severin now finds himself cut off from the rest of the group...

Harman strikes at the beast but it skitters out of the way before his blow lands. Meanwhile, it lunges towards him and bites at his leg with its needle-sharp teeth. Harman fends it off with his torch and the beast hisses at him. Gabriele hears the beast lunge out of the water at her and as she turns to face it, it bites at her side. She nimbly sidesteps it and it's mouth closes on air. Behind them, they hear Marina shriek as she is bitten by one of the other beasts, and Zdenko and Pietro curse as they draw their weapons.

They're basically swole underground komodo dragons, so they can't quite elevate enough to hit your heads... well, except for maybe Severin's.

Haval
2022-05-19, 08:25 PM
Gabriele is surprised but she's a bit more prepared then she was when she crossed the mountains. She'll wrench her leg back even as the creature's jaws snap shut. Only her training with Morillo allowed her to keep her feet. With the torch held in one hand she'll draw her sword with the other and try to force the lizard in front of her to keep it's distance. 'Stay close.'

Belated Dodge for the surpise round in the ooc so I'll roll another one here just in case

Half Action - Ready Sword
Half Action - Attack

vs. WS 42
[roll0]

Any damage
[roll1]

Dodge Blow vs. Ag 48
[roll2]

rax
2022-05-20, 04:54 PM
"Oh, you must be joking!" Severin curses in desperation as the giant lizard cuts him off from the rest of the group. "What're you coming at me for! The big juicy ones are over there!" he shouts, unhooking his mace and doing his best to fend off the monster.

Half action: Ready mace
Half action: Standard attack with mace [roll0] vs. WS 31
Damage [roll1]

Ulric's Fury if applicable
[roll2]
[roll3]

Pre-emptive Dodge [roll4] vs. Ag 62
Pre-emptive Parry if second attack [roll5] vs. 41 (WS 31, Defensive +10)

Wounds (remaining/total): 12/12
Fortune Points (remaining/total): 3/3

LarsWester
2022-05-20, 10:01 PM
Harman swinging down with his torch is barely able to deflect the things jaws from clamping down on his unarmored legs. He lets go a swift combination of downward slashes and stabs trying to carve the creature in two.

Full action = Swift Attacks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
13/13 wounds 3/4 fortune points

dojango
2022-05-22, 06:18 PM
Harman hacks down with his sword on the lizard's leg as is it tries to lunge in for another attack. His sword crunches through the lizard's scaly hide, and blood begins to flow. Severin and Gabriele jab and swing at the beasts attacking them, and the lizards snap and hiss back at them. Behind you, you can hear a loud booming shout from Zdenko.

rax
2022-05-23, 11:23 AM
Ducking and weaving to avoid becoming lizard lunch, Severin swings wildly and ineffectively at the scaly beast.

Full action: Swift attack with mace [roll0], [roll1] vs. WS 31
Damage [roll2], [roll3]

[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]

Pre-emptive Dodge [roll8] vs. Ag 62
Pre-emptive Parry if second attack [roll9] vs. 41 (WS 31, Defensive +10)

LarsWester
2022-05-23, 11:55 AM
This was bad Harman thought as the lizard still was pressing its attack. He had hoped to kill it quickly to come to the aid of his allies. He could hear their cries of pain and shock. Time to finish it Harman he told himself as he kept pressing his attack on the lizard trying to bite his legs.

Full action=Swift Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Below is either a Ulric's Fury confirm or if the lizard is still up a Fortune Point Spend to gain a 1/2 action to make a third attack.
[roll4]
[roll5]

Preemptive Parry with torch [roll6]
if successful does it break [roll7]

Haval
2022-05-23, 08:41 PM
Gabriele will chop downwards with her sword. She didn't even need to kill it really, she just needn't to hurt it enough to get it to leave. She'd have to worry about the others later.

Full Action - Swift Attack

vs. WS 42
[roll0]
see ooc - FP used to reroll to 27
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]
[roll3]

Dodge roll if needed
vs. Ag 48 (-10)
[roll4]

dojango
2022-05-24, 03:27 PM
With a satisfying crunch Harman smashes his sword into the beast's back, and it twitches for a few moments before going still. As he pauses to catch his bearings, to one side he sees Severin fending off one of the lizards, and to the other he sees Gabriele strike a quick blow at another lizard, only to have it lunge forward and bite down hard on her left arm. The light of the torches flickers madly as it reflects off the cavern walls and the water below and the ceiling above. There is a splash as another of the lizards rolls into the water, blood streaming from wounds on its back.

Gabriele takes 12 damage to the left arm, before wounds and toughness, and everyone can make another awareness check, Gabriele and Severin at a -20 penalty because they are still fighting.

Haval
2022-05-25, 05:50 PM
Gabriele will swear in pained surprise as the lizard bites down on her arm. She'd been bitten by a wolf before but this was so much worse. There was nothing else to do but to try and hit it with the sword in her other hand as she shook it off. If she gets it off her arm she'll foccus on trying to avoid getting hurt like that again.

Half Action - Standard Attack
Half Action - Parrying Stance to parry with sword

vs. WS 42
[roll0]

Any Damage
[roll1]

Any Dodge against the first successful attack
vs. Ag 48 (-10 armour)
[roll2]

Any Parry against the same
vs. WS 42
[roll3]

dojango
2022-05-26, 06:01 PM
Although distracted by the pain in her arm, Gabriele hears the faint scratch of claws on rock. Severin's hackles rise and he dares a quick glance upward. And as Harman scans the caves, he suddenly remembers to look up. Almost directly above them, climbing along the ceiling is a huge specimen of the lizards, far larger than than the others. It is crawling along the ceiling, claws grasping on the rough rock as it hunts for prey...

Haval
2022-05-27, 07:08 AM
'Big one above us.' Gabriele doesn't want to panic anyone in the middle of all this, but it was better then having that thing land on top of them.

LarsWester
2022-05-27, 10:13 AM
Harman let's out a cry Shallya have mercy! as his eyes take in the monstrously large lizard creeping along the ceiling of the cave. He moved quickly to free Gabriel of the lizard snapping at her. Harman could tell the woman had already been bite hard in the arm as red was spreading along her sleeve. He came up behind the lizard with a flurry of stabs and slashes hoping to catch it off guard as it's attention was on Gabriel. However the fear coursing through Harman as he took in the creature above was sensed by the lizard before him and it successfully evade all of Harman's attempts.

You are too close to Gabriele's lizard to charge, but you can get into melee with it if you want.
My interpretation is that Harman can Full Action-Swift Attack this lizard. But if he needs to move than his actions would be.
1/2 Action Standard Move
1/2 Action Standard Attack *1st attack below*
If the lizard is not killed after this attack then he will spend a fortune point to get an additional 1/2 Action to use to attack again. *2nd Attack below*
[roll0] fail
[roll1]

[roll2] fail
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

rax
2022-05-27, 03:05 PM
"Above us! We need to fall back!" Severin calls out to the mercenaries, but with the first lizard still doing its best to rip him to shreds, he keeps swinging, hoping to scare it off.

Damage [roll2], [roll3]

[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]

dojango
2022-05-28, 12:01 PM
Severin manages to strike the lizard with his mace. The creature's thick scales crack under his blow, but his attack leaves him open to the creature's swiping claw and it manages to hit him in the head. Harman takes a couple of swings at the lizard attacking Gabriele, but its thrashing tail and sinuous movement makes him unable to land a good hit. Fortunately, the lizard is perhaps, too distracted by Harman to be able to hit Gabriele again.

Behind Gabriele, you can see Zdenko turn to try and help Marina, while Pietro is trying to fend off the attacks of one of the lizards. Then, with a silent jump, you see the big lizard above let go from its grasp... it twists its body as it leaps, and opens its limbs wide, giant folds of skin stretching out. It glides down from the ceiling and with a sudden thump, it lands just behind Pietro, and advances towards him.

rax
2022-05-28, 01:36 PM
Severin ducks the worst of the lizard's attack, but still stumbles backward from the blow. Looking up as he steadies himself, he observes the giant lizard landing behind Pietro.

"They FLY?!! The bloody things FLY!! Behind you Pietro! It's behind you!" Severin shouts out loud. Knowing he can't abandon his comrades, he return to the fray with a frustrated growl, snapping his mace forward in a series of swift attacks.

Damage [roll2], [roll3]

[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]

Wounds (remaining/total): 10/12

LarsWester
2022-05-29, 07:25 AM
Dismayed by his failure to draw blood from this second lizard and the arrival of the giant one Harman presses the attack to free up Gabriel.

wounds 12/12 FP 2/4
Full action = swift attacks
1d100
[roll1]
1d100
[roll3]
[roll4] if attacked but don't know thay anything is attacking.
[roll5]

[

Haval
2022-05-29, 08:55 AM
Gabriele will do her best to finish off the lizard in front of her while it was distracted. Either they needed to focus on the big one or else get the hell out of here.

Away from book, isn't it +10 for outnumbering?

Full Action - Swift Attack

Vs. WS 42 (+10 outnumber?)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Any damage
[roll2]
[roll3]

Any Dodge
Vs. 48 (-10 armour)
[roll4]

dojango
2022-05-30, 09:57 PM
With a strong blow, Gabriele strikes down at the beast menacing her. With a loud crunch, her blade cuts into the creature's foreleg, slicing through it. The beast collapses a moment later. Severin tries to strike a blow against the beast he's facing, but is unable to hit it. He does manage to avoid its swiping claws a moment later, though.

You can see Zdenko take some wild swings at another of the beasts, managing to strike it. It tries to crawl off the causeway, only to tumble down the rocky causeway into the water. At the end of the line, Pietro tries to turn to fend off both of the lizards attacking him, and is unable to protect himself. He screams as the smaller one bites into his leg and the larger one clamps onto his arm, and with a sudden twist of its head, tears it free. Pietro falls to the ground, blood spreading from a mortal wound.

There are two of the smaller beasts left on the causeway, and the larger beast.

Haval
2022-05-31, 09:15 PM
There was no time to feel satisfied by that blow. Gabriele will do her best to to ignore the sight of Pietro dying in front of her and will instead go after the lizard that was trying to kill Severin.

Full Action - Charge
vs. WS 42 (+10 Charge) (+10 outnumber)
[roll0]
Rerolled to a 5 in the ooc

Any damage
[roll1]

Any Ulric's fury
[roll2]
[roll3]

Dodge as needed
vs. Ag 48 (-10 armour)
[roll4]

rax
2022-06-01, 04:24 PM
"Harman! Go help the others, we've got this!"

With Gabriele once more backing him up, Severin keeps pressing the attack, but his aim is off and he hits nothing but air.

Full action: Swift attack with mace [roll0], [roll1] vs. 41 (WS 31, Outnumbering +10)
Damage [roll2], [roll3]

[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]

Fortune Points (remaining/total): 2/3

LarsWester
2022-06-02, 03:42 PM
Wounds 13/13 FP 3/4
Horrified in the giant lizard that just tore Pietro apart like he was a toy in the hands of over rough child, Harman stands stunned for a few seconds before Severin's call brings him back into the action. At the halfling's words the Tall man springs into action running down the narrow causeway to join Zdenko and Marina against the two beasts at their end. If they could eliminate the smaller one first than the three could team up against the larger one.
Harman calls out to the others Marina and Zdenko finish off the smaller one. I'll try to keep the monstrous one focused on me. Harman whispered Verena watch over me. and started his attack on the giant lizard sword slashing wildly and torch waving.

[roll0] vs42 swing and a miss
[roll1]
[roll2] Successful parry
[roll3] still lit.

dojango
2022-06-03, 09:39 AM
Harman runs up towards the big lizard, pushing past Zdenko and Marina, and takes a wild swing at it, but misses. The big lizard hisses at him and flares out its jaw before it bites into Pietro's body, starting to drag it away. Severin takes a few swings at the smaller lizard facing him, but can't quite close in safely. Gabriele lands a weak blow on the beast's side, but the animal's scales absorb the impact. The beast, angered and confused by the onslaught hisses and slides off the causeway back into the water. At the edge of the causeway, near where the body of the killed lizard is, several extremely small lizards clamber out of the water and begin worrying at the body, trying to tear chunks out of it. The last lizard on the causeway also slides off into the water and disappears beneath the water. Marina and Zdenko stare wildly around. "Pietro! Pietro!" shouts Marina, while Zdenko mutters something like, "Morr's balls, what was that?"

Haval
2022-06-04, 10:40 AM
'Keep the torches steady.' Gabriele will attempt to stop the big lizard dragging Pietro's body away. As long as there was some light perhaps she could convince it to let go.

Free Action - to drop sword and torch
Half Action - Ready Bow
Half Action - Shoot the big lizard

Vs. Bs 57
[roll0]

Any damage (I think it has AP?)
[roll1]

rax
2022-06-04, 05:51 PM
"At last!" Severin mutters in relief as the smaller lizards abandon the fight. "Let's get that filthy beast for what it did to Pietro!" he shouts.

Hooking his mace back on his belt, he quickly unloops his sling, drops a stone in the pouch and snaps off a quick shot at the giant lizard.

Half action: Ready sling and "sheathe" mace.
Free action: Load sling.
Half action: Standard attack [roll0] vs. BS 63 (-20 penalty if Harman is still in melee with the big lizard)
Damage [roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Pre-emptive Dodge [roll4] vs. Ag 62

Fortune Points (remaining/total): 1/3

Edit: Spent an FP in the OOC thread. Roll to hit is now 25, and thus a hit even if Harman is in melee.

LarsWester
2022-06-04, 09:18 PM
W 13/13 FP 2/4 After this post
Harman's hair is blown back against his face as the giant lizard hisses at him and clamps its tremendous jaws around Pietro's shoulders and starts dragging the corpse away from the fight. Harman is stunned for a second until he sees an arrow fly over his shoulder and bury itself deep in the lizard's hide. He also saw a stone from Severin find its mark against the beast.

"Let's get that filthy beast for what it did to Pietro!" he shouts.

That settles it then. The revenge for Pietro will be swift and white hot. Harman thought as he surged forward with a yell. Marina. Zdenko on me that thing dies now!
Harman charges towards the giant lizard slicing away with his sword. Still brandishing the torch lighting up the giant beast as a target for his companions ranged fire.

Not sure the situation but first spoiler is if it is as I read it. That the lizard moved away from Harman on its turn.

Possible Parting attack on the lizards turn.
[roll0] miss
[roll1]
Full action Charge if possible
[roll2] +10% for charge. hit
[roll3]
FP for either a reroll or extra 1/2 action standard attack if the charge attack hit.
[roll4] vs 52 if the charge attack missed as it is a reroll. miss
[roll5]

If Harman was still within melee then the rolls would be the same except against 42 for all three rolls.

Either way [roll6] Success and [roll7] Torch out on a hit!

dojango
2022-06-05, 10:32 PM
Gabriele drops her torch and shoots an arrow into the scaly hide of the beast. Next to her, Severin flings a stone at the beast, hitting it with an audible thunk. The beast tries to back away from Harman, who in his fury, charges at it and hacks away with his sword on the beast's scaly snout as it tries to drag away Pietro's body. He sees blood fly, and the beast flinches in pain. It raises its claws at him, and with a sudden movement, heaves itself back in the water with a loud splash, taking Pietro's body with it. Harman can see its dark shape underwater swimming into the depths. Behind Harman, Marina starts crying, while Zdenko lets out a loud yell as he kicks at one of the smaller lizards swarming over the body of its larger brethren.

LarsWester
2022-06-06, 12:22 PM
Harman let's go a scream of impotent frustration after the giant lizard. Arghh! You cowardly freak get back here. Fine run, but know the scales of Verena pursue you.
He then turns to look at Zdenko and Marina. When he sees Marina in tears he hangs his head as he walks back to rejoin the group. His torch still spreading light throughout the chamber. Unsure what words could bring comfort at this time he just puts a hand on Marina's shoulder as she cries.

rax
2022-06-06, 04:15 PM
"Yeah, you'd better run! If we see you again, we're going to turn you into boots for a whole company!" Severin yells after the giant lizard.

He then fumes silently for a moment before speaking again. "How is everyone doing? Marina, Gabriele? It looked like you both got bit hard by these monsters."

Haval
2022-06-06, 10:42 PM
'****.' Gabriele swears in frustration. 'A little to the right and I could have taken the bloody things eye out.' Not that it would have mattered, but she would have felt better about it.

'Marina...' Gabriele was at loss over what to say that would make anything better. If Marina assented she'll give the other woman a hug. To Severin, 'I've had worse.'

dojango
2022-06-07, 11:48 PM
After a few moments, Marina shakes off Harman's hand and pushes away from Severin. "I'm fine," she says. "What are we doing? Are we done? Should we go back and tell them there's monsters down here? What in the hells are they doing?" To that, she spots the smaller lizards tearing into the body of the slain lizard.

LarsWester
2022-06-08, 08:23 AM
Harman looks over at the myriad of little lizards feasting on the larger lizard. To me it looks like a food shortage. Those little guys are going to grow up to became big and nasty though. Harman will fire his pistol at the crowd of little guys hoping the gunshot and impact will frighten the little lizards back into the water.

rax
2022-06-08, 02:50 PM
"Hey now!" Severin yells at Harman when he fires his pistol. "These monsters may not be the only nasty surprises lurking down here!"

Once the echo of the discharge fades, Severin answers Marina. "If everyone else is alright with it, I'd like to press on to find out what's at the end of this causeway. We came here looking for missing people, and so far we haven't found any evidence of them at all."

Haval
2022-06-08, 06:07 PM
On the missing, 'Maybe they're down there.' Gabriele points to the water. It was easy to imagine that there was a pile of bones around here somewhere.

Gabriele will bend down to retieve her torch. She'll keep her sword out. 'If we stay we try not to stay out in the open. I don't want to be suprised again. Then after maybe we can talk Tollares into coming back here with enough men to kill that thing.'

dojango
2022-06-09, 01:17 PM
The smaller lizards do scatter when Harman fires the shot and disappear beneath the water again. Everyone picks up their torches and relights them, if needed. Once again the group slowly moves down the causeway towards the center of the cavern. In a few moments there is an island rising out of the underground lake. In the torchlight you can see two large statues standing at the edges of the causeway, with unlit braziers at their feet. A short ramp goes up to the island. At the top you can see a huge pile of mud and rotting leaves and branches, and you can see another of the massive lizards staring down at you from atop the pile...

Haval
2022-06-09, 08:53 PM
'What do you reckon?' Gabriele says to the others while keeping one eye on the lizard ahead of them. 'Even if we can take it between us the problem is if any more of the big ones decide to show up.'

rax
2022-06-10, 06:40 AM
"Could be a mated pair, in which case I'd guess there's only room for the two of them in here," Severin mutters while loading his sling. "If they're mates, then the other one was probably on a hunting expedition to feed this one. If we attack, the other one will probably turn up soon enough..."

"I don't like leaving these beasts alive, and I don't like not knowing if our missing slaves and guards ended up as lizard lunch, but we're not really here to clear this place of wildlife. There's still the southern passage in the entrance cavern to explore. I say we go back and check that out for now. If we draw another blank we can vote on whether to come back this way then."

LarsWester
2022-06-10, 09:17 AM
I agree that most likely the larger two are a mated pair. Pointing to the mound of mud, leaves and branches. That has all the signs of a nest. I think the first lot we fought may have been the remnants of a first hatch. Those smaller lizards probably belong to a more recent hatch. They will have to be dealt with to restore the mine to operational status but not necessarily now and not necessarily by us. Maybe for more coin but we now know what might be behind the disappearance of the guards and miners. Harman talks in a low volume to not prompt the nested lizard to move while also keeping an eye out for Pietro's killer. I think you have the right of it Severin let's go check that other pathway and make a report.

dojango
2022-06-10, 07:27 PM
As you retreat from the nest, you can see movement in the water. Keeping eyes peeled, you can tell that some of the lizards are watching you. But soon you reach the beginning of the causeway and make your way back up the stairs towards where you had come from. By retracing your steps (and the marks on the wall) you find yourself in the cavern with the mushrooms and the dragon's teeth. Following the passage to the south, it twists and turns and the ceiling gets lower and lower until Zdenko is practically crawling, and the others are not much better off. Zdenko grumbles and says, "I will go no further. Keep going if you must, but I won't get stuck down here."

Haval
2022-06-13, 06:56 AM
Gabriele will keep her torch steady in case one of the smaller lizards decided to try anything. As it starts to get cramped she'll nod in agreement with Zdenko. 'He's got a point you know. Even if there's nothing dangerous down there there's no guarantee there's even room to turn round. I wouldn't want to have to crawl out of here backwards.'

LarsWester
2022-06-13, 10:39 AM
Severin if you wanted to continue alone you could go further but I wouldn't judge you for pulling back with the rest of us tall folk.
Harman calls out from his hands and knees as he also has been crawling the last bit of the cramped tunnel.

rax
2022-06-13, 11:02 AM
"I suppose it doesn't make much sense to think that any guards pressed through this way, but if I were an escaped Halfling slave, finding myself a hidey-hole where longshanks fear to tread would be top of my to do list. I'll keep going a bit further. If the tunnel opens up further along, I'll call back to you," Severin replies. Taking a brief moment to check that all his gear is properly stowed so as not to catch on any projections, he continues on slowly through the passage.

OOC: I'll keep going as long as Severin can still stand, unless that's going to put him waay ahead and out of voice contact with everyone else. Note that Severin stands a mighty 4'2", so he's like the tallest Halfling of his generation. :smallbiggrin:

dojango
2022-06-13, 05:45 PM
Severin finds that he, too, will have to crawl to get much further forward. There isn't much danger of him getting stuck just yet, but he will need to crawl over through gaps in the rock.

rax
2022-06-15, 05:07 PM
Well now you've done it. Now I have to find out where this tunnel leads after all. :smalltongue:

Did Severin have to start crawling at the same place as everyone else or has he moved forward and out of sight already?

Does this tunnel appear natural or could it have been made by the dwarfs or someone/sonething else? And is it a tight fit because it's partly collapsed or just naturally low/narrow?

Severin grunts in dissatisfaction as the passage narrows. Worried about getting stuck, he removes his backpack and his shield before pressing on...

dojango
2022-06-16, 08:43 AM
Severin could go a little further without crawling, but soon he found himself on his hands and knees, trying to keep the torch ahead of him and lit. After dropping his pack so it wouldn't catch on the rock above, he pushed forward for about fifty feet. The rock floor felt polished smooth beneath his hands and feet, as compared to the rough ceiling. The walls were not as smooth, more smooth at the bottom. The passage went slightly up, and at one point he put his hands in wet sand. As he looks down, right in front of his hands is a handprint. A little smaller than his. He then has to climb over a rock ledge that has worn grooves in its face. He can stand up there, and as he climbs over the ledge he sees natural light at the end of the passageway.

rax
2022-06-18, 04:58 PM
Maybe an old watercourse? Severin thinks to himself as he worms his way along the passageway. And a way out... he speculates when he sees the natural light ahead.

Holding the torch in his left hand, Severin draws his mace with the other and slowly makes his way toward the light, keeping an eye out for any further signs that anyone has passed this way.

[roll0] vs. Int 44

Haval
2022-06-18, 07:44 PM
'I really don't want to have to follow him down there.' Gabriele mutters. Maybe we should have brought more Halflings.

dojango
2022-06-19, 08:14 AM
The exit to the passageway is covered with brush and spiny plants, although some of it seems broken aside. Severin emerges into the afternoon light and finds himself at the bottom of a sinkhole maybe 20 feet deep. The sides are steep and covered with brush and small trees, and the bottom of the hole is covered by loose sand. It looks like something or someone has torn up some of the spiny plants to eat. As Severin turns to look back at the entrance, which is almost concealed under the brush, he notices a pile of pale, almost translucent scaly stuff.

LarsWester
2022-06-20, 10:46 AM
'I really don't want to have to follow him down there.' Gabriele mutters. Maybe we should have brought more Halflings.
Harman shifts his feet waiting for Severin's return. Gabriele I don't think we could follow him down there even if we wanted to.

rax
2022-06-20, 03:39 PM
Severin stiffens at the sight of the scaly stuff. More lizards? he worries. Carefully stowing his mace, he jabs the torch into the sand, pulls out his sling and loads it.

He then slowly makes his way towards the scaly stuff to inspect it, all the while keeping his eyes peeled for any sudden motion.

OOC: The tunnel Severin came through wasn't big enough for a lizard like the ones that attacked us to crawl through, was it?

Haval
2022-06-20, 08:27 PM
Harman shifts his feet waiting for Severin's return. Gabriele I don't think we could follow him down there even if we wanted to.

Gabriele will look at Harman and assess his size, 'Maybe. I don't want to get stuck down there, but it doesn't sit right waiting. I'd like to think Severin would have the sense to know when to come back.'

LarsWester
2022-06-20, 10:06 PM
Harman shrugs his shoulders. You've neen with him longer than I have. He seems to be a perfectly reasonable fellow. Honorable too. He'll do the smart thing if his honor will let him. At least that's my read of the little guy. You might have further insight. Shall we say a prayer to Verena for him? Harman asks Gabriele as she seemed worried for her companion.

dojango
2022-06-21, 08:38 AM
Severin cautiously looks around the passageway. The biggest of the lizards would not fit through it, but the ones that attacked first could probably wiggle through. Certainly the littlest ones would have no problem. The scaly stuff is just that, shed skin. Severin doesn't detect any movement around other than the wind blowing through the bushes at the edge of the sinkhole.

Haval
2022-06-21, 09:08 PM
Harman shrugs his shoulders. You've neen with him longer than I have. He seems to be a perfectly reasonable fellow. Honorable too. He'll do the smart thing if his honor will let him. At least that's my read of the little guy. You might have further insight. Shall we say a prayer to Verena for him? Harman asks Gabriele as she seemed worried for her companion.

Gabriele looks sceptical, 'If you think it'll help. I feel like Taal himself wouldn't bother coming down here.'

LarsWester
2022-06-22, 10:30 AM
Harman bends one knee and lifts his head up beginning to matter a common prayer to Verena. Mother Verena we beseech thee. Let our eyes see the truth. Let our ears hear the truth. Let our feet carry us to the truth. Let our minds reason out the truth still unrevealed. With the truth known let us pursue justice with all our strength, mind, and spirit. Mother Verena we beseech thee thus. Harman raises back to his feet gives a faint smile to Gabriele. Can't hurt right?

Haval
2022-06-23, 02:03 PM
Gabriele will mumble along with Harman's unfamilar prayer.'It couldn't hurt. Don't think I've ever met a Verenan before. Does she ever answer back?'

LarsWester
2022-06-23, 04:05 PM
Harman smiles at Gabriele. Oh she answers. Sometimes not as fast as you'd like or with the answer you'd prefer. We often have our own ideas of Justice and own views of what it is True. You know I've been seeking to bring justice to a specific person so still waiting for that answer from Verena regarding that matter. We'll see how the mother goddess answers in this case.

rax
2022-06-25, 11:09 AM
Satisfied that he isn't going to be ambushed by a giant lizard right now, Severin turns to inspecting the sandy floor of the sinkhole, edging his way towards the nearest spiny plant that's been bashed open. While he's no tracker, he carefully studies the sandy floor to see if he can discern any halfling-sized footprints...or lizard-like ones.

dojango
2022-06-26, 09:15 PM
As Harman prays towards Verena, Marina listens piously. She says, "It is good, she is a light guiding us out of darkness. May she lead Pietro through Morr's realms." Meanwhile Zdenko amuses himself by drawing with chalk on the rock walls. Severin spends some time examining the area around the sinkhole, but his tracking skills are not sufficient to determine what type of foot has walked or crawled through this area, only that something has passed through.

Haval
2022-06-27, 07:05 AM
To Harman, 'So the Gods help those who help themselves? Maybe we should try and look for this man of yours to see if Verena's paying attention.'

rax
2022-06-30, 08:53 AM
Frustrated in his attempts to figure out who or what came this way, Severin picks up his torch and makes his way back into the tunnel. Once he reaches the rock ledge, he calls out gently down the tunnel to the others. "There's a way out here, but I can't tell if anyone's made use of it. Found some shed lizard skin just outside, though, so maybe this is the way those nasty critters got inside."

"Gabriele! I could use your help checking for tracks. It's a tight fit, but if you leave your pack, cloak and any long weapons behind, I think you can make it," he adds.

Haval
2022-06-30, 08:17 PM
'Remind me to teach you how to do that.' Gabriele will discard her larger gear. 'I'll go take a look if you're sure I can turn around. But you realise it's not always easy to find tracks even if they're down there?'

rax
2022-07-01, 02:13 PM
"No need," Severin mutters. "When this is over, I'm going to make my living doing something less dangerous, like...I don't know...professional gambling?"

Haval
2022-07-01, 06:59 PM
'Don't win too much and don't cheat openly. Sounds about right.' Gabriele will make sure she has a knife with her but will leave her larger gear behind. 'Harman. Can you look after my stuff? I am not going to be down there long.'

Assuming the others don't object Gabriele is going to gingerly try to see if she can even get through the narrow gap.

dojango
2022-07-03, 04:59 PM
The tunnel is claustrophobic as she wriggles her way through. She has to contort a little bit to get over a ledge and climb up, but once she does that the tunnel opens up again, enough for her to have space around her. Soon she finds herself in the light of the outside again; she is at the bottom of a large sinkhole. The sides and bottom of the hole are covered in brush and there are a few small trees here and there.

OOC: Follow Trail roll for Gabriele to see what she can find out

Haval
2022-07-04, 06:39 AM
Gabriele will do what she can to search for tracks.

Follow Trail vs. Int 38
[roll0]
Last Fp if needed
[roll1]

rax
2022-07-05, 02:57 AM
When Gabriele drops down into the open tunnel, Severin indicates for her to keep quiet and then points out the handprint he discovered earlier. Motioning for her to follow him outside, he then quietly fills her in on his thinking while she studies the sinkhole for traps.

"Don't tell the others, but that handprint and the fact that you longshanks have to drop everything to make it through the passage makes me think that maybe some of the disappeared Halflings made it out of the mine this way, but I can't tell if they made it out of the sinkhole as well. Someone or something has been at these spiny plants as well - probably looking for something to eat. But then I found the lizard skin, and I got to thinking that maybe they eat plants too, you know?"

"Anyway, once you're done looking around, I want to have a go at climbing up the sides to see where we end up, but I may need help getting up and down again. Us Halflings are built low to the ground for a reason," he quips.

Haval
2022-07-05, 08:50 PM
Gabriele will do what she can to stretch when she's outside again. 'I'm all for escaping. It's better then staying down there with the lizards. But where are they going to go afterwards? Would they try to make it down the mesa in the dark? Or would they try to find a place to hide out in town?'

dojango
2022-07-06, 10:33 AM
Gabriele heads out into the sinkhole and starts looking around. Once Severin points out the tracks he's seen, she is able to get a better picture of what passed through here. The lizards apparently come through here often enough that their tracks are all over the place. Looking up the sides of the hole Gabriele can also see signs that a small figure passed through here, its hands and feet smaller than Severin's for comparison. The figure seems to have climbed out of the sinkhole as there are broken branches and torn leaves that weren't made naturally. It should be fairly easy for someone to climb out as long as they don't mind pushing through the occasionally spiny vegetation. Gabriele estimates that this probably happened a week or so ago based on the condition of the tracks and the broken brush. Some of the lizard tracks are fresher than that, perhaps made within the past few days.

LarsWester
2022-07-06, 10:48 AM
Harman leaned against the cool stone wall of the mine system stretching his back. It had been a while since he was in heated mortal combat like that against the lizards. His stomach churned as his mind played over the lizard tearing into Pietro. He looked over at Zdenko and Marina with sympathy. He had lost companions before while serving in the River Wardens it was always hard dealing with the loss and the knowledge that it just as easily could have been you. He struggled to think of any words that could bring comfort to the situation and decided there were none so he simply resolved to get them talking about something else. Have you two been in the service of Arcadius for a long time now? From what little dealings I've had they seem fair but could be harsh with discipline.

Haval
2022-07-06, 04:14 PM
Gabriele will point out the tracks to Severin.'Just got to pay attention. Other then the lizards I'd say whoever it was was definitely smaller then you. Maybe it's our girl.'

rax
2022-07-06, 05:27 PM
"Just the one? I was hoping for clear signs that more of the slaves had found this way out. It's the only path I've seen down here where I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be followed," Severin replies glumly. "And I don't like the sound of the lizards passing this way regular-like. Makes this a dangerous path to try in any case."

Looking up at the top of the sinkhole, he makes up his mind. "Alright, I'm going to see where climbing gets me. Want to come or do you want to wait until I've gotten a look around?" he asks, heading over to where the small figure seems to have climbed out.

Haval
2022-07-06, 09:14 PM
'Only one that I can see anyway. Maybe a week or so back. The lizards might just be up here to find whatever prey they can catch. I'd like to think we'll be able to see them coming if we run into any up here.'

Gabriele considers the climb. 'If you think you can make it up there I'll give you a boost. If I need to I'll follow you up but I don't want to leave the others alone down there for too long either.'

rax
2022-07-07, 03:58 PM
"I don't intend to stay long - just enough to get the lay of the land so we can take a closer look once we've reported back. I'm thinking the best thing to do is to not let anyone but Harman know that it look like at least one Halfling escaped this way. Which means that we're looking at reporting back that there's man-eating lizards down here, and that they may be the reason slaves and guards have disappeared. Of course, the only way we'll know for sure is if we can shift them from their nesting places - if they've eaten anyone but Pietro, there should be items left behind to prove it," Severin explains, then turns to begin climbing out of the sinkhole.

OOC: Does Severin need to make a Climb check?

dojango
2022-07-07, 06:52 PM
Severin spends a few moments clambering up the steep sides of the sinkhole. Debris and stones fall down behind him as he hauls himself up using roots and branches as handholds. After a few moments he cautiously emerges, finding himself in the open landscape of the plains around the mesa. The sinkhole is in a small depression in the ground, and to the south he can see the Inselberg rising out of the plains. From where he is, however, it seems unlikely that they could see him back, if they were watching. The mine is also likewise out of sight, hidden behind one of the shoulders of the mesa.

rax
2022-07-11, 10:02 AM
Severin nods with satisfaction, then turns around and kneels to call down to Gabriele below. "Well, if I was trying to get away from Sol's place unnoticed, this is pretty much the best spot to come up unseen from either the Inselberg or the mine. If Myrtle came through here, the odds are on her side for making a clean getaway."

"You want to come up here and have a quick look around for tracks? If we wait till later, the wind and the weather may wipe them clean, assuming there's any left to begin with," he ventures his opinion.

Haval
2022-07-11, 07:18 PM
'So maybe she's hiding out somewhere. Can't see her walking back to Stralwald though.' Gabriele will try to follow Severin up.

Scale Sheer Surface vs. Str 35 / 2
[roll0]

If she makes the Climb, Follow Trail vs. Int 38
[roll1]

dojango
2022-07-11, 07:40 PM
The climb up is not difficult, but there is some scrambling as she pulls herself up using roots and branches as handholds. Some of this ends up scraping over the tracks leading up, and when she reaches the top she looks around for a little bit before realizing that the tracks in the open have faded away by the restless wind of the plains. She searches for tracks in areas that might be protected or sheltered, but is not able to find any. The sun is getting low in the sky by the time she stops searching for signs in the area.

Haval
2022-07-11, 08:26 PM
'Nothing. Which might not mean very much depending on how far back it was. Maybe I can take a look around in daylight and see if there's any sign that someone's been living rough out here.'

rax
2022-07-12, 05:12 PM
"Ah well, I already figured we'd have to be proper lucky to find a good set o' tracks up here. If you think it'll help to come back later, I'm all for it. For now, let's get back to the others and fill them in on the fact that the lizards seem to be coming and going this way. Then we'll have to decide whether to report back or take a stab at clearing those scaly bastards by ourselves," Severin answers Gabriele, then begins to make his way back down into the sinkhole.

OOC: Unless Gabriele has other ideas, Severin's ready to crawl back to the others. He'll make sure to mess up the Halfling tracks in the sinkhole and most especially the handprint in the tunnel as he goes.

Haval
2022-07-12, 07:45 PM
'If no one stops me looking I can see if Myrtle left a fire anywhere. If everyone thinks she's dead maybe no one's bothered enough to look for her.' Gabriele will relunctantly follow Severin back down, 'I don't want to leave the others too long. How long would anyone wait for us in a place like that.'

dojango
2022-07-13, 08:50 AM
Marina and Zdenko look at each other and she rolls her eyes. "He was a, you know, condotierri, and still wants to be. If we wanted to play at soldiers, we'd do it, right?" Zdenko grunts at that and she continues, "We've been with him for a few years now. Haven't had too many problems with him, so we keep staying, yeah? Better than striking out on our own. It's better to run with a crew than on your own out here. I gotta say, we just started running through here a few months ago and I don't really like this place. Even Nirena is better than this."

Meanwhile, Severin and Gabriele return to the the rest of the group, with Severin dragging his knees through the tracks he'd previously spotted, effectively erasing them. They squirm through the narrowest part and emerge into the torchlight. Zdenko reaches down to help you stand up and grumbles, "You were gone a while, find anything good?"

LarsWester
2022-07-13, 05:34 PM
Harman decided to push his luck with the two mercenaries. In your travels in the Borders have you heard any whispers about a man calling himself The Drunken Weasel. Real name would be Gerhart Lustig. Harman proceeds to give a physical description of the criminal that led him to the Border Princes. With Verena's help Justice will find the man no matter where he runs.

[roll0]

rax
2022-07-13, 06:50 PM
Severin dusts himself off before answering Zdenko.

"Yes and no, is the best I can answer. The tunnel leads into a sinkhole and like I said before, there were clear traces of big lizards coming and going. Gabriele can confirm that - right Gabriele?"

"We didn't find anything certain to indicate that our missing guards or workers came through here, though. I'm guessing that no guards would have put themselves through the ordeal of crawling through there, and if some Halflings got out this way, then any tracks they left are gone now. So, our best guess is that any traces of missing persons are going to be found in the lizard nest we found earlier - that's the only place we haven't been able to search properly."

"So, what next? Do we give the lizards another go, or report back and let Sol's lot decide how they want to handle this?"

Haval
2022-07-13, 09:00 PM
Gabriele will retrieve her gear. 'That's right. I take it no one has heard any stories about those things coming into town? If we're lucky maybe they only come up to hunt birds and the like.' To Severin, 'I'd say it depends on if we can find somewhere to fight those things where there's no chance of us being surprised again. And even then only if we're all agreed. Otherwise I'd assume Tollares has a few more lads on the surface who aren't doing much.'

rax
2022-07-15, 06:24 PM
"I have a hard time believing we can get most of the lizards to oblige us by fighting where we have an advantage. One or two of the smaller ones, maybe, but the big 'uns probably won't budge from the nesting area unless they feel like a bite to eat," Severin ventures his opinion.

dojango
2022-07-15, 07:11 PM
Zdenko shrugs and says that he might have seen someone like that hanging around in Nirena a few months ago, which could be plausible. But the man didn't sign up with any caravans that he knows about, and had disappeared the next time Zdenko had gone through. Harman had also passed through Nirena on his way to Bremcote, it was a strange place. A small trading post built up in the ruins of a larger city. Zdenko also mentions that some of the tribesmen accused Arcadius of goat-rustling. Apparently goats and other livestock have been disappearing in the night lately.

As far as getting revenge on the larger lizards, Zdenko is all for it. "We know they'll try to ambush us so we can be prepared. If we let Sol's boys do the killing, they'll get first crack at whatever is hidden down there." Marina, on the other hand, is against it. "Can't loot anything if we're dead. And besides, what is there gonna be in a lizard's nest? Bunch of lizard crap and bones?" She thinks the job is done and wants to go back and get paid.

LarsWester
2022-07-15, 08:58 PM
Harman adds his two pieces of clank to the conversation. I guess the main question is if Sol thinks we completed the mission and pays us or if he thinks we left the job undone and orders us punished for not completing the job. I hardly know the guy but what's everyone else's read of the man?