PDA

View Full Version : Morphing Weapon Quality Question

samduke
2022-01-03, 02:58 AM
If I have a Morphing Longsword, could it Morph into say a Composite Longbow - or reverse of that Composite Longbow could it Morph into say a Longsword - Or would the "Sword" need to be two handed where the bow is two handed ?

Then because the Morphing quality being a price of +1 bonus , if one wanted other properties for the morphed item would those be in addition to the morph cost or replace the morph cost for example using the bow above with Distance which is a price of +1 bonus also. IE Morphing +1, Distance +1 total cost to weapon +18K OR Morphing/Distance +1 total cost to weapon +8K - I suspect its the 18K.

Jervis
2022-01-03, 03:45 AM
Morphing a weapon doesn't change it's enchantments, it goes from a morphing weapon to another morphing weapon. As for the one handed vs two handed, i recommend just putting sizing on in addition. A large one handed weapon is the same as a medium two handed weapon and vice versa. So the two together let you basically turn anything into anything else. If you want it cheaper than a +1, Bloodglass material and Shifting enchantment (Both secretes of Zendrik) let you add the equivalent of morphing for a fixed +5500 cost (IIRC)

samduke
2022-01-03, 09:19 AM
Morphing a weapon doesn't change it's enchantments, it goes from a morphing weapon to another morphing weapon. As for the one handed vs two handed, i recommend just putting sizing on in addition. A large one handed weapon is the same as a medium two handed weapon and vice versa. So the two together let you basically turn anything into anything else. If you want it cheaper than a +1, Bloodglass material and Shifting enchantment (Both secretes of Zendrik) let you add the equivalent of morphing for a fixed +5500 cost (IIRC)

Well thanks I did not know of Blood Glass or Shifting

Blood Glass (Secrets of Xen'drik p. 147)
Piercing or slashing weapons crafted from blood glass grant the wielder a +1 bonus on damage rolls.
A blood glass item weighs 10% less than the same item made of metal.
The market price modifier for a blood glass weapon is +500 gp. Ammunition costs +10 gp

Shifting (Secrets of Xen'drik p. 147)
Weapon Must be made of Blood Glass
The wielder can alter the shape of the weapon into any other melee weapon of the same type and size category
+3,000 gp

Sizing (MIC p.43)
Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire
5,000 gp

The only problem even with shifting is it only works for melee weapons I can not shift a ranged weapon - thus the need for Morphing

edited

Jack_Simth
2022-01-03, 11:34 AM
Well thanks I did not know of Blood Glass or Shifting

Piercing or slashing weapons crafted from blood glass grant the wielder a +1 bonus on damage rolls.
The market price modifier for a blood glass weapon is +500 gp. Ammunition costs +10 gp

The wielder can alter the shape of the weapon into any other melee weapon of the same type and size category
+3,000 gp

Sizing (MIC p.43)
Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire
5,000 gp

The only problem even with shifting is it only works for melee weapons I can not shift a ranged weapon - thus the need for Morphing

edited
Elvencraft bows (Races of the Wild) are both melee and ranged....

Jervis
2022-01-03, 02:53 PM
Elvencraft bows (Races of the Wild) are both melee and ranged....

This basically. Doesn't work for all weapons but elvencraft bows are a good option. Plus bloodglass needs Drow craftsman anyway so that has you covered.

Jack_Simth
2022-01-03, 03:13 PM
This basically. Doesn't work for all weapons but elvencraft bows are a good option. Plus bloodglass needs Drow craftsman anyway so that has you covered.

Yeah. And I kind of get the impression that switch hitting is samduke's goal, which an Elvencrqft Bow handles in a mundane manner for cheap... other than needing to enchant it as a double or triple weapon....

Crake
2022-01-03, 06:19 PM
A large one handed weapon is the same as a medium two handed weapon and vice versa.

This is not actually true. I believe it was in 3.0, and it IS a variant rule in 3.5 in the DMG, but it is NOT the default. A large one handed weapon in the hands of a medium creature IS considered a 2 handed weapon, but it incurs a -2 penalty to attack rolls for wielding an improperly sized weapon, so it's not the same as wielding an appropriately sized, 2 handed weapon equivalent.

samduke
2022-01-03, 07:52 PM
Yeah. And I kind of get the impression that switch hitting is samduke's goal, which an Elvencrqft Bow handles in a mundane manner for cheap... other than needing to enchant it as a double or triple weapon....

A character wielding an elvencraft bow can freely interchange melee and ranged attacks during the same round
an elvencraft bow costs 300 gp more than a normal bow.

An elvencraft longbow functions as a Quarterstaff a Simple Two-Handed Melee weapon

+3,000 gp

I think That actually works

Feadin
2022-01-04, 10:54 AM
I think morphing doesn't change the size of the weapon.
IMC I put a staff that was a morphing weapon and because it's 2 handed it could only morph into other 2 handed weapons.

Bphill561
2022-01-04, 08:58 PM
For a truly morphic weapon, there is the specific weapon in the Underdark book called the Everchanging blade. It has morphing, sizing, and metalline on it. It can change into any +1 weapon. Pricing needs to be changed a bit since Sizing was updated from a +1 to 5,000gp. Also of course metalline was reworded in the MiC, so I am not sure if this weapon would allow a broader list of metals given it go beyond what morphic normally does.

I made one of these with the previously mentioned elven bow so I could enchant it with Hank's energy bow from the animated series handbook.

If you don't need light weapons, Changeling in the MiC can shift a spear between spear, short spear, and longspear. An extra 2000gp gives you two types instead of just locking it into one.

There is also the weaponshift spell in the Spell compendium. It cannot make double weapons, but pretty much anything else. If custom items are allowed, a pair of gloves with use activated weaponshift could be pretty fun. Add on wieldskill spell from Player's guide to faerun to also get proficiency with the weapon. Very cheap, but DM approval required.

Jervis
2022-01-04, 09:57 PM
For a truly morphic weapon, there is the specific weapon in the Underdark book called the Everchanging blade. It has morphing, sizing, and metalline on it. It can change into any +1 weapon. Pricing needs to be changed a bit since Sizing was updated from a +1 to 5,000gp. Also of course metalline was reworded in the MiC, so I am not sure if this weapon would allow a broader list of metals given it go beyond what morphic normally does.

I made one of these with the previously mentioned elven bow so I could enchant it with Hank's energy bow from the animated series handbook.

If you don't need light weapons, Changeling in the MiC can shift a spear between spear, short spear, and longspear. An extra 2000gp gives you two types instead of just locking it into one.

There is also the weaponshift spell in the Spell compendium. It cannot make double weapons, but pretty much anything else. If custom items are allowed, a pair of gloves with use activated weaponshift could be pretty fun. Add on wieldskill spell from Player's guide to faerun to also get proficiency with the weapon. Very cheap, but DM approval required.

I have a overwhelming desire to make a -2 everchanging blade with that mundane +5 enhancement bonus from that book i can never remember. Ends up a +3 indestructible weapon that can become anything and magically transports itself to your hand from anywhere in the cosmos whenever you try to use anything else. Probably add on the energybow stuff somehow for ammunition. What kind of price does that end up at? Everchchanging blade gets updated to something like 25k on its own.

Jervis
2022-01-05, 09:30 AM
This is not actually true. I believe it was in 3.0, and it IS a variant rule in 3.5 in the DMG, but it is NOT the default. A large one handed weapon in the hands of a medium creature IS considered a 2 handed weapon, but it incurs a -2 penalty to attack rolls for wielding an improperly sized weapon, so it's not the same as wielding an appropriately sized, 2 handed weapon equivalent.

To be fair it’s a common enough variant rule that it should be reasonable. All things considered it’s a fair change st for the combo and the damage scaling tracks