PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Peace Cleric stat distribution help needed.

Sir-Carlos
2022-01-03, 07:07 AM
I am building a Peace Cleric, for a "descent into Avernus" campaign. I rolled for stats and got (in no particular order): 16, 5, 17, 11, 6, 12. Race isn't decided yet, but maybe a Wild hunt Shifter? How should I distribute the stats? Or should I ask for a re-roll?

Khrysaes
2022-01-03, 07:47 AM
I am building a Peace Cleric, for a "descent into Avernus" campaign. I rolled for stats and got (in no particular order): 16, 5, 17, 11, 6, 12. Race isn't decided yet, but maybe a Wild hunt Shifter? How should I distribute the stats? Or should I ask for a re-roll?

Are the customizing races options from Tasha's allowed?

I would suggest 17 wis, 16 con, 12 Dex(try to get it to 14 for medium armor), rest wherever.

That said, I would ask for a reroll or use point buy because the 5 and 6 are very painful.

Amnestic
2022-01-03, 07:59 AM
Stats seem fine to me. Toss your 5 and 6 in Strength and Cha and be a weak softboy/girl who has trouble speaking up or standing up for themselves but desperately wants people to be safe. Prototypical MMO healer archetype.

5/12/16/11/17/6 pre racials

Wood elf, ghostwise halfling or kenku get you 14 dex, 18 wis, and you're solid.

Ghostwise halfling feels pretty appropriate as a "can't speak up" character, since they have at-will telepathy.

nickl_2000
2022-01-03, 08:01 AM
For races I would look at ones that give +2 Dex, +1 Wisdom

So: Wood Elf, Ghostwise Halfing, Kenku, Aarakocra

Strength: 11
Dexterity: 14: 12+2
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 6
Wisdom: 18: 17+1
Charisma: 5

I don't know how good it would be in Avernus, but a Kenku would actually be a pretty darn good fit for those stats.

Again, I don't know the monsters in Avernus, but cha and int saves are some of the least common so dumping those would be less of a big deal.

Far Traveler background gives you Insight and Perception skills. Kenku for steal and acrobatics. Cleric for Medicine and Religion. Since you aren't from the area, you aren't used to the customs (hence the low charisma). For your instrument from the background choose something many would find annoying (bagpipes, slide whistle, accordion, that sort of thing).

You should be able to contribute pretty well and help others on your team with those stats and layout.

Stats seem fine to me. Toss your 5 and 6 in Strength and Cha and be a weak softboy/girl who has trouble speaking up or standing up for themselves but desperately wants people to be safe. Prototypical MMO healer archetype.

5/12/16/11/17/6 pre racials

Wood elf, ghostwise halfling or kenku get you 14 dex, 18 wis, and you're solid.

Ghostwise halfling feels pretty appropriate as a "can't speak up" character, since they have at-will telepathy.

My only concern about the 5/6 in strength is the ability to actually carry anything around. With a 6 strength you only get a 90 lb carrying capacity, scale mail and a shield uses 51 of those 90 lbs. That only leaves 39 lbs of carrying capacity for weapons, food, and other equipment.

Khrysaes
2022-01-03, 11:01 AM
For races I would look at ones that give +2 Dex, +1 Wisdom:

If tasha’s customized origins where you can change your ability scores is allowed, then any race is viable stat wise.

nickl_2000
2022-01-03, 11:07 AM
If tasha’s customized origins where you can change your ability scores is allowed, then any race is viable stat wise.

Very true, since he picked Wildhunt Shifter in the first post I assumed that it wasn't available. However, if it is you can change all kinds of things, personally I would go with a race that gave resistance from fire damage.

Sir-Carlos
2022-01-03, 02:58 PM
For races I would look at ones that give +2 Dex, +1 Wisdom

So: Wood Elf, Ghostwise Halfing, Kenku, Aarakocra

Strength: 11
Dexterity: 14: 12+2
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 6
Wisdom: 18: 17+1
Charisma: 5

that is very good distribution, thanks for the tips :-). the only thing I am worried about, is the low charisma. How do you Roleplay 5 charisma?

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-03, 03:04 PM
How do you Roleplay 5 charisma? Don't worry about it. Let the Cha score inform your role play, not dictate it. Just play and let your own instincts take over if you think that the low number matters. (Hint: it doesn't, actually, unless you need to roll the dice).

Also, with a 5 and a 6 stat, I'd make sure one of your racial plus 1's improved the 5 since -2 is better than -3.

Now all you have to worry about is role playing a 6 charisma ... and as above, the number doesn't matter.

Aside: you don't actually need an 18 at level 1 to do well as a cleric. Pick up a half feat at level 4 to get the wisdom up to level 18 and off you go.

Amnestic
2022-01-03, 03:10 PM
My only concern about the 5/6 in strength is the ability to actually carry anything around. With a 6 strength you only get a 90 lb carrying capacity, scale mail and a shield uses 51 of those 90 lbs. That only leaves 39 lbs of carrying capacity for weapons, food, and other equipment.

It is a potential issue, but thankfully you're in a party of helpful friends who will have copious carrying capacity to spare. If everyone in the party drops a 5 or a 6 in strength it could be an issue though, I suppose.

nickl_2000
2022-01-03, 03:14 PM
that is very good distribution, thanks for the tips :-). the only thing I am worried about, is the low charisma. How do you Roleplay 5 charisma?

-Exceedingly shy, unwilling or to shy to interact with others (koothrappali around women in big bang theory)
-Obnoxious, says whatever is on his mind, pushes himself into situation where he shouldn't
-Super nerd about something, like nerding out about it all the time and never shutting up about it.

For 2 and 3, check with your group. They can become horrible for a table to play with (or exceedingly fun if the table like it).

I had a Druid that with a 6 charisma. He was obnoxious, he jumped into conversations he wasn't involved in, he accidently insulted NPCs (with socially inept comments like "that is a really bad shade of blue for you, it really brings out the pox marks on your face"). It was fun for the group most of the time, even to the point where he tried to take point and someone grappled him, dragged him out of the room, and gagged him instead of letting him talk. However, I also tried to avoid making it completely about me and told my fellow players to let me know if I was going to far and making ti not fun for them.

Angelalex242
2022-01-03, 04:46 PM
Eh. There's a lot of people with negative charisma scores in real life. Just act like the person who grinds your gears the most, and it'll probably not be too far off.