PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Academy of Heroes - Encounters for Kids

Eradis
2022-01-03, 08:35 AM
Heya!

TL/DR: I'm seeking help to find encounter ideas for short session with kids. Puzzle-like maybe?

I'm about to play a simplified version of D&D once again with my kids. I did it a year ago with no dice and pretty short session. Now that they are a bit older I'm introducing dice and will be structuring the game a tad more.

Since they are still pretty young though, I'm having trouble coming up with encounters that are short and not just pure combat.

Having the concept of an Academy of Heroes in mind to help them ease into the mechanics of a pen & paper game, I thought about some "training" encounters à la Disney Hercules. I mean to introduce spells here and there and confront them with puzzle encounters in which they would need to use their new-found power (ex.: using a levitation spell on the sibling so they can cross the gap and drop the rope ladder).

I would very much like to put a document together for easy reference. I have a base done with my evolving system, but what I really lack are kids oriented encounters and adventures. What I found so far are too elaborate or requires longer sessions. 15-20 sessions are my first objective and depending on how it goes I want to extend those sessions.

Thanks!

nickl_2000
2022-01-03, 08:40 AM
Hero Kids is great for younger kids.

However, there is a Facebook group I'm a member of that has some great adventures in a Patreon.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1180750442102143

Eradis
2022-01-03, 08:59 AM
Hero Kids is great for younger kids.

However, there is a Facebook group I'm a member of that has some great adventures in a Patreon.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1180750442102143

Yeah, I actually own the Hero Kids. I forgot they have a few adventures. I will definitively look them up. From what I remember, it is a lot combat-focused which I'm trying to include less in my first sessions.

Spiritchaser
2022-01-03, 09:12 AM
Most of the existing hero kids content is combat focussed or potentially stealth focused if your kids like solving things that way, but the extremely basic check system can actually work just fine for social encounters, and puzzles work just fine. I’d be inclined to stick with that until your kids drive towards more complex systems on their own

Once my son and his friend started modifying the hero kids rules to make a more detailed game (horribly balanced at first, actually not bad later) it was time for more

Unoriginal
2022-01-03, 09:39 AM
Heya!

TL/DR: I'm seeking help to find encounter ideas for short session with kids. Puzzle-like maybe?

I'm about to play a simplified version of D&D once again with my kids. I did it a year ago with no dice and pretty short session. Now that they are a bit older I'm introducing dice and will be structuring the game a tad more.

Since they are still pretty young though, I'm having trouble coming up with encounters that are short and not just pure combat.

Having the concept of an Academy of Heroes in mind to help them ease into the mechanics of a pen & paper game, I thought about some "training" encounters à la Disney Hercules. I mean to introduce spells here and there and confront them with puzzle encounters in which they would need to use their new-found power (ex.: using a levitation spell on the sibling so they can cross the gap and drop the rope ladder).

I would very much like to put a document together for easy reference. I have a base done with my evolving system, but what I really lack are kids oriented encounters and adventures. What I found so far are too elaborate or requires longer sessions. 15-20 sessions are my first objective and depending on how it goes I want to extend those sessions.

Thanks!

Which level/classes would the PCs be? I have ideas, but without knowing what they can do it's a bit hard to see what the training would be.

Eradis
2022-01-03, 10:02 AM
Which level/classes would the PCs be? I have ideas, but without knowing what they can do it's a bit hard to see what the training would be.

I had a "Heroes en herbe" train of thought. No specific class, although if we have to label them, one will probably a Fighter and the other a Caster. Honestly, I kinda wish they can touch just about everything in our first few sessions so they can experience what it is to be a Ranger, a Caster, a Fighter, a Support. They will have some stat making them better in some area, but I want them to know they can do anything they wish (even though if not everything will succeed).

They are very young. And by that I mean the oldest is 4.

Bobthewizard
2022-01-03, 10:25 AM
My kids had fun with festival games I made for them. I made up most of the NPCs here but some of the NPCs and all the locations are from the Town of Bridgepuddle adventure. I made the games to fit each of the PCs but you could vary them. I may have taken some of these from posts in this forum.

10GP to the winner and can bet up to another 50gp at even odds

ARCHERY - Eldritch Knight archer PC - this was the only one the PCs didn't win.

Raviel, High Elf female +4, popular, thoughtless (from High Forest, you know her, she doesn’t you) at 30
Turtledove, Halfling male +2 charming and egotistical (at 44)
Sturvilla, Human female +2, sensitive and entitled (Town Guard Captain at 22)
Moe, Human male +5 blunt, physically intimidating but friendly (Town Guard at 22)

5 Rounds. 1 shot each round. Total to hit less 10 is your score. 15 is a bullseye.
Critical hit is a center bullseye and is worth 25 points. Highest score wins

WRESTLING - Barbarian PC - Note: with rage this wasn't close

Round 1 Markus, Human male +1, reluctant (at 34)
Round 2 against winner of the following:
Dalnus, Dwarf male +5, happy and enthusiastic (at 32)
(vs. Og, Half-Orc male) elitist and hostile (at 36)

ATH checks each turn. Success by >5 is takedown (+1) then move (+2), then pin (+3).
If down, success means minus 1. Escape at zero.
Two points for takedown, one for escape, pin for the win. Ends at 10 rounds, unless tied

FOOT RACE - Rogue PC Note: with cunning action, this one wasn't close

Virran, wood elf male +4 (35’) diplomatic and extroverted (scouts for wood elf tribe) (at 11)
Helkas, wood elf female +4 (35’) well-mannered, friendly (at 11)
Jemun, human male +3 (30’) courageous and quiet (at 8)
Top Card, tabaxi male +3 (30’ + double speed first round) distracted, charming, flirts (wanderer) at 30

100 yard dash. Move + Dash +d20 + acrobatics. First to 300’. Highest at end of last round wins

CANTRIP CAN CHALLENGE - Sorcerer PC

Archie, Human male wizard with Ray of Frost +5, quiet, respectful and mature (at 18)
Kelqen, Eladrin elf Warlock with Eldritch Blast +5, enthusiastic, emotional, dramatic (ambassador, at 30)
If he loses, Kelgen goes from Autumn to Summer (angry) to winter (cries, accuses you of cheating)

5 cans each lined up on a railing 50’ away. 5 shots to see how many you knock off. AC 14.
Critical hits cause target to hit another, knocking 2 off. Critical fail knocks off an opponents’ can

GOAT CART RACE - Halfling cleric PC - This was the most fun. We did it last, with everyone cheering.

Tyler, Halfling female +1 cheerful and restless (at 44)
Anne, Halfling male +1 anxious and idle (at 44)
Patches, Gnome male +5 arrogant, fearless and resourceful (won the past 4 years) at 43

Ride in wooden cart pulled by a goat, which cannot be (magically) physically manipulated to increase in size or have 6 legs or whatever abomination. Cart only fits a small creature.

150 yard course (450’) through the festival. First to 450’. Highest total after the last round wins
Speed of the goat (base speed + dash for 60) + d20 + land vehicle skill

Obstacles: One round clear, then add 3 obstacles, then the rest with double modifier.

Round 2
other racer bangs cart against yours, roll Athletics to keep the cart upright (DC10)

Round 3
cobblestone road causes the cart to bounce, roll Acrobatics to remain seated (DC10)

Round 4
goat is distracted by produce along the route, roll Animal Handling to speed it up (DC10)
last place opponent automatically stops to eat lettuce

Each failure is a loss of 20 feet of movement for the turn

Unoriginal
2022-01-03, 10:38 AM
I had a "Heroes en herbe" train of thought. No specific class, although if we have to label them, one will probably a Fighter and the other a Caster. Honestly, I kinda wish they can touch just about everything in our first few sessions so they can experience what it is to be a Ranger, a Caster, a Fighter, a Support. They will have some stat making them better in some area, but I want them to know they can do anything they wish (even though if not everything will succeed).

They are very young. And by that I mean the oldest is 4.

In that case, I would go for a simple but powerful "bad guy": an Ogre.

A labyrinth with various puzzles/challenge, with the Ogre patrolling it (with the PCs being able to trick them, sneak around, etc) would be a good setup for this, I think.

With the caveat the Ogre is part of the academy's staff and isn't going to actually harm them.

Eradis
2022-01-03, 10:56 AM
My kids had fun with festival games I made for them. I made up most of the NPCs here but some of the NPCs and all the locations are from the Town of Bridgepuddle adventure. I made the games to fit each of the PCs but you could vary them. I may have taken some of these from posts in this forum.

10GP to the winner and can bet up to another 50gp at even odds

ARCHERY - Eldritch Knight archer PC - this was the only one the PCs didn't win.

Raviel, High Elf female +4, popular, thoughtless (from High Forest, you know her, she doesn’t you) at 30
Turtledove, Halfling male +2 charming and egotistical (at 44)
Sturvilla, Human female +2, sensitive and entitled (Town Guard Captain at 22)
Moe, Human male +5 blunt, physically intimidating but friendly (Town Guard at 22)

5 Rounds. 1 shot each round. Total to hit less 10 is your score. 15 is a bullseye.
Critical hit is a center bullseye and is worth 25 points. Highest score wins

WRESTLING - Barbarian PC - Note: with rage this wasn't close

Round 1 Markus, Human male +1, reluctant (at 34)
Round 2 against winner of the following:
Dalnus, Dwarf male +5, happy and enthusiastic (at 32)
(vs. Og, Half-Orc male) elitist and hostile (at 36)

ATH checks each turn. Success by >5 is takedown (+1) then move (+2), then pin (+3).
If down, success means minus 1. Escape at zero.
Two points for takedown, one for escape, pin for the win. Ends at 10 rounds, unless tied

FOOT RACE - Rogue PC Note: with cunning action, this one wasn't close

Virran, wood elf male +4 (35’) diplomatic and extroverted (scouts for wood elf tribe) (at 11)
Helkas, wood elf female +4 (35’) well-mannered, friendly (at 11)
Jemun, human male +3 (30’) courageous and quiet (at 8)
Top Card, tabaxi male +3 (30’ + double speed first round) distracted, charming, flirts (wanderer) at 30

100 yard dash. Move + Dash +d20 + acrobatics. First to 300’. Highest at end of last round wins

CANTRIP CAN CHALLENGE - Sorcerer PC

Archie, Human male wizard with Ray of Frost +5, quiet, respectful and mature (at 18)
Kelqen, Eladrin elf Warlock with Eldritch Blast +5, enthusiastic, emotional, dramatic (ambassador, at 30)
If he loses, Kelgen goes from Autumn to Summer (angry) to winter (cries, accuses you of cheating)

5 cans each lined up on a railing 50’ away. 5 shots to see how many you knock off. AC 14.
Critical hits cause target to hit another, knocking 2 off. Critical fail knocks off an opponents’ can

GOAT CART RACE - Halfling cleric PC - This was the most fun. We did it last, with everyone cheering.

Tyler, Halfling female +1 cheerful and restless (at 44)
Anne, Halfling male +1 anxious and idle (at 44)
Patches, Gnome male +5 arrogant, fearless and resourceful (won the past 4 years) at 43

Ride in wooden cart pulled by a goat, which cannot be (magically) physically manipulated to increase in size or have 6 legs or whatever abomination. Cart only fits a small creature.

150 yard course (450’) through the festival. First to 450’. Highest total after the last round wins
Speed of the goat (base speed + dash for 60) + d20 + land vehicle skill

Obstacles: One round clear, then add 3 obstacles, then the rest with double modifier.

Round 2
other racer bangs cart against yours, roll Athletics to keep the cart upright (DC10)

Round 3
cobblestone road causes the cart to bounce, roll Acrobatics to remain seated (DC10)

Round 4
goat is distracted by produce along the route, roll Animal Handling to speed it up (DC10)
last place opponent automatically stops to eat lettuce

Each failure is a loss of 20 feet of movement for the turn

That's a lot of fun ideas! I especially like the goat race and the description with props it inspired me for the other possible challenge. Thanks!

In that case, I would go for a simple but powerful "bad guy": an Ogre.

A labyrinth with various puzzles/challenge, with the Ogre patrolling it (with the PCs being able to trick them, sneak around, etc) would be a good setup for this, I think.

With the caveat the Ogre is part of the academy's staff and isn't going to actually harm them.

Love the idea. Thank you. I can easily see this as a part of the final test in which they have to use a combination of the things they've learned.

Brookshw
2022-01-03, 11:47 AM
I run a simple version for my 4 yro, we roll a D20 and D10 (so she can practice reading numbers).

What I've found helpful, short quests about 20 minutes each (though she'll happily play them back to back) with a focus on exploration or helping someone. So far things which she's been particularly happy about
- solve the simple puzzle to find a secret door (finding secrets is fun);
- Rescue someone, rescuing baby dragons seems to be a plus;
- find the treasure, doesn't matter what it is;
- Explore the map, fairly literally, I picked up the Scarlet Citadel map folio (https://www.amazon.com/Paizo-Scarlet-Citadel-Map-Folio/dp/1950789098), she's super excited to explore each map, you can fill the rooms with all sorts of details for who lives there;
- having a friend character to travel with (more sidekick than DM PC, but useful to prompt them sometimes);
- Toss in whatever monster currently captures her attention (werewolves and pumpkin monsters around halloween, etc.), simple and readily identifiable monsters they're already generally familiar with.

Segev
2022-01-03, 12:58 PM
Mini-adventure 1: Scavanger Hunt Camp Out

Their classes have been divided into adventuring parties and sent out to the nearby woods/hills/whatever with a task of hunting for particular items, including herbs, rare rocks, and some beast or monstrosity parts (or a living small creature or few). They leave in the morning, will camp overnight, and are due back the next day by sunset.

This should do some very basic exploration and skill check stuff: get them to describe how they look for things, including their camp site. Provide them with a few encounters that are hard-to-reach plants, mushrooms in a cave which may or may not have monsters in it, and possibly a random encounter or two. Have some chances for herbalists to make useful things from herbs they find, or identify substitutes for items they aren't able to find easily. Introduce a rival kid-party or two who're also doing this, and make one of the contests for an item a challenge due to both groups finding it at the same time. The better the PC party does on rolls to locate it, the closer to it they are when the other party finds it. One of these parties should be more duplicitous; maybe have the night encounter be the sneaky ones trying to steal stuff from the PCs.

Mini-adventure 2: The Test!

Oh no! When they returned, they scarsely got to enjoy turning in their findings before the teacher gave them a test! This test is in two parts: part 1 should be questions the players have to answer, themselves, which can be answered if they found things successfully or were otherwise paying attention. Part 2 should be theory, and basically be another skill check, with a sliding scale of their grade to their result.

But wait! As they're enjoying some time off after getting their grades back, it's discovered that the teacher's answer key was stolen! Those with the best grades are suspects! Can the PCs discover who did it before their smartest / luckiest / highest-scoring member(s) get blamed? The real culprit may not be above planting evidence, either.

Bonus bit: If the PCs include any sneaky types, personality-wise, you might make the opportunity to BE the one who steals the answer key be available to them. Just let them know where the answer key can be seen, and let them decide if they'll do anything about it.

Eradis
2022-01-03, 07:52 PM
I run a simple version for my 4 yro, we roll a D20 and D10 (so she can practice reading numbers).

What I've found helpful, short quests about 20 minutes each (though she'll happily play them back to back) with a focus on exploration or helping someone. So far things which she's been particularly happy about
- solve the simple puzzle to find a secret door (finding secrets is fun);
- Rescue someone, rescuing baby dragons seems to be a plus;
- find the treasure, doesn't matter what it is;
- Explore the map, fairly literally, I picked up the Scarlet Citadel map folio (https://www.amazon.com/Paizo-Scarlet-Citadel-Map-Folio/dp/1950789098), she's super excited to explore each map, you can fill the rooms with all sorts of details for who lives there;
- having a friend character to travel with (more sidekick than DM PC, but useful to prompt them sometimes);
- Toss in whatever monster currently captures her attention (werewolves and pumpkin monsters around halloween, etc.), simple and readily identifiable monsters they're already generally familiar with.

I like those. Thank you!

I never really used pre-made maps as they are usually beautiful, but you can't play on them as they are quite small. How do you use them?

Mini-adventure 1: Scavanger Hunt Camp Out

Their classes have been divided into adventuring parties and sent out to the nearby woods/hills/whatever with a task of hunting for particular items, including herbs, rare rocks, and some beast or monstrosity parts (or a living small creature or few). They leave in the morning, will camp overnight, and are due back the next day by sunset.

This should do some very basic exploration and skill check stuff: get them to describe how they look for things, including their camp site. Provide them with a few encounters that are hard-to-reach plants, mushrooms in a cave which may or may not have monsters in it, and possibly a random encounter or two. Have some chances for herbalists to make useful things from herbs they find, or identify substitutes for items they aren't able to find easily. Introduce a rival kid-party or two who're also doing this, and make one of the contests for an item a challenge due to both groups finding it at the same time. The better the PC party does on rolls to locate it, the closer to it they are when the other party finds it. One of these parties should be more duplicitous; maybe have the night encounter be the sneaky ones trying to steal stuff from the PCs.

Mini-adventure 2: The Test!

Oh no! When they returned, they scarsely got to enjoy turning in their findings before the teacher gave them a test! This test is in two parts: part 1 should be questions the players have to answer, themselves, which can be answered if they found things successfully or were otherwise paying attention. Part 2 should be theory, and basically be another skill check, with a sliding scale of their grade to their result.

But wait! As they're enjoying some time off after getting their grades back, it's discovered that the teacher's answer key was stolen! Those with the best grades are suspects! Can the PCs discover who did it before their smartest / luckiest / highest-scoring member(s) get blamed? The real culprit may not be above planting evidence, either.

Bonus bit: If the PCs include any sneaky types, personality-wise, you might make the opportunity to BE the one who steals the answer key be available to them. Just let them know where the answer key can be seen, and let them decide if they'll do anything about it.

The scavenging hunt is perfect to integrate exploration bit (I want to have more of them), which is probably the pillar I am the less versed with. I have difficulty bringing exploration on the table. Maybe it is because in my head saying : "There is a ravine, you must cross it. The only thing you see is a flimsy rope bridge with rotten boards" - roll -> resolved, does not strike interesting. How could I make these parts more interesting?

Also, thank you for this!

Brookshw
2022-01-03, 08:29 PM
I never really used pre-made maps as they are usually beautiful, but you can't play on them as they are quite small. How do you use them?

Normally I just use my dry erase, but I found those helpful. They're battle maps with 1 inch squares so they're good for minis, each one is poster size and you just unfold it. That they're better detailed than something I draw on the dry erase I think helps, she gets pretty excited to go find out what's in the crystal room, or the mushroom room, etc., so you can sort of work of their imagination and natural curiosity.

I do recall one point where she wanted to put out a fire, so first we had to explore and find someone with a bucket, then she decided to go back to the mushroom room to press mushrooms for water, how she knew mushrooms have a lot of water in them I have no idea (/proud parent bragging).

Incidentally, I find fights aren't very interesting for her so I use them sparingly, it's usually about the exploration. Also, one of my players helped his kids learn by letting them play I'm a group of supportive adults (uncle's, long time friends etc.), just something to consider.

Edit:

The scavenging hunt is perfect to integrate exploration bit (I want to have more of them), which is probably the pillar I am the less versed with. I have difficulty bringing exploration on the table. Maybe it is because in my head saying : "There is a ravine, you must cross it. The only thing you see is a flimsy rope bridge with rotten boards" - roll -> resolved, does not strike interesting. How could I make these parts more interesting?

I find treating things as, well, stuff to explore, rather than overcome helps. What's in the ravine? Are there caves? Any birds or other animals? Anything at the bottom? Let them choose the objective they want, then get them thinking about how to accomplish it.

Thanks for asking the question btw, gives me a reason to reflect on what's working, and what isn't, for own kid games.

Eradis
2022-01-04, 08:47 AM
Normally I just use my dry erase, but I found those helpful. They're battle maps with 1 inch squares so they're good for minis [...]

Oh! I was certain they were like the maps in the official books. Pretty and all, but that you still have to draw them on the mat. That's good to know. I might give these a try if they get hoooked on the game.

I do recall one point where she wanted to put out a fire, so first we had to explore and find someone with a bucket, then she decided to go back to the mushroom room to press mushrooms for water, how she knew mushrooms have a lot of water in them I have no idea (/proud parent bragging).

That's brilliant! Only way I would've thought of that is if I just had a survival class or something and given the information freshly.

Incidentally, I find fights aren't very interesting for her so I use them sparingly, it's usually about the exploration. Also, one of my players helped his kids learn by letting them play I'm a group of supportive adults (uncle's, long time friends etc.), just something to consider.

I found out during my research about Starport. Apparently it is focused on non-combat encounters. Definitively worth looking into.

For an adult group, unfortunately, with the pandemic it is off the table for me. Although, I would probably only have access to one more adult with two or three more kids to entertain.

Thank you once again for the tips. It made me reflect a bit on what I want to introduce too.

Segev
2022-01-04, 09:46 PM
The scavenging hunt is perfect to integrate exploration bit (I want to have more of them), which is probably the pillar I am the less versed with. I have difficulty bringing exploration on the table. Maybe it is because in my head saying : "There is a ravine, you must cross it. The only thing you see is a flimsy rope bridge with rotten boards" - roll -> resolved, does not strike interesting. How could I make these parts more interesting?Having a map of the area, either a detailed one if it's small enough, or a rough hex grid with various encounter possibilities for each hex if it's bigger, is a good approach. For this, probably something between a mile square and six miles square.

Note that "encounters" need not be creatures, nor even hazards. Just points of interest. They can be creatures or hazards, of course, but anything neat to call out and interact with works.

If you give them a ravine with a bridge, don't make them roll to spot the bridge. Have the bridge be interesting, or have something else interesting going on. Perception yields more information before things become crucial. Maybe perception notices that the bridge is rickety and will break if any of the middle fifteen feet of planks are stepped on. How do they deal with that? If they don't notice, it breaks while they're crossing and they have to figure out how to recover. Maybe they fall into the ravine and take damage, or maybe they hold on to the bridge and can climb out.

Ask yourself less, "How is this an obstacle?" and more, "How is this interesting? What is neat about it?" Don't be afraid to present obstacles with no obvious solution, either. Let the players look around and determine what they can try. They may surprise you. Be reasonable or even permissive with your answers if they ask if things are nearby. For example, if they ask if there's a vine, and it's not unreasonable that there could be, let them roll perception or nature or survival or something to find one.

Also, thank you for this!
You're quite welcome!

Eradis
2022-01-07, 09:41 AM
Having a map of the area, either a detailed one if it's small enough, or a rough hex grid with various encounter possibilities for each hex if it's bigger, is a good approach. For this, probably something between a mile square and six miles square.

Note that "encounters" need not be creatures, nor even hazards. Just points of interest. They can be creatures or hazards, of course, but anything neat to call out and interact with works.

If you give them a ravine with a bridge, don't make them roll to spot the bridge. Have the bridge be interesting, or have something else interesting going on. Perception yields more information before things become crucial. Maybe perception notices that the bridge is rickety and will break if any of the middle fifteen feet of planks are stepped on. How do they deal with that? If they don't notice, it breaks while they're crossing and they have to figure out how to recover. Maybe they fall into the ravine and take damage, or maybe they hold on to the bridge and can climb out.

Ask yourself less, "How is this an obstacle?" and more, "How is this interesting? What is neat about it?" Don't be afraid to present obstacles with no obvious solution, either. Let the players look around and determine what they can try. They may surprise you. Be reasonable or even permissive with your answers if they ask if things are nearby. For example, if they ask if there's a vine, and it's not unreasonable that there could be, let them roll perception or nature or survival or something to find one.

You're quite welcome!

Once again, interesting inputs. Thank you!

[...]

So, I finally did my first session using Hero Kids' system. I put them in an academy of Heroes like I initially wanted. They had the first introduction with the headmaster. They had a fun little combat encounter against a group of small robots whose eyes changed color according to damaged received. At my surprise, both did pretty well of focusing fire and using their array of abilities (switching weapon to fit the range, entangling the enemies, healing when hurt, heck, even flanking!).

Now that I know they don't cry when their character is hurt or in a tight spot I can safely move forward.

Their next class will be Potion Brewing. I intend to introduce the potion master and send them on a hunt for the precious Healius herbs that grows naturally in the Academy's forest. I will have them tasked with finding some. They will have to search for them, and figure out how to reach tough to get plants. They will have to be extra careful not to damage the plant itself while harvesting. Good time to introduce some characters they might need to help later.