PDA

View Full Version : Torso items outside the MIC

danielxcutter
2022-01-03, 12:19 PM
...Or the original versions that were explicitly or implicitly updated to the MIC, of course. Looking for something for an arcane gish with the main bases more or less covered with spells and items. Also... preferably something that looks good with a Robe of the Inferno but isn't red. That's why I had to pass over the Shirt of the Leech, sadly.

Feldar
2022-01-03, 03:00 PM
I don't know of a single GM that wouldn't allow you to change the appearance of an item from the provided description in most cases, but assuming you find a GM like that you could always use a hat of disguise...

danielxcutter
2022-01-03, 09:39 PM
It’s mostly a personal quibble thing.

Fizban
2022-01-04, 05:06 AM
Is the Tabard of the Nimbral Herald a torso slot? Hmm, doesn't say aside from using "robe" the visual description- ah, but I assume "tabard" is torso because the tabards in Champions of Valor all say torso. As does the "Robe" of the Vagabond, an effective "stack +1's of every bonus type" item, but also explicitly stained and thus unfasionable. I might guess that some writers forgot there's a difference between torso (shirt) and robe (armor) slots.

Why not just a Vest of Resistance? White should look fine under anything, black and orange included.

danielxcutter
2022-01-04, 05:16 AM
Is the Tabard of the Nimbral Herald a torso slot? Hmm, doesn't say aside from using "robe" the visual description- ah, but I assume "tabard" is torso because the tabards in Champions of Valor all say torso. As does the "Robe" of the Vagabond, an effective "stack +1's of every bonus type" item, but also explicitly stained and thus unfasionable. I might guess that some writers forgot there's a difference between torso (shirt) and robe (armor) slots.

I don't remember hearing that first one. And the RotV is a torso slot?

Why not just a Vest of Resistance? White should look fine under anything, black and orange included.

Simple; Superior Resistance.(This is also part of the reason why I didn't go for a Robe of the Archmagi and then get a robe without an AC bonus, though the surprising lack of good robes is also a factor).

Fizban
2022-01-04, 05:34 AM
Tabard of the Nimbral Herald is in Champions of Valor, cheap little 1/day free action flying item- it's black with white highlights, though I thought it was blue and was originally thinking blue and red based on your not-red stipulation. The Robe of the Vagabond and CCham tabards do indeed explicitly say torso.

danielxcutter
2022-01-04, 05:49 AM
Tabard of the Nimbral Herald is in Champions of Valor, cheap little 1/day free action flying item- it's black with white highlights, though I thought it was blue and was originally thinking blue and red based on your not-red stipulation. The Robe of the Vagabond and CCham tabards do indeed explicitly say torso.

Flight? Hmm, not terribly useful on this character. Honestly I'm also trying to avoid items that overlap in terms of style or physical space on the body - seriously there are way too many robe/cloak items like that in the MIC.

ShurikVch
2022-01-04, 10:55 AM
Tabard of Valor (Complete Champion) is white with red lightning (symbol of Heironeous)

If Dragon magazines are OK, then:
Bully Chains (#339) "Some Bullies wore thick, heavy chains crisscrossed across their chests, both as rudimentary armor and to toughen their image."; +4 on Intimidate, and demoralization lasts one round longer
Demonhair Shirt (#356) "This filthy black garment is woven from coarse black hair."; spend 2 daily uses of Rage to get demonic fury (which stacks with Rage or/and Frenzy)
Quaal's Surreptitious Armor of Expedience (#359) "Dark feathers and a rabbit's foot hanging near the waist adorn this mithral rune-etched chain shirt.": +8 AC (0 ACP, 0% ASF), Mobility bonus feat, Fly and Longstrider 1/day
Tabard of the Great Crusade [relic] (#358) "This simple white tabard bears Saint Cuthbert's starburst symbol on the right breast."; Daylight and Prayer 1/day, Cure Minor Wounds 20/day, and +5 natural AC; slowly cleaning itself up to pristine and white in no more than 24 hours

danielxcutter
2022-01-04, 10:57 AM
Arcane gish remember… also this one is Evil. And doesn’t like gods.

ShurikVch
2022-01-04, 11:42 AM
Well RAW for demonic fury don't says it impedes spellcasting

Also, Quaal's Surreptitious Armor of Expedience is ideal for arcane gishes (65250 gp cost aside)

danielxcutter
2022-01-04, 12:05 PM
Well RAW for demonic fury don't says it impedes spellcasting

Also, Quaal's Surreptitious Armor of Expedience is ideal for arcane gishes (65250 gp cost aside)

Where are these?

ShurikVch
2022-01-04, 12:49 PM
Where are these?
Demonic fury is effect from Demonhair Shirt ("Savage Tidings: Into the Abyss", Dragon #356) - but to activate it you would need two daily uses of Rage

Quaal's Surreptitious Armor of Expedience ("Treasures of Greyhawk: Magic of the Company of Seven", Dragon #359) - it looks pretty much like an armor, but "Body Slot:" line says "Torso", not "Body"