PDA

View Full Version : Saving Provoking Grenades

sophosbarbaros
2007-11-21, 12:12 AM
I have been thinking about some type of thrown weapon that would make a target roll several saves. Ideally all three. I was hoping some of you ingenious playgrounders could give me a hand. A grenade type weapon is preferable but any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a ton

Icewalker
2007-11-21, 12:24 AM
Hmmmm

Grenade, reflex to dodge. If they fail to dodge, will to stop the chemical in it from screwing with their brains, then if they fail that, fortitude to stop the hugely messed up bodily fluids being sent to all the wrong places from the chemical. :smallbiggrin:

They should all be hard saves, and the result is death if they fail all three, but any success ends it.

tyckspoon
2007-11-21, 12:32 AM
Glue a thunderstone to a tanglefoot bag. Whip it hard at somebody so the thunderstone pops. Reflex+Fort achieved.

Alchemist's fire + some noxious powder in the cap or wrapped around the vial would be fun too. When the vial bursts, the alchemist's fire burns the powder into a smoke cloud. Reflex to put out the fire + Fort to resist choking/nausea/blinding/whatever. I can't think of a good way to add Will to that without getting outright magical (and therefore much more expensive.)

Idea Man
2007-11-21, 12:38 AM
How about...tanglefoot-style bag for reflex, releases a gaseous poison for fortitude, and...um......is there an alchemical will-based item? I suppose you could have something that makes a hideous sound to make them shaken, or bright flashing lights to dazzle, although that's probably a fort save.

Hmm, if you could make it look horrifying, that might work. Couldn't say how, though.

TheLogman
2007-11-21, 12:40 AM
Cast Delayed Blast Fireball, put a Major Image on it to make it look like an Apple/Ball/Something you would catch when thrown at you. Put contact poison on the "Apple". Will save to disbelieve it's an "Apple", Fort against the Poison, and Reflex against the Fireball.

Hawriel
2007-11-21, 12:52 AM
how can you 'dodge' a fire ball if your holding it in your hand?

Jack Zander
2007-11-21, 12:54 AM

Maybe they realize what it is last second and throw it while tumbling away?

Or maybe DnD just doesn't have good representations of things like that.

horseboy
2007-11-21, 01:28 AM
Like that pic of Lidda on page 85.

sophosbarbaros
2007-11-21, 02:20 AM
thanks a ton, I was reallying needing some alternate perceptions working on this. You know how it is when you get stuck on an idea and can't seem think about a problem any other way.

nerulean
2007-11-21, 07:22 AM
Great Thunderclap is a spell from the Spell Compendium that provokes all three saves. The effects aren't great, but it is a burst-shaped spell that could be made into single use grenade-like items. Probably not worth the cost, but the flavour's nice.