PDA

View Full Version : Making the Artificer a Full Caster

Psyren
2022-01-04, 02:16 AM
(Inspired by the Int-lock (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?641043-Warlock-Based-off-INT) thread)

For a good chunk of 5e's life, Wizard stood alone as the only Int-based caster* - until the Artificer came along. But even with that, the Artificer is still "just" a half-caster.
Conceptually though... there's nothing inherent to artifice as a power source that should lock it out from being able to go all the way up to the highest levels of magic... right?

My question therefore is - if you were tasked with extending the Artificer to be another 9th-level caster - how would you do it? Specifically:

Which 6th+ level spells would you want to add to their spell list?
Would you remove or change any class or subclass features to compensate for them being full-casters, or would they be fine as-is? If yes, which ones?
Are there any brand new features (optional or not) you'd consider adding?
What kind of fluff effects would you think of adding to these new spells to distinguish them from those used by other full casters? (e.g. I could picture Meteor Swarm as a giant mortar cannon, or the painting laser for an orbital strike.)

*not counting EK / AT

MoiMagnus
2022-01-04, 02:55 AM
The Artificer is already full of features, and good ones. Meaning that if you put it as a full spellcaster without axing some part of it, you will obtain a class both much more complex and much stronger than the others.

The easiest is probably to axe everything related to infusions, it might not be enough to tone it down, but it's a good start. If you really like some of the infusion, you could additionally axe some significant parts of the subclass and replace them by some of the infusions specific to the subclass (and much less numerous).

Full spellcasters, especially those with a lot of non-spell class features, are usually expected to be squishy*, but Artificer are currently a class expected to be played with high AC and good Constitution, so something needs to be done about that. I'd say removing all Armour proficiency is a good start, but something would need to be done about the Armourer (not sure what).

*Clerics are not that squishy, but if you want to axe all the class features of the Artificer up until they are as significant as the cleric's class features, not a lot will remain.

If that wasn't for the Cure Wound spell, I would have considered making the Artificer a short rest caster like the warlock, since the Artificer is already designed with "most of my rounds I'm not casting a levelled spell" in mind. In fact, I'd consider removing Cure Wound from their spell list to make this.

Rad
2022-01-04, 04:26 AM
The artifice is more of a power source than a single class. I would follow the same pattern as "nature" that has three classes (barbarian, ranger and druid). The "caster" class can be spoiled of armor and most combat abilities while the armorer could be a model of the more martial one.

Creating magic items should be the purest from of artifice though, so stripping infusions from the "caster" class feels bad thematicaly,

kingcheesepants
2022-01-04, 04:26 AM
I'd love to see an Artificer as a full caster with up to 9th level spells. I love the flavor of Artificers and I feel that there are a number of high level spells that would be great on an Artificer. In terms of balance you would have to gut a ton of stuff because as is Artificers are pretty well balanced and if you added high level casting on top of that it would be massive overkill. After getting rid of a lot of their features you'd probably be left with something halfway between a cleric and a wizard (automatically knowing all their spells, having recovery spells and having good health and armor like a cleric and being Int based and sharing a lot of the spell list with wizard). Let's look at some spells that might work.

6th level
Arcane Gate
Chain Lightning
Contingency
Create Homunculus
Globe of Invulnerability
Guards and Wards
Heal
Move Earth
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
Programmed Illusion
True Seeing
Wall of Ice

7th level
Create Magen
Delayed Blast Fireball
Forcecage
Plane Shift
Prismatic Spray
Regenerate
Resurrection
Reverse Gravity
Simulacrum
Symbol
Teleport

8th level
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
Antimagic Field
Clone
Control Weather
Demiplane
Earthquake
Mighty Fortress

9th level
Gate
Mass Heal
Meteor Swarm
Prismatic Wall
Time Stop
True Resurrection

stoutstien
2022-01-04, 04:52 AM
The problem is I just don't think it would be enough design space after slapping full casting on it that would make it feel that much different. so it doesn't just turn into a lame wizard tribute it probably need to be more closely modeled after the warlocks progression to leave some space.

Sigreid
2022-01-04, 08:11 AM
I don't think they need it. They can make magic items which presumably includes scrolls and their level 14 ability lets them ignore all class, race, spell, and level requirements for using or attuning a magic item.

That sounds to me like if they get the formulas, they can create and use scrolls for any spell in the game. That's an immense benefit.

RSP
2022-01-04, 08:27 AM
Wizard is already generally thought of as a top tier class so I imagine you wouldn’t want to surpass that in terms of keeping the Artificer within current power range.

So, minus spellcasting, the Wizard has Arcane Recovery and Ritual Caster until 18.

What features of the Artificer equal AR and RC? Keep those and toss the rest. This should get you a full caster that is about the power level of the Wizard (assuming subclass abilities equal out, though Artificer subclasses may be too reliant on the base class to cut to have it be 1-for-1).

Pildion
2022-01-04, 09:22 AM
Hmm, to make the Artificer a full caster they would need to lose class features. Well that or be OP as hell haha, I guess I would start with the infusions.

The infusions just crating magical items, and very good ones is the main reason IMO why the Artificer is only a half caster. You can just have amulets of health, belts of giant strength, winged boots, rings/cloaks of protection.

The second thing I think would need to go is the Spell-Storing Item. Giving someone else a full 10 charge 2lvl spell item like this each day is the other reason Artificer is a half caster. It may seem like a 2lvl spell isn't much, but the fact you can give it to any martial in the group and just have them casting Web every fight, or Faerie Fire, or just look up TSAR's haha.

With both of these features gone, I think the sub class stuff would be fine, then allowing them to go full caster. The Battlesmith / Armorer would basically just be a Hexblade, The Artillerist would be like a Evocation wizard that uses magic items over spell book.

Joe the Rat
2022-01-04, 11:46 AM
You'd really need to take the artificer class features to zero, then fit them in to better match the power you see with other full caster classes. I almost think you'd need to back into it from another class. Take the Bard features progression, then slot in elements that are comparable or appropriate. I think you might end up losing some magic item specialty aspects.

My initial thought was to instead make (or return to the idea of) an Artifice Wizard School - but that basically turns into swapping school features for infusions, and losing everything truly unique about Artificer.
Hmm, I may come back to that idea later.

6th level
Arcane Gate
Chain Lightning
Contingency
Create Homunculus
Globe of Invulnerability
Guards and Wards
Heal
Move Earth
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
Programmed Illusion
True Seeing
Wall of Ice

7th level
Create Magen
Delayed Blast Fireball
Forcecage
Plane Shift
Prismatic Spray
Regenerate
Resurrection
Reverse Gravity
Simulacrum
Symbol
Teleport

8th level
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
Antimagic Field
Clone
Control Weather
Demiplane
Earthquake
Mighty Fortress

9th level
Gate
Mass Heal
Meteor Swarm
Prismatic Wall
Time Stop
True Resurrection
This is a pretty good list - these feel solidly "device-y". Given the inclusion of the greater travel spells, adding Teleportation Circle to the existing options would fit nicely with this. But I also tend to think most of the spells that require substantial constructs in casting ought to be here too.

Ganryu
2022-01-04, 12:18 PM
I'd say make them 2/3, or pact caster. Full spell progression, but limited number of spells due to their progression. Warlocks get Invocations, Artificers get infusions. Would work out fairly similarly. Would still be strong, so I'd say nix their spell storing items possibly as a power trade off... but don't honestly feel they would be too strong, even then.

Psyren
2022-01-04, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the ideas so far!

The Artificer is already full of features, and good ones. Meaning that if you put it as a full spellcaster without axing some part of it, you will obtain a class both much more complex and much stronger than the others.

The easiest is probably to axe everything related to infusions, it might not be enough to tone it down, but it's a good start. If you really like some of the infusion, you could additionally axe some significant parts of the subclass and replace them by some of the infusions specific to the subclass (and much less numerous).

The artifice is more of a power source than a single class. I would follow the same pattern as "nature" that has three classes (barbarian, ranger and druid). The "caster" class can be spoiled of armor and most combat abilities while the armorer could be a model of the more martial one.

Creating magic items should be the purest from of artifice though, so stripping infusions from the "caster" class feels bad thematically.

The problem is I just don't think it would be enough design space after slapping full casting on it that would make it feel that much different. so it doesn't just turn into a lame wizard tribute it probably need to be more closely modeled after the warlocks progression to leave some space.

I agree stripping out infusions would be the most straightforward way to offset the added power from high-level spells. But as Rad mentioned, infusions also feel pretty iconic to the class fantasy/identity, so personally I'd like to keep them in even if they have to be reduced in some way (e.g. we have more raw ammunition now so maybe we can remove Spell-Storing?)

I had two primary ideas for limiting the class that would offset the addition of these spells, as well as keep the Neo-Artificer from feeling like Wizard 2.0:

1) Stoutstien's idea of making their higher slots closer to the Warlock progression. I wouldn't want them to use Pact Slots (that impacts their "Macgyver/toolbox" class fantasy), but perhaps the higher level slots could be limited to 1/level/LR the way Mystic Arcanum are. That would give them less ammunition than a wizard, which the infusions and subclass features would offset.

2) Rather than removing infusions, the Neo-Artificer could lose its bonus attunements. This would lower their power considerably relative to other classes even as the access to higher-level spells raises it. Now they can still make temporary magic items, but must spread those around the party even more (buffing everyone) since they can't attune to any more of what they make than anyone else in the group.

These approaches could also be combined.

Let's look at some spells that might work.

Fantastic list! I love the vast majority of these, so I'll focus just on the handful I wasn't as crazy about.

- I'm hesitant about Resurrection / True Resurrection. I know they get Revivify as a kind of defibrillator / resuscitator and I think that + Clone should be the extent of their dead-raising abilities. I'd leave the Cleric as the master of that particular niche, with the Artificer able to access those two limited versions in a pinch.

- Simulacrum I love for them thematically, but we'd have to be very careful how that interacts with Infusions. Doubling the items you're able to give out to the party is a bit much for one spell slot. Even forcing them to only have access to the same infusions you have prepared might not be enough to keep this in check. So while this is definitely on-brand, I might consider removing it for balance reasons.

- As we get higher up we get increased overlap with the wizard list. That's unavoidable in some respects as there are fewer spells available to include on a list this high up but I'd still identify a short list of "maybe" spells that could be axed. Stuff like Symbol, Move Earth, Control Weather, and Gate could certainly be justified on an artificer, but removing them would definitely help them feel more distinct from a Wizard.

- Agree with adding Teleportation Circle to go with the Arcane Gates as wormhole devices. I'd also like to add Foresight as a kind of heads-up display.

kaervaak
2022-01-04, 02:01 PM
I feel like a mystic arcanum style system where the artificer can make single use magic items that replicate high level spells might be the best way to expand their spell casting. Give them full caster progression up to level 10, then swap them to magical item based arcanum casting.

Replace spell storing item with Create Wonder: At level 11 you have learned to tap into the fundamental powers of the weave with your artifice allowing you to bend reality to your will. After you complete a long rest, you can touch an item that bears one of your infusions or is a spell casting focus for your artificer spells and imbue it with magical power. Choose a 6th level spell from the artificer spell list to infuse into the item. If the spell requires a material component with a gold cost, it must be supplied during the infusing process. While holding that item, you can spend an action to cast the stored spell without components. At 13th, 15th, and 17th level you may create an additional wonder infused with a 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell respectively.

To compensate for the extra power, we'd need to remove some low level class features. Pushing out the 5th level features to 9 and the 9th level features to 15 probably makes the most sense, though waiting until 9th level to get extra attack is weird and kind of crappy for battlesmith and armorer. Other full casters get extra attack at 6, so maybe just model it off of that?

stoutstien
2022-01-04, 05:01 PM
Personally I dislike that all casters basically have the same progression and resource pool. I've modified Artificer to be fully prepared casters in the fashion that wizards used to be and give them the spell point variant rule instead of using spell slots. Can cannibalize any of those prepared spells to cast their subclass spell list. Using that you could easily expand spell level excess with the point limit keeping in check.

kingcheesepants
2022-01-05, 01:47 AM
Fantastic list! I love the vast majority of these, so I'll focus just on the handful I wasn't as crazy about.

- I'm hesitant about Resurrection / True Resurrection. I know they get Revivify as a kind of defibrillator / resuscitator and I think that + Clone should be the extent of their dead-raising abilities. I'd leave the Cleric as the master of that particular niche, with the Artificer able to access those two limited versions in a pinch.

- Simulacrum I love for them thematically, but we'd have to be very careful how that interacts with Infusions. Doubling the items you're able to give out to the party is a bit much for one spell slot. Even forcing them to only have access to the same infusions you have prepared might not be enough to keep this in check. So while this is definitely on-brand, I might consider removing it for balance reasons.

- As we get higher up we get increased overlap with the wizard list. That's unavoidable in some respects as there are fewer spells available to include on a list this high up but I'd still identify a short list of "maybe" spells that could be axed. Stuff like Symbol, Move Earth, Control Weather, and Gate could certainly be justified on an artificer, but removing them would definitely help them feel more distinct from a Wizard.

- Agree with adding Teleportation Circle to go with the Arcane Gates as wormhole devices. I'd also like to add Foresight as a kind of heads-up display.

I can definitely see your point regarding Res/True Res I added them in there because they have Revivify but I think you're right that more advanced forms of resurrection don't quite fit the vibe.

Simulacrum is an unbalanced and frankly overpowered spell no matter who has access to it. If you're worried about balance then you should probably ban or at least severely nerf it. If you don't think that it's too strong then I'd say a rule along the lines of its infusions count as though you prepared them might be enough to keep it in the same vicinity as what it is with wizards.

Yeah lots of overlap with wizards, honestly wizards get basically all the high level spells that aren't really distinct for 1 particular class and artificers did start their life as a type of wizard so it's kinda unavoidable. You can definitely shuffle a few of the spells around but I thought that move earth was pretty on theme for someone who builds stuff. Control weather I specifically added cause weather control machines are a staple of mad scientists. Symbol feels right for someone who makes magic items and I can take or leave gate. I think honestly if you wanted a high level full casting Artificer to feel more different from a wizard you'd have to add new unique spells because as it stands at the moment the wizard gets the majority of the high level stuff except for healing spells.

I hadn't thought of Foresight like that but it works. Just a little thing that beeps at them whenever danger is incoming, very on brand. I would also add most of the dunamancy and chronomancy spells (I didn't initially cause they're in kind of a weird place where they're more than homebrew but less than official.).

Pildion
2022-01-05, 09:00 AM
I think Stoutstien is right with following the Warlock path over Wizard, and Ganryu hit the nail on the head with using a Mystic Arcanum like magic item for the higher level spells. In going this route your basically just giving the Artificer the Mystic Arcanum feature of the warlock, but that is still super powerful. That is, if you consider a normal 5th level caster equal to the Warlocks Pact Magic.

Even with going the 2/3 caster route, you still have to much if your going with Infusions + Spell Storing Item + attunment slots. So what should the Artificer give up to get Mystic Arcanum? I guess that's what it comes down to. Now if we get rid of the extra attunment slots we then also need to look at the Artificer's 10th, 14th, and 18th and Capstone class features. I think getting rid of the Spell Storing Item is the easiest, but I also don't think that is enough to warrant getting Mystic Arcanum.

So, I think that leaves us with getting rid of the extra attunments and redoing all the class features, or just ditching the Infusions. The easier answer of course is the Infusions, but I can see them as almost the class defining feature. So if we wanted to keep the Infusions and ditch the extra attunment slots what do you guys think would work for the class features on those levels? Still thinking about it myself.

king_steve
2022-01-05, 06:22 PM
In the Exploring Eberron book (by Keith Baker https://www.dmsguild.com/product/315887/Exploring-Eberron the author of Eberron for context), they have an artificer subclass that leans into spellcasting called the Maverick.

Its more unique feature is 'Arcane Breakthroughs' that let it learn spells from other classes spell lists (but count as Artificer spells and use intelligence). They don't have added spells like other artificer subclasses, the 'breakthrough' lists are their version of bonus spells. At level 9 feature 'Superior Breakthroughs' adds +2 to the spell level when casting those breakthrough spells a limited number of times per day. At 15 the 'Final Breakthrough' feature gives them 1 extra slot per level they can cast. They also get a few other features like a bonus cantrip, a feature that is kinda like the all-purpose tool from Tashas and the ability to swap 1 prepared artificer spell for another artificer spell once per rest.

I think this subclass is a pretty interesting approach to an artificer that is leaning into spell casting. It beefs up their casting some and it almost makes them feel like a 2/3 caster instead of a 1/2 (rounded up) caster.

MrStabby
2022-01-05, 06:38 PM
Honestly, I don't think it would be simultaniously possible to have an artificer that feels unique, is full-casting and is remotely balanced.

If we keep it an Int based caster then you are pretty much stripping it down to a wizard level. Then you need to take off a bit more if you want to keep Con save proficiency. More still if you don't want to be as squshy as a wizard...

With that in mind I would aim to make the core of the class pretty much as bad as possible just to give space to the other abilities.

1) Saves are Int and Dex (probably weakest par of strong/weak saves).
2) Spells are spells known and can't be changed and they are even tighter than the sorcerer.
3) Trimmed down spell list and more spells linked to subclass to make the arificer more specialised.

Spell list from level 6 would be something like:
6)
Blade Barrier
Guards and Wards
Bones of the earth

7)
Firestorm
Regenerate
Teleport

8)
Antimagic Field
Telepathy
Incendiary Cloud

9)
Time Stop
Invulnerability
Astral Projection

With this, I think there could still be some good space for a bit of infusions and some exra attunement slots - albeit you would have to lose some things like flash of genius and spell storing item.

pwykersotz
2022-01-05, 08:11 PM
If I were to play a full caster Artificer, I'd just use the Artificer Wizard subclass from the very first Unearthed Arcana (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-eberron). It would be way easier to re-balance that if there's a problem than to try to re-balance the Artificer class for higher level spells.

Aalbatr0ss
2022-01-05, 11:18 PM
Interesting discussion. What do you think about a full progression caster with access to infusions, but the infusions tie up spell/preparation slots?

Maybe you can make a legendary item that ties up an 8th level slot? Or one of the current 6th level infusion for a 2nd level slot.

Some thought would be needed on the balance / levels. But it would solve the problem of artificers being worth less in a high magic campaign. If you’re awash in magic items and the party doesn’t really need them, you can back off infusions and function as a full caster. But you have the ability to power down and make items proportional to party needs.

There’s a lot of little directions this could go. I like the proposed spell lists above. The appeal would be a versatile class with potential access to more / higher level spells. And you could fit the existing subclasses into this framework by assigning cost to the class features and making them options.

MoiMagnus
2022-01-06, 10:44 AM
Let's give a try:

Spells:

Artificer is now a "spell known" class
Follow the Sorcerer progression for Cantrips/Spell known/Spell slots
Like Tasha's sorcerer subclass, subclasses come with additional spells known, except that those cannot be retrained.
However, infusions will cost spell known and spell slots
Spell-list from kingcheesepants above

Infusions:
Infusions are now considered "spells" exclusive to the Artificer, and available only starting at level 2. They are spells of level 1 (for the level 2 infusions), level 3 (for the level 6 infusions), level 5 (for the level 10 infusions, including the upgraded versions of the level 6 infusions) and level 7 (for the level 14 infusions).
It costs a spell slot to infuse an object, and the infusion last up until the spell slot spent is refreshed (so up until your next long rest). [or up until ModInt days after your death]. You can maintain a number of infusions at once equal to your proficiency bonus.
NB: if you feel like it, you can go through the list of infusion and postpone the stronger ones to spell level 2/4/6/8.

Class Features
Armour proficiency: Light armour only
Save proficiency: Int and Dex
Weapons/Tools/Skills/HP: unchanged from Tasha's Artificer
Level 1 Features:
Spellcasting: see above
Magical Thinkering: unchanged from Tasha's Artificer
Artificer Specialist: you chose a specialisation at level 1, and immediately get:

Alchemist: Alchemist supplies proficiency, plus the Alchemist spells as spell known
Armourer: Smith's tool proficiency, Medium armour proficiency and shield (not Heavy), plus Armourer spells as spell known
Artillerist: Woodcarver's tool proficiency, plus Artillerist spells as spell known
Battlesmith: Smith's tool proficiency, Martial weapons proficiency, plus Battlesmith's spells as spell known

Level 2 Features:
Infusions: see above
Level 3 Features:
The Right Tool for the Job: unchanged from Tasha
Artificer Specialist's feature, whatever is in Tasha at level 3 but was listed above as being level 1.
NB: Armourer still doesn't get Heavy armour, and cannot ignore Str prerequisites
NB: Battlesmith only learn how to attack with weapons using Int at level 3
Level 6 Features:
Artificer Specialist's feature (the one listed at level 5 in Tasha)
NB: For example, the Battlesmith now gets "Extra Attacks" at the same times as the Valor Bard
NB: Tool Expertise is removed
NB: Flash of Genius (level 7) is postponed
Level 10 Features:
Artificer Specialist's feature (the one listed at level 9 in Tasha)
NB: Magic Item Adept is postponed
NB: Spell Storing Item (level 11) is removed
Level 14 Feature:
Artificer Specialist's feature (the one listed at level 15 in Tasha)
NB: Magic Item Savant is postponed
Level 18 Feature:
Flash of Genius (the one listed at level 7 in Tasha)
NB: Magic Item Master is postponed
Level 20 Feature:
Magic item Adept/Savant/Master: all of them merged into one
NB: Soul of Artifice is removed

PS: Why did anyone though it was a good idea to the "spell level" be called "spell level" and not match character level? How hard is it to have a new word for it, like "spell circle" or "spell rank" or whatever.

Psyren
2022-01-07, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the additional great contributions!

I feel like a mystic arcanum style system where the artificer can make single use magic items that replicate high level spells might be the best way to expand their spell casting. Give them full caster progression up to level 10, then swap them to magical item based arcanum casting.

Replace spell storing item with Create Wonder: At level 11 you have learned to tap into the fundamental powers of the weave with your artifice allowing you to bend reality to your will. After you complete a long rest, you can touch an item that bears one of your infusions or is a spell casting focus for your artificer spells and imbue it with magical power. Choose a 6th level spell from the artificer spell list to infuse into the item. If the spell requires a material component with a gold cost, it must be supplied during the infusing process. While holding that item, you can spend an action to cast the stored spell without components. At 13th, 15th, and 17th level you may create an additional wonder infused with a 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell respectively.

If they were to get single-use Mystic Fabulous Arcanum style "slots" that can't be used for upcasting* then I agree that single-use contraptions or otherwise intricate wonders would be a decent fluff justification.

I do however disagree with needing to pay the component during preparation, no other caster has to do that. Just keep their casting mechanic identical to how other spellcasters work, they need the component to activate/power the device (i.e. at the moment of casting), there's no reason to complicate it.

*I wouldn't mind an exception for Summon Construct, they should be able to upcast that all the way, but only if that's not too much of a headache to include

To compensate for the extra power, we'd need to remove some low level class features. Pushing out the 5th level features to 9 and the 9th level features to 15 probably makes the most sense, though waiting until 9th level to get extra attack is weird and kind of crappy for battlesmith and armorer. Other full casters get extra attack at 6, so maybe just model it off of that?

Personally I think removing their extra attunements and having a worse spell list (e.g. no Wish) is all you'd need to keep them from being Wizard+. But I can also see how extra attack at L5 + 9th-level spells puts them out of step with the other full casters, so I could see pushing out the subclass features a bit too.

Simulacrum is an unbalanced and frankly overpowered spell no matter who has access to it. If you're worried about balance then you should probably ban or at least severely nerf it. If you don't think that it's too strong then I'd say a rule along the lines of its infusions count as though you prepared them might be enough to keep it in the same vicinity as what it is with wizards.

While that's true, it'd be a much bigger force multiplier in this instance. For spells for example, a simulacrum can't regain spell slots and it only lets you concentrate on an additional spell at a time - that perhaps isn't enough to keep it fully in check but it's something. Infusions meanwhile aren't subject to either limit.

I agree with your other comments.

That is, if you consider a normal 5th level caster equal to the Warlocks Pact Magic.

I would say so, especially with Infusions (which I view as stronger than Invocations) factored in.

Even with going the 2/3 caster route, you still have to much if your going with Infusions + Spell Storing Item + attunment slots. So what should the Artificer give up to get Mystic Arcanum? I guess that's what it comes down to. Now if we get rid of the extra attunment slots we then also need to look at the Artificer's 10th, 14th, and 18th and Capstone class features. I think getting rid of the Spell Storing Item is the easiest, but I also don't think that is enough to warrant getting Mystic Arcanum.

So, I think that leaves us with getting rid of the extra attunments and redoing all the class features, or just ditching the Infusions. The easier answer of course is the Infusions, but I can see them as almost the class defining feature. So if we wanted to keep the Infusions and ditch the extra attunment slots what do you guys think would work for the class features on those levels? Still thinking about it myself.

As above I think Infusions are essential to the class identity, much like Bardic Inspiration and Invocations are essential to the identity of those full casters. Reduced attunements force them to spread those around the party which makes everyone stronger and helps mitigate any spikes.

For the milestones you listed I would do the following (in addition to reworking the levels you get them):

- Magic Item Adept - I'd remove this entirely, crafting stuff is still entirely the province of the DM so I'd say in most campaigns this feature does nothing beyond the attunement slot. Not sure what I'd replace it with yet, probably Magic Item Savant minus the attunement slot.

- Spell-Storing Item - this is of course where the "Fabulous Arcanum" feature and first slot would go instead, so this gets chopped entirely.

- Magic Item Savant/Master - replace with more Fabulous Arcanums (13, 15, 17).

- Soul of Artifice - unchanged, which of course makes it weaker (+3 instead of +6) but the increased casting more than makes up for that.

In the Exploring Eberron book (by Keith Baker https://www.dmsguild.com/product/315887/Exploring-Eberron the author of Eberron for context), they have an artificer subclass that leans into spellcasting called the Maverick.

Its more unique feature is 'Arcane Breakthroughs' that let it learn spells from other classes spell lists (but count as Artificer spells and use intelligence). They don't have added spells like other artificer subclasses, the 'breakthrough' lists are their version of bonus spells. At level 9 feature 'Superior Breakthroughs' adds +2 to the spell level when casting those breakthrough spells a limited number of times per day. At 15 the 'Final Breakthrough' feature gives them 1 extra slot per level they can cast. They also get a few other features like a bonus cantrip, a feature that is kinda like the all-purpose tool from Tashas and the ability to swap 1 prepared artificer spell for another artificer spell once per rest.

I think this subclass is a pretty interesting approach to an artificer that is leaning into spell casting. It beefs up their casting some and it almost makes them feel like a 2/3 caster instead of a 1/2 (rounded up) caster.

Interesting, I'll look into this.

If I were to play a full caster Artificer, I'd just use the Artificer Wizard subclass from the very first Unearthed Arcana (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-eberron). It would be way easier to re-balance that if there's a problem than to try to re-balance the Artificer class for higher level spells.

Thanks for that, great find. I could definitely see "Wizard with some artifice" as a decent alternative.

@MoiMagnus / MrStabby / Aalbatr0ss: I'll respond to your ideas when I have a bit more time.