PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I am the only one who doesn't enjoy the game.

Sir-Carlos
2022-01-05, 06:57 AM
So, our DM wanted to play a Dark Heresy game with us. I was pretty excited, because I am a big Warhammer 40k fan. We started the game some Time ago, and there the problems started. It is a very mystery-heavy campaign and system. But I don't really enjoy it. Almost everyone we spoke with, turned out to be evil. Every witness we find gets killed by some mysterious killers.Then, we learn that the entire planet and all authorities on it, are corrupted. (it is a hive-world with 2 billion inhabitants, while we are acolytes of the lowest rank.) We go from questioning to questioning and it just drags on. I found myself itching for combat, and just started shooting the suspects, because every proof we found was destroyed. But that lead to some chaos. I realized that I was derailing the campaign, and disrespecting the DMs work. I feel bad about that and I told my DM as much.

So I asked the other players if they enjoyed the game and the system. And they all said yes, without questions. So it seems, that I am the problem here. I am not enjoying the game and don't want to play anymore. But the DM put a lot of work into it, and he was super excited for it. Plus, he's my brother, and I know that it won't be good for his self-confidence if I, of all people, drop out of the game. any thoughts?

Yora
2022-01-05, 07:21 AM
Are you asking for our permission to not play in this campaign?

You are allowed to not play in this campaign.

DeTess
2022-01-05, 07:27 AM
If you don't want to drop out, share what you've shared here with your DM. Things won't get better if your DM isn't aware that you're having issues.

mucat
2022-01-05, 11:48 AM
Plus, he's my brother, and I know that it won't be good for his self-confidence if I, of all people, drop out of the game. any thoughts?
Will it be good his self-confidence if you, of all people, keep "derailing the campaign and disrespecting his work"? Not to mention that you're in danger of ruining the game for the players who are enjoying the campaign, which will further impact your DM's confidence because now nobody is having much fun.

Since you call him "our DM", this is presumably not the first campaign he's run, and since you were looking forward to this one, presumably you enjoyed the others. So make sure he knows that you appreciate his work and his DM skills, while you respectfully step back from this specific campaign

kyoryu
2022-01-05, 12:22 PM
You don't have to play in games you don't want to.

Realistically, your choices are:

1. Figure out some way to enjoy the game. If the GM isn't willing to introduce more elements you care about, see if you can think of it as something not-quite-an-RPG that maybe you can have fun with.

2. Quit the game. If you do so, make sure you frame it not as "your game is bad" but "your game is very good at these things, but unfortunately, those are not the things I'm really looking for in an RPG."

People like different things, and that's okay. You not liking this style of game doesn't mean he's running it poorly. If you didn't like chocolate ice cream, it wouldn't matter how good the chocolate ice cream is - it's still freaking chocolate ice cream and you just don't like chocolate ice cream.

Sir-Carlos
2022-01-05, 12:35 PM
Will it be good his self-confidence if you, of all people, keep "derailing the campaign and disrespecting his work"? Not to mention that you're in danger of ruining the game for the players who are enjoying the campaign, which will further impact your DM's confidence because now nobody is having much fun.

Since you call him "our DM", this is presumably not the first campaign he's run, and since you were looking forward to this one, presumably you enjoyed the others. So make sure he knows that you appreciate his work and his DM skills, while you respectfully step back from this specific campaign

That is some good advice, thanks :-). Yeah, I realized what I was doing and already apologized to him. Thankfully, I only derailed one session. I will talk to him later and step back from this campaign.

Sir-Carlos
2022-01-05, 12:36 PM
You don't have to play in games you don't want to.

Realistically, your choices are:

1. Figure out some way to enjoy the game. If the GM isn't willing to introduce more elements you care about, see if you can think of it as something not-quite-an-RPG that maybe you can have fun with.

2. Quit the game. If you do so, make sure you frame it not as "your game is bad" but "your game is very good at these things, but unfortunately, those are not the things I'm really looking for in an RPG."

People like different things, and that's okay. You not liking this style of game doesn't mean he's running it poorly. If you didn't like chocolate ice cream, it wouldn't matter how good the chocolate ice cream is - it's still freaking chocolate ice cream and you just don't like chocolate ice cream.

thank you for the advice. That is very helpful :-)

Quertus
2022-01-05, 05:29 PM
This is why I say that one should be prepared to defend their own fun. Or, well, you did that, and it went against the fun of others. Which is why it’s important to be able to create your own fun that doesn’t harm the fun of others.

For example, in that scenario? I might have my character “fall in love with” a different witness (or the suspect) every infatuation investigation. Every romance would, of course, be doomed to failure. Maybe go super crazy, and actually have a Vegas wedding with each, so I’d soon be on my 25th wife. Maybe even, “when it’s the real thing”, get her eggs into a incubatorium, and raise our son/daughter/attack helicopter as a single parent. That’s what I’d want out of a piece of my share of spotlight time. Maybe my “investigations” would occur over candlelight dinners of taco meat substitute, substitute. Maybe the GM will add in cool, thematic moments, and the hit on the witness would occur as she’s going down the isle, initiated by her “father” there unexpectedly, and unwilling to give her away. Or maybe I’ll have to do it all myself.

Point is, IMO, it’s best to find a source of fun that a) you can add with virtually no investment from others; b) that isn’t subtractive to the fun of others (like your murder spree was). Additive, not disruptive.

Mastikator
2022-01-05, 08:53 PM
Don't stay because you feel guilty for not enjoy the DM's work, the game will go on without you. And if you're worrying about FOMO just start your own group with the players and DM, with you as the DM and a game that you wished you had been a part of.

Faily
2022-01-06, 10:02 AM
"Hey, so I wanted to let you know that you've been running a very cool game so far, but I'm realising that it's not something that fits me well. And I don't want to detract from the story you're invested in and have put a lot of work into, as you might've noticed that I've been having a hard time with finding my groove in the story. So I think it's better that I step back for now so that you and the others can focus on having fun, without me bringing the mood down. But I like playing with all of you, so I would be more than happy to join the next game with you guys."

I have said something like that on a couple of occassions when I've found that a game doesn't jive with me. First time I did it was kind of awkward since it was with the group my partner had played with for years, but everyone was understanding that I wasn't having a good time in the game and I joined in again for the next campaign.

King of Nowhere
2022-01-07, 04:11 PM
Almost everyone we spoke with, turned out to be evil. Every witness we find gets killed by some mysterious killers.Then, we learn that the entire planet and all authorities on it, are corrupted.

from what i know, seems perfectly in line with the WH40k universe :smalltongue:

Mr Beer
2022-01-10, 11:04 PM
2 billion people on a Hive planet? That's a Hive municipality not a whole planet. Really need trillions for a proper Hive.

Angelmaker
2022-02-02, 07:21 PM
2 billion people on a Hive planet? That's a Hive municipality not a whole planet. Really need trillions for a proper Hive.

No individual hive world in the emperium of mankind houses trillions of humans. Billions is the correct amount of people for a hive world and how many it can sustain depends on its size. A hiveworld the size of the earth's moon with 2 billion inhabitants sounds about right. Trillions of people exist in w40k, that is correct, but divided across the thousands and thousands of death worlds, hive worlds, aggri worlds, space stations, and so on.

Necromunda, one of the largest hiveworlds (largest known to me) houses a hundred billion at an absolute maximum according to the highest estimates i can find. I don't think you can get much larger than that.

Angelmaker
2022-02-02, 07:32 PM
from what i know, seems perfectly in line with the WH40k universe :smalltongue:

Sure, but I eould find it also incredibly frustrating to never get anywhere with my investigations. If for some reason the officio assassinorum decided to just always kill my marks without leading any traces to follow, then why are we playing this game? What impact do the players have? If everything on this planet has been corrupted, maybe its just time to call in the exterminatus.