PDA

View Full Version : Artisan's blessing: a clarification needed.

dehro
2022-01-06, 08:28 AM
The level 2 ability of the forge cleric reads has a final sentence that reads as follows:

"The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual."

So.. by RAW, the item you are duplicating has to be nonmagical.
Is this also RAI?
By which I mean.. could I make a non magical copy of a magical item? RAW clearly excludes this, but common sense would argue that as long as you see the item and know it's physical properties, you should be able to reproduce those, like if it was a non magical item.

Azara5
2022-01-06, 09:52 AM
Yes, you could. Although, the only use I could see for this is if you were trying to scam someone with a fake and try to convince them that it’s the original.

Burley
2022-01-06, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I'd say it's okay, depending on the item being copied.

Like, if you wanted to copy a Flametongue, it'd immediately be apparent that the copy is not magical and you just made a sword.

I'm trying to think of specific cases where I (as DM) would say "No, you can't copy that magical item." I think my ruling would be:

"Yes, you can copy it, but you won't fool anybody. It's immediately apparent to anybody who interacts with or has the object in their possession that this is not a magical object."

dehro
2022-01-06, 02:36 PM
Yes, you could. Although, the only use I could see for this is if you were trying to scam someone with a fake and try to convince them that it’s the original.

:smallbiggrin: this

Sigreid
2022-01-06, 03:02 PM
I'm going to buck the trend. If I'm DMing, the magic of a magic item will interfere with the ritual and you can't copy it.

Burley
2022-01-07, 07:47 AM
I'm going to buck the trend. If I'm DMing, the magic of a magic item will interfere with the ritual and you can't copy it.
I like your answer and I think, if I were to lore up some magic rules, I'd include stuff about overlapping magic fields messing with each other and stuff like that.
I'm gonna play "Player's Advocate" here: "What if I have the magic item near me and I make an object that looks like it, but I'm not copying it? It's just there for me to look at as I'm not copying a sword that looks like the Flametongue."

Sigreid
2022-01-07, 09:29 AM
I like your answer and I think, if I were to lore up some magic rules, I'd include stuff about overlapping magic fields messing with each other and stuff like that.
I'm gonna play "Player's Advocate" here: "What if I have the magic item near me and I make an object that looks like it, but I'm not copying it? It's just there for me to look at as I'm not copying a sword that looks like the Flametongue."

I'd consider that fair but require a roll of some kind to determine the level of match of the detail.