PDA

View Full Version : Roll20 has a new "target" entry in its spell descriptions

diplomancer
2022-01-06, 11:43 AM
I've only just noticed that, and I'm pretty sure it's new. I suppose it will be officially implemented soon, which is very good, as it will lay to rest many arguments about targeting.

Edit: Seems like I spoke too soon. Smite spells get a "-" on their targetting line. Whatever that's supposed to mean. And Spiritual Weapon get's a "see text"!

JackPhoenix
2022-01-06, 11:55 AM
It's been there for a while. I always thought it's a leftover from whatever they based the spell template on, propably one of the older editions.

diplomancer
2022-01-06, 12:08 PM
It's been there for a while. I always thought it's a leftover from whatever they based the spell template on, propably one of the older editions.

I did check Wayback Machine, though, and it definitely wasn't there a year ago, so it can't be that explanation.

JackPhoenix
2022-01-06, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty sure I was ignoring that line when filling sheets when I was starting my current game, which was over a year ago. But it any case, it doesn't mean anything, Roll20 is not afflicted with WotC in any way, and do their own thing.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-01-06, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty sure I was ignoring that line when filling sheets when I was starting my current game, which was over a year ago. But it any case, it doesn't mean anything, Roll20 is not afflicted with WotC in any way, and do their own thing.

And even the ones that have a license (ie D&D Beyond) frequently reformat things and flat out get things wrong.

diplomancer
2022-01-06, 12:49 PM

In that case, I may have read more into it than what's actually there. What with just noticing that and the upcoming updated books, I thought for a moment that Roll20 had "jumped the gun".

JackPhoenix
2022-01-06, 02:23 PM
In that case, I may have read more into it than what's actually there. What with just noticing that and the upcoming updated books, I thought for a moment that Roll20 had "jumped the gun".

There may have been some misunderstanding on my part. I was talking about spell template on character sheets, while you were talking about compendium. Target line is indeed new in compendium, but I think the reason for that may be to fill the target line that was on the sheet for a while.