PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Using 3.5/PF1 Carrying Capacity Rules to inspire modification to improve 5e rules

Segev
2022-01-06, 12:13 PM
It has come up at least a few times that 5e's rules for carrying capacity are kind-of laughable. A Storm Giant's carrying capacity is 29x15x4 = 1,740 lbs, with the ability to drag 3,480. When you consider that that means he could not even drag a parked Ford F-150 (minimum weight: 4,021 lbs.), that puts in perspective how low that amount is for a creature his size. A kraken, at 30 strength and Gargantuan size, could carry 3,600 lbs. and drag 7,200 lbs., meaning its massive tentacles could not lift that Ford F-150, and would have to drag it across the docks, lumbering at 5 ft. per round to do so.

The Pathfinder (and 3.5) carrying capacity rules (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alignment-description/carrying-capacity/#TOC-Table-Carrying-Capacity) used a table that was actually a little less forgiving at up to 20 strength (with a light load being 133 lbs., vs. a 5e character having a carrying capacity of 300 lbs. In contrast, 300 lbs. would be in the middle of the Heavy Load range for a 20 strength PF1 character, who maxed out at 400 lbs. maximum lift). The PF1 table begins to stretch out from there, however, eventually having a 29 strength character's light load (the amount he can carry unencumbered) hit 466 lbs. (and a maximum carry weight with a heavy load all the way up at 1,400 lbs.), vs. a 5e (medium) creature capping out at 450 lbs. absolute maximum carry capacity. 5e and 3.PF share the same multiplier for size, so a Huge 29 Strength giant in PF1 would have had a light load of 1,864 lbs. vs. the maximum carry capacity of a 50 29 Strength Storm Giant being 1,740. That might seem like a minor difference, but remember this is the LIGHT 3.PF load vs. the MAXIMUM 5e carry capacity.

Now, you might note that the 5e rules have you entirely unencumbered all the way up to that maximum carrying capacity, so having the unencumbered carry weight and the 5e maximum weight be the two compared is fair. Except that if you use the optional encumbrance rules, 5e tells you that the maximum weight is unchanged: that is your heavy load.

At lower Strengths, the formula of Strength x15 is actually pretty generous compared to the 3.PF table. A 3.PF strength 10 character had a maximum heavy load of 100 lbs., and a light load of a mere 33 lbs., whereas a 5e 10 Strength character has a maximum load of 150 lbs, and even with the optional encumbrance rules has an unencumbered carrying capacity of 50 lbs., which is still better than the 3.PF equivalent creature.

And making a table that is as fiddly as 3.PF used is antithetical to 5e's design.

Proposal 1: Optional Encumbrance Rules Increase Maximum Loads
The existing 5e optional encumbrance rules make you encumbered past x5 strength and heavily encumbered past x10 strength, leaving your maximum carry load at x15. It's a straight-up nerf to vanilla 5e carrying capacity.

I propose changing that around so that up to Strength x15 remains what it is - unencumbered carrying capacity - but let you be encumbered (dropping your speed by 10 feet, and potentially cancelling things like the stuff monks need to be unarmored to benefit from) up to Strength x30, and heavily encumbered (dropping speed by 20 and giving disadvantage on physical ability checks, attacks, and saves) at up to Strength x45.

This is not 100% identical to the Strength table at 30+ in 3.5, but it's actually very close.

As an examination, the Storm Giant is now still unencumbered up to 1,740 lbs., is encumbered up to 3,480 lbs., and can lift up to 5,220 lbs. This still means he's heavily encumbered lifting that Ford F-150, which is actually probably fair; it's a big chunk of metal about 1/3 his height and awkwardly sized and shaped.

The kraken is unencumbered up to 3,600 lbs., and is only encumbered lifting up to 7,200 lbs., which means it can pick up that Ford F-150 and barely slow down. It is heavily encumbered up to 14,400 lbs. This is actually still pretty unsatisfying, considering that ships are measured in tens of tons of weight at a general minimum, but there's only so much we can do (and, also, the Siege Monster trait means the kraken can rip one apart appropriately even if it can't pick one up and carry it around like a kid with a toy boat).

On the lower end, this does mean that a Strength 10 character can carry, heavily encumbered, up to 450 lbs., which might seem excessive for the average elf or halfling. But I personally think erring on the side of heroically staggering about is not unfitting for D&D.

Proposal 2: Athletics Adds to Strength, and Strength(Athletics) to Increase Carrying Capacity
This one's also pretty simple: if you are proficient in Athletics, you can add your proficiency bonus to your Strength score for carrying purposes. Expertise would let you add 2x your proficiency bonus. This isn't going to raise capacities spectacularly - in fact, I am not sure either the Storm Giant nor the Kraken are proficient, let alone double proficient, in Athletics. But it may satisfy at least on the PC scale for that desire to be that much stronger.

Proposal 3: Ability Check to determine carrying capacity for a time
But let's look at Ability Check DCs and consider how those may aid us in an approach to working with carrying capacities. As a reminder, the (underdefined) difficulties are "very easy" at 5, "easy" at 10, "medium" at 15, "hard" at 20, "very hard" at 25, and "almost impossible" at 30. It should be noted that a raw Ability Check with no proficiency added, and a 30 in a stat (29 being the highest strength a PC can reliably get without shapeshifting) has only a 5% chance of making a DC 30 check. This can be pushed higher with enough things stacked on, but it's tricky outside of very narrow check types, none of which are Strength-related. As an additional note, moving an Immovable Rod requires a DC 30 Strength check, and also an Immovable Rod can only support up to 8,000 lbs., which (again) is shockingly low when you start getting into the Huge and Gargantuan size categories.

I propose that carrying weight up to your (unencumbered) carrying capacity (Strength x15 lbs.) for an hour is a Very Easy task. I could try to ballpark what is "medium" and "very hard," but I think we can start here as a basis for making a first pass formula. If carrying your Strength Score x15 for an hour is a DC 5 task, then that would be a unit of [Strength x3] per DC point. That is, it's DC 1 to carry up to thrice your Strength Score, DC 2 to carry up to 6x your Strength, DC 3 up to 9x, DC 4 up to 12x, and DC 5 up to 15x. We can carry that out to say that you can carry up to your Strength x30 lbs. for an hour as a DC 10 check. That's up to double the usual limit as an "Easy" check. A "Medium" check would be 3x the usual limit, a "Hard" check 4x, a "Very Hard" check 5x, and a "Nearly Impossible" check 6x.

This would let the Storm Giant heft 348 lbs. times the value he rolled on the Strength check. 1,740 lbs. with a DC 5. Storm Giants do, it turns out, have +14 to Athletics, so they have a pretty solid chance of making even a DC 20, which would be 6,960 lbs.

Procedure
Generally, assume people can pick up reasonable things and carry them for up to a minute. If there's a question, roll Strength(Athletics) to see if they can heft it; the first check lets them do so for up to a minute. If they fail by 5 or less, they can try again "next round" (or immediately, if rounds aren't important). Otherwise, they need a minute's rest to try again.

After one minute carrying anything that seems burdensome (i.e. that a Very Easy check would be needed to successfully heft), they make another roll. Success means they can keep carrying it for up to an hour before needing to check again. Add the number of hours without at least 10 minutes' rest between them that the creature has been carrying this to the DC. Failure means they have to put it down and rest within the next minute. Failure by 5 or more means they drop it if they can't put it down safely immediately. They need at least 10 minutes' rest to try picking it up again, and the DC goes up by 5 each time they fail this check.

A short rest resets the DC and lets them try again, refreshed.

For streamlining's sake, you can assume that, barring "something interesting" happening, they can carry it for a number of hours between short rests equal to the amount by which they exceed the DC, minimum 1.

Dork_Forge
2022-01-06, 12:31 PM
I'm going to look through this post more carefully later, almost dinner time so not enough time to right now, but this caught my eye:

It has come up at least a few times that 5e's rules for carrying capacity are kind-of laughable. A Storm Giant's carrying capacity is 29x15x4 = 1,740 lbs, with the ability to drag 3,480. When you consider that that means he could not even drag a parked Ford F-150 (minimum weight: 4,021 lbs.), that puts in perspective how low that amount is for a creature his size. A kraken, at 30 strength and Gargantuan size, could carry 3,600 lbs. and drag 7,200 lbs., meaning its massive tentacles could not lift that Ford F-150, and would have to drag it across the docks, lumbering at 5 ft. per round to do so.

The rules are far from perfect, but doesn't this say something about how heavy that pick-up is? I mean D&D is usually medieval-esque fantasy and that's an incredibly heavy (and I imagine large) machine made of a lot of metal amongst other things. When you look at it more in the setting it's intended to be used:

That Giant would have no problems with a carriage (600lbs), and with 1100lbs left over might even be able to do it easily with horses attached. That's what I personally expect from a Storm Giant.

Two other things quickly too:

1) As far as I'm aware we have no rules for water reducing effective weight, which seems very applicable to your other example of a Kraken

2) Carrying rules are what you can easily lift whilst still having all of your movement, 1,740lbs whilst still being able to sprint (Dash) at top speed seems pretty darn impressive

JackPhoenix
2022-01-06, 12:31 PM
Players ignore carrying capacity as it is, with monsters, it doesn't even matter. And it's not like the dragging rules differentiate between a wheeled vehicle and a random box, or the friction of different floors and objects. I have no chance to drag a pallet with a ton of paper at work by hand, but it's relatively easy with even unpowered pallet jack.

Segev
2022-01-06, 12:48 PM
Valid points so far, but I often find myself hitting a point where my fantasy of a super-strong whozamawhatzit is actually unable to move even a small boulder, or the like. A full-on merchant's wagon is going to be comparable to that Ford F-150, and would slow a pair of horses to 5 ft. per round by the rules as they must drag it. Obviously, nobody runs it that way, but I do like there to be some consistency in the rules, especially when I DM (but also as a player), so I can determine what is reasonable for a monster to be doing.

Hence my exploration of more involved rules.

(I also tend to be upset over the jumping rules saying "you can make a Strength(Athletics) check to jump further" with zero help in determining what scale "further" is meant to be. Is it Very Easy or Very Hard to jump an extra 2-3 feet to complete one more five-foot square's distance? Is it Medium or Nigh Impossible to double your jumping distance? How do we gauge this skill vs. the Beast Barbarian's special rule for jumping?)

MoiMagnus
2022-01-06, 01:16 PM
Is the goal just to take care of big creatures?
If yes, then I think multiplying the carrying capacity by the number of "squares" the creature occupy should work (so multiply by 0.25/1/1/4/9/16 depending on the size category).

On the other hand, if you want to go super-hero, you can use M&M tables: start at 50lbs for 10, and multiply by 2 every Strength modifier (so by 1.4 every Strength point).

Dork_Forge
2022-01-06, 01:31 PM
Valid points so far, but I often find myself hitting a point where my fantasy of a super-strong whozamawhatzit is actually unable to move even a small boulder, or the like. A full-on merchant's wagon is going to be comparable to that Ford F-150, and would slow a pair of horses to 5 ft. per round by the rules as they must drag it. Obviously, nobody runs it that way, but I do like there to be some consistency in the rules, especially when I DM (but also as a player), so I can determine what is reasonable for a monster to be doing.

Hence my exploration of more involved rules.

(I also tend to be upset over the jumping rules saying "you can make a Strength(Athletics) check to jump further" with zero help in determining what scale "further" is meant to be. Is it Very Easy or Very Hard to jump an extra 2-3 feet to complete one more five-foot square's distance? Is it Medium or Nigh Impossible to double your jumping distance? How do we gauge this skill vs. the Beast Barbarian's special rule for jumping?)

I feel like you're missing this part from the Mounts and Vehicles section:

An animal pulling a carriage, cart, chariot, sled, or wagon can move weight up to five times its base carrying capacity, including the weight of the vehicle.

That means that a pair of draft horses can pull 2,400lbs, with more than two horses being used not exactly unheard of or uncommon.

This indicates that wheels make the difference between dragging being x2 and x5, meaning the Storm Giant originally referenced could pull a truck weighing up to 8,700, or two f-150s tied together, with passengers.

Also going to throw this out there, we have no weight for 'small boulder' since such a thing is so dependent on too many variables (type of stone, is it solid throughout?) and the weight of a massive American pick up truck is an odd standard to use.

A merchant carrying milk would be able to cart over 230 gallons of milk in barrels to market, and that's with hundreds of lbs in excess to account for other things.

In what situation do you see a single merchant's wagon having good in excess of 4000lbs? And why wouldn't that merchant be able to afford more horses to pull it anyway?

JackPhoenix
2022-01-06, 02:29 PM
That means that a pair of draft horses can pull 2,400lbs, with more than two horses being used not exactly unheard of or uncommon.

In addition, merchant wagon may also use oxen instead of horses, who do have even better carrying capacity (due to being counted as huge instead of merely large). Also much cheaper, and with better endurance (thanks to higher Con), though slower.

Greywander
2022-01-06, 04:42 PM
I've run into similar issues when expanding the number of size categories and trying to assign average expected weights for each size. Eventually, creatures get so big that they can't even pick up one of their own kin! This is even generously assuming that a creature's own weight doesn't encumber them, which wouldn't be the case in real life. One of the main aspects of the square-cube law is that eventually a creature gets so big that they can't even carry their own weight, making them unable to move, and going bigger than that they eventually get crushed to death under their own weight, unable to lift their body off of their vital organs.

I think it's fair to ask if D&D even adheres to the square-cube law, though. I've heard someone say D&D runs off of Aristotelian physics, not Newtonian physics, but I'm not sure what this means for size vs. weight vs. strength. Normally, making something twice as big makes it about 8 times heavier and 4 times stronger, but there are a number of ways this could be adjusted to negate the square-cube law. You could simply say that doubling the size only makes something 4 times heavier, or you could say it makes it 8 times stronger, or you could have larger creatures be magically enhanced to be stronger than if you simply scaled up a human or animal to that size.

I've thought that it would be interesting to have a sci-fi setting with some kind of meta-material that explicitly ignores the square-cube law... somehow. This then lets you build your humongous mechas and such. Figuring out the mechanism that allows this meta-material to ignore the square-cube law could have interesting implications that could create weaknesses for things like the mechas, and might tie in to the larger story of the setting.

Sigreid
2022-01-06, 06:28 PM
If I were going to worry about it, I'd change it so Str above 20 operates off of a completely different formula than str 20 and below. Supernatural strength would be truly supernatural.

MoiMagnus
2022-01-06, 07:12 PM
I think it's fair to ask if D&D even adheres to the square-cube law, though. I've heard someone say D&D runs off of Aristotelian physics, not Newtonian physics, but I'm not sure what this means for size vs. weight vs. strength.

From some of my old memories and some quick wikipedia search (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotelian_physics#Four_causes), Aristotle's opinion on "Can giant creatures carry their own weight and throw giant objects?" would be "Every giant creature that would exists would be able to carry its own weight, by the nature of existing. If it has giant arms, it would be able to throw giants objects, by the nature of having giant arms.":
Aristotelian physics events occur because of 4 factors, called the 4 causes:
(1) Material: which is the nearest from what we call today "Physics"
(2) Formal: which goes from regular logic to Warammer 40k's Ork's magical logic of painting your bike in red so that it goes faster.
(3) Agency (traditionally called Efficient): which is the effect of the will of the creator of an object, or the will of the one who initiated the movement of an object, etc. When you throw an object in Aristotelian physics, you charge it with your will (thanks to your muscles) which allow the object to temporarily ignore gravity and go in a straight line, but once it run out of your will, it starts to fall down to the ground as object usually do.
(4) Final: the reason to exists of an object. Objects fall to the ground because that's what the ground is for, eyes see light because that's what the eyes are for, etc.

So, as for a Giant standing up and throwing a big boulder, you just need:
(1) For the Giant to have strong bones and muscles
(2) For the Giant to look like a scaled-up human, and the boulder to look like a scaled-up boulder a human could throw.
(3) For the God having created the Giants to have willed them into existence well enough, and for the Giant to have a strong enough willpower to move himself and throw heavy objects
(4) Even if he is not exactly like a scaled-up human, since the purpose of legs is to stand up, and the purpose of arms is to carry things, this should go somewhat well.
[And you don't need all of those factors, sometimes one is enough, sometimes more are necessary. No exact formula is included.]

sambojin
2022-01-06, 11:01 PM
For a yardstick of "strong", a lvl6 Firbolg Moon Druid can lift 4560lbs when wildshaped into a Giant Constrictor Snake or Giant Elk with Enlarge or Enchance Ability (bull) cast on themselves.
(19Str *15lbs *2large *2huge *2pbuild *2enlarge = 4560lbs)

It caps out at lvl18 as a Brachiosaurus for 11520lbs.
(24Str *15lbs *2large *2huge *2gargantuan *2pbuild *2enlarge = 11520lbs)

So an f150 is doable. You can even merge it into you if you want.

For enemy creatures, yeah, I'd just handwave it. Giants probably should be able to do way more than their strength and size suggests from the maths.

Maybe have huge as a 4x multiplier and gargantuan as another 4x, so things without powerful build or magic can still hit these sorts of numbers (and assume that it's pretty rare that a druid PC will ever need to, or simply won't have to double them if they do with racial or magical shenanigans). Essentially just double or quadruple the lifting capacity as you deem appropriate. Makes it easy.

Contrast
2022-01-07, 12:40 AM
You would have an extremely uphill battle convincing me that Powerful Build should be retained when you wildshape into the form of a creature that doesn't have Powerful Build.

JackPhoenix
2022-01-07, 10:11 AM
I've run into similar issues when expanding the number of size categories and trying to assign average expected weights for each size. Eventually, creatures get so big that they can't even pick up one of their own kin! This is even generously assuming that a creature's own weight doesn't encumber them, which wouldn't be the case in real life. One of the main aspects of the square-cube law is that eventually a creature gets so big that they can't even carry their own weight, making them unable to move, and going bigger than that they eventually get crushed to death under their own weight, unable to lift their body off of their vital organs.

Well, perhaps square-cube law *is* the reason why big creatures have so relatively low carrying capacity.

Segev
2022-01-07, 10:13 AM
Well, perhaps square-cube law *is* the reason why big creatures have so relatively low carrying capacity.

Perhaps, though square cube law would typically forbid creatures like that in general. The largest dinosaurs were quadrupeds and not likely very fast.

More to the point, though, in heroic fantasy, should square cube law limitations apply?

dafrca
2022-01-08, 11:25 PM
If yes, then I think multiplying the carrying capacity by the number of "squares" the creature occupy should work (so multiply by 0.25/1/1/4/9/16 depending on the size category).

This feels like a simple and clean house rule to deal with the larger creatures while leaving the human sized ones where they are. :smallbiggrin:

KOLE
2022-01-09, 01:12 PM

On the other hand, if you want to go super-hero, you can use M&M tables: start at 50lbs for 10, and multiply by 2 every Strength modifier (so by 1.4 every Strength point).
Stuff like this is why I love these forums. Simple and clean solutions to problems.

Greywander
2022-01-09, 02:47 PM
This is already how it works, sort of, and it adheres to the square-cube law (at least, as far as strength is concerned, not sure about weight).

Each step up in size is a √2 increase, which according to the square-cube law and according to the rules would double the creature's strength. So good so far. The problem is that there are a couple cases where this isn't the case.

If you jump two size categories from Tiny to Medium, going √2 with each step (or doubling in two steps), then you get exactly what you'd expect, going from 2.5 feet to 5 feet. But Small is also 5 feet for some reason. My best guess is because going one step down from Medium would be about 3.5 feet, which is too big to fit more than one such creature inside a 5 foot square, so it just rounds up to 5 feet. Also, for some reason, Small creatures have the same carry capacity as Medium creatures, when it should be half, and Tiny creatures should have only one quarter of the carry capacity of Medium creatures. So the carry capacities are likewise messed up.

The other problem is with going from Medium to Large. This is not a √2 increase, this is doubling in one step. So really a Large creature should have four times the carry capacity of a Medium creature (and a Large creature also occupies 4 squares to a Medium creature's 1 square, to bring it back to the quoted post above). There's actually a "missing" size between Medium and Large, but like with Small this missing size would be too big to fit into a clean multiple of 5 foot squares. Like with Small, you'd have to round it up, making it occupy a 10 foot square, but there just wouldn't be a meaningful distinction between Large and this missing size, which is probably why they don't have it. (To be fair, there's barely a meaningful distinction between Medium and Small.) As with sizes smaller than Medium, this also screws up all the carry capacities for sizes bigger than Medium. Large should be 4x carry capacity, but it's only 2x. Huge should be 8x, but is only 4x. Gargantuan should be 16x, but is only 8x. (Recall that Gargantuan creatures occupy 16 squares as well. Huge creatures should technically occupy slightly less than 9 squares, but the overall space has to be square in shape, so it has to round up to 9 squares.)

So yes, if D&D sizes actually adhered to a formula where each step up was (approximately) a √2 increase, and each step up doubled your carry capacity, it would correlate heavily to the number of squares occupied. Instead of relying on this roundabout correlation, you could also just apply the rules properly by giving Small creatures half the carry capacity and adding in the missing size between Medium and Large. If you want a meaningful distinction between Small and Medium, and between the missing size and Large, you could say, for example, that you can fit 3x3 Small creatures in a 10 foot square, or 2x2 of the missing size in a 15 foot square.

But this doesn't fix the issue, it just moves the goalposts. So now creatures Large and up can carry double what they could before. You'll still quickly run into the issue of them not being able to lift another member of their own species as you scale up. A sufficiently large creature will have a carry capacity that is a mere fraction of how much that creature itself weighs, and fortunately they don't get encumbered by their own weight, but it will still end up a laughable situation.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-01-09, 03:02 PM
D&D doesn't obey the square cube "law" anyway, so that's a moot point.

Seriously, the fundamental laws of D&D are different from the real world. That's actually better anyway, because it means you can set the dials wherever you want for aesthetic or have reasons.

stoutstien
2022-01-09, 04:54 PM
I started using a bulk rule for items/lifting/carrying capacity and so far it's working as attended. I feel like that's one area that you couldn't help but making it overcompilated with no real benefits.