PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a Setting(?): City Design(3.PF)

Promethean
2022-01-06, 09:49 PM
Continuing the series of splitting up the topic into Different posts.

So, Assuming that people in a D&D setting largely understood optimization and the "mechanics" to a degree, how would that effect How cities, fortresses and kingdoms are designed? Tippyverse suggests walled off mega-cities similar to what you'd find in a post-apocalypse that humanity survived largely intact, but would that be the most optimal or even the most common? How would buildings look when common people can start making epic skill checks with Knowledge(Architecture & Engineering) or Profession(Stonemason) thanks to +30 skill check items?

If they had limited access to any material from any setting-specific books or *3rd party sources, including various production cost reducers, non-standard magic item types, and variant rules.

*by 3rd party I mostly mean the published 3rd party companies, let's leave out out homebrew(even balanced homebrew), because anyone can homebrew anything and making an exceptions list would make things complicated.

Clarification: The idea proposed isn't that everyone wakes up one day with complete knowledge of the game mechanics and how to optimize them or that everyone in this setting is optimized.

The central idea of this post is that various societies in said world were able to figure out the "mechanics" by trial and error, that they'd gravitate toward improving magic/technology to improve their race/group's standard of living, and make efforts to standardize class education and builds to increase their power by reducing the number of "NPC classes". Not everyone would necessarily be optimized for the same reason that not everyone is a soldier, a farmer, or a computer engineer.

Basically trying to build a setting where optimization organically grew out of the circumstances as a form of technology.

Note 1: Let's also nerf any Infinite or Arbitrary high stat booster builds(for our purposes let's say the cap on these builds is 2x modifier on base stat), things that rely on creating new epic spells(the epic spells in published material[example: Athasian dragon or Aumvor's fragmented phylactery] are fine), and abusing "Greater Effects" wishes(standard effects of wish are fine, assume greater effects are being fulfilled by a sadistic DM that's lost patience with the wish user).
Note 2:High PO and Low TO builds are fine. Broken, but reasonable builds are fine. "I ascend and slay the gods" builds are not. Otherwise, the setting will just become whatever the first person to discover these Wants it to be.

2022-01-06, 11:22 PM
As in previous things, I'm assuming a society using elite toad farms to get everybody to at least 9th lvl, with full inherents at birth and easy item loans to get paid back over time.

Guild membership, affiliation membership, and apprentice feat can make nonmagic crafting cheaper (24.3% market price). Since this is a 3.P thing, let's start mixing in some PF stuff:

(Int: Base 11, HD 2, inherent 5, enhancement 6; total 26/+8)

Our nonmagic crafter will be a Dwarf (Craftsman/Industrious Urbanite) Unchained Rogue (Phantom Thief), giving them great access to the unchained skill system in exchange for no SA. This is a big improvement over expert while still being pretty NPC. Let's make them lvl 10 instead of lvl 9 - just a little bit more XP in exchange for much better crafting. 10 ranks, class skill +3, Int +7 (fairly average given my setup), dwarf +2, 3.5 specialized trait +1, phantom thief +5, skill focus +6, prodigy +4, masterwork tools +2, competence item +30; total bonus +68 (+70 for stone/metal materials). With unchained craft+phantom thief, and Industrious Urbanite, our crafting progress is 4x[DC]x[check result] sp per day. This should generally be 2560 gp worth of progress per day (with us spending 622.08 gp as material costs). You'll need an artificer to make magic crap, unless you take Phantom Thief to lvl 14, at which point Unchained Craft will allow you to craft magic items relevant to your unchained craft skills without needing the feats or any other prereqs (well, DC still gets raised, but...+70 lol :smalltongue:).

There's not a lot of guidance for what naturally-high DC architecture looks like, but we can probably rest assured that it can get pretty optimal. If you're looking for advice on what specifically to build, I'd look for guides centered around the Stronghold Builder's Guide. Most towns end up being basic walls of basic materials, but SBG allows you to make all kinds of magic rooms made out of all kinds of absurd materials. I'm sure there's some handbooks out there on abusing that splatbook.

Promethean
2022-01-07, 02:12 AM
There's not a lot of guidance for what naturally-high DC architecture looks like, but we can probably rest assured that it can get pretty optimal. If you're looking for advice on what specifically to build, I'd look for guides centered around the Stronghold Builder's Guide. Most towns end up being basic walls of basic materials, but SBG allows you to make all kinds of magic rooms made out of all kinds of absurd materials. I'm sure there's some handbooks out there on abusing that splatbook.

Unfortunately, I've never found any stronghold handbooks. :smallsigh:

On another note, a surprisingly good resource for stronghold is Alchemy & Herbalism by Bastion Press. It has a number of alchemical reagents that are meant for packing into the mortar of strongholds or for breaking down the components of walls for sieging fortresses.