PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Pathfinder 1e] Multiclass Gunslinger/Magus

spectralphoenix
2022-01-06, 10:24 PM
I'm toying around with the idea of a gun mage character. The basic idea is to combine five levels of Musket Master (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo-gunslinger-archetypes/musket-master) Gunslinger (feats/Quick Clear/Gun Training) with Eldritch Archer (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo-magus-archetypes/eldritch-archer-magus-archetype/) Magus, which allows for ranged spellstrikes.

Race: Halfling
Abilities: Str 8 Dex 18 Con 12 Int 16 Wis 14 Cha 12
Traits: Magical Knack, Reactionary
Archetypes: Musket Master, Eldritch Archer

Level
Abilities
Feat

Gunslinger 1
Deeds, Grit, Gunsmith, Rapid Reload
Point Blank Shot

Magus 1
Arcan Pool, Ranged Spell Combat

Magus 2
Ranged Spellstrike
Deadly Aim

Gunslinger 2
Nimble+1

Gunslinger 3
Deeds
Rapid Shot

Gunslinger 4
Bonus Feat
Precise Shot

Gunslinger 5
Gun Training
Extra Arcane Pool

Magus 3
Arcana(Spell-Scars)

Magus 4
Spell Recall
Improved Critical(Musket)

Magus 5
Bonus Feat
Intensify Spell

Magus 6
Arcana(Empowered Magic)
Spell Penetration

Magus 7
Knowledge Pool, Medium Armor

Magus 8

Improved Precise Shot

Magus 9
Arcana(Reach Spellstrike)

Magus 10
Fighter Training
Weapon Focus(Musket)

Magus 11
Bonus Feat, Improved Spell Recall
Weapon Specialization(Musket)

Magus 12
Arcana(Distant Spellstrike)
Extra Arcana(Devoted Blade)

Magus 13
Heavy Armor

Magus 14
Greater Spell Combat
Extra Arcana(Maximized Magic)

Magus 15
Arcana(Bane Blade)

I think this could actually turnout to be pretty strong at higher levels, combining solid gun attacks with spellstrikes, all resolved as touch attacks out to 80ft with a distance musket. I'm a little more concerned about the early levels - I need a lot of feats, and I'm trying to get the basic concept of guns+magic operational as early as possible. Some of the changes I'm thinking about:

Race might be better as Elf for the Int bonus or Human for the feat.
I could dump strength down to 5, but I'm not sure if the extra points would get me much and the carrying capacity would make it pretty tough to stay at a light load
I could dump charisma, probably even enough to matter, but I like being able to talk in RP situations when it comes up. Might even swap Reactionary for something that gives me Diplomacy as a class skill.
A faerie dragon Improved Familiar could be interesting, depending on how much the hypothetical GM let me use its spellcasting. Starting with using mending to clear misfires through using a wand of Named Bullet to provide crits on demand.
Not sure if Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization is worth it. This would probably be replaced if I went with Improved Familiar.
Is five levels of Gunslinger the best breakpoint? That gets me Gun training, a significant damage boost, though I could see an argument for as many as seven (targeting), three (fast musket) or even just one (this would be a pistol build.) Or I could even get rid of the multiclass entirely, though I think I'd have a tough time getting through the early levels without quick clear and some of the extra feats.

Anything else I should consider here? Do you think this would be able to pull it's weight in a reasonably well-built party? Any other takes on this concept I should have a look at?

Serafina
2022-01-07, 03:20 AM
I'd recommend going with one level of Spellslinger (https://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Wizard%20Spellslin ger) Wizard instead, then just Eldritch Archer Magus 19.

Spellslinger Wizard gives you your Gun Proficiencies and Gunsmithing. And it can add up to +5 (your firearms enhancement bonus) to the Save DCs of any of your Ray Attacks (or Line or Cone Attacks) (as well as your attack rolls, but you won't make use of that as a Magus).

You don't need Musket Master since Rapid Reload + Alchemical Bullets already get you down to a Free Action Reload (Move Action via the Feat, Free Action from there via Cartridges).

And frankly (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?478211-Staff-and-Gun-a-miniguide-to-the-Eldritch-Gunslinger-(or-How-to-be-Harry-Dresden)) the boosted DCs can do some disgusting things - at higher levels, you can boost Disintegrate that way!
With Reach Arcana, you also open up a bunch of other options for nasty debuffing.

And sure, the above will cost you Gun Training, but Gun Training is just some damage lost. Look at it at any given level - at 11th level, which would you rather have, +3 to your DCs and an extra level of spells, or 12-18 extra damage per round? At 16th level, which would you rather have, Disintegrate with a stellar DC or 21-28 extra damage? Or at 5th level - would you rather be just a Gunslinger, or a Magus who shoots spell-bullets already (and does more damage because they're magical)?
Also keep in mind that you can use Snowball as your basic attack spell (much like your melee magus uses shocking grasp), which has a chance to stagger enemies - if they fail a save, thus making that DC boost much more valuable.

Kurald Galain
2022-01-07, 04:56 AM
Let's see,

The point of Eldritch Archer is, generally speaking, not the ranged spellstrike; but the fact that you can make a full attack and also cast a spell. And to address your specific points,

Human feat isn't necessary; Magus gets bonus feats. Elf is good though, and has some decent racial abilities.
See Magus guide in my sig for advice on sticking to a light load. It's certainly doable.
There are traits that let you key social skills off your int.
You can use Spell Blending to get named bullet on your list, since higher-level wands are very expensive. Familiars are still good though.
No, weapon focus/spec isn't very good.
Magus class abilities are really good, so a better breakpoint is one level of gunslinger (or, yes, spellslinger wizard) and then go full Magus.

spectralphoenix
2022-01-08, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the replies! I had a look at both of your guides, they gave me a lot to think about.

You're both probably right that five levels of spellcasting is too much to give up.

I'd recommend going with one level of Spellslinger (https://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Wizard%20Spellslin ger) Wizard instead, then just Eldritch Archer Magus 19.

Spellslinger Wizard gives you your Gun Proficiencies and Gunsmithing. And it can add up to +5 (your firearms enhancement bonus) to the Save DCs of any of your Ray Attacks (or Line or Cone Attacks) (as well as your attack rolls, but you won't make use of that as a Magus).

You don't need Musket Master since Rapid Reload + Alchemical Bullets already get you down to a Free Action Reload (Move Action via the Feat, Free Action from there via Cartridges).

And frankly (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?478211-Staff-and-Gun-a-miniguide-to-the-Eldritch-Gunslinger-(or-How-to-be-Harry-Dresden)) the boosted DCs can do some disgusting things - at higher levels, you can boost Disintegrate that way!
With Reach Arcana, you also open up a bunch of other options for nasty debuffing.

And sure, the above will cost you Gun Training, but Gun Training is just some damage lost. Look at it at any given level - at 11th level, which would you rather have, +3 to your DCs and an extra level of spells, or 12-18 extra damage per round? At 16th level, which would you rather have, Disintegrate with a stellar DC or 21-28 extra damage? Or at 5th level - would you rather be just a Gunslinger, or a Magus who shoots spell-bullets already (and does more damage because they're magical)?
Also keep in mind that you can use Snowball as your basic attack spell (much like your melee magus uses shocking grasp), which has a chance to stagger enemies - if they fail a save, thus making that DC boost much more valuable.

I hadn't really looked at the Spellslinger. Interesting that it affects out-of-class spells as written. I was thinking of a more damage based character who wasn't reliant on saves, but I could see that being effective.

The big thing Musket Master gives is the better damage and range from using a musket and rapid reload as a bonus feat. The idea being to get some of the early feat taxes out of the way fast. It isn't workable without at least three levels (since it takes rapid reload, cartridges, and fast musket to get to a free action) though.

Let's see,

The point of Eldritch Archer is, generally speaking, not the ranged spellstrike; but the fact that you can make a full attack and also cast a spell. And to address your specific points,

Human feat isn't necessary; Magus gets bonus feats. Elf is good though, and has some decent racial abilities.
See Magus guide in my sig for advice on sticking to a light load. It's certainly doable.
There are traits that let you key social skills off your int.
You can use Spell Blending to get named bullet on your list, since higher-level wands are very expensive. Familiars are still good though.
No, weapon focus/spec isn't very good.
Magus class abilities are really good, so a better breakpoint is one level of gunslinger (or, yes, spellslinger wizard) and then go full Magus.

I think this is an exception for ranged spellstrike - since I'm using firearms, spellstrikes will be as accurate or more than normal ray attacks.

The main idea behind the familiar was action economy - it casts named bullet against whatever I'm fighting, I use the bullet for a (nearly) guaranteed crit with something crazy like a maximized Cosmic Ray. That would put a good-sized hole in just about anything. You are right that it's probably too expensive for a wand though - maybe a couple scrolls for handling bosses?

Didn't see that Wayang Spellhunter before I read your guide, getting magical lineage without using up my magic trait could be valuable for tossing around intensified snowballs and what not.

Arkain
2022-01-08, 03:07 PM
There is yet another guide, focusing on a pure Eldritch Archer gunmage (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?602802-Pathfinder-The-Gunmage-What-the-Spellslinger-wishes-it-was).