PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Homebrew Mind Mage Remix

ToranIronfinder
2022-01-08, 03:25 AM
So I like the flavor of the Mind Mage (Dragon 313), but the execution isn't my cup of tea. The idea of mixing psionics and magic is fun, but the execution doesn't provide as much synergy as one would anticipate; at higher levels, the twin wells seeks to boost caster or manifester levels rather than to actually synergize magical and psionic abilities. Similar things are true of the spell to power erudite; its an interesting concept, but the outcome is a bit confusing. I came up with an update, by building the mind mage on the chasis of the Ultimate Magnus (a suggestion I've seen elsewhere), I was wondering if there were any thoughts. Abilities that have not been altered from the original are noted only on the chart, I'm not including the descriptions.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Mind Mage, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Skills Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 4 ranks, Psicraft 6 ranks, Spell craft 6 ranks.
Feats: One metamagic feat, one metapsionic feat,
Spells: Ability to cast 2nd-level or higher arcane spells.
Psionic Powers: Ability to manifest 1st-level or higher powers.
Special: Either the ability to cast spells spontaneously or the Eidetic Spellcaster Alternate class feature and the alacritous cogitation feat.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting.Manifesting
1st 0 0 0 2 Psionic Components (Ex): +1 level of lower-level existing arcane casting class or Manifesting class
2nd 1 0 0 3 Psorcerer +1 level of existing arcane casting class and +1 level of existing manifesting class
3rd 1 1 1 3 Psionic Reinforcement +1 +1 level of existing arcane casting class and +1 level of existing manifesting class
4th 2 1 1 4 Psorcerer +1 level of lower-level existing arcane casting class or Manifesting class
5th 2 1 1 4 Psionic Cross-Study +1 level of existing arcane casting class and +1 level of existing manifesting class
6th 3 2 2 5 +1 level of existing arcane casting class and +1 level of existing manifesting class
7th 3 2 2 5 Psorcerer +1 level of lower-level existing arcane casting class or Manifesting class
8th 4 2 2 6 Cross training +1 level of existing arcane casting class and +1 level of existing manifesting class
9th 4 3 3 6 Psionic Reinforcement +2 +1 level of existing arcane casting class and +1 level of existing manifesting class
10th 5 3 3 7 Advanced Training +1 level of existing arcane casting class and +1 level of existing manifesting class
Class Skills
The mind mage's class skills are Autohypnosis, Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Psicraft, and Spellcraft.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Mind Mage Class Features
All the following are class features of the mind mage prestige class.

Hit Dice: D4

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A mind mage gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting/Manifesting: At each level except 1st, 4th, and 7th, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane casting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.

If the character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a mind mage, he must decide to which class he adds each level of mind mage for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

At each level except 1st, 4th, and 7th, you gain new powers, power points and unique powers per day (if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a manifesting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.

If the character had more than one manifesting class before becoming a mind mage, he must decide to which class he adds each level of mind mage for the purpose of determining power points and powers known.

At 1st, 4th, and 7th level, you gain new spells per day or powers, power points and unique powers per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) or manifesting level as if you had also gained a level in the class with the lowest lowest caster level/manifester level. For example, a 4th-level wizard/1st-level Psion who gained one level of mind mage would gain increased manifesting ability as if he had gained a level of Psion (since that class's caster level is lower than his wizard caster level).You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.

Psionic Components (Ex): As before.

Magical Psicrystal: If the mind mage has both a familiar and a Psicrystal, he dismisses that familiar. His psicrystal is treated as if he were a manifester of a level from his base caster class+his base manifester class+his mind mage level. Additionally, the Psicrystal contributes any benefits to the Mind Mage that his familiar contributed to the Mind Mage are contributed to the Mind Mage by his psi-Crystal. When the psicrystal uses its locomotion ability, it takes on the shape and characteristics of the familiar.

Psorcerer (Ex): At second, fourth and seventh levels the mind mage gains a bonus feat from the following list: Cannibalize Spell, Cerebremetamagic, Chameleon Crafter, Hypnotic Focus, Mystic Focus, Mystic Stabiity, Psiomancer,Psiotheurgist (see Dragon magazine 349)

Psionic Reinforcement : As before

Magical/Psionic Cross-study: At fifth level mind mage can learn to imitate magic with psionic effects, or to imitate psionics with magical effects. If the mind mage has the ability to add powers to a repertoire knows a spell which has a psionic counterpart on the Character’s power list of a level which the mind mage can manifest (i.e. metamorphosis and polymorph, wish and reality revision, Grease and Grease, Psionic), a mind mage can attempt to add the related psionic power to his repetoire by succeeding on a Psicraft check (DC15+the power’s level). A mind mage can learn a discipline-only power in this way only if it is up to 1 level lower than the highest-level power, which he can manifest. If the check fails, the Mind Mage cannot understand, manifest, or learn the power, until he gains another rank in Psicraft.

The Mind mage must spend 8 hours to add the power to his repertoire, and must pay with experience points deducted from the Mind Mages total (a total of 20XP times the mind mages highest manifester level).

If a mind mage has a power with a magical counterpart on the characters power list or in the character’s repertoire (i.e. metamorphosis and polymorph, wish and reality revision, Grease and Grease, Psionic), he can add that spell to his spells known list by succeeding on a spellcraft check (DC15+the spell’s power level). If the mind mage has the eidetic spellcaster alternate class feature, he must invest an equivalent amount of GP value in incense as a wizard would require to scribe the scroll into a spellbook. The spell must be at least one level lower than the highest level spell, which the caster is able to cast. The process of learning a spell requires 8 hours of meditation.

Cross training (Ex): At 8th level, by expending his focus a Mind mage can apply metamagic feats to Psionics as if they were metapsionic feats or metapsionic feats as if they were metamagic feats. To use this ability to mind mage must use the equivalent number of power points (to use a metapsionic feat as a metamagic feat) or sack a spell of the equivalent level (for a metamagic feat). For example, Bob the Erudite 1/Wizard 4/Mind Mage 8 can use his maximize spell metamagic feat with his Crystal Shard power by sacking a 3rd level spell slot in addition to the 1 power point (and any used to augment the power) spent on the Crystal Shard power.

Advanced Cross Training (Ex): A mind mage can cast a spell and manifest a power on the same target as a single action, and can do this 1/day; doing so uses the same spell level and number of power points as would be used casting them separately, and must expend his focus. Both the power and the spell must target have the same target, and the same range (so a mage casting an area effect spell with advanced cross training would need to use an area effect power, as well).

Special: levels taken in Mind Mage class do not count as Psionic classes in relationship to the Erudites ability to learn powers.

JNAProductions
2022-01-08, 11:29 AM
So, just letting you know, we actually have a Homebrew Subforum (https://forums.giantitp.com/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design). That's where homebrew is supposed to go.

As for the class itself...

I'd reiterate what the unchanged features do. I don't have the book on-hand, so I'm at a loss as to what those do.

Why does the class require more casting than manifesting? 2nd level spells, but 1st level powers.

For Advanced Cross Training, I'm a little confused. Do they have to have the EXACT same range, or just both be within range? Overall, I think that feature could use some clarity.

ToranIronfinder
2022-01-08, 04:10 PM
Thank you, I was unaware of a Homebrew forum, is there a way to move the thread? (It has been years since I've been a regular on any forum).

As to your points, I will look at clarifying the last part.

I did not quote the material to avoid issues with copyright, and Forum rules, but I can repost them, if needed, this came from Dragon 313.

The reason for the disparity between the two sources (Manifesting and Spellcasting) was that this disparity existed both in the original (which was a Manifester level 2 powers and case level 3 spells), and the fact that I used the Ultimate Magus as a template for the spellcasting/manifesting progression (Ultimate Magnus requires the ability to cast level 1 arcane spells spontaneously and to prepare level 2 arcane spells). I think the original purpose of the mind mage is similar to that of the Ultimate Magus, so I used it as a template.