PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mixed Blood Question

Val666
2022-01-08, 04:27 PM
Hey everyone! I know the Mixed Blood trait, let's say choosing the Aberration Heritage, gives you the Aberrant subtype, which allows you to qualify for Altered Life. If you pick Mixed Blood (Human) would you qualify for Racial Heritage? Might be obvious but it's better to ask and see if someone actually knows the right answer.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Ramza00
2022-01-08, 04:56 PM
What are you trying to do?

If I understand your question by my read the answer is yes, but what are you trying to do behind the question?

Val666
2022-01-08, 04:57 PM
What are you trying to do?

If I understand your question by my read the answer is yes, but what are you trying to do behind the question?

Use X race (not human), and grab Mixed Blood (Human) to qualify for Racial Heritage.

Kurald Galain
2022-01-08, 05:24 PM
Use X race (not human), and grab Mixed Blood (Human) to qualify for Racial Heritage.

That doesn't work. The trait states, "Unless noted in the benefit, you do not count as the chosen race for prerequisites." The human benefit lets you take favored class options, but not feats.

Jervis
2022-01-08, 05:25 PM
Does Mixed Blood (human) even exist? I can’t see it in the list. At least not for the SRD

Val666
2022-01-08, 05:55 PM
That doesn't work. The trait states, "Unless noted in the benefit, you do not count as the chosen race for prerequisites." The human benefit lets you take favored class options, but not feats.

Figured as much. Do you know any way to qualify for Racial Heritage?

Does Mixed Blood (human) even exist? I can’t see it in the list. At least not for the SRD

It does, the trait includes a Human option, but works as Kurald Galain said above.

Jervis
2022-01-09, 05:22 AM
Figured as much. Do you know any way to qualify for Racial Heritage?

It does, the trait includes a Human option, but works as Kurald Galain said above.

Why the smeckle is the trait better than the feat? That’s so weird. Side note i’m definitely using this in a upcoming 3.Pf game. Chameleon for non-humans here I come! Actually though what race is actually better for them than human (or Illumian)?

MornShine
2022-01-09, 06:05 AM
Why the smeckle is the trait better than the feat? That’s so weird.

The trait is third-party.

Also, with regards to access by another race, the feat is much better than the trait. For a non-human chameleon, though, I thiink what you want is Human Heritage (3.5 Races of Destiny)

Val666
2022-01-09, 11:41 AM

Also, with regards to access by another race, the feat is much better than the trait. For a non-human chameleon, though, I thiink what you want is Human Heritage (3.5 Races of Destiny)

True but I was looking to save a feat and qualify for Racial Heritage as a non-human

MornShine
2022-01-09, 03:34 PM
Fair.
Iirc, both half-elves and half-orcs automatically count as Humans, and the planetouched races have 'pass for human' to do the same.

(With a permissive DM, Pass for Any One Thing)

Jervis
2022-01-09, 06:24 PM

The trait is too. From the same publisher funnily enough. As for human heritage that feat is just kinda weird IMO. It changes your type while letting you keep the benefits of the old one, though it doesn’t qualify everything you keep and count for, and kinda shoots you in the leg if you’re a better type like Native Outsider.

Ramza00
2022-01-09, 07:53 PM
The trait is too. From the same publisher funnily enough. As for human heritage that feat is just kinda weird IMO. It changes your type while letting you keep the benefits of the old one, though it doesn’t qualify everything you keep and count for, and kinda shoots you in the leg if you’re a better type like Native Outsider.

To my recollection there are two versions of the Bloodforge book v1 from 2014 and v2 from 2017. They have different "covers" and most of the content is the same. Yet the v2 has the mixed blood trait (which is both stronger and weaker and some new subtypes like you can grab humans with the trait but not the feat) while the older version of Bloodforge has the mixed blood feat. Likewise there are 2 Bloodforge Infusion books from 2017 Esoteric Energies plus Feather and Fur and these Infusion books use the trait version of Mixed Blood.

This is similar, in my mind, how Ultimate Psionic changed some of the Psionics Unleashed material such as the Shared Power Feat (the modified version allows you to share psionic powers that are personal as a touch for 0 pp and your psionic focus, or a close range for 2 pp and your psionic focus. In addition the 2 pp and your psionic focus also puts the Network descriptor on the power which is very powerful if you have something that modifies network powers like the Vitalist or Tactician's Spirit of Many.)

Why the smeckle is the trait better than the feat? That’s so weird. Side note i’m definitely using this in a upcoming 3.Pf game. Chameleon for non-humans here I come! Actually though what race is actually better for them than human (or Illumian)?

Sometimes Aasimar is better, you lose the bonus feat of Humans but get other benefits plus a free ability to poach other races FCBs. For example an Aasimar Wilder can grab the Lurker's FCB 05 of +1 wild surge level and then prestige out at HD06* or continue to increase their wild surge at HD10, HD15, HD20.

Prestige Out at HD06* explained. Wilders in Dreamscarred still advance their wild surge with any prestige class that advances psionic manifesting. Thus a HD12 Wilder 5/Thrallherd 7 will have 11 levels of Wilder Powers Known and +4 Wild Surge before Items, Favored Class Benefits, and Overchannel+Biokinetic Feedback, and a cohort who is a HD11 to compliment the HD12 PC.

And if we include a second 3rd party maker, Studio M allows Aasimars to trade their spell like ability for a veil from a list of 10 different Akashic Veils that are Angel themed. I bring up Studio M for they added lots of new content to Akashic Mysteries and Dreamscarred was the original maker of Akashic Mysteries.

But yeah Humans and Illumians are awesome and often the best race to go with at least 30% of the time.