PDA

View Full Version : Most 1st level spell "slots"

Khrysaes
2022-01-08, 09:27 PM
I had a thought, I was wondering what the most "1st level spell slots" a character can get is.

2 levels in a full caster gives the maximum of 4.
2 in Warlock gives 2 per short rest.
2 in Artificer gives the spellwrought tattoo infusion, which is like 1 slot.
Sorcerer 2 can convert sorcery points into spell slots.

Magic initiate, strixhaven initiate, artificer initiate, fey touched, shadow touched, aberrant dragonmark, all let you pick a first level spell that you can cast once per rest.

Other feats, racial traits, and class features are similar, such as Gift of the Dragonborn, which is Cure wounds once per short rest.

So what are the most first level spells a character can cast?
Edit: 1: What is the most first level spells,
2: What is the most first level spells and still be good?
I could see 2 warlock/2Artificer/16 Sorcerer being... not the worst.
I guess Artificer 10/11 for the Spellstoring Item gives something like 10 spell slots of one spell.

Edit: Artificer can take Replicate magic item spellwrought tattoo for every invocation, so they can make up to 6 extra "1st level spells" if they take 6 infusions as spellwrought tattoos.

Contrast
2022-01-08, 09:47 PM
With Coffeelock the answer is infinite. Hard to beat that really.

bid
2022-01-08, 09:51 PM
Magic initiate, strixhaven initiate, artificer initiate, fey touched, shadow touched, aberrant dragonmark, all let you pick a first level spell that you can cast once per rest.
If you count those, there's quite a few at will eldritch invocations to pick from. No more than 2 or you lose your "real" spell slots (3 with eldritch adept).

Khrysaes
2022-01-08, 09:52 PM
If you count those, there's quite a few at will eldritch invocations to pick from. No more than 2 or you lose your "real" spell slots (3 with eldritch adept).
I am on the fence of whether to count these or not.

With Coffeelock the answer is infinite. Hard to beat that really.

Not counting coffee lock.

Melphizard
2022-01-08, 11:20 PM
I'm not too much a fan of sorcerer but off the top of my head going for specifically spell "slots":

2 Warlock / Divination Wizard 6 / Artificer 6 / Cleric 6

2 from Warlock
4 from being a full caster (Considered level 15 by Multiclass rules)
2 from two Spell-Refueling Ring infusions
1 from a Spellwrought Tattoo
14 using Divination Wizard's Expert Divination feature (explained below)
2 from Cleric's Harness Divine Power
----------------------------------------------
25 1st level spell slots

Explanation: Divination wizards get the ability Expert Divination which reads

"Beginning at 6th level, casting divination spells comes so easily to you that it expends only a fraction of your spellcasting efforts. When you cast a divination spell of 2nd level or higher using a spell slot, you regain one expended spell slot. The slot you regain must be of a level lower than the spell you cast and can’t be higher than 5th level."

Using this feature we can effectively regain our first level spell slots by expending our levels 2-8 spell slots on divination spells that we cast and/or upcast. You have a base of 6 spell slots, 1 expendable spell tattoo slot, and 16 replacement spell slots. [New]: On a short rest you can regain 3 1st level slots with Arcane Recovery and 2 from using Cleric's Harness Divine Power

Kane0
2022-01-09, 12:06 AM
Arcane Recovery and Harness Divine Power both give you spell slots back on a short rest

Melphizard
2022-01-09, 12:15 AM
Arcane Recovery and Harness Divine Power both give you spell slots back on a short rest

Actually forgot Arcane Recovery but I didn't notice Harness divine power was a short rest ty.

Yakmala
2022-01-09, 12:32 AM
Extra castings of Guiding Bolt as a Stars Druid.

Anymage
2022-01-09, 12:32 AM
Even without coffee antics, sorloc is hard to beat. Pure Sor 20 gets the basic four for any fullcaster, plus ten if they dump all their sorcery points into first level spell slots, plus another 42 if they burn all their higher level slots into sorcery points for further conversion into first level slots. 56 before any other feats or effects is going to be the baseline, and just giving up one level for the lock slots loses you four of those slots (mostly from losing out on a seventh level slot to convert into points). You'd need 2+ short rests to make up for that as a lock.

That's of course ignoring features like the Misty Visions invocation or any wizard with Spell Mastery, since they also get to join the infinite first level slots club.

(Edit: of course that's looking at it from a throughput perspective. If you just want to know who can list the most first level slots on their sheet, I don't know how many other options count as "slots" instead of something else entirely so I don't know if there's anything that can beat lock2/any fullcaster 3+ (or the equivalent for half- or thirdcasters).)

Chronos
2022-01-09, 08:14 AM
Any reason we can't just use our higher-level slots for 1st-level spells?

Bobthewizard
2022-01-09, 08:40 AM
Pure Sor 20 gets the basic four for any fullcaster, plus ten if they dump all their sorcery points into first level spell slots, plus another 42 if they burn all their higher level slots into sorcery points for further conversion into first level slots. 56 before any other feats or effects is going to be the baseline.

I think this is a great answer. Bloodwell vial also gets you another 5 sorcery points when you spend hit dice.

If you go Aberrant mind you can cast your class spells for one sorcery point instead of two, which gets you to 108 1st level spells cast per day, limited to your 2 enchantment/divination spells of course, but since it limits what you can cast, that puts it in the spell mastery/misty visions camp.

RSP
2022-01-09, 09:26 AM
Use the Spell Point Variant.

Rav
2022-01-10, 06:09 PM
Infinite. Any L18+ Wizard.

Spell Mastery
At 18th level, you have achieved such mastery over certain spells that you can cast them at will. Choose a 1st-level wizard spell and a 2nd-level wizard spell that are in your spellbook. You can cast those spells at their lowest level without expending a spell slot when you have them prepared. If you want to cast either spell at a higher level, you must expend a spell slot as normal.

By spending 8 hours in study, you can exchange one or both of the spells you chose for different spells of the same levels.

Khrysaes
2022-01-10, 06:15 PM
Infinite. Any L18+ Wizard.

Spell Mastery
At 18th level, you have achieved such mastery over certain spells that you can cast them at will. Choose a 1st-level wizard spell and a 2nd-level wizard spell that are in your spellbook. You can cast those spells at their lowest level without expending a spell slot when you have them prepared. If you want to cast either spell at a higher level, you must expend a spell slot as normal.

By spending 8 hours in study, you can exchange one or both of the spells you chose for different spells of the same levels.

Counterpoint. Infinite, level 2 warlock.

But not what i was going for. I meant more along the lines of slots that can be used for any spell known or prepared with the exception of spellwrought tattoo infusion, only because it can be any spell when made. Although, i guess spell mastery is similar in that manner to the tattoo

Sorcerer 20 as shown above is the best.

Rav
2022-01-10, 06:31 PM
Counterpoint. Infinite, level 2 warlock.

But not what i was going for. I meant more along the lines of slots that can be used for any spell known or prepared with the exception of spellwrought tattoo infusion, only because it can be any spell when made. Although, i guess spell mastery is similar in that manner to the tattoo

Sorcerer 20 as shown above is the best.

IDK this seems to apply to your criteria. You can swap it after 8hrs to whatever other 1st or 2nd level spells you know. Not sure warlock can do that? Want infinite Magic Missles? You got it. Infinite unseen servants? You got it. Infinite shields? Or Infinite Silvery Barbs? Ez.

Kane0
2022-01-10, 07:40 PM
Well if you can use artificer to make any spell tattoo you want, what about using it to make any scroll you want in half the time too?

AIResearch
2022-01-11, 03:33 AM
Candle of Invocation is relevant here.

If you have at least 1 level in Druid or Cleric all your 1st level spells from any list that you cast with spell slots can be cast without expending spell slots while the Candle is lit. Every first level spell you can cast with spell slots is at-will.

Khrysaes
2022-01-11, 04:54 AM
Well if you can use artificer to make any spell tattoo you want, what about using it to make any scroll you want in half the time too?

Infusions can't make consumable items like scrolls and potions. So, tattoos technically probably shouldn't work. That said, only 2 levels are needed to make tattoos, 10 levels are needed to get the time reduction of the scrolls.

Khrysaes
2022-01-11, 04:56 AM
IDK this seems to apply to your criteria. You can swap it after 8hrs to whatever other 1st or 2nd level spells you know. Not sure warlock can do that? Want infinite Magic Missles? You got it. Infinite unseen servants? You got it. Infinite shields? Or Infinite Silvery Barbs? Ez.

You're right, it matches the spellwrought tatto infusion, which is why I mentioned that it did in my post you quoted. So yes, Wizard 18 is technically the most, because it is flexible infinite. Sorcerer is most in the non infinite sense.

Khrysaes
2022-01-11, 05:06 AM
Candle of Invocation is relevant here.

If you have at least 1 level in Druid or Cleric all your 1st level spells from any list that you cast with spell slots can be cast without expending spell slots while the Candle is lit. Every first level spell you can cast with spell slots is at-will.

I just read this, and that would work. I also looked at the spell mending.

Would mending work to restore the lost candle?

Mending says: This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can't restore magic to such an object.

The fire of being lit melts the candle, which is a form of breaking it.

So long as the candle is not destroyed, it still has its magic.

Ergo, Mending should restore the material of the candle lost from being melted.

AIResearch
2022-01-11, 07:22 PM
I just read this, and that would work. I also looked at the spell mending.

Would mending work to restore the lost candle?

Mending says: This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can't restore magic to such an object.

The fire of being lit melts the candle, which is a form of breaking it.

So long as the candle is not destroyed, it still has its magic.

Ergo, Mending should restore the material of the candle lost from being melted.

Isn't this a "have your cake and eat it too argument"? If you burn the candle to produce its magical effect (ie using it appropriately in its intended way) you certainly weren't breaking it by intent, just expending its magic. And even if you did break the candle, the consumed portion that you mend couldn't have its magic restored. Mending can't be used to restore consumeable magic increments that are consumed to produce magic.