PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly, I feel very old...

The Bushranger
2007-11-21, 08:02 AM
Yesterday while out and about in the big city, I noticed a place that had put up a sign that said "...Since 1987". At first I started my usual mental scoffing about how that wasn't all that long and therefore not worth bragging, when the ton of bricks hit:

They had that sign up because it's their twentieth anniversery.

1987 was twenty years ago.

In 1987 I was still young enough that now I really can't remember any specific events that happened to me that year. (Except perhaps breaking my arm, or was that 1986...?) And Ford Taurses aren't supposed to be antique cars! :smalleek:

So, as I said in the title, having realised just how long ago 1987 was...now I feel very, very old, like a grumpy old man sitting in his rocker with a cane and a bottle o' hooch, reminiscing about the good old days.

Kidddds theesse dayyys...

Where did that last 20 years go?!

banjo1985
2007-11-21, 08:07 AM
Heh I get that feeling a lot. In fact, my girlfriend wasn't even born in 1987, that really hits home how long ago it was...:smalleek:

I was only 2 back then, can't remember a single thing about it, except watching the first series of Red Dwarf...strange thing to remember really.

ocato
2007-11-21, 08:11 AM
I feel weird too. Like when you read about someone born in the 1990s and they aren't a small child.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-21, 08:15 AM
I feel weird too. Like when you read about someone born in the 1990s and they aren't a small child.

My girlfriend was born in 1990.

Bushranger: If it makes you feel better.. I used to own a Ford Contour from '96. When I got it, it was brand-new, then I realized that it really had been ten years to the day that I bought the car(last month). I've since sold it, but it really put things in perspective for me.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-21, 08:21 AM
It's when I think about things, like how the third season family guy referred to both Bush and Gore as future presidential candidates, or the premier of Futurama aroun Y2K, and then I start thinking to myself, those things happened like, 7 or 8 years ago... I remember the, like it were yesterday...

Hazkali
2007-11-21, 08:23 AM
In 1987 I was still young enough that now I really can't remember any specific events that happened to me that year

What, you mean you can't remember the angelic choirs that heralded my birth? Darn.

If it helps, I can't remember anything from 1987 either...

:smallbiggrin:

Charity
2007-11-21, 08:25 AM
Pah and very much humbug.
*waves stick*
The passage of time seems to accelerate as you get older, so good luck if you're struggling already.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/38/84/22358438.jpg

rubakhin
2007-11-21, 08:35 AM
I know how you feel. I was born in August of 1988 and got old the day I found out VH1 was running a special called "I Love the 90s."

Fortunately, like :roy:'s father, I was always a grizzled old man at heart and don't lament my lost youth much. I've had world sorrow for as long as I can remember.

the.weasely.one
2007-11-21, 08:39 AM
You realize of course that your realization about your age makes those who are older than you feel almost ancient.

By 1987 I had not only been out of HIgh School for 7 years but had started working for the company that I have now been with for 22 years. I had been playing D&D for 10 years by 1987, I don't even want to think about how long it's been now.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-11-21, 08:47 AM
Yes, exactly the case, I feel very old, I know, I'm just 14, but my mental age screams OOOOOOLDDEEEEER!, I think my classmates and sometimes even my teachers so....immature....
I'm not smart or something, just wise I think....

Death Giant
2007-11-21, 09:00 AM
don't worry, i was born in 1986. lol. I feel that every day when I look at my 7-year-old brother. EVERY DAY!!!!:smallfrown:

Methedras
2007-11-21, 09:03 AM
Here's to the 80's!

/raises mug

Skippy
2007-11-21, 09:06 AM
Lalala... I am not listening, I am not feeling old, lalala... Nothing happens, it's still the 90's and I'm still young...

*Runs around singing and with the hands in the ears*

The Bushranger
2007-11-21, 09:15 AM
Here's to the 80's!

/raises mug

Hear, hear!

*clink*

sihnfahl
2007-11-21, 09:28 AM
Feh, kids.

I remember the Challenger disaster. I can remember Reagan's inauguration. I remember the news reports of the failed attempt to get the hostages out of Iran.

Age is relative. You're only as old as you let yourself feel.

Tormsskull
2007-11-21, 09:33 AM
Ah, the passage of time, that glorious track that we all go through. When you are younger time doesn't seem to move so fast because you are in such a hurry to grow up. And once you grow up, you appreciate all that time that you didn't have to really do anything.

Also, time moves fast when you're young because things keep changing:
16- Learn to drive
17-get into R-rated movies without having to sneak-in
18-Gamble/vote!
19-Canada & drinking
20-No longer a teenager
21-Drink without having to cross any borders
22-?
23-?
24-?
25- Cheaper Car Insurance!
26-59-?
59&1/2- Yeah I can collect my 401k money!

They totally need to put more cool stuff in the later years.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-21, 09:44 AM
16- Learn to drive
18-Gamble/vote!
19-Canada & drinking
20-No longer a teenager
22-?
23-?
24-?
26-59-?

Alas.. There are too many dead levels in the class of Life.

Occasional Sage
2007-11-21, 09:47 AM
Feh, kids.

I remember the Challenger disaster. I can remember Reagan's inauguration. I remember the news reports of the failed attempt to get the hostages out of Iran.

Age is relative. You're only as old as you let yourself feel.

OMG the bad Challenger jokes!

And yeah, I remember (although I had to have it explained to me) a political cartoon showing a jelly bean telling a peanut, "I'm taking over now."

I think the.weasley.one has us beat for age, but let's hear it for Geezers in the Playground! Man that feels weird to say.

Charity
2007-11-21, 09:53 AM
Ah, the passage of time, that glorious track that we all go through. When you are younger time doesn't seem to move so fast because you are in such a hurry to grow up. And once you grow up, you appreciate all that time that you didn't have to really do anything.

16- Learn to drive
18-Gamble/vote!
19-Canada & drinking
20-No longer a teenager
22-?
23-?
24-?
26-59-?

Well as some guy whom I agree with put it..
When you're five years old, a year is one fifth of your life. That makes it seem like an impossibly long time, especially if you're five and have to wait until next year for something you really want.

In comparison, when you're 20, a year is only one twentieth of your life, and while the days don't exactly fly by yet, a year doesn't seem like the eternity it was at five.

By the time you're 50 and a year is only one fiftieth of the time you've experienced, a year whips by pretty quickly.

That's one reason that time seems to go faster as we get older. Another factor is how we spend time. Children are incredibly focused in the now. They are totally present in moment, totally absorbed in whatever they're doing. As we get older and begin to do more and have more complex thought processes, we begin to perceive time a bit differently. Unfortunately, it's hard to quanitfy these kinds of perceptions, so it's hard to say how much this really impacts our perception of time as we get older.

smellie_hippie
2007-11-21, 10:06 AM
I'm too old and lazy to look for a link, but there was an excellent rant by George Carlin about aging. Something to do with the younger ages being landmarks you race past, and the later years being endurance tests until you pass a specified age at which point it becomes a fun race again.

Maybe I'll go look for it. I just need to finish my prune juice first... :smallamused:

edit: yay, I feel young and spry... that was fairly easy.
GEORGE CARLIN'S VIEWS ON AGING
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids?

If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions. "How old are you?" "I'm four and a half!" You're never thirty-six and a half. You're four and a half, going on five!

That's the key. You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back.

You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead. "How old are you?" "I'm gonna be 16!" You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16!

And then the greatest day of your life . . . you become 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony . . . YOU BECOME 21. . . YES!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk. He TURNED, we had to throw him out. There's no fun now, you're just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40. Whoa! Put on the brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50 . . . and your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn't think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to 60. You've built up so much speed that you HIT 70!

After that it's a day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday! You get into your 80s and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime.

And it doesn't end there. Into the 90s, you start going backwards; "I was JUST 92."

Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half!"

May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-21, 10:14 AM
Well, as a 605537135 seconder... I can see time fly, I mean, now I'm a 605537146 seconder, 605537152 seconder... O! My God! Time's flying out of control! :smalleek:

Zar Peter
2007-11-21, 10:53 AM
I felt older yesterday by looking at the birth dates of the players of my favorite team. Only two are older than me!

Trog
2007-11-21, 10:54 AM
Carlin Rocks! And yeah. Getting older. Take it from us older playgrounders... it really, REALLY DOES go faster each and every year. So a year from now do you want to look back on your year and say: I never did take any chances. I never did the things I really wanted to do. I was (insert your favorite lame excuse/rationalizing here). Take the advice of an old Trog who missed out on a lot:

Carpe Diem.

Maerdred
2007-11-21, 11:08 AM
LOLz...

My first car was a 1987 Taurus Wagon. It was 8 years old when I got it though.

1987. I was 9. Third grade. what a life!

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-21, 11:09 AM
Psh, Torm, I've been doing all those things since I was like 15. Including collect 401K money. >.>

Vampiric
2007-11-21, 11:10 AM
Wow.... I feel old, but I was born '88.... so I guess it's not that bad for me, but still. I'm one of, if not the, oldest in my year, and also one of the most mature:smalltongue: (my sensei said I was a middle-aged guy in a teenager's body.... :smalleek:)

Setra
2007-11-21, 11:15 AM
Wow.... I feel old, but I was born '88.... so I guess it's not that bad for me, but still. I'm one of, if not the, oldest in my year, and also one of the most mature:smalltongue: (my sensei said I was a middle-aged guy in a teenager's body.... :smalleek:)
Bah, I was born in '88 as well, and I'm still plenty young. I feel older than I used to be, but that doesn't mean I have to feel old.

Brickwall
2007-11-21, 11:15 AM
Those of you who have not already, listen to the Queen song "Those Were the Days of our Lives". It will cheer you up. Really.

Rykaj
2007-11-21, 11:21 AM

16- Learn to drive
18-Gamble/vote!
19-Canada & drinking
20-No longer a teenager
22-?
23-?
24-?
26-59-?

Humans are so front loaded... I've only got empty years ahead of me. Maybe I should pick up a prestige class here or there. Any suggestions? :smallconfused:

banjo1985
2007-11-21, 11:24 AM
I recommend multiclassing as a tortoise. If your going to have a lifetime of empty levels, you might as well have lots of them :smallamused:

I'm da Rogue!
2007-11-21, 11:38 AM
Well, never had that 21 thingy, since in Greece we can drink whenever we like. We're not supposed to, but we can still go out and drink like adults even if we're 15. But we don't because it's not a big deal, you know.

And I had that feeling in 2003. I was watching a Guns n Roses gig from 1993, and I was thinking: "Wow... 10 years since 1993.."

NOW IT'S 10 YEARS SINCE 1997 ??? :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

The good thing is my friends are older than me, and I get used to 22, before turning 22.

Now, I'm 21, 10 months and 28 days old. 21!!!

wadledo
2007-11-21, 11:47 AM
That is why I will remain forever young through the use of my magical costumes.
*Power Force GO!*
Yea, even I get that feeling when I listen to classical when everyone else is listening to "that darned rapity-rap".

loopy
2007-11-21, 11:47 AM
Well... Just to make you all feel better, I pretty much just turned 20. I feel old. As a youth leader (I seem to be saying that a lot nowadays, makes me feel like I'm speaking from experience) who hangs around with 13-17 year olds a couple of days a week, I'm already feeling really out of touch.

For example:
- I can barely remember a time when there wasn't multiple computers per school.
- My sister, three years younger than me, can't remember a time when there weren't multiple computers per school. She can barely remember a time when there wasn't mobiles readily available.
- Most of my youth can't remember a time when mobiles weren't available.

And so it goes, to make the less technically literate of us into "How do you program the VCR/DVD/TiVo" type old people in about 10-15 years.

Aging sucks, and I'm still in my prime as far as physical fitness goes.

Midnight Son
2007-11-21, 11:48 AM
Well, never had that 21 thingy, since in Greece we can drink whenever we like. We're not supposed to, but we can still go out and drink like adults even if we're 15. But we don't because it's not a big deal, you know.

And I had that feeling in 2003. I was watching a Guns n Roses gig from 1993, and I was thinking: "Wow... 10 years since 1993.."

NOW IT'S 10 YEARS SINCE 1997 ??? :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

The good thing is my friends are older than me, and I get used to 22, before turning 22.

Now, I'm 21, 10 months and 28 days old. 21!!!http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/FISH_SLAP_by_carnival.gif Get back to me in 10 years. Then you can talk about getting old. How I wish I could be 21 and not have a care in the world again.

Occasional Sage
2007-11-21, 12:10 PM
Well... Just to make you all feel better, I pretty much just turned 20. I feel old. As a youth leader (I seem to be saying that a lot nowadays, makes me feel like I'm speaking from experience) who hangs around with 13-17 year olds a couple of days a week, I'm already feeling really out of touch.

For example:
- I can barely remember a time when there wasn't multiple computers per school.
- My sister, three years younger than me, can't remember a time when there weren't multiple computers per school. She can barely remember a time when there wasn't mobiles readily available.
- Most of my youth can't remember a time when mobiles weren't available.

And so it goes, to make the less technically literate of us into "How do you program the VCR/DVD/TiVo" type old people in about 10-15 years.

Aging sucks, and I'm still in my prime as far as physical fitness goes.

Yeah, I remember when schools didn't have computers.

There was a great article a couple years ago about the way times change but language doesn't, leaving younger people with phrases that don't have any real meaning for them. For instance, most people under, say, 25 have never really heard a phone ring; they've only heard the electronic "you have an incoming call" noise. The language is filled with a thousand of these, and they don't even hit our radar as odd.

FoE
2007-11-21, 12:19 PM
In three years I'm going to be 30. THIRTY. Christ, where did my 20s go?

InaVegt
2007-11-21, 12:22 PM
I remember my first computer, one without HD, which ran on those large wobbly disks when booting. I was 3 years old.

Then, when I was 5, I got my first pc with HD, it had MS-Dos and a few games, that was my introduction to video games.

Then, when I was 8, I got a PC with windows 3.11.

13, XP

17, LINUX, freed of microsuck.

I always feel old when I hear people having a lack of CLI skills, like they never used a proper computer.

SMEE
2007-11-21, 12:30 PM
I'm still 27 years old. I'm not quite young, but still young nonetheless. :smallsmile:

I'll be 29 or 30 years old when I get my SRS done. I would rather had it done when I was 23 years old, but 30 is still a good age.

I only tend to feel old when people around me start saying that they're in their teens, early twenties. :smalltongue:

Nightgaunt
2007-11-21, 12:32 PM
Those of you who have not already, listen to the Queen song "Those Were the Days of our Lives". It will cheer you up. Really.

I see your "Those Were the Days of our Lives" and raise you a "Time" by Pink Floyd.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-11-21, 12:34 PM

I think they're somewhere here...:smallconfused:

*searches bag of holding*

*searches some more*

You know what? I think they're lost.:smallamused:

FOREVER.

Amotis
2007-11-21, 12:36 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/FISH_SLAP_by_carnival.gif Get back to me in 10 years. Then you can talk about getting old. How I wish I could be 21 and not have a care in the world again.

I speak contrary to the ideal that young people don't have any real problems.

O.o Maybe a decade ago.

PhoeKun
2007-11-21, 12:37 PM
How I wish I could be 21 and not have a care in the world again.

Like hell. I don't know what your life was like in your early 20s, but mine sure isn't a peach factory. I stand at the threshold of the "real world", at that line everyone older than me has drawn in the sand, knowing I have to cross it in less than a year... and I've got no direction, in a world I know wants me to have 10 years work experience yesterday. Plus all the added fun things that come with being me and living with my family, which are things I won't go into here. But if this is the carefree point in my life, why should I even stick around to see the stressful parts?

You know, growing up, I heard people talk about the 70s and their youth as though it were part of a bygone era, when it was at most 15, 20 years ago at the time. And now that point is the 90s, which is my time. So yeah, I'm going to feel old.

But more than that, look at the way technological advancements are speeding up. There are kids today who have never even heard of half the things I grew up with. Cassette tapes, VHS (even more so, beta)... we're getting pretty close to cd players being completely phased out... and heck, personal computers were this new and wonderful thing at one point. We measured their storage capacity in megabytes, and marveled at the idea anyone could ever fill such a hard drive. Life without the internet? That happened?

...How am I supposed to not feel old, with all that going on?

the.weasely.one
2007-11-21, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I remember when schools didn't have computers.

Hey even I don't know about that, I'm about as old as dirt around here.

OK, my grade school didn't have computers, but once i was in High school, we had acess to computers. Had a link in to computers over at Bell Laboratories, but it was kind of neat. The year I took the first computer course there, was the first year we had online storage of our scripts (can barely call them programs), before that point everything was stored on Paper tape. Yes, this was even before punch cards, just a long piece of paper tape about 1.5 inches wide with lots of little holes all over it. (And even if someone asks nicely I refuse to admit I was geek enough to simply be able to read the tape!! NO NO never admit it!!!)

And I remember when I started working in a real business, having to use puch cards, and 8" floppy disks and fun stuff like that. And then I had them buy the first Desktop PC and try out a bunch of software to see what would help etc... Those were the days.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-11-21, 12:44 PM
I see your "Those Were the Days of our Lives" and raise you a "Time" by Pink Floyd.

Hey! That song makes me feel bad!

*sings Waisted Years, Iron Maiden*

So understand
Don't waste your time always
Searching for those wasted years..

Face up... make your stand
And realise you're living in the golden years!

Shadow
2007-11-21, 12:53 PM
For some reason I don't feel interested in adding to a conversation about feeling old that's being held by teenagers and twentysomethings.
:smallwink:
Except to say that I'm not going to add, of course!
:smallbiggrin:

Kitya
2007-11-21, 01:03 PM

Raises BOTH of you with "19 Something" by Mark Wills. I remember every single thing in that song. *chuckles* I didn't OWN all of em... my cousins had the Stretch Armstrong that ummm.. came apart... all on it's own!! Honest! :smallbiggrin:

The moments when I feel old is when I am watching a favorite tv show, and it hits me that the lead actors (who are adults) are YOUNGER than me... then I feel like a dirty old woman for thinking he's a hottie... Or when I realize that guys aren't looking at me to "check me out" but because they're trying to get a better look at my tattoo. *laughs* (that happened yesterday)

Honestly tho... I have enjoyed maturing... I'm not old. As I've gotten older, I've had MORE freedom. As much as I love my parents, they are kind of constricting. Being married and living faaarr faar away from them has meant that I don't have them looking over my shoulder and criticizing every move I make. Even when I was living in an apartment on my own... they would still try to tell me what things I could and couldn't do. So yeah... *grin* I get to do a LOT more now that I'm older. Like getting my tattoos... *chuckles*

BloodyAngel
2007-11-21, 01:06 PM
'88? Try being born in '81, ya young whippersnappers! I have to face the gross, sobering knowledge that I was almost born in the 70's! THE HORROR!

That being said... I don't think you're allowed to complain about how old you're getting until you're pushing 30. Hearing a 17 year old yelling "OMFG, I'm almost 18! I'm so damned old!" Just proves to me exactly how odd a perspective on life, and how little about it that teenagers know. Barring a sudden, violent confrontation with a wood-chipper... most people live into their 60's or 70's. That means that the surly high-schooler isn't even half there yet. What's more... he's not even past the years of schooling. He's still in the period of his life where he is PREPARING for having a real life.

If you're a teenager, and you like to think you're "older and more mature"... it had better be because you have a job on the side, and you're supporting someone, like a disabled parent or a REALLY lazy cat. Saying "I'm just more mature than my friends", is basically just trying to brag, based on something that is very hard to measure and prove you wrong. If you want to be mature... do what most people do. Wait a while. :smallamused:

That rant aside... I'm 26. I don't consider myself old, even though I have some of the traits (Ranting at teenagers on an online forum, for one). Age is subjective. Until you're at the age where your BODY decides to slow you down... it's all in your head. So if you young punks want to imagine that you're old and brood about it... you go ahead. I'll be off playing games and enjoying myself. :smallwink: Life is too short to spend worrying about how short it is!

Nightgaunt
2007-11-21, 01:07 PM
*sings Waisted Years, Iron Maiden*

So understand
Don't waste your time always
Searching for those wasted years..

Face up... make your stand
And realise you're living in the golden years!
You sing it girl!

I'm 27, don't feel old at all. But I spend half my time hanging out with kids when I go clubbing (18-22) and the other half hanging out with fossils (35+) when I roleplay. So I'm solid either way. I take care of myself, and I enjoy my life, what else am I gonna do with the time? Maybe old is more about 'perceived missed opportunities' then age, who knows? I guess their is a point of no return, the weasel probably has hit it, but the rest of us are still good. :smallcool:

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-21, 01:08 PM
Everyone should listen to "Closing Time" by Leonard Cohen.

I'm going to be a quarter-century old in a couple of weeks, and that kinda frightens me. Almost certainly, a quarter of my life is already over. Still, at least I can feel pretty good about where I've got to at the end of the first quarter, so I've no real regrets. I've gone through some struggles but it looks as though things are very much getting better for me.

Talking of 1987.... In August this year we celebrated the 20th anniversary of moving into our house. It was a funny thought when I realised that we've been here longer than my girlfriend has been alive!

BloodyAngel
2007-11-21, 01:14 PM

I'm going to be a quarter-century old in a couple of weeks, and that kinda frightens me. Almost certainly, a quarter of my life is already over. Still, at least I can feel pretty good about where I've got to at the end of the first quarter, so I've no real regrets. I've gone through some struggles but it looks as though things are very much getting better for me.

Talking of 1987.... In August this year we celebrated the 20th anniversary of moving into our house. It was a funny thought when I realised that we've been here longer than my girlfriend has been alive!

Given the very low likelyhood that most people actually live to be 100... I would say you're probably at closer to a third of your lifespan.

Shadow
2007-11-21, 01:15 PM
*Long Rant*
Yeah! Listen to this youngster!

And.... Just ouside of Chicago where? I grew up in Joliet and currently live in Lisle.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-21, 01:19 PM
I see your Leonard Cohen and raise you Tom Waits. Go listen to "I don't wanna grow up," instead, and learn age isn't about numbers.
[Obligatory "except with statutory rape lolz" joke here.]

CockroachTeaParty
2007-11-21, 01:23 PM
Whatever happened to the days when you would be married at age 15, with a log cabin and a mule as your only material possessions, and trackless miles of uncharted wilderness to exploit? Whatever happened to the days when being age 40 was considered venerable, and you could rape mother nature without a second thought to the consequences? When people drank booze because it wasn't tainted like the water supply, and a good day meant you didn't catch the plague? Why can't I put on my full plate and charge into the Middle East, killing with reckless abandon in the name of GOD? When the special effects in Terminator were considered cutting edge? I AM BEOWULF!!! *froths*

the.weasely.one
2007-11-21, 01:44 PM
Maybe old is more about 'perceived missed opportunities' then age, who knows? I guess their is a point of no return, the weasel probably has hit it, but the rest of us are still good. :smallcool:

Hey!! What ever happened to respectin' your elders sonny?

The Bushranger
2007-11-21, 01:51 PM
'88? Try being born in '81, ya young whippersnappers! I have to face the gross, sobering knowledge that I was almost born in the 70's! THE HORROR!
I'm older than you are. :smalltongue:
(By a minimum of 13 days...)

Koreku
2007-11-21, 02:01 PM
hehe... I'm not old :smallbiggrin:

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-21, 02:17 PM
Given the very low likelyhood that most people actually live to be 100... I would say you're probably at closer to a third of your lifespan.
My intention was to give a maximum figure, not an average. One can never tell... I could go in a freak accident tomorrow, and of course any life expectancy figures you see are based on an average, which includes all the people who died of sudden accidents. But in making plans for one's life, one just has to assume one won't go that way... and hope to be right.

wadledo
2007-11-21, 02:41 PM
Whatever happened to the days when you would be married at age 15, with a log cabin and a mule as your only material possessions, and trackless miles of uncharted wilderness to exploit? Whatever happened to the days when being age 40 was considered venerable, and you could rape mother nature without a second thought to the consequences? When people drank booze because it wasn't tainted like the water supply, and a good day meant you didn't catch the plague? Why can't I put on my full plate and charge into the Middle East, killing with reckless abandon in the name of GOD? When the special effects in Terminator were considered cutting edge? I AM BEOWULF!!! *froths*

Oh, that made me laugh so very hard.
And try listening to Jimmy Buffett's He Went to Paris.
I'm 16 and eating candy and it makes me feel old and sad. ;_;

adanedhel9
2007-11-21, 02:48 PM
Hmm, I haven't had any particularly "old" moments. One of my coworkers, though, was horrified to find out that I was born after he graduated from the same university I graduated from. He thought that really meant something; it was much more then a number.

eidreff
2007-11-21, 06:37 PM
Aging is a matter of perspective as I think has already been noted. I am personally looking forward to acheiving the maturity of a 5 year sometime around my 31st birthday. I think that this will be a great landmark.

On a serious note. Arthritis and inexplicable back ache have set in, I'm doooomed, doooomed I tell you!

Dwarkanath
2007-11-21, 07:09 PM
You realize of course that your realization about your age makes those who are older than you feel almost ancient.

By 1987 I had not only been out of HIgh School for 7 years but had started working for the company that I have now been with for 22 years. I had been playing D&D for 10 years by 1987, I don't even want to think about how long it's been now.Yah, know how you feel on that one. I mean you and I were around for things like the first lunar landing and Nixon's resignation.

And the really creepy part is that I work with people that are young enough to be my kids....Yikes.

-- Dave
'64

Hagentai
2007-11-21, 08:58 PM

Your as old as you feel. I'm 28 and i still get carded. :smallbiggrin:

The Bushranger
2007-11-21, 09:03 PM
Your as old as you feel. I'm 28 and i still get carded. :smallbiggrin:

Some places card up to age 40 now. :smalleek:

Jokes
2007-11-21, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty much on the threshold of true adulthood. 22, Just finished uni (with a degree I will probably never use), so I need to find a new job, move out of home and get a family (anyone have one spare?).

I currently work at a supermarket that has a high employee turnover rate (though, I've been there 6 years), so every few months the kids seem to get younger and younger. Most of them now were born in the 90's. I don't feel old around them though, they make me feel their age. I'm probably the least mature out of all them. :smallredface:

Zeb The Troll
2007-11-22, 02:20 AM
Oh goodie. Another "I'm old" thread. Yeah, there are a few of you that have me beat on a numbers basis but not very many. El Jaspero, Midnight Son, and I are all the same age, if my senility isn't overly active right now.

You know what makes me feel old around here? I have spawn older than nearly half of you. That little Gender: gimmick under my avatar? That's not a joke. My grandson is walking.

I can date somene half my age and it won't be illegal, even though my own daughter would be older than her. :smallwink:

I owned Dolly Parton's original "I Will Always Love You". On 8-track.

I watched Bill Cosby's "Himself" when he was still known for being a "sit down comic" and not the star of some iteration of "The Cosby Show".

My first car, a 1964 Corvair, wasn't a classic (local laws said it had to be at least 25 years old, it wasn't).

I could go on. I made a whole thread about this a while back.

Shadow
2007-11-22, 02:45 AM
I owned Dolly Parton's original "I Will Always Love You". On 8-track.
Do you have a working 8 track player? I do.
And I love it! :smallbiggrin:

Em Blackleaf
2007-11-22, 02:47 AM
I remember being six and a half! That was seven years ago! I think.

I don't remember anything from 1987 either, or '88 for that matter.
Fast forward to '94, there we go, Em is born. What a glorious day! Adorable has hit a whole new level. :smalltongue:
I don't feel old (mostly because I'm not), and I never will. I will get old, but I'll be child at heart forever. That's mostly due to the fact that I still feel six and a half. :smallbiggrin: Only difference is now I don't have my old SNES. :smallfrown: :smalltongue: I still have a Nintendo 64!

The Bushranger, You still have a lot of life ahead of you! Live it! At least you're not dead. :smallsmile:

Now I feel like a baby! I haven't even hit high school yet!

Midnight Son
2007-11-22, 02:49 AM
Some places card up to age 40 now. :smalleek:Don't know if this is still true, but a while back 7-11 had signs that said, "We card everyone." This was probably due to them getting fined too often.

Anyway, I was in there one day and this old (I mean like 90 years old) guy was in line in front of me with beer. He didn't have his ID on him, so the clerk refused him service.

Shadow
2007-11-22, 02:53 AM
Don't know if this is still true, but a while back 7-11 had signs that said, "We card everyone." This was probably due to them getting fined too often.

Anyway, I was in there one day and this old (I mean like 90 years old) guy was in line in front of me with beer. He didn't have his ID on him, so the clerk refused him service.

If you want to get technical, that';s the law in Illinois.
I'm not sure where you are, but Il State law states that antone purchasing alchoholic beverages must have identification with proof of age or no service can be rendered.
No one really enforces it this way, but that';s the way that the law is written.

Every once in a while, just to be jerks, I've actually seen cops write tickets if no ID was asked for. Even when the individual purchasing was obviously of age.

Destro_Yersul
2007-11-22, 02:59 AM
I feel old sometimes, and I'm not even 20 yet.

I think it's because kids these days have no respect for anyone. Bah! Back in my day we were nice to people older than us, whether we liked 'em or not! It's all this rap "music" I hear so much about. That's the real problem. Glorifying disrespect and violence, poisoning all their young minds...

*goes off grumbling*

I'm da Rogue!
2007-11-22, 06:38 AM
Fast forward to '94, there we go, Em is born. What a glorious day! Adorable has hit a whole new level. :smalltongue:

Now I feel like a baby! I haven't even hit high school yet!

You are a baby. You were born in 1994.

You're supposed to be.. 3? 4?:smallconfused:

Not... 13-14!!!:smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

*mind goes blank*

Page cannot be found.

wadledo
2007-11-22, 06:45 AM

*mind goes blank*

Page cannot be found.

Cool!
You broke I'm da Rogue, I've been trying to do that for a while.
Guess next time I'll use a hammer.
:smallwink:

Also, I've always had joint/back/neck problems, and my memories about as steady as a grey mule sitn' on a green log in a black bog with a large and angry frog.
So I don't have much change for a number of years to come.

Zeb The Troll
2007-11-22, 06:52 AM
And I love it! :smallbiggrin:Ha! No. Not anymore. Then again, I don't have any home stereo equipment. Not even a tuner. At home if I want to listen to CD's I use my computer or my PS2.

Pwenet
2007-11-22, 07:18 AM
16- Learn to drive
18-Gamble/vote!
19-Canada & drinking
20-No longer a teenager
22-?
23-?
24-?
26-59-?

Cool, I have something to look forward to next month.

What really makes me feel old - Hearing about people from High School I used to know having kids. KIDS!!! We were just KIDS!!!

For the records, I am happily married, but no kids in the foreseeable future.

AH! I'm married!?! When did this happen.

Sometime stop time!!!

Jalor
2007-11-22, 07:38 AM
This whole thread makes me think of Rush's "Time Stand Still".

Which, incidentally, was released in 1987.

The Bushranger
2007-11-22, 09:08 AM

*mind goes blank*

Page cannot be found.

That's definitly one of the :eek: moments for me, too.

(BTW, what happened to your avatar?)

I'm da Rogue!
2007-11-22, 09:45 AM
(BTW, what happened to your avatar?)
What about it? :smallconfused:

The Bushranger
2007-11-22, 09:53 AM
The background used to be white, now it's black. :smallconfused:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-22, 09:56 AM
It's neither; stop using IE.

Reinboom
2007-11-22, 10:14 AM
I hold tightly to my Super Nintendo. I love the thing.
I love Nightstalker for the Intellivision.
I love River Raid for the Atari.
The vehicle I most loved to ride in was my father's 57 Chevrolet (bel air, IIRC), that had the gas cap on the tail fin.
I love the snow, I enjoyed it, I went outside and played.
I've even walked in the snow all the way to school many many a time. Not bike, not ride, walked.
I'm still young, damnit!
(I'm 19, I'm young. :P - I love older things though... no idea why...)

I don't want to get older, sort of.
I don't want to get younger, sort of.

I want to be a kid so I can dream about being older again.

Zeb The Troll
2007-11-22, 10:38 AM
It's neither; stop using IE.Stop blaming that nonsense on IE. It looks fine to me. In all browsers.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-22, 10:41 AM
Older versions of Internet Explorer have been known to have transparency issues. Newer versions of IE have the fault of being designed by Microsoft. The people who brought you Vista, Office 2007, and Windows Media Player 10.

Think about it a couple seconds, then get Firefox.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-11-22, 10:42 AM
My IE shows it either black or white, and I only see it normal in Firefox.

Rex's right.

SDF
2007-11-22, 10:59 AM
I can remember time before the interblahrgs! What a trip that was.

banjo1985
2007-11-22, 11:00 AM
My IE shows it up just fine, but on my home computer it's black...seems fairly haphazard to me...

Korith
2007-11-22, 11:06 AM
I work in pensions.

If ever I feel old, for the next few years, anyway, I can check my normal retirement date.

September 1, 2046

I'm still young :smallbiggrin:

Last_resort_33
2007-11-22, 11:16 AM
I remember being the only person in my school who had a PC....

I was one in 1987.... Gods it all goes so quick... I'm gunna be dead soon!

Kitya
2007-11-22, 01:07 PM
*chuckles* I'm 33. I grew up on 8 tracks... we had a really cool one of this guy who could do different voices, and he did a bunch of fairy tales. Wish I could remember who that was. *sighs* I also grew up on vinyl records.

Let's see.. our first gaming station was... a BALLY!! How many people remember THAT one! The paddles were shaped like a gun handle with the trigger in the appropriate spot, and the top was the joystick that swiveled... which was necessary when playing gunfighter. We had many a championship contest in my family playing Wizard.

Our first computer was an Apple II plus... which we got second hand from my great uncle when he upgraded to an Apple II E... ooohh! and we had GHOSTBUSTERS for it... and Beer Run... *grinning* good times. I remember when we finally got a PC, we had games like Leisure Suit Larry, and Space Quest, and Police Quest, and we were AMAZED by the quality of the graphics!

My family was always kind of into the vintage stuff... we own, in my parent's basement, two.. count them TWO fully functioning wood floor pinball machines! Not those mega electronic ones you see these days.. but the GOOD old ones. Delta Queen (which will be mine some day), and Big Brave (which my brother is getting). We also have a coke machine.. the OOOLLLDDDD kind that takes the smaller glass bottles (altho the plastic holiday "vintage" ones work too), and you put em in a big wheel. Now, here's the scary thing... to get a coke, it costs a DIME... that's it! My brother and I are still fighting over who gets that one *chuckles*

Ok.. enough trips down memory lane... *chuckles*

Dallas-Dakota
2007-11-23, 06:19 AM
I remember being six and a half! That was seven years ago! I think.

I don't remember anything from 1987 either, or '88 for that matter.

Wohoooo! I'm older!

Destro_Yersul
2007-11-23, 06:28 AM
And I love it! :smallbiggrin:

Well, no.

But we do have a wind-up record player somewhere... Whole load of records for it too.

Korith
2007-11-23, 07:46 AM
I hold tightly to my Super Nintendo. I love the thing.
I love Nightstalker for the Intellivision.
The vehicle I most loved to ride in was my father's 57 Chevrolet (bel air, IIRC), that had the gas cap on the tail fin.
I love the snow, I enjoyed it, I went outside and played.
I've even walked in the snow all the way to school many many a time. Not bike, not ride, walked.
I'm still young, damnit!
(I'm 19, I'm young. :P - I love older things though... no idea why...)

I don't want to get older, sort of.
I don't want to get younger, sort of.

Oooh...missed this one earlier.

-I've got an NES hooked up to my computer. Unfortunately the computer lags too much to make it playable...but the NES still works!
-Utopia was one of my favorites on the Intellivision, though there was also a D&D game I had for it. The thing once gave me nightmares, but it was fun!
-Skip a few....
-Yes! Snow! Nothing beats a good snow fort.
-I still walk...sometimes...I walked to my University until I graduated in '05.
-I'm 26.

Wait..you love older things.

Oh my. :wink:

Ceska
2007-11-23, 08:55 AM
Bushranger, I've always though you were 15-16. Maybe because of the avatar.

Where did that last 20 years go?!
Down the drain?

Somehow I find this sentence incredibly cute.

sapphail
2007-11-23, 09:08 AM
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't looked at this thread now, I feel ancient - I'm going to be 25 in three months! :smalleek: I'm old enough to remeber the bad late 80s pop music on Video Hits, gah...

Inhuman Bot
2007-11-23, 09:41 AM
erk...well I guess I feel young now.... I can remember anything older then 95' because I was born that year. I was feeling old and I'am 12... 12 DAMNIT!!! (it's true that now culture has eleminated swears, and most of it is overviolenced.) In a way now I feel older. I'am a 12 year old who remasinces about his childhood. GAH!

Trog
2007-11-23, 09:42 AM
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't looked at this thread now, I feel ancient - I'm going to be 25 in three months! :smalleek: I'm old enough to remeber the bad late 80s pop music on Video Hits, gah...

Squeeky-squeeky kaFWOOOOOOSH! *Hoses kids off his lawn. Sets up Lawn Gnome Golems to protect the perimeter*

Charity
2007-11-23, 09:46 AM
I'm gunna be dead soon!

Awww, who told him?

Kitya hey I'm 36, and we didn't play 8 tracks, are you from the Isle of Wight or it's American provincial equivalent?
http://www.invectis.co.uk/iow/carad.gif
I do however remember 78's.

Ethdred
2007-11-23, 09:57 AM
Why are so many people using this thread to boast about that fact they're going out with teenagers?

I still can't get over the fact that I don't feel any different from when I was a long haired leather jacket wearing guy who just sat in the student bar chatting to people. How come I'm sat here in this office, doing responsible work, managing people, having to make serious decisions?

This is not my beautiful house, this is not my beautiful wife

Trog
2007-11-23, 10:04 AM
Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

*burns down the house for good measure*

GrayMatter
2007-11-23, 10:36 AM

I'm going to be a quarter-century old in a couple of weeks, and that kinda frightens me. Almost certainly, a quarter of my life is already over.

Well, except for the fact that nobody even has a clue what life is until 15 or so. Up to that time, you're still trying to figure out how to make the various parts of your body and mentality work when you want them to. It's only after you've gotten past that that life really starts to be something you can "live".

So don't feel bad. Chronologically, you're right. But in real terms, you've only been living for 10 years. You've got around 50 more to go, and if medical science delivers on even some of the promises I see in the news.... well, I've got high hopes :)

Oh, and the next twenty years of your life (or double the time you can honestly say you've been living) is something to really look forward to. You see, you've just become a real adult. You're done with the artificial finish line of "growing up", and without that pressure, something interesting happens.

Growing is something that you start to do every day. You don't even have to try. Just being aware of living makes it happen to you.

So from now on, you will face every new day as more of a person that you were yesterday. And every year that passes, you can look back on and say "wow, I'm this much more of a person than I was last year". Cool huh?

Welcome to life as an adult :)

The Bushranger
2007-11-23, 11:02 AM
Bushranger, I've always though you were 15-16. Maybe because of the avatar.
At least I'm still young at heart. :smalltongue:

Interesting trivia-factoid-riddle-question of the day, inspired by some comments in this thread:

He invented the eight-track player, and also created a rather more enduring and famous product.
*Final Jeopardy music*

Jagg
2007-11-23, 11:18 AM
Lets turn this into a game..

What year was I born kiddies? No using tha' new fangled interweb thingie to cheat neither. *shakes stick*

Elvis Presely did a famous concert...in Hawaii on live television

George Foreman defeats Joe Frazier for the heavyweight boxing championship

The IRA bomb the Old Bailey

Pink Floyd release "Dark Side of the Moon"

Robert Metcalfe invents Ethernet

Skylab 2 was launched

The Arab Oil embargo occurs in October

The Saturday Night Massacre occurred

America Gets a new President in November

O.J Simpson became the first running back to rush 2000 yards in a pro football season.

Papua New Guinea gains self Government from Australia.

GO!!

rubakhin
2007-11-23, 11:25 AM

RIVER RAID. I loved that game! I wasn't around when it came out, but I inherited my grandfather's Atari when he died in the late nineties.

You know, I just realized that I can still kinda sorta remember the Soviet Union. At least, I remember the recurring nightmares I had when I was four or so, brought on by a particularly freaky propaganda poster. :smalleek: Fifteen years? That can't be right!

SMEE
2007-11-23, 11:36 AM
Oooh! River Raid. I had lots of fun playing it during 1983 and 1984. Mom was a most skilled player.

And the fun I had with Hero, Pitfall and Pac Man...
Good times, good times.
Which reminds me... I need to find a working MSX II to buy...

Korith
2007-11-23, 12:02 PM
O.J Simpson became the first running back to rush 2000 yards in a pro football season.

Funny for some reason. :smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2007-11-23, 12:10 PM
GO!!

You're 10 years younger than the oldest member of this forum I know of. *grins*

Shadow
2007-11-23, 12:13 PM
Lets turn this into a game..

What year was I born kiddies? No using tha' new fangled interweb thingie to cheat neither. *shakes stick*

Elvis Presely did a famous concert...in Hawaii on live television

George Foreman defeats Joe Frazier for the heavyweight boxing championship

The IRA bomb the Old Bailey

Pink Floyd release "Dark Side of the Moon"

Robert Metcalfe invents Ethernet

Skylab 2 was launched

The Arab Oil embargo occurs in October

The Saturday Night Massacre occurred

America Gets a new President in November

Papua New Guinea gains self Government from Australia.

GO!!*raises hand*

Oooh! Pick me, pick me!
That was 1973. Which would probably make you 34 unless you were born sometime in December.

What was that?

Oh, you wanted the *kids* to play....!
Sorry.

And it was 2003 yards if memory serves.
Which, when dealing with football, it usually does.

The Bushranger
2007-11-23, 12:13 PM
He invented the eight-track player, and also created a rather more enduring and famous product.
*Final Jeopardy music*

*Final Jeopardy music ends*
Any guesses anyone?

Shadow
2007-11-23, 12:20 PM
*Final Jeopardy music ends*
Any guesses anyone?
Oooh. I'd have to do a search on that one, and that kind of feels like cheating on a trivia question.

Trog
2007-11-23, 12:20 PM
Oooos! Pitfall! LOVED that game. Also loved Vanguard. And Yar's Revenge. And MegaMania, and... er... well... all of em. Except Pac Man for the Atari. Worst. Graphics. Evar. Though I can still remember the sounds from it.

Ahhh... the good old days.

Oh, and my first video game? Pong. Yep. Friggin pong.

Shadow
2007-11-23, 12:25 PM
Ahhh... the good old days.

Oh, and my first video game? Pong. Yep. Friggin pong.
Trog, check this out! (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/pong)

*warning*

This game becomes extremely addictive.
May cause insomnia.

V Junior
2007-11-23, 12:28 PM
I feel your pain(s) guys. Everyone in my year at my secondary (BRITISH AND PROUD OF IT), they're all chatting about boys and stuff, they're b****ing about eachother, watching stuff DESIGNED FOR 8 YEAR OLDS (coughhighschoolmusicalcough), and acting about 5 years younger then their actual age. And then there's me, my friend Mdh and my cousin Izz. ACTING OUR AGE!

I'm actually one of the youngest in the year, being born late in July, but I feel like one of the oldest, and it's tearing me up. My ex-friend Ktz is now being nasty to me because I'm 'acting like a grown-up, go enjoy your kid years', when she's stuck in her primary school years.

[/rant]

Trog
2007-11-23, 12:57 PM

*warning*

May cause insomnia.

Gah! The 3-D hurts Trog's eyes! Tis unnatural! Burn it Trog sez!

*gets torch, pitchfork*

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-23, 01:16 PM
I'm actually one of the youngest in the year, being born late in July, but I feel like one of the oldest, and it's tearing me up. My ex-friend Ktz is now being nasty to me because I'm 'acting like a grown-up, go enjoy your kid years', when she's stuck in her primary school years.

[/rant]
I diagnose Irritable (Lack of) Vowel Syndrome.

hyperfreak497
2007-11-23, 01:52 PM
Don't know what's wrong with you other teenagers *cough Dallas-Dakota cough cough*, but I'm fourteen and I still feel young. Kids younger than me that don't understand who I am aren't more advanced than me. They just haven't grown into the advancement that I've attained.

EDIT:

*warning*

May cause insomnia.

Oh, crap. That made me feel old. I got addicted to that game five years ago :smallfrown:

Hannes
2007-11-23, 03:08 PM
1987... I don't really believe I existed back then, even as a potential child. Seriously.

The Bushranger
2007-11-23, 03:15 PM
Well, since nobody took a guess... :smallannoyed:

Bill Lear invented the eight-track, but is better known for another product of his. You may have heard of it; small business airplane, two jet engines, remains popular.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/thumb/8/85/Learjet_24_der_Nasa.jpg/300px-Learjet_24_der_Nasa.jpg

Winterwind
2007-11-23, 03:37 PM
Hmmm, something must be wrong with me.
I'm 24, and I still feel young. Oh, sure, I still remember the thrill of playing Commander Keen (the very first episode, mind you), because it was so colourful (heck, it had EGA graphics with as much as 16 colours!!! :smalleek: ) compared to all the games I had seen up to then - most of them still using ASCII signs instead of graphics - but that doesn't mean that I feel somehow very much more grown up or older or wiser or anything than, say, ten years ago. All it means is that I have seen a bit more than a few other people. Big deal - some people travel around the world at a much younger age, and have seen many things I haven't seen even now.

Extra_Crispy
2007-11-24, 06:20 AM
I think I fit into the little older group. In about a month I will be 33. The only time I feel old is when I am reminded of it. Like when I was in nursing school and alot of the other students could not come to a bar because they were not old enough to drink.

Talking with another nurse here, she was telling me that she has been a nurse for 2-3 years now. She is only 25. I just graduated as an RN.

Lets see my father bought a 1973 Chevy Vega in 1975 very shortly after I was born. Still owns that car. MOST if not all of you probably have never even heard of a Vega, just like alot of people I talk to. It was way before their time.

This whole subject is starting to make me feel old. I even remember playing D&D BASIC. Though it was not new when I started, I think Expert rules were out but we started with basic.

My first game system was the atarii. Used to play that for hours. Loved Adventure. The first computer system I had was a Tandi. Which was basically a floppy drive that you hooked to a monitor, black and white of course. It ran off 5 and 1/4 floppy disks with no hard drive so you had to boot it with disks in it for it to display anything.

My first car was a 1975 Vega that my father and I rebuilt and I remember paying 80 cents a gallon. Now it is $3. Time to stop this is getting depressing.:smallfrown:

Dallas-Dakota
2007-11-24, 10:04 AM
Don't know what's wrong with you other teenagers *cough Dallas-Dakota cough cough*, but I'm fourteen and I still feel young. Kids younger than me that don't understand who I am aren't more advanced than me. They just haven't grown into the advancement that I've attained.

Dude,
1 I dont feel like an adult
2 What you got to understand, my life is very stressful
3 The kids of my class just act like 8-year olds, thats whats making me feel 'older'

Jagg
2007-11-24, 07:21 PM
Yes Indeed I was born in 1973...and I still feel young. With the possible exception of when I have a strenuous day and wake up making grandad noises getting out of bed.

Why you may ask?

Does the old man pose about to pass on wisdom... Or at least the rubbish that looks like wisdom if not examined too closely.

1) I have a fun job...stressful...but still fun. Find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life.

2) Work hard...play hard. ALWAYS make time for fun. All work and no play makes you old.

3) I am naturally gifted with a very fast metabolism. I can still eat my weight in icecream every three months and don't put on weight. (my wife doesn't like this about me).

4) I have a six year old daughter. When you have kids suddenly whole areas of fun open up that you had forgotten from your own childhood. Of course I didn't do ballerina tea parties when I was six so it's all new to me anyways. :smallbiggrin:

Have fun kids

Holocron Coder
2007-11-25, 01:10 AM
Alright, no looking at my profile or online to find this answer :smallbiggrin:

I was born the day of Chernobyl.

When? :smallcool:

Jagg
2007-11-25, 04:55 AM
Which means that you were born in April '86. Thats as close as I can remember. I was 12 when it happened.

Holocron Coder
2007-11-25, 12:38 PM
Which means that you were born in April '86. Thats as close as I can remember. I was 12 when it happened.

Yup :smallbiggrin:

Alarra
2007-11-25, 12:57 PM
I rarely feel old. I think part of that is because I am so often hanging out with people older than me. And also because, really, compared to other 26 year olds....I haven't really done much with my life. I haven't a job, I haven't a house, I haven't started a family. I'm still in school where I'd stay forever if I could afford to....yeah...I'm still pretty young in most respects.

Although, with regards to the 'time flying' thing. Earlier this week I was filling out a form that asked for my age and I put 23. I went on to a couple more questions before coming back to it, smacking myself and going..."You're 26!" 3 years clearly went by there without me really noticing....

And cause I want to seem a little old....The only gaming system I have is an SNES and I looooove pong. :smallwink:

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-25, 01:17 PM
Don't know about Pong, but I'm still obsessed with Repton :) Fortunately, the company that produces it is willing to pay me for designing levels for them, so I can get money doing something I love.

sktarq
2007-11-26, 07:41 PM
Know the fealing-suddenly feeling old. Someone asked me recently when the first time I went on the internet what website it was. I can't remember the name but I remember that Prodigy didn't support .gif, .pic., or .jpg files for another three maybe six months. I guess I was part of the last kids who grew up thinking about the cold war, in part because a classmate was from St. Petersburg and how much that has seperated me from kids younger than me. Even in an era of gladnost and peratroika (sp) there was the concept of world ending war at any second. Funny but I remember how important people thought international news was back then.
Those times I realize my date is younger than my car are always age check inducing.

Oh And I remember seeing Chernobyl on the News and in the Papers....yes I was reading the papers when I was that age (4) (I don't know if I remembered much from the paper but I remember telling mom it happened and being told to go fetch dad-odd memories)

Kiero
2007-11-26, 08:08 PM

Two and a bit, I'll be 28 in four weeks. I'm not so fussed about my 20s, lots of learning, lots of fun, but I'm glad I'm settled down now. Hoping to have at least one child by the time I hit the big 3-0.

Old_Man
2007-11-27, 10:35 AM
Woaaa. If you pups are feeling old about 1987, do I even want to think about what I was up to in '77? It could be worse; there is probably someone here who remembers '67.

Rogue 7
2007-11-27, 11:48 AM
Born in 89, and I still use 2000 as the base date for anything in the past- my automatic assumption is that, if something took place in, say, 75, it's 25 years old, not the 32 it really is.

Y'all will make me feel young with this, but...

I remember when the N64 came out.
Games for MS DOS were the ****e.
I can't believe that I ever survived without the internet.

Zeb The Troll
2007-11-27, 12:28 PM
Woaaa. If you pups are feeling old about 1987, do I even want to think about what I was up to in '77? It could be worse; there is probably someone here who remembers '67.I know what I was up to in '77. I was watching Star Wars and Smokey And The Bandit. :smallcool:

I think Bor might have been around in '67, but I somehow doubt he remembers it. I don't think I've run across anyone here that would have any recollections that far back.

Trog
2007-11-27, 12:44 PM
I know what I was up to in '77. I was watching Star Wars and Smokey And The Bandit. :smallcool:

In the theaters! For a dollar! That's right! One dollar! Couldn't get it on video because... the VCR hadn't been invented yet! I went to see Star Wars once a week for weeks on end. It was "held over" for over a year. :smallcool:

*is old. doesn't care* :smalltongue:

Old_Man
2007-11-27, 12:49 PM
In the theaters! For a dollar! That's right! One dollar!

Where were you seeing it? I had to pay $3. Had to return a lot of Coke bottles in order to go each week.

EDIT: *reads Trog and mumbles to self* stupid Chicago... big rip off... could have seen Star Wars 3 times as often in Wisco... money grubbing theater jerks... could have had some curds too

Trog
2007-11-27, 12:59 PM
Where were you seeing it? I had to pay $3. Had to return a lot of Coke bottles in order to go each week.

Spooooooky Wisconsin Theatres. :smalltongue: They were charging a lot less than they did in bigger cities I'm guessing. Or maybe it was the kid's Saturday matinee price. *shrug* I just remember paying a buck and seeing it somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen times.

Dang it! Now I want a bottle of Coke! :smallannoyed: *trudges out to grocery store*

Dwarkanath
2007-11-27, 07:08 PM
Heh, reminded me of a line in the Star Wars spoof, Hardware Wars:

"You'll Laugh! You'll Cry! You'll Kiss three bucks good-bye!"

-- Dave

Trog
2007-11-27, 07:12 PM
Heh, reminded me of a line in the Star Wars spoof, Hardware Wars:

"You'll Laugh! You'll Cry! You'll Kiss three bucks good-bye!"

-- Dave

I saw that in second grade. I laughed at that line because I thought: "OMG Movies don't cost THAT much!" Ahhh youth.

Charity
2007-11-28, 02:57 AM
Spooooooky Wisconsin Theatres. :smalltongue: They were charging a lot less than they did in bigger cities I'm guessing. Or maybe it was the kid's Saturday matinee price. *shrug* I just remember paying a buck and seeing it somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen times.

Dang it! Now I want a bottle of Coke! :smallannoyed: *trudges out to grocery store*

When I was a nipper, our local cinema saturday matinee was free. They used to run it to let people go shopping without their kids getting in the way, imagine that, a company actually providing a free service!
It soon stopped when talkies came along...

sapphail
2007-11-28, 08:15 AM
Yeehaa! Pitfall! I haven't played that in years, Sapphail seeks Pitfall! :smallbiggrin:

Aah, it doesn't seem like that long ago. Anything before about 1995 feels like last week.

Zeb The Troll
2007-11-28, 08:58 AM
Okay, so we've established that many of us remember the old Atari hits (yay, Pitfall! booo, Pitfall 2!). My favorite game around that time was a computer game called Loderunner. Does anyone remember that?

Korith
2007-11-28, 09:27 AM
I remember seeing it. Don't think I ever played.

It was Sierra/Dynamix, wasn't it?

Zeb The Troll
2007-11-28, 09:42 AM
I remember seeing it. Don't think I ever played.

It was Sierra/Dynamix, wasn't it?I thought it was Broderbund, but it might have been Sierra.

The Bushranger
2007-11-28, 09:51 AM
Brøderbund sure made some great games, didn't they?

Zar Peter
2007-11-28, 10:46 AM
I thought it was Broderbund, but it might have been Sierra.

Loderunner.... this little man running around falling into holes. I think I played it.
My first computer was a Sinclair Spectrum. We connected it with the tape recorder to save self-made games :smallcool: .

Anyone remember the Castles of Dr. Creep? I think it was a C64 game.

Korith
2007-11-28, 10:59 AM
I stand corrected (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lode_Runner).

Thexder...now there was a game.

Trog
2007-11-28, 10:59 AM
We connected it with the tape recorder to save self-made games :smallcool: .

Oh man. Yeah. I did that too. I had an ATARI 2600 computer. Had the most advanced graphics available at the time. Remember Superman 3 with Richard Pryor? That scene where the computer is firing at Superman as he flies through the canyon that was all videogame-y? Done on that model computer.

I tried making games too, by messing around with Basic (which you had to load off a cartridge... no hard drives back then :smalltongue: ) but the furthest I ever got was getting a guy to move around the screen when I moved the joystick. :smallsigh:

Old_Man
2007-11-28, 11:44 AM
Lode Runner - running around, climbing ladders, and avoiding (or trapping) robots. My friends and I played Lode Runner a lot, but on the C64. It was good because, one, we could make our own levels, and two, it was on a 5 ¼ disk. His other games were on cassette tape, and they took forever to load. Fear the robots and hate the tape!

the.weasely.one
2007-11-28, 03:58 PM
Well I may not rememebr a lot from '67 itself that was a couple years after getting my tonsils out and I rememebr some of that quite vividly.

I do remember getting our first video game console around 73-75 - Odessey console with Pong. Still have it packed away somewhere. and it worked as of a year or 2 ago.

MythAdvocate
2007-12-02, 06:53 AM
Age of the flesh, as far as it relates to WHO you are, is irrelevant. I have met far too many fools and too few wise folk to find that one or the other has anything to do with the time they have spent in this vale of tears we call life.

I am 35 years old, and I have seen many sad and wondrous things. I have had my heart broken, been loved truly, watched loved ones die inside of grief and madness, seen glory, terror, death and hope. What can these things do but grow the tale of me longer and deeper.

I will not complain. Theres still far more to tell in this story...

"It is good to sit where the good tales go,
To sit as our fathers sat;
But the hour shall come after his youth,
When a man shall know not tales but truth,
And his heart fail thereat.

When he shall read what is written
So plain in clouds and clods,
When he shall hunger without hope
Even for evil gods.

For this is a heavy matter,
And the truth is cold to tell;
Do we not know, have we not heard,
The soul is like a lost bird,
The body a broken shell.
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of The White Horse.

MandibleBones
2007-12-02, 09:28 AM
I started feeling old when I caught myself telling the kids outside my apartment building "Hey you kids, get off my lawn!" and then grumbling "Don't you have school or something?"

No kidding, it actually happened.

I feel old when 2nd Lieutenants are younger than me. I really feel old when (AF) staff sergeants and 1st Lieutenants are younger than me or my same age.

I feel old when I see the cartoons of my childhood showing up on "retro" t-shirts.

I feel old when I say "And now you know," and none of the other military members know the proper response because they missed out on G.I. Joe as children.

loopy
2007-12-05, 08:57 AM
I feel old when I say "And now you know," and none of the other military members know the proper response because they missed out on G.I. Joe as children.

And knowing is half the battle!

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-05, 09:26 AM
I've been in the US Navy my entire adult life, one month after birthday number eighteen, I was in boot camp. I got my draft card in the mail shortly before the week most people in my division were undergoing firearms training (I was one of the unfortunate few confined to my rack beacuese of - get this - oral surgery. I'd rather be training).

Today, I've been foward-deployed in Japan for just shy of a year. This is my first command). So, I'm only nineteen.
My Command's Master Chief walks onto the watchfloor and says:
"Wow, I just relised that twenty-three years ago, today, I graduated Boot Camp."

He immidiatly asked us where we were twenty-three years ago.
Two of us Weren't even a dirty thought in our dad's minds, yet.
There were three other people on the floor.

That has got to have made him feel old.

~~~

As for me, there have been many days that I've looked back at my life and felt old. It all started about a year and a half ago.
When I graduated High School.
I feel really guilty about that whenever something such as the situation above with the CMC happens.

AtomicKitKat
2007-12-17, 10:46 AM
Pah. Everyone gets that around the quarter century mark. Right now I'm involved in an online dancing game and I find out that half of the girls I'm dancing with are younger than the King of Fighters franchise(The first KoF game was in 1994...). What's scarier is that at my current rate(I suspect I'm a Half-Elf. My rate of maturation seems to fit.), I'll probably wind up marrying a girl half my age when I'm 50.:smalleek:

Ranna
2007-12-17, 11:22 AM
i think a nice way to stay young is to forget things more, if u remember what u were up to in '77 then u will feel old :)

another way to feel young is to skip alot, thats what i do but then again i am only 20 so i am still young

EDIT: you know thinking aobut it, maybe skipping works only for girls :smalleek:

Korith
2007-12-17, 12:12 PM
EDIT: you know thinking aobut it, maybe skipping works only for girls :smalleek:

At the heart of it is some really good advice, though.

Stay in good shape, and you won't slow down as much. Don't slow down as much, and you won't feel so old.

Narmoth
2007-12-17, 12:59 PM
Those times I realize my date is younger than my car are always age check inducing.

well, my brothers care is older than me, and I might very well buy another fo the same model (volvo 740, 1985) so I might very well end up dating girls younger than my car, and it wouldn't really say anything of the age difference
Of course, if it's a new car....