PDA

View Full Version : help me max out pf1e mindblade magus attacks and some optimization

Zenith123
2022-01-10, 04:03 AM
Hey all,

I'm trying to wrap my head around pf1e magus multiple attacks.

I understand the spellcombat idea is working like twf.
Mindblade however got some unclear rules about it.
Can I use a scimitar in one hand, a psychic light weapon in the other (or even a shield?) - and still get the free spellstrike attack ? (Provided I precast chill touch)

Is there any good multiclass for it ?
One / two level dip into bloodrager ? Psychic warrior?

I'm building a toon as a level 5 character.

So far I'm thinking

Race: tiefling (for the bite attack)
Bloodrager 1 (steelblood) + x bloodline /magus4 (mindblade)

Feats wise, can I take improved two weapon fighting from the get go or do I need to invest in it?
Will a shield bash be a good alternative as a second attack ?

Your feedback / opinion is appreciated

Zenith

Kurald Galain
2022-01-10, 04:43 AM
Here you go, Magus guide (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus).

Can I use a scimitar in one hand, a psychic light weapon in the other (or even a shield?) - and still get the free spellstrike attack ? (Provided I precast chill touch)
It is unclear from your question if you're talking about spell combat or spellstrike since you mention both. What is it exactly?

I'm not sure why you would dip into bloodrager considering you can't cast while raging. Furthermore, you can't use a bite attack in spell combat, nor does ITWF stack with spell combat.

Zenith123
2022-01-10, 04:59 AM
Thanks for a quick reply!

I'll try to rephrase.
I'm trying to get the highest multiattack possible using spellstrike.

Natural attacks used to work with spell strike no?
Like the calikang x6 natural attacks using montrous physique 3.
Or does it have to use natural spell strike arcana now?

My idea was:

Precasting chill touch for 5 charges (level 5)

1 melee attack + spell strike

Free* spellstrike
Bite as a secondary attack highest bab -5

Can we add a 4th attack using twf?

Kurald Galain
2022-01-10, 05:59 AM
Or does it have to use natural spell strike arcana now?
The arcana is natural spell combat. Not spellstrike. Yes, you can spellstrike on natural attacks.

With chill touch precast, you can TWF/ITWF normally and have the bite at -5, but you don't get a free spellstrike.

When casting chill touch in that round, you get a free spellstrike and can make one attack with spell combat (plus iteratives), but no bite (unless you take natural spell combat).
Generally speaking, this is the better option for a Magus.

Zenith123
2022-01-10, 06:14 AM
I meant frostbite - that's the one that gets a charge per level.
Sorry for the confusion.

I don't understand why I can't get the bite attack in this case.

According to the monster rules (does it also apply to our Toons?)
The armed attacks (weapons) are primary
And the bite is a natural attack, hence a secondary attack.

I know spell combat is a full round action - then, sure. I can't use the bite attack.
But if we precast (again, sorry for the confusion) frostbite - which gives us at level 5, five uses of the spell per cast -> can we then use
Twf /itwf + bite + *free attack ?
Or have I made a salad?

Kurald Galain
2022-01-10, 06:55 AM
But if we precast (again, sorry for the confusion) frostbite - which gives us at level 5, five uses of the spell per cast -> can we then use
Twf /itwf + bite + *free attack ?
Or have I made a salad?
Frostbite and Chill Touch both work the same way.

You get the free attack when you cast the spell. Not in a later round. So you go TWF/ITWF + bite.

Zenith123
2022-01-10, 07:02 AM
So it doesn't matter in this case if I hold a charge or not ?

So I cast the spell with spell combat, taking -2 to all attacks.
This gives me, two attacks at -2 + bite.

Then, in the following round, I dont cast, this time I take the full round action to attack using twf/itwf.
Which means, bab -2, bab -2, bonus baby at -7 (from itwf) and a bite attack.

Did I get it right ?

To accomplish all this, I still have to take twf + itwf
For mind blade - can I ignore the hand with the psychic weapon for casting ?
Or for this example to maximize our spellstrike, is it better to use a shield as a weapon ? ( Which means I forget about the ac bonus if I decide to Cast for that round )

btw for your question before, why bloodrager:
It will give us the Heavy armor proficiency which we can use with the mindblade archetype - and maybe even Bloodline familiar for extra shenanigans.
The other option is to go Fighter for the extra feat.

Thank you for your quick responses!

Kurald Galain
2022-01-11, 04:32 AM
Did I get it right ?
Yes, except the bite is always at -5 when you make weapon attacks, and that you cannot take ITWF yet (it requires BAB +6).

Bear in mind that with spell combat, you make two attacks with the same weapon, whereas with TWF you make two attacks with two different weapons.

For mind blade - can I ignore the hand with the psychic weapon for casting ?
You get that ability at level 7.

Or for this example to maximize our spellstrike, is it better to use a shield as a weapon ?
No, because you don't get the AC bonus if you attack with it either. So you get the AC bonus basically never. Besides, the magus is not proficient with shields.