PDA

View Full Version : DS Sorc’s bloodline source

RSP
2022-01-10, 08:28 AM
So I have this DS Sorc that, for RP, is basically made to operate as a frontline melee tank.

He tends to Subtle his spells to hide his ability to cast and his known spells are selected to enhance melee fighting (SB, Mage Armor, Shield, Aid, Cure Wounds, See Invisibility at 4th).

Only issue is I haven’t decided on a good source for his power (and fully believe Sorcerer’s powers should reflect their source: Elsa’s a great example - everything is kept on theme, and she’s not an Ice Sorcerer throwing around Fireballs).

We’re set in Forgotten Realms, but I don’t know the Gods there horribly well and whatever the source is, it should make sense with his abilities.

My default is Tempus, but looking for other ideas as “guy who likes fighting is powered by God of Fighting” isn’t the most interesting development.

(Note: I’m fine with adding spells that don’t fit the “melee frontliner” theme if they make sense for the source - like adding select Domain spells from a deity, if that’s the source.)

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Naanomi
2022-01-10, 09:26 AM
Helm, God of Guardians?
Ilmater, God of Martyrs?
The Red Knight, Goddess of Strategy?
Uthgar, God of {being a barbarian}?

Waukeen, Goddess of Wealth (including mercenaries)?
Tymora, Goddess of Luck (and adventurers)?
Hoar, God of Revenge?

What race are you? Most have at least one war-god equivalent in their pantheon

GooeyChewie
2022-01-10, 09:28 AM
This choice is primarily a roleplay choice, which is where I find alignments do actually help (if you treat them as descriptors and not as straight-jackets).

Any War domain deity would work for the concept. There are four such Forgotten Realms deities in the PHB:

Bane, god of tyranny (LE) - This one works if you want to impose your will on others.
Tempus, god of war (N) - This one works if nothing else suits your fancy.
Torm, god of courage and self-sacrifice (LG) - This one works if you take the front lines to protect others.
Tyr, god of justice (LG) - This one works if you are adventuring to punish evil.

There are a few non-War domain deities which could also work:

Bhaal, god of murder (NE; Death) - This one works if you want to be a murderhobo.
Helm, god of protection (LN, Life, Light) - The god of guardians and sentinels, similar to Torm but more out of duty than compassion.

Psyren
2022-01-10, 09:51 AM
My default is Tempus, but looking for other ideas as “guy who likes fighting is powered by God of Fighting” isn’t the most interesting development.

Just to note, you don't have to be empowered by one specific deity (or any deity at all) to be a DS. The subclass description states:

"Sometimes the spark of magic that fuels a sorcerer comes from a divine source that glimmers within the soul. Having such a blessed soul is a sign that your innate magic might come from a distant but powerful familial connection to a divine being. Perhaps your ancestor was an angel, transformed into a mortal and sent to fight in a god's name. Or your birth might align with an ancient prophecy, marking you as a servant of the gods or a chosen vessel of divine magic."

So you could descend from, say, a valkyrie or a leonal or a solar; some celestial being that is known for loving martial combat, but that doesn't necessarily follow just one deity's dogma. You could also just be a vessel for any deity that reveres battle; That gives you the flexibility to channel Tempus or Tyr some days, the Red Knight on others, and even Garagos or Gruumsh when you're going all-out.

As for good spells, an obvious choice from the cleric list is Spirit Guardians. This is great for a frontline caster as you'll be in the thick of it, and thus impeding enemy movements while damaging multiple foes without costing any actions. Spiritual Weapon is great too for dealing damage every round without needing your concentration, and hitting enemies both close and far away. Both are thematically appropriate for a "battle sorcerer" as well, and keeping both going still leaves your action available for attacks or additional spells.

Warder
2022-01-10, 09:53 AM
I like Valkur! He's one of Tempus' exarchs, grants the War domain, but focuses on naval warfare. He's the god of sailors. Otherwise I give a +1 to Naanomi's Red Knight suggestion, she's pretty great and another exarch of Tempus.

paladinn
2022-01-10, 10:07 AM
Just to note, you don't have to be empowered by one specific deity (or any deity at all) to be a DS. The subclass description states:

"Sometimes the spark of magic that fuels a sorcerer comes from a divine source that glimmers within the soul. Having such a blessed soul is a sign that your innate magic might come from a distant but powerful familial connection to a divine being. Perhaps your ancestor was an angel, transformed into a mortal and sent to fight in a god's name. Or your birth might align with an ancient prophecy, marking you as a servant of the gods or a chosen vessel of divine magic."

So you could descend from, say, a valkyrie or a leonal or a solar; some celestial being that is known for loving martial combat, but that doesn't necessarily follow just one deity's dogma. You could also just be a vessel for any deity that reveres battle; That gives you the flexibility to channel Tempus or Tyr some days, the Red Knight on others, and even Garagos or Gruumsh when you're going all-out.

As for good spells, an obvious choice from the cleric list is Spirit Guardians. This is great for a frontline caster as you'll be in the thick of it, and thus impeding enemy movements while damaging multiple foes without costing any actions. Spiritual Weapon is great too for dealing damage every round without needing your concentration, and hitting enemies both close and far away. Both are thematically appropriate for a "battle sorcerer" as well, and keeping both going still leaves your action available for attacks or additional spells.

This. A DS works well if descended from a celestial of some sort, but it doesn't have to be an actual deity. A celestial on a mission to destroy evil can pass that down to his/her offspring.

If you're looking to be a front-line fighter, I seriously suggest you MC at least a bit into paladin (I would say Vengeance oath) and/or hexblade warlock.

RSP
2022-01-10, 11:56 AM
I’m aware, and wasn’t ruling out, the possibility of a non-deity as the source. At one point I toyed with a Coutl as the source, though never really fell in love with anything coming out of that: character isn’t lawful, and any sort of link to a single devoted idea (as I understand Coutls are: they’re assigned a duty and singlemindedly adhere to it) never felt great.

I like the Red Lady idea and the Torm suggestion; will look into these more.

The character is a NG half elf. He came from a farmstead outside Goldenfields (where he spent his entire life - he’s about 17) and traveled to Waterdeep to pursue his dream of being a fighter/martial combatant. Drew inspiration from Rand and Mat from Wheel of Time (books not the Amazon series), for the farm boy turned adventurer theme.

Red Lady seems to point towards a more Mat Cauthon theme. He definitely likes using strategy in a fight (cover, grappling when appropriate), but doesn’t really seem to be any sort of general or large scale tactician (than again, neither was Mat).

Idea is his powers are geared to being a frontline martial, as that’s what he’s always wanted to be. They tend to be reactive as well (Shadow Blade only came into play in the game world after his short sword was ruined by a Rust Monster; See Invis hasn’t been used yet but was chosen after we leveled, after a protracted combat that involved two invisible creatures: his body/the magic adapted to counter that situation next time it occurs). Something along the lines of the magic letting him do what he wants, based off the situations he finds himself in.

He also has no clue what’s going on with these abilities (Subtle regularly used as a way to sidestep him “casting”).

Again, I’m only for him having more obviously magical abilities (like Hypnotic Pattern or Fireball) if they fall in line with the source.

Thanks again for the suggestions so far!

Naanomi
2022-01-10, 12:02 PM
I like Valkur! He's one of Tempus' exarchs
Exarch is a 4e concept that doesn't appear to have transferred to 5e. Valkur is fun though

RSP
2022-01-10, 12:04 PM
If you're looking to be a front-line fighter, I seriously suggest you MC at least a bit into paladin (I would say Vengeance oath) and/or hexblade warlock.

A Paladinn suggesting more paladin?

Not going to take either of those multiclasses. The character came up as a theory to see if a Sorc can replicate a frontliner and dipping would just throw that out. Stats were Con=Dex>Cha.

We play Sorcerers (and only Sorcerers) use Spell Point Variant.

My thinking is he can Shield to increase his frontline ability, as opposed to dropping higher level spells that affect more of the battlefield.

So far that’s worked out fine: Cure Wounds is like Second Wind, Quicken like Action Surge (or Extra Attack as more SPs are available). Mage Armor + Extended + 18 Dex =17 AC, pre-Shield, when needed. Aid helps up the HP total.

Only 4th level so far, but, again, it’s working and I see no reason to change.

Psyren
2022-01-10, 12:43 PM
Again, I’m only for him having more obviously magical abilities (like Hypnotic Pattern or Fireball) if they fall in line with the source.

Do Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon align with this concept for you? How about Booming Blade or GFB?

Also, what are your ability scores? That can help us with additional spell selections (e.g. picking ones that don't care about Cha if that's not your focus, like Haste. Actually, get Haste anyway.)

Need help with metamagic selection?

RSP
2022-01-10, 02:02 PM
Do Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon align with this concept for you? How about Booming Blade or GFB?

Also, what are your ability scores? That can help us with additional spell selections (e.g. picking ones that don't care about Cha if that's not your focus, like Haste. Actually, get Haste anyway.)

Need help with metamagic selection?

He’s used BB and GFB (he’s a half elf - with the Variant Wood Elf Elven Weapon Training feature, however, in-game he just assumes the cantrips come from some relation to High Elves in his past). However, as we’re only level 4, there’s only situational reasons to use either; usually he’ll just attack with his Short Sword, at times Dual Wielding with a second SS.

SW could come into play in the future. SG is a possibility- though this probably depends on source (leaning towards Torm but any War domain deity could work).

I prefer SB to Haste due to what happens if Conc is lost, and he’ll def be on the frontlines taking the occasional shot.

Metamagics are (with Metamagic Adept at 4): Subtle, Extended, Quicken and Transmuted.

Rolled for stats, and rolled well (with Tasha’s floating +1, +1, +2):

Str 16 Dex 18 Con 18 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 13

Forewent Cha for Str as he’s a 17-year-old hunter/tracker/farmer/outdoorsman type, and I didn’t want the self-assuredness of a higher Cha. Also, as stated, wasn’t horribly concerned with spell DC for the build.

Edit: decided to go with Torm: thanks for the advice!