PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.5 ordained champion HELP

MasterSensei
2022-01-10, 11:29 AM
HI, as a Ordained Champion i have the feat "Channel Spell" that allows me to cast ANY spells in my melee weapon.
With this feat can i cast a metamagic spell in the weapon?

Example: I want to cast a Shivering touch with the metamagic feat Twinned spell in my flail...

Is it Legal ?!

Wildstag
2022-01-10, 11:55 AM
Yes, but there are better metamagics. The way channel spell works is that it transfers the spell held in the weapon to the target hit by the weapon. So yes, you could channel Shivering Touch (with metamagic).

I'm not entirely certain how Twin Spell would work with Channel Spell, but at the very least you could Empower or Maximize a spell and channel it. I imagine Twinned Enervation would be fun if the metamagic worked. It does say "any spell you have available", though why you'd have arcane on an ordained champion is beyond me.

bean illus
2022-01-10, 12:58 PM
Here's the errata for the Ordained Champion:

Page 91 – Channel Spell
[Substitution]
(Su) should follow the class feature
name, not (Sp).
[Revision]
The first two sentences should
instead read, “At 3rd level, you can
channel any spell available to you
that has one creature or more as its
target into your melee weapon. Doing
so requires a move action and uses
up a spell slot or a prepared spell
of casting time no greater than one
standard action.”

I believe that, yes you can use shivering touch with channel spell. It's a bit more costly, since OCh loses levels.

Shivering touch is easy to get with the Divine Magician ACF.

Jervis
2022-01-10, 01:53 PM
Yes, but there are better metamagics. The way channel spell works is that it transfers the spell held in the weapon to the target hit by the weapon. So yes, you could channel Shivering Touch (with metamagic).

I'm not entirely certain how Twin Spell would work with Channel Spell, but at the very least you could Empower or Maximize a spell and channel it. I imagine Twinned Enervation would be fun if the metamagic worked. It does say "any spell you have available", though why you'd have arcane on an ordained champion is beyond me.

Sha’ir qualifies with some work. Also 90% sure there’s a domain with it, and if there isn’t costumize domain lets you get it on there

Wildstag
2022-01-10, 03:37 PM
Sha’ir qualifies with some work. Also 90% sure there’s a domain with it, and if there isn’t costumize domain lets you get it on there

Okay, so hear me out: Ordained Champion is actually pretty lax with its requirements. Magic Weapon is a first level cleric spell. You can enter with a Wiz3/Clr1 and progress 3 levels. I'd go Wiz3/Clr1/OrdCh3/AbjCh5/MysTh8, probably mixing up between Mystic Theurge and Abjurant Champion I think so I don't delay divine casting too much.

By the end I'd have 8th level arcane spells, 6th level divine spells, 13 BAB, and Fort9/Ref4/Will18 before modifiers. Additionally, 11d4+4d8+5d10 for hit die, so I'd be a flimsy gish.

Channel Spell requires a melee weapon, and weapon finesse would be ideal for not getting hit as a gish. Since I don't think static damage would be the priority, dexterity based weaponry would be a good idea.

I'd also need a lenient GM. The Ordained Champion PrC suggests that you could swap out the Hextor or Heironeous faith requirement for another martial deity. In the past, I've been allowed an Ordained Champion of Corellon, but even he wouldn't fit for this build. I'd need a War god with a Weapon-Finesse-friendly favored weapon.

But in the interest of not derailing the thread, I'll just say it's a bad build but the kind I'd play for some fun low-t2/high-t3 shenanigans. A Twinned Enervation would be fun, but in the end it is only 2d4 negative levels. There's probably a lot of other fun spells to use with it, and at least you have the high level spells of one list and mid level spells of another to play around with.

P.S. I'd also be MAD to high heaven. I could probably get away with 16 Wisdom if I'm mostly using it for buffs. I'd max Intelligence obviously, and probably focus on Dexterity, a 16 at least, for armor and weapon finesse. Constitution would obviously be important, but strength and charisma don't really matter. I've done it before though, and I could probably do it again.

Jervis
2022-01-10, 04:46 PM
Okay, so hear me out: Ordained Champion is actually pretty lax with its requirements. Magic Weapon is a first level cleric spell. You can enter with a Wiz3/Clr1 and progress 3 levels. I'd go Wiz3/Clr1/OrdCh3/AbjCh5/MysTh8, probably mixing up between Mystic Theurge and Abjurant Champion I think so I don't delay divine casting too much.

By the end I'd have 8th level arcane spells, 6th level divine spells, 13 BAB, and Fort9/Ref4/Will18 before modifiers. Additionally, 11d4+4d8+5d10 for hit die, so I'd be a flimsy gish.

Channel Spell requires a melee weapon, and weapon finesse would be ideal for not getting hit as a gish. Since I don't think static damage would be the priority, dexterity based weaponry would be a good idea.

I'd also need a lenient GM. The Ordained Champion PrC suggests that you could swap out the Hextor or Heironeous faith requirement for another martial deity. In the past, I've been allowed an Ordained Champion of Corellon, but even he wouldn't fit for this build. I'd need a War god with a Weapon-Finesse-friendly favored weapon.

But in the interest of not derailing the thread, I'll just say it's a bad build but the kind I'd play for some fun low-t2/high-t3 shenanigans. A Twinned Enervation would be fun, but in the end it is only 2d4 negative levels. There's probably a lot of other fun spells to use with it, and at least you have the high level spells of one list and mid level spells of another to play around with.

P.S. I'd also be MAD to high heaven. I could probably get away with 16 Wisdom if I'm mostly using it for buffs. I'd max Intelligence obviously, and probably focus on Dexterity, a 16 at least, for armor and weapon finesse. Constitution would obviously be important, but strength and charisma don't really matter. I've done it before though, and I could probably do it again.

As a guy that’s finagled his way to double 9s on a fochlocan Lyrist I feel as though a gauntlet has been thrown down. But for Ordained champions that’s not bad. I will say that the text of OC says it only progresses divine casting though so you can’t actually buff wizard with it. I’d personally go something like Southern Magician Sha’ir (Shas count as both divine and arcane casters), go into Ordained Champion, then hop into Skypledged to get access to the Cleric and Druid list on a class with otherwise wizard casting. Loose 2 CL in the process and end up at Sha 4, OC 5, SP 7(all you need for spell pool 3), and AbChamp 4. 16 BAB, 18th level casting from the wizard list with some decent access to Cleric and Druid spells. Probably need energy substitution to use spells with the earth, fire, and water descriptors and said cleric and Druid spells are only PHB unless expanded by the DM. (I’ve personally never had a problem conceiving them to expand it if I put a little work into it in game)

Wildstag
2022-01-10, 05:26 PM
Ah, but then you'd have to be Raptoran.

Jervis
2022-01-10, 05:35 PM
Ah, but then you'd have to be Raptoran.

Oh no, a LA 0 race with a fly speed.

Anthrowhale
2022-01-10, 07:11 PM

Maybe Sha 4/OC 3/SP 8/AbChamp 5? The same BAB, but you lose only 1 level of spellcasting while accessing cleric/druid spells 2 levels earlier and AbChamp a level earlier.

Jervis
2022-01-10, 07:42 PM
Maybe Sha 4/OC 3/SP 8/AbChamp 5? The same BAB, but you lose only 1 level of spellcasting while accessing cleric/druid spells 2 levels earlier and AbChamp a level earlier.
Yeah that’s probably better overall. I just used 5 because it’s in theme for the thread

Anthrowhale
2022-01-10, 11:13 PM
All right, here's another:

Anthorpomorphic Bat Arcane Disciple Cleric (Dragon #311) 4/Ordained Champion 3/Cleric 1/Hexer 9/Cleric 3

Full-1 spell progression, BAB+18, all cleric spells, and access to many chosen sorcerer/wizard spells.

Jervis
2022-01-10, 11:18 PM
All right, here's another:

Anthorpomorphic Bat Arcane Disciple Cleric (Dragon #311) 4/Ordained Champion 3/Cleric 1/Hexer 9/Cleric 3

Full-1 spell progression, BAB+18, all cleric spells, and access to many chosen sorcerer/wizard spells.

Why Hexer 9 and not 10?

Anthrowhale
2022-01-11, 07:07 AM
Why Hexer 9 and not 10?

It's flexible---Arcane Disciple cleric also gives a spell. Perhaps Hexer 10 is better if you are going into epic.