PDA

View Full Version : Index BETA IC - THE "Tone" of Madness - Part 1 - Berserk Beasts

MCollarsen
2022-01-10, 03:12 PM
"Ho! There lads, bring 'er in gently we've come all this way with no damage, be a shame to scratch her now." The captain's call rang clear in the brisk evening air. The sun, no longer visible behind the bulk of the Island of Augury shown just enough light for the "Ashen Mist" to dock at the stone pier. As the various crewman climbed the rigging & swung down from the now bundled sails, the field of figures on the deck still as game pieces for nearly a half hour began to move.

Half a dozen or so figures who'd been clustered on the bow looking out towards the island suddenly sprinted back to the staircase that would take them below deck, their childlike stature belied their nature, each one was barefoot, as halflings tended to be aboard ship. As they disappeared below a chorus of howls suddenly emitted from deck of the ship, the wolves, they'd been caged at the captain's demand for the length of the trip despite their obvious intelligence & obedience.

Across the deck where the remaining two dozen or so figures stood clustered into 5 distinct groups, a man was walking between them giving orders. His dress of a blue robe with a distinct yellow sash across the chest, a purple cloak flowing from the shoulders and an orange turban on his head gave him a chromatic distinction from those around him. He turns pointing at a group of sailors as they were carrying the gangplank towards the side of the ship, he reaches down and retrieves a baton clipped to his belt, he makes a pair of waving motions with the baton, his speak pattern clearly changing to an incantation or verse.

Before your eyes 30 horses appear across the deck, each one fully tacked with a saddle, reins and saddlebags, the ship lurches with the sudden onset of weight tilting away from the stone pier mere feet from the hull. Oi you poxxing son of a whore! Yer gonna capsize my ship if you keep up that idiocy! The captains irritated yell seemed to go unnoticed as the colorful figure gestured again at the gangplank, which having just been secured provided a means of the near listing ship. He barked another command and the figures all hurried to mount the conjured horses.

Before any was ready a scrabbling came from below, with yips of excitement 8 massive wolves leapt forth from bowels of the ship, and made for the gangplank, upon the back of each wolf was a halfling wearing chain shirts, and carrying a war-lance, across the rider's backs were a strangely proportioned shield, a bow and quiver, while a saddle scabbard held a sword and a few throwing javelins. With a few whistles & grunts the troop of little folk & their lupine mounts leapt down the gang plank & took off down the pier.

Over the next minute a procession of riders followed until all but two of the 30 had departed the ship. The turbaned man walked across the deck now still after the departure of the horses & riders, he stopped by the captain, and after a very brief exchange opened a sack at his hip and pulled out a small chest & opened it. Even in the dying light the glint of gold was shown across the captains face, he reached out and took the box, closing it as he did so. He gave the cap solid nod, helped up 3 fingers and turned towards his cabin, the man returned to his horse and remaining companion, both mounted and without nearly as much zeal as the others traversed the gangplank & down the rocky pier.

A minute of so later, the captain having likely deposited his newly acquired chest in his cabin came to the stern castle and opened the door. They're all gone now, sorry to have kept ye in 'er, but I couldn't be risking a fight between you lot during the journey, an' especially when we're tryin' to dock on the stone pier. Couldn't risk my ship or crew in the cross fire of whatever could've been started.
He paused, they aren't happy you lot are here, and I 'spect that some of them wouldn't lose much sleep over seeing you get gutted here.

Island of the Augury - (1) An small cylindrical island in the vast expanse of the Hulkat Ocean the largest known continuous body of water. (2) The island is home to any diviner or fortune teller or predictor of the future, they will tell you the answer to any questions you have for a price. (3) The island is only accessible by ships during a 1 month period each year, due to lunar & thermotic, conditions, the waters recede from the cylindrical island to reveal a cavern that allows visitors to ascend from the sea up the sheer walls of the islands cliffs. (4) Transportation by magical means is blocked by the occupants of the island with most results arriving miles out to sea, while some meriting execution upon arrival. (5) 500gp will gain you entrance to the Island and allow you to ask 2 questions to the Oracles, however after this it is 500 gp for each 2 questions & one cannot ask more than two questions per day.
Group 1 - (1) A group of halfling paladins known as the wolf runners, they are a semi nomadic order that roams the lands addressing problems & crisis. (2) Despite using beasts you've heard of no incidents of them falling victim to the tone.
Group 2 - (1) "The Lodge" - A guild of hunters that rarely kill or hunt anything but the most exotic or dangerous creature. (2) They have in recent years become apt Mage & Bounty Hunters as the challenge of capturing rogue or illicit mages appeals to their interest of a challenging hunt.
Group 3 - (1) "The Last Line" - A mercenary company who became famous by accident when a band of giants attacked a town and were brought down by only a dozen men. (2) They utilize team tactics and coordination to bring down foes rapidly and with minimal bloodshed.
Group 4 - A group of mage-clerics from the church of the "Copper Scales" - the believe everyone man, woman & child should have the chance to balance the scales or his or her life, especially when outside factors influence them. (2) They are hirable to many different factions.
Group 5 -(1) Members of the scarlet choir - a group of marshals, bards and filled with various military leaders and others of renown. (2) They are known for they're cavalry hats with red plumes.
Turban Wearer - Mahir the Mountain - A sorcerer specializing in force magic who garnered a reputation for weigh laying armies by himself at times. He has defended his kingdom for 19 years, and is a champion swordsman as well as.

Taelas
2022-01-10, 04:39 PM
Ashrael steps out onto the deck with a roll of his shoulders. "Think nothing of it, captain," he says, his voice low and soft. "Thank you for your discretion, and for the swift voyage."

He gives a short, stiff bow, then turns to look at the island. So this is Augury...? Hopefully we can find some answers here...

The lycanthrope glances over his shoulder towards the rest of the group.

At the moment, Ashrael is in his human form, that of a man with light skin and unusual, red eyes. He stands just over six feet tall, and is almost as broad across the shoulders. His hair and beard have been shaved in the not-too-distant past, though it has grown enough that his scalp and chin are covered in stubble.

Dusk Raven
2022-01-11, 01:09 PM
Before Gheară can leave, her winter wolf companion bounds out first, eager to be free of the confines of the hold. Not that Gheară had any less of a preference for open sky, but Lupesculu was the bigger of the two, and thus a given enclosed space was even more confining to him. Once out, he promptly stretched, before muttering, "Finally," under his frosty breath.

Close behind him followed a sturdy amazon of a woman. Though dwarfed by the winter wolf, Gheară still stood at nearly six feet, with a build to match. Indeed, were it not for her long, unkempt brown hair, one might have mistaken her for a man. She takes a deep breath of the ocean air, and lets it out with a rough sigh. "I get that," she said simply in response to the captain. Truth be told, she wouldn't have minded a good fight with that group either, but perhaps not on a ship. The captain was right to try and separate them, to want to avoid a fight. It really wasn't that different from being in town, and having to avoid fights in order to keep on the good side of the law.

Of course, Gheară had a feeling the law might not stand in the way of trouble for much longer.

Arael666
2022-01-13, 10:46 AM
Ur-Asim stands up and walks towards the deck "I'm not happy being here either" he says almost growling, and upon realizing his rudeness, lowers his head and adds "thank you for the safe delivery, captain... They are scared for a reason, I don't blame them."

His sparse but colorful vestments, as well as his sizeable pendant adorned with the shape of a woman with a hippopotamus head, reveal the large crocodile man as a man of faith. He slowly walks towards the stony pier, curling his tail and keeping it to his side, giving him a somewhat cowering impression "better get used to it, can't give any reason"

With a sudden realization, Ur-Asim adresses the people who shared the sterncastle with him "ahem.. if you guys don't mind any company, I think we should stick together. For now at least. It'll be less likely for anyone to try and cause trouble and... you know, we kinda all have the same goal, might as well help each other". Ur-Asim, trying to look as friendly as possible slightly opens his mouth (http://20255.maisolution.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/60/2016/10/Beware-of-Smiling-Crocodiles.jpg), as this is as close as he can get to an actual smile.

MCollarsen
2022-01-13, 03:40 PM
The sailors were lighting the lanterns on the deck as you departed, the sulfuric odor of the alchemical matches quickly swept away by the breeze billowing around the island base, in concert with the waves. The stony pier, about as wide as the tunnel it led to, (15') is solid, if not slippery from the layer algae that covered it.

As you proceed into the tunnel the light dims, throwing shadows down it's length though it remains sufficient for you to make out smooth and tooled edges of the carved passage. After a few hundred feat the passage begins to curve to the right and rise, after a full revolution passage opens into a cavernous chamber. A pool located in the center fills most of the cavern, it appears to be clear with a few cloudy sections near the bottom, with the visible sections being a pebbled floor. On both left & right sides of the pool partially built into the wall are a set of gates, built of bone, coral and vines.

You can see a series of figures ahead, between you and the edge of the pool, they are humanoid in appearance, but with grey & bluish hued skin, as you approach closer, you can make out fins on their joints and gills at their necks, with webbing between their fingers and toes.

The tallest of these figures raises a trident and shouts to you. Halt! You must prove yourselves free of the corruption of the mind that wracks your kind' afore we allow you pass thru our domain.

You may prove yourselves in 3 ways. - You may open either gate that borders the pool, such a task is impossible for one of corrupted mind, you may swim freely thru the water that burns to reach the other side, for if you can survive we cannot stop you, or you may meet me in combat of might & mind and I shall declare you worthy!

He stops, a leering smile curling on his lips, Any who fail shall surrender their lives to mine kin for us to do as we'd will. So take heart and heed my word, retreat, begone or be my next kill.

tonberryking
2022-01-14, 05:05 PM
She hadn't wanted to be seen by anyone, especially since she had spent most of the trip a dusky, untalkative leopard. But after thanking the Captain respectfully as was his due, Sina sauntered off the ship in her human guise: a dusky half-elf with long black hair wearing only a cloak and her dark blue leotard, give or take a few accoutrements, and of course, her rapier and sword belt. Barefoot, she pads after the others without a word, only to move in front of them at the sight of the shark men.

She doesn't look impressed.

"You greet us with teeth barred and we have to prove ourselves? Pray tell us, though, do we truly have to merely cross the pools and be granted your clemency to go about our business?" she says with a very much intentional throaty purr to her voice, "We- she is using the "royal we", not speaking for the rest of the crew, "Would not wish to prove our mind's integrity with violence, so please ensure that crossing these waters is permitted..."

I have a way around this, but first, diplomacy: [roll0]
And bluff as she's trying, more or less, to catch Jaws here in his own words, [roll1]

MCollarsen
2022-01-14, 08:38 PM
"WE" he gestures at his companions with his empty hand, live here at the best of the oracles to make sure vagabonds and scum don't ascend to the majesty of the island. Surely one of you mixed heritage can understand someone defending oneself?

As for the trial one who chooses to traverse the lake of cleansing will do so unmolested.

tonberryking
2022-01-14, 08:54 PM
"So only one of us has to cross the water?" she asks a second time.

MCollarsen
2022-01-15, 06:32 PM
Do you speak for them? Will they share your fate should you fail the trial? If so yes, only one need pass, if no, then they must each face their own trial. He grins with malice towards you.

Taelas
2022-01-16, 12:04 AM
Ashrael looks at the fishlike humanoid with a raised eyebrow. "These gates," he asks softly, "what exactly ensures they can't be used by someone who's corrupted?"

He glances at the gates. "Not that I'm suggesting you would deliberately sabotage your so-called 'test' so that anyone would fail," he adds, his tone dry. "Heavens forbid."

They don't have any intention of letting us by at all, no matter how many 'tests' we clear. They're just assuaging their guilty consciences! The thought is laced with bitterness and suspicion.

Dusk Raven
2022-01-16, 03:51 PM
Gheară folds her arms, saying nothing, just weighing her options. With her abilities, the swimming challenge would likely be the easiest - or at least, she knew most what to expect, and therefore she knew what to do about it.

Her thoughts are interrupted by a growl of impatience from Lupesculu. Right, she thinks, Lupesculu wouldn't do as well with swimming. Well...

Finally, she speaks. "I will, at least, speak for my wolf companion." She runs a reassuring hand over Lupesculu as she speaks. "If I pass your swimming challenge, will he be allowed to pass as well?"

MCollarsen
2022-01-16, 10:16 PM
The speaker raises his end as if to give a sniff of disdain, if you speak for the mongrel, then yes he may pass freely, but remember any of his actions & subsequent punishments are to be held by you as well.

Turning to Ashrael, the Oracles would be rather angry with us if we prevented or cheated their clients away, we are here simply to make sure that the scum of the seas doesn't wash up before them.

Turning away he mutters

....Not that it seems to be working much

Taelas
2022-01-17, 04:43 AM
Ashrael's eyes narrow. "Do not think I didn't notice you failed to explain the nature of these gates of yours," he says, anger coloring his voice. "You want a fight? Fine; I'll fight you. Then when I've beaten you until your own mother can't recognize you and the rest of your fellows show your true nature and attack me in return, I'll beat them as well if that's what it takes! Pfah!"

MCollarsen
2022-01-17, 02:47 PM
The speaker chuckles again and gestures for his companions at Ashrael, "It seems this one doesn't even need the excuse of the so-called "Tone" to turn to his baser instincts". He walks to a 40' semi circle of stones slightly elevated above the rest of the pebbles surrounding the pool, the half circle extends from the edges of the pool.

"The rules are simple man-mongrel, she" he gestures to one of his companions, a female based on her clothing, though the physiological difference is minor, "will blow on the shell to begin, we both start inside this perimeter, this area on land & the pool are the arena."

We go until the other submits or is unable to continue. He shrugs then grinning adds, if that's because they're dead....." he lets his words taper off. If you're forced outside the pool or this ring, you lose. If you submit you lose, if you are unable to continue you lose.

He stops inside the perimeter, about 15' away from the edge of the pool.

Taelas
2022-01-17, 09:26 PM
Ashrael snorts, then he cracks his neck and stretches his arms over his head. Then he starts changing, growing, fur erupting on his skin as he shoots up to stand twice as tall as his previous height.

Once the transformation is complete, he walks over to the perimeter of the half-circle, glaring at his opponent. Then he takes a single step inside, crossing his arms across his chest. He glances at the female fish-person, clearly waiting for her to blow on the shell.

Once she does, he explodes into motion, shooting across the ring; he reaches out and wraps his arms around the guard, pulling him into an embrace that cannot be good for the poor dude's back.

MCollarsen
2022-01-17, 10:17 PM
The merman stares as the massive form of Ashrael charges him before the notes of the conch shell can begin to fade. A look of fear washes across his face, he hadn't comprehended something so large and powerful could move as nimbly as a dolphin in the surf.

He doesn't even raise his trident as the hulking paw of Ash extends and grabs him, pulling him into a crushing embrace. He feels the bones in his back realign as the pressure mounts, before he lets out a gasp of air.

guhh...

Only after does he realize that was mistake, as he lets the air out he feels the grip tighten pulling him closer. He struggles in vain, pushing and thrashing, the trident forgotten but still in the embrace with him. His second attempt is no better, perhaps worse as his energy is flagging & he again fails to extricate himself.

Taelas
2022-01-18, 10:22 AM
Ashrael easily keeps hold of the merman, lifting him up off the ground as he struggles to get free. Then the lycanthrope walks slowly to the edge of the ring, containing the merman's struggles with almost passive ease. Once he gets to the edge, he drops the merman outside the ring, and sends him a fanged grin.

"Ring-out. You lose. Unless you want to break your own rules..."

He barks a laugh and pats the merman carelessly on the head as he saunters past him.

Arael666
2022-01-18, 11:26 AM
While the battle rages on between Ash and the fishman, Ur-Asim goes near Sina and whispers in her ear: "Sina, I don't know what is your plan exactly and you seem to be on to somethin. But I can teleport us to the other side" he points at Gheara and her wolf "and I mean all of us. If you believe your plan is better, I'm willing to put my fate in your paws"

tonberryking
2022-01-19, 09:51 PM
Sina had opened her mouth to say something smarmy towards the shark person, but she hesitates after Ash's show of force. Well...

"Get the others ready and move; I'll run a distraction on these yokels...Meet up with you once we're clear of this mess." she whispers to Ur-Asim before casting a spell, fingers dancing through the air as she walks towards the seemingly dangerous water... and continues walking. Her bare feet are barely a foot over the water (she wishes she could say that out loud but...) she all but prances across and continues hovering in the air, with the smuggest, only a cat could make such a face, grin.

"Oh and while you were making friends over there, fish man, We crossed the water. You did give me the blessing to cross it, not just swim, after all," she calls out, waving at the sure to be angry mob, "Really now, though, We are quite put out at this poor show of manners.
Do you really want to continue to embarrass yourself in front of newcomers?"

Casting Air walk and making a big show of crossing the water. I'm not sure if a diplomacy check is necessary but : [roll0]

Arael666
2022-01-21, 11:42 AM
Ur-Asim was momentarily taken aback by Sina's flaunting demonstration. He grunted "he, show off" and strode along near Gheara, whispering "Take my hand Gheara, I'll get us there with Sina in a blink, no need to fight. Your white wolf too". While offering his hands, Ur-Asim immediately starts his incantations

Dusk Raven
2022-01-22, 04:27 PM
The display of power that Ashrael shows is enough to make Gheară's eyebrows raise. And after that, she grins. "Not bad."

When Ur-Asim whispers to her, she nods. Truth be told, she didn't mind a fight, but it sounds like the anthropomorphic crocodile had a plan, and Gheară was willing to go along, even if she isn't sure what it is. It seems like the group was crossing over using any means available, and Gheară has a feeling she wouldn't want to be standing there much longer. So, she takes Ur-Asim's hand, and with her other hand she reaches out to Lupesculu again -- and hopes the large wolf wasn't too heavy for whatever magic Ur-Asim was using.

In the blink of an eye, the trio is teleported across, and Gheară grins again, glancing behind her to see the guardians' reactions...

MCollarsen
2022-01-24, 11:34 AM
The challenger gasps for air and wheezes are Ash drops him outside the ring, his features twisted in pain & rage are only enhanced at Ash's jibe & subsequent hand pat.

Yo... you... may pass, he gestures a waving hand at Ash before giving an odd hand gesture while rubbing the ring he wore. The gate closest to Ash began to rise allowing passage thru to the other side.

As for your friends... they seem intent on crossing, what's left of them can join you on the other side. His smile returns with a vindictive gleam, which turns to an open mouthed, eye twitching rage as he proceeds to watch Sina skip across the pool as though on a stroll thru a field of flowers. He might have been to shocked to speak had it not been the subsequent vanishing and near instant reappearance of the remainder of the group to the far side.

He leaps to his feet, words spraying from his mouth as fast as a gushing river, though they are no longer intelligible. He points at the group while yelling at his compatriots, before looking back at Sina, Ur & Gheara.

Finally mustering his rage, he returns to the common tongue - Fine cheat as you will, you filthy mongrels, If you get what you came for I'll be waiting for you to return, next time I'll skewer you like the rats you are.

After Ash rejoins them, the group proceeds down the tunnel on the other side the passage, until it turns sharply to the right, the pass proceeds for a handful of steps before a ending at a large platform with a raised pedestal.

The pedestal has a place for a hand/palm, upon which when pressed causes the platform to rise, after close to a minute of ascension the platform ceases rising and is now even with a similar base in a small stone building, out is a path of well worn cobbles.

The walk was brisk in the cooling night air, every 3 dozen paces or so was an overhead torch keeping the path illuminated if not well lit. 5 minutes had passed before the group arrived thru a cluster or tightly planted trees and into the a large circular courtyard.

There were 7 other paths intersecting with the courtyard each evenly spaced apart, 4 of them had lights and cobbles like the prior path, while two were dark, the final path (directly opposite), was both dark & by the apparent shadows in structural disarray with the road fractured and the rubble scattered.

A large wooden sign stands in the center, several lines of text which cannot be made out at time.

Taelas
2022-01-25, 03:06 AM
Ashrael looks at the seven new paths with a frown, then focuses on the sign in the center. He walks over to examine it closer.

MCollarsen
2022-01-26, 11:42 AM
The circular plaza is about 50 in diameter, with a large floor mosaic of the depicting major events & general artwork, there is the great battle of Halcynith, the comets of Arakesh, a solar eclipse, pictures of the island & ships travelling to & from, & a storm fire and light and many others.

The path directly to the left of the exited tunnel lies due East, the light posts along it are extinguished and some of the road stones have been churned up.
The next path is well lit, and appears untouched, in fact moss has grown over many of the stones as though the path is travelled infrequently.
The third path is has no lit posts, but appears undamaged, and a bit narrow.
The 4th path (opposite of your exit) is also well lit, those the vegetation on either side appears to be slightly overgrown.
The 5th path is is brightly lit, with new & old lamps alike, there are several piles of rubble that have been swept into piles and appears to be in the midst of being cleaned up.
The 6th path is perfectly leveled with stone worn and shaped into a smooth path, mage lights hang in the air revealing large scratches in the smooth rocky surface.
The final path is a deer trail through a cluster of tightly packed trees, it is unlit, but there doesn't appear to be any light poles.

The sign is made of carved marble with inlays of gold & silver bordering the edges, the words are hewn into the rock and have clearly been etched for some time.

There are 8 large lines, each with smaller lines beneath them.

Down the path most grand, reside those who understand, all that is to be, events not yet come, but shall indeed occur.
Be warned all thee who proceed down this route, questions with answer more than one shall begin a confusing pursuit.
Believe not a word from the one who speaks not in verse, for their only goal is to see you work in reverse

Down the path most serene, reside those whose bond with nature, is greater than those of any other in this vast marine, when entering their abode be warned of the soil with excess moisture.
5 shrines along the way you shall pass, one would do well to check the grass.
At roads end shall you soon arrive, but recall the path's number should you wish to survive.

Out along the island's edge shall 3rd path creep, it will test your balance above the briny deep, with stoic gait & iron grip, knowledge of the divine await those who take this trip.
Short and quick the route may be, but surviel above for treachery
As is with all things - as above as is below.

Down the hole of shadows and secrets live those with secrets not to tell, with blood & meat alone shall you coax the oracle from her shell.
Take from us this hint, for those who pay in blood & gold, all shall be revealed - upon thine flesh the answer will imprint.
A price, a cost, a gift of gold, all of these for truths untold, to you alone the secret given, struggle not or be rended whilst shriven.

Along the Sun's first path answers abound, from places to names & farway planes ask only for things that can be travelled to & found.
No tribute or trial for one without burden, what were saying is leave your weapons for those who are uncertain.
A trick it is not nor trap may it be, scared of weapons this oracle be, sheathed or stowed it makes not a hoot, don't bring your arms or recieve the boot.

Along the final but path but one lies one of greed for gold, twice the price he will charge, yet he's often visted by and large.
On matters of magic he does remit, ancient, arcane, divine and more of all of it he knows.
Pay him more per query posed and he shall answer still, but ask not questions exceeding five if you hope to leave alive.

Straight out and ahead you may proceed, if by chance you wish to have the answers to succeed.
Neither time of day or season past determine likelihood - its by fickle fate alone whether an answer is good
For those who who travel without guide or guard, take this path for untested is the boulevard.

All paths but one of have been written and listed, save for one, for who cares about details past & done. Mysteries of the past lay dead & hidden, but come to this oracle when bidden.
This knowledge is not for those of empty minds or those thoughts frequent flutter, to learn my secrets, you must remember that which is frequent
What mistakes & choices do all make that ends with sobs or rejoices? What events prosper as death becomes a merchant lord & what compels it Pride, Greed or Sword?

Arael666
2022-02-01, 06:29 PM
Ur-Assim ponders for a while before speaking in a worried tone "humph, wasn't expecting this. We came to meet THE oracle, only we need to find the RIGHT one" the man scans each path again and quickly revisits the sign "IF we can trust this sign, each path is seems to lead to a DIFFERENT oracle." he shakes his head "Even I understand that the poem is a hint for us to find which oracle is in each path, but I have no idea which is which. Humph might as well split up and choose a path at random... If anyone has a better idea, I'm listening"

Dusk Raven
2022-02-03, 11:16 PM
Gheară folds her arms after reading the inscription. "And here I was, about to pick one and go..." she shakes her head. "I'm not in favor of splitting up. We should just pick one and go for it. If they don't have what we need, then we pick another." She looks over the sign again, trying to pick out one to go down first. Soon enough, she places a finger on the second stanza. "...reside those whose bond with nature, is greater than those of any other... perhaps this is the one we should seek first."

Taelas
2022-02-04, 04:43 PM
Ashrael looks completely lost. "I'm not really sure what any of this means," he confesses, shrugging.

He glances at the poem. "But I could go down the 'Sun's first path' -- I don't have any weapons for the oracle to be offended by, so even if there's danger, I'll probably be fine. It could be that splitting up will get us better answers. That'd be this route, right?" He points at the first path to the left of the one they came through. "Sun rising in the east, and all that."

Ash turns to Gheară. "But I'll follow your lead, Ghee. If you think splitting up is bad, I'll stick by you."

Arael666
2022-02-07, 01:56 PM
Ur-Asim widens his eyes for a split-second "ahem, yes we can pick other paths later if we don't get it right the first time. I knew that." Then after listening to Ash, he adds "I agree Ash, Ghee *chuckle* is right, we should thread toguether. But first, please gather round in prayer. I'll call on the Life-Giver for her divine protection, surely she will lend us her aid"

MCollarsen
2022-02-12, 09:35 PM
The ground was uneven & unlit, though this made little difference for the group as they proceeded down the left most path. The path is composed of several of well made cobble stones though several of these are churned up in random locations. The path is roughly 10' wide and proceeds in a slight curve towards the eastern edge of the island.

After proceeding for about a mile/ten minutes, a scent drifts thru the trees, one of blood, iron and sweat. Voices can be heard, cursing and groans and a few belated growls and roars from an unknown creature.

After pausing to listen several words in common become understandable - wild, bears, idiots, payed enough, not, healing, rest, wait, ahead.

- A group of 5 men have made a hasty rest around the corpses of 6 brown bears, another bear severely wounded is roped to a tree nearby. The men are still armored with weapons either ready or within reach but are not currently expecting trouble. They appear to be recovering after a fairly even fight with the ursine.

Cygnia
2022-02-15, 02:51 PM
OOC: Well, if no one has objections to Mirrasha joining...

Untouchable.

For others, the word might have been crushing; to live apart from the clan for so long. For Mirrasha, it was as much an honor as it was a burden. A responsibility to protect those of the Burning Sand from all threats outside. She would take that burden so others of her clan wouldn't have to.

Untouchable.

Mirrasha had learned many skills, dark and eldritch, in her time away from the Burning Sand. But the basic training of moving without being seen or heard -- that, any kit who wanted to stay alive should know. Even invisible and flying, the catfolk wouldn't allow herself to grow complacent.

And so, she carefully floated into the scene to watch these hunters. If the bears had been maddened by that accursed tone and attacked first that was one thing. And one wounded bear had been tied up.

But if they were looking to kill any beast regardless...

Mirrasha Untouchable (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2573660)
F CN Catfolk Scout13//Warlock8/Binder1/HellfireWarlock3, Level 13, Init 11, HP 98/98, DR 2/cold iron, Speed 70
AC 26, Touch 17, Flat-footed 19, Fort 14, Ref 21, Will 14, Base Attack Bonus 9/4
+1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Eldritch Blast +17/+12 (7d6+1, 19-20/x2)
+1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Hellfire Blast +17/+12 (13d6+1, 19-20/x2)
+1 Light Mace Warlock's Scepter 9/4 (1d6, x2)
Bracers of Armor (+8 Armor, +7 Dex, +1 Natural)
Abilities Str 9, Dex 24, Con 15, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 13
Condition
Low-Light Vision
Fire Resistance 10
Damage Reduction 2/Cold Iron
All Seeing Eyes: +6 to Search & Spot, Comprehend Languages (written) -- 24hrs
See the Unseen: Darkvision & See Invisibility 60ft -- 24hrs
Fell Flight: 70ft Fly w/good maneuverability -- 24 hrs
Walk Unseen: Invisibility -- 24hrs
Blindsense 30ft
Faster Ability Healing: You heal 1 point in each damaged ability score every round, and 1 point in all drained ability scores every hour.
Darkstalker: When you hide, creatures with blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make Spot checks to detect you. You cannot hide in plain sight unless you have that ability as a class feature. In addition, you can flank creatures that have the all-around vision special quality.

Arael666
2022-02-18, 10:44 AM
"humm, I think these warriors were in the boat with us... Anyway, even if we sneak past them now, we're bound to meet them again sooner or later. I say we go in and say hi. We can show that we mean no harm by approaching now that they are at their most vulnerablee, and even if they decide they want a fight, we'll have the advantage." says Ur-Assim to his companions, waiting for an answer.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-19, 11:29 PM
Gheară grunts and nods. "I'm not in favor of sneaking around, either," she says, despite being fully capable of doing so. "I don't think they'll pick a fight, but if they do, we can handle them."

MCollarsen
2022-02-24, 05:55 PM
The soldiers conversation went quiet one by one as each spotted the approaching group, those who'd been sitting or leaning were on their feet quick as a blink. Their weapons were held at their sides, as close to neutral as one could be whilst standing amid a clearing strewn with corpses.

One man, shorter than his companions, though making up for it with his barrel chest shouldered a great axe, his eyes roaming the approaching strangers with that of a dog chained to a house.

Well lads, when I said we'd have more animals to kill I didn't think we'd have to do it so soon. He looked irritated and tired, the approach doesn't make him angry nor does he have a look of hate in his eyes. Look fleabags, I don't know or care if these were your friends, he gestures palm up to the bear corpses around them, then returns his gaze. His eyes alight on Ur-Assim, Guess fleas aren't much of a problem for you scale face, Look you four need to turn around and go back the way you came.

All but one of the other men were nodding their heads, murmurs of agreement flitting between them like a hummingbird in summer. They were likely to get worked into a fight if someone would just oblige.
The man who hadn't moved raised his voice, though he still didn't even glance their way. There's five Nurg.

What's that? Five you say, Aelic, you daft fool, there's only 4 freaks here.

A big ole bear who'd make a better rug than any of these here, He again gestures to the dead bears, then continues his evaluation, a walking set of new boots, a tabby cat with a pot sticker, and if i had to guess a lycan of some kind, given the company she keeps, although.... his eyes roved up and down Gheara's frame.

How bout this....., his speak directed at Gheara directly, your ....associates go sod off and back to the boat, you and I go off for a bit a privacy while we wait for my captain, and I give you a different reason to howl.

****..... the second speaker finally directed his attention towards the group. Please don't try to kill him for that, I realize his manners are about as polished as rusty mace but he's only an imbecile not a threat.

Cygnia
2022-02-25, 12:11 PM
Mirrasha's ears flicked in irritation at the lout's crude comments. Obviously, someone who couldn't look at his own body without a sense of self-loathing. And, if Gheară wanted to gut him for it, Mirrasha certainly wouldn't stop her.

But no, what caught the catfolk's immediate attention was the other one; the one who said there were five as opposed to four -- without looking up. Either he counted Gheară's wolf companion or, somehow, he could sense Mirrasha in spite of her magicks and skills.

He's one to watch out forrrr... Besides, he was the only one not eager for more blood.

Still invisible, Mirrasha called upon her Sight. There was a bear still alive. If the bear was influenced by the Tone, perhaps there was magic involved that was still active upon it...

...and, if she just happened to see if these hunters had any magic either held or wielded, that was just a bonus....

Activating Detect Magic. Mirrasha's priority is the wounded bear first, then the guy who spoke in red, then the rest of the idiotshunters.

F CN Catfolk Scout13//Warlock8/Binder1/HellfireWarlock3, Level 13, Init 11, HP 98/98, DR 2/cold iron, Speed 70
AC 26, Touch 17, Flat-footed 19, Fort 14, Ref 21, Will 14, Base Attack Bonus 9/4
+1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Eldritch Blast +17/+12 (7d6+1, 19-20/x2)
+1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Hellfire Blast +17/+12 (13d6+1, 19-20/x2)
Condition
Low-Light Vision
Fire Resistance 10
Blindsense 30ft
Faster Ability Healing: You heal 1 point in each damaged ability score every round, and 1 point in all drained ability scores every hour.
Darkstalker: When you hide, creatures with blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make Spot checks to detect you. You cannot hide in plain sight unless you have that ability as a class feature. In addition, you can flank creatures that have the all-around vision special quality.

Arael666
2022-02-25, 01:39 PM
"you can't polish something that doesn't exist" clearly annoyed, Ur-Asim responds to the one who seems to be the wisest man in the group. Turning to the loud mouth, he continues "I always tought that actions carried more meaning than words, but I realize now that won't matter when people simply refuse to see what is right there in front of their eyes." Ur-Asim inclines his body a little bit forward "We CHOSE to anounce ourselves human, with no ill intent. We COULD have attacked you, now that you have barely caught your breath. Yet, YOU are the one baring your teeth; YOU are the one goading a fight when we just want to pass; are WE the animals here?"

Ur-Asim then turns back to the wise human "We don't want to kill anyone, but none of us are going back. We came to talk to the oracle and we're not leaving until we do so. This is our offer, you let us pass and we won't be a problem for each other. Also," Ur-Asim points to the loud mouth "I'll rip off his tongue if talks like that to any gift bearer again. Ever."

Taelas
2022-02-26, 05:01 AM
Ashrael shakes his head. "Ghee, just say the word, and I'll make sure this one can't offend another with his filthy tongue again," the lycanthrope growls to her in a low voice. He sends the one called Nurg a glare, then gives a nod to the other speaker and steps forward. "Aelic, is it? Your friend is lucky you're here, or he'd probably get his head torn off his shoulders. Out of respect for your manners, I won't kill this fool, but he should watch the way he speaks."

Dusk Raven
2022-02-26, 09:51 PM
Gheară raises an eyebrow, more surprised than offended - at least for a few seconds. She's not used to men making come-ons, after all, not to her at least. "I'll give him points for trying, but I'd still sooner eat my wolf's s***." She's not much more refined than the man himself. "And I don't know what business you have in blocking us, but you don't look like you're in any shape to stop us."

MCollarsen
2022-02-28, 01:25 PM
Aelic moved forward, passing between two men and into a center position between the two groups. His armor was a set of bronze gilded full-plate, though the helm was lacquered a bright crimson. He held a longsword in his left hand and a kite shield with his right. He kept the point of the point of the blade directed towards the ground in a show reduced hostility, he appeared to be snapping his fingers with an increasing frequency and muttering under his breath. As he finishes moving up his feet and body form/enter a forward leaning, almost braced stance.

Themet-ku, tiam-te-mu ....no no thats not right........Tem-Et-Nu! That's the one.... Giver of Life and Lady of Commerce...... he was looking curiously at Ur-Asim you're a long way from the desert rivers.

He looks to Gheara chuckling, Having spent the last 10 days in close confines with him I doubt he'd taste much different. You do have my apologies for the slight against you.

He turned back to Nerg, Look - In the last thirty seconds you've had two independent offers to remove your tongue, and seeing how you've insulted these..... folks. His eyes darted between each member then towards the space where Mirrasha floated, taking stock of each before scanning the empty air fruitlessly. I suggest you refrain from speaking poorly to any of them again, because if you get us into a fight, IF they don't KILL us, not only will I not interfere with them following up with their threat, I'll hold you down WHILE they do.

He returns his attention to the group as a whole though his gaze shifts exclusively between Ash and Ur, in his mind the most imminent threats. I agree that turning back isn't an option for you, and that you could've ambushed us and didn't. However, the reason we were ambushed is because we ignored the sign..... we aren't supposed to bring weapons down this trail, apparently this oracle is particular about that rule. We only figured it out when that bear, he gestures to the bear anchored to a tree with lengths of rope, spoke to us like it was in a trance.

Now I'm no mage or druid, but talking bears isn't normal & it kept trying to kill us till we dropped our weapons, by the time we figured that out.... well..... he gestures around, we tied up that one, then others in our group proceeded on without their weapons. He points to a pile of gear under a nearby tree, there sits a collection of swords, daggers, a few spears, several pairs of gauntlets and a couple of crossbows.

My instructions from Mahir, you know, the turban mage, were to obey the captain of this squad and provide the best support I can offer. The captain's orders were to set up a post, and wait here for them to return.

I can't in good conscious let you proceed after them, especially when they don't have most of their gear, however, I will have no objection to you waiting on that side of the clearing until they return, then proceeding down on your way.

He pauses then glancing at spot next to Mirrasha, If your fifth friends wants to proceed I doubt I'll be able to stop her, though I would suggest she doesn't proceed with a weapon though.

What do you say?

Cygnia
2022-02-28, 02:41 PM
"...imprrrressive..." Mirrasha bowed her head respectfully to the token human who spoke sense, though she made no move to dismiss her Invisibility. Mage or druid, he might not be, but he was still able to perceive her. "Fearrrr not, I have no desirrrre to move without the rest of the otherrrrs --especially unarrrrmed."

A pause.

"The bearrrrs were not afflicted by the Tone then? How much time arrrre you giving yourrrr fellows to make sure they've gotten to this Orrrracle safely?" Much to the catfolk's consternation, this particular human was maddeningly unreadable. Mirrasha looked over to the others in her group. "Do we wish to wait orrrr take ourrrr chances with one of the other Orrrracles in the meantime?"

F CN Catfolk Scout13//Warlock8/Binder1/HellfireWarlock3, Level 13, Init 11, HP 98/98, DR 2/cold iron, Speed 75
AC 27, Touch 17, Flat-footed 19, Fort 14, Ref 21, Will 14, Base Attack Bonus 9/4
+1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Eldritch Blast +18/+13 (7d6+1, 19-20/x2)
+1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Hellfire Blast +18/+13 (13d6+1, 19-20/x2)
+1 Light Mace Warlock's Scepter 10/5 (1d6, x2)
Condition
Low-Light Vision
Fire Resistance 10
Fell Flight: 75ft Fly w/good maneuverability -- 24 hrs
Blindsense 30ft
Elation: +2 morale bonus to Str & Dex, +5 to speed

MCollarsen
2022-02-28, 07:03 PM
Aelic turned to the air where Mirrasha floated - They didn't seem to be afflicted, at least not to the degree or manner that I've seen before. We tied that one up as a precaution more than subduing it. As for how long we'll wait.... I'd guess 2-3 hrs at most. I figure this spot on the path is close to the halfway point, so it should only take them a quarter turn or so to finish their journey, they left 10 minutes ago.

I estimate that they should be back within an hour, I'd given them 2 for being slow, and a third given that oracles might be vague. Beyond that they should either send word of delay or something is likely to have happened to them.

We split into 4 groups to cover the island, that should allow us to cover it within 2 days, with a third for delays, after that the ship is due to sail away, beyond then, the sea is supposed to raise and make access impossible for another year.

Arael666
2022-03-08, 07:49 AM
"asking us to wait 3 hours is not a reasonable request..." Ur-Asim hisses (https://youtu.be/I28QneqRj_k?t=2) then pauses and slightly lowers his head "If you are mighty and powerful, then gain respect through knowledge and through your gentleness of speech. You recognized the lifegiver in me before, and now I see her teachings in you. Very well then, we will try another path instead of loitering here for hours."

MCollarsen
2022-03-14, 02:02 PM
The second path was well lit, giving the group ample light as they traversed the mossy ground. The moss itself was a thick close woven fuzz, it wasn't slimy or overly moist, but the air grew heavier with the weight of water as they trekked along the path. After a quarter turn of traversing the group begins to hear a rhythmic "whoom" "whoom", then a brief pause, then "whoom" "whoom" again.

Another 5 minutes or so brings the group to a large stepwell (https://api.wbez.org/v2/images/a72691d3-5df8-4995-a969-7d69db1445ca.jpg?width=960&height=0&mode=ASPECT_WIDTH) The stairs of which are rapidly extending, retracting & shifting, after moving for a round, they pause for close to 20 seconds, before resuming their seemingly chaotic movement.

A podium sits near the top of the stepwell, on it sit 3 metallic disks each with a set of rotating mechanical arms. Each disk is clamped in place by a set of metallic latches. Under the latched disks sits a band of metal, 1 inch tall and several in length. The podium also contained a flask of greenish ink, and a quill. Upon investigation you discover that the greenish ink is a light acid, that will allow etching to be added to the 3 bands of metal.

You recall the 3 riddles posed by the sign at the front of the path.

1) What mistakes & choices do all make that end with sobs or rejoices?

2) What events prosper as death becomes a merchant lord?

3) What compels it Pride, Greed or Sword?

Decisions
War
All three

Arael666
2022-03-16, 10:01 AM
"Again with the riddles, they are more tortuous than the great Basiri itself! Well, I can't quite grasp all the answers, but of one thing I'm certain, pride, greed and the sword are all very captivating and persuasive motivations in this life, so the answer is most likely all three of them"

MCollarsen
2022-03-30, 09:53 AM
After a period of collaboration (20 min) the group scrawled three answers onto the metals stripes. The above devices were released from their mechanical holds and upon brief inspection were able to guide the group down the shifting blocks of the stepwell.
o
Once at the bottom, a large doorway stands open, beyond it you can see a figure in a garden full of plants and raised gardens. They appear to e toiling away, however after a few moments, they look over at you and gesture friendlily to join them.

The figure is an aged female half elf, she greets you warmly as you enter the garden, offering a seat upon a cushion spread about a grassy pad. Well now dearies, what can I do for you?

Cygnia
2022-03-30, 10:27 AM
As tempting as it was to stay invisible, Mirrasha turned her invocation off. She still stayed in the air though, keeping her senses alert when the half-elf addressed them.

"We arrrre seeking an audience with the Orrrracle of this path, madam..." Nodding politely, the catfolk made sure to issue her words as a statement as opposed to just asking the old woman if she was the Oracle -- just in case it counted against their allotment of questions. Some sages and diviners were bastards like that.

Turning on her Detect Magic

Condition
Low-Light Vision
Fire Resistance 10
Blindsense 30ft

MCollarsen
2022-03-31, 09:34 AM
The woman smiled at Mirrasha's speech, "You lot exhibit a lot more forethought than others I've dealt with lately." She picked up a watering can and proceed to begin watering the various planters.

"If you lot will take a seat," (she gestures to the grassy patch with cushions) "I'll give you the rundown of how I operate. My gifts allow me to look into the past, I can't do anything more recent than a decade or so, I'm a student of history and the past, & while I don't share my knowledge freely, the fact that you're here, (she gestures around to the surroundings) means your at least willing to learn and put forth effort to get knowledge.

As she continues to water it becomes slightly evident that the pitcher is magical in nature as it is dispensing a significantly disproportionate amount of water to its size.

I'm not here to trick you into giving up your questions or twist your words, most of my colleagues maybe, but not me. Feel free to ask any questions I'll answer them freely if I know the answer out of hand.

"I can delve into the past 6 times a day, each attempt takes about 5 minutes and allows me to conceive of about 5 months of the past for a particular area or person, but I have to know what I'm looking for or have a reference point. "

She finishes watering the plants, and carries the water pitcher to a table, fills several wooden cups with clear water, and distributes them

"If I cannot help you with my delving today I will search for you until I find a suitable answer, though it may take longer than you are willing to stay. If that ends up being the case I will search for a total of 12 times and send word to you about that which you wish to know."

She sits on a set of cushions and surveys the group with a look of mild interest and curiosity.

"Each question requiring delving will cost you 100 golden coins, which you may deposit in the urn there." She points to a clay urn about 2' tall with faded paints and a chipped rim, inside you can see that it is about 1/3 full of gold coins."

Shall we begin?

Arael666
2022-04-07, 01:08 PM
Ur-Asim chooses the largest cushion availabe and sits. "I'm not as cunning as my companions, but I'll try to be as precise as I can. There is something that is causing beasts and beast folk like ourselves to go mad and attack everything in their sight. We" he points to himself and his companions "somehow resisted the urge. All I can say for sure is that before the urge came I heard a sound, much like a high pitched whine. Some people said it first happened arround a year ago near Hordeck, but I don't know about that. I... we want to stop it. People are dying and getting murdered because of this and there is no indications it's going to stop anytime soon" he then grabs a handful of coins, half expecting the womand to tell him to pay

Cygnia
2022-04-08, 10:46 AM
Mirrasha nodded in agreement with Ur-Asim, though the questions she was interested in were more towards the future rather than delving in the past. Still, if this Oracle would offer any insight to the source of the Tone, it would be appreciated. A static location could be reached -- and a person could be hunted down.

MCollarsen
2022-04-18, 05:44 PM
Hmm... I've heard rumors of mad & wild animals this last year, but you're the first to mention it directly.....though in true you're my first customers in about 3 years.

She sits intently upon her cushion her chin nestled into her open palm. After a minute of general silence, she lifts her head

...to my knowledge, historically, there have only 2 "outbreaks" of madness that weren't eventually traced back disease, overt magical incidents or some other well defined or notable cause.

Given that this malady has been going on for over a year with little progress towards at least identifying the means of exposure or tracking an origin means that it is likely dissimilar to past events.

I'll review each outbreak as a question then I'll take a brief review of Hordeck and areas in it's past with poor documentation or times of strife, I should be able to cover about 500 years if I'm looking at broad strokes and if I find something abnormal I'll investigate more deeply.

Of the two outbreaks, one was contained to an island in the tropics, the people there suddenly began killing and conducting opposite beliefs such as cannibalisms, and human sacrifices.
The second is the when bouts of madness occurred/appeared at random throughout Y'lat'ae about 200 years ago, no one child, man, woman or beast was spared from the event, and it spread like wildfire in a pitch barn.

MCollarsen
2022-04-26, 08:54 AM
The oracle went & sat beneath a large fern, her legs were crossed with both elbows resting on her thighs.

After a few minutes of gentle, paced breathing she begins muttering in a flowing series of languages, some you recognize and others you don't. Each iteration and shift of a word intensifies the magic surrounding her until it ceases with a sudden loss of noise.

Every so often her body gives a shake or jerk, as though she is sleeping and experiencing muscle spasms. After half a turn, she shivered then opened her eyes. Moving stiffly she move from her sitting position and began walking around, taking intermittent sips of water as she did. After about 5 minutes she sat down next to a set of large potted plants, though this time on a small stool she leaned forward placing her brow in her hands then began speaking language after language before again falling into the silent nearly still trance.

After another half turn of occasional muscle spasms and eye jerks, she got up and paced around for a few moments, before finding a stone alcove and reclining and beginning the third set of divinations.

Eventually she awoke from these final investigations, she moved withdrew a large scroll and tablet allowing her to make comments & notations & began scribbling.

I believe only 1 of my delving's will prove fruitful to you, but I shall explain them all, so that you may judge for yourselves.

The island where beliefs suddenly changed & men consumed men, and sacrificed their flesh for the gods, is still a mystery to me.... the strange actions begin during a holy night and seemed to have overtaken the village with unusual strength & vigor. The actions I saw were of barbarity, fear, and general madness, yet I witnessed no one appearing to experience a trigger or any other external factor. The next day everyone was fine relatively, they were sane and had little understanding of the death and violence around them.

They continued their prayers for the aid of the divine for nigh on 6 months, with increasing frequency, each time they attempted to commune the or honor the gods they were rewarded with death and dismemberment.

Eventually they ceased honoring the gods and began to ignore them, they were aided in this by colonizers and other sailors who were eager to trade with the spice rich island. They quickly grew into a moderately well developed society that abhors the idea of serving a divine or greater power. There magic is often seen as similar to the divine so it is shunned and ostracized, anything that cannot be quickly replicated by others is cast out and abandoned.

As for the other location - I believe it is where you should go, the coastal nation of Y'lat'ae. 200 years ago a cult of unknown origins emerged from the forests of twilight and began inflicting madness with magic. Groups of cult members would ambush smaller counts of people and drive them mad with various spells, but it was though they were learning and adapting the magic, over the course of 4 years it grew strong & more effective, and easier to inflict. I still don't know about a tone or sound, but it's the closest I've got for you.

As for Hordeck, its an area that has long been a companion of turmoil, despite having several orders of knights be founded or based in the region & having churches dedicated to Law & Order, disruptions constantly seem to arise there, whether monsters from the forests, bandits along the roads and unnatural magical events. But nothing specifically points to your questions.

Taelas
2022-04-26, 01:27 PM
Ash is sitting with his legs crossed, seemingly meditating, in a similar position as the oracle. He's returned to human form, his eyes closed as he's apparently concentrating.

As soon as the oracle starts muttering, he opens one eye and glances at her, then closes it again as he returns to his meditation.

After some time waiting, he groans in annoyance. He rolls over backwards, then into a handstand, pushing himself off of the ground. He then lowers himself somewhat, beginning to do handstand push-ups. At one point, he leans over, lifts one arm, with all of his weight resting on the other arm, which is bent at the elbow. His legs are splayed, sticking in two different directions to help him balance; his entire body is shaking lightly at the effort. Then he jerks upwards, almost jumping as he straightens the arm he's resting his weight on, ending with a one-handed handstand. At that point, he bends at the waist, until his legs touch the ground, at which point he gets to his feet.

Then he glances at the oracle, who's getting ready with the tablet, and his eyes roll. "Finally," he mutters, and he runs over to her. After listening to her explain her divinations, the young man looks at her with a raised eyebrow. "Cannibals? 200 year old cults? Bah, what use is this? It's got nothing to do with what we asked!"

Arael666
2022-04-26, 06:21 PM
UR-ASIM (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2574067)

"We were never promissed certainty Ash, only that we would not be tricked and that she would work to the best of her abilities. She kept her word so we keep ours" says the beastman as he walks to the urn and deposits 100 in the vessel. "We'll keep your advice in mind Seer, but my companion is right, that doesn't help us much, excuse us but we'll have to seek other oracles"

Cygnia
2022-04-26, 06:52 PM
"Still, at least what she gave us was underrrrstandable..." Some seers liked to pontificate with asinine riddles and overwrought poetry. Mirrasha nodded respectfully to the Oracle. "And perrrrhaps what was told may fit as a missing piece with another Orrrracle's worrrrds later. Thank you."

Another nod to the Oracle and the catfolk resumed her invisible status.

MCollarsen
2022-04-27, 04:05 PM
After returning up through the shifting walls of the stepwell and back down the path to the nexus, the sun was approaching it's zenith high above.

5 other routes presented themselves again, though according to the sign there were 6. The area looked untouched since they'd last left it, though the images in the mosaic tiles glint brightly in the midday sun.

The circular plaza is about 50 in diameter, with a large floor mosaic of the depicting major events & general artwork, there is the great battle of Halcynith, the comets of Arakesh, a solar eclipse, pictures of the island & ships travelling to & from, & a storm fire and light and many others.

The path directly to the left of the exited tunnel lies due East, the light posts along it are extinguished and some of the road stones have been churned up. - Led to the group of soldiers and leads to the oracle who doesn't like weapons.
The next path is well lit, and appears untouched, in fact moss has grown over many of the stones as though the path is travelled infrequently. Led you to the history & memory oracle.
The third path is has no lit posts, but appears undamaged, and a bit narrow. ---???
The 4th path (opposite of your exit) is also well lit, those the vegetation on either side appears to be slightly overgrown.---???
The 5th path is is brightly lit, with new & old lamps alike, there are several piles of rubble that have been swept into piles and appears to be in the midst of being cleaned up.---???
The 6th path is perfectly leveled with stone worn and shaped into a smooth path, mage lights hang in the air revealing large scratches in the smooth rocky surface.---???
The final path is a deer trail through a cluster of tightly packed trees, it is unlit, but there doesn't appear to be any light poles.---???

The path was much the same as before, however, as it neared the area where the soldiers had been previously camped, the silence became both evident and jarring.

Take the opportunity to make any checks/actions you'd like then make a spot check.

MCollarsen
2022-04-28, 04:06 PM
Shortly before Ur Asim was to head back down the path, the group had gathered back at the nexus. Upon entering the plaza they noticed an odd peculiarity among the mosaics decorating the locale.

While all of the mosaics were of pristine and shining lacquered stones, the stones depicting shadow of the solar eclipse seemed to be absorbing the rays of the overhanging sun.

The image depicts an event known to occur every decade or so, where a the orbit of the moon, planet & sun not only intersected but synchronized for close to a week. Leaving the world in brief spurt of significantly reduced light and heat. The phenomena was known to cause crops to die by rapidly cooling farmlands and developing into blizzards and ice storms.

Upon renewed inspection of the eclipse mosaic it becomes fairly evident that something is different,

1) The eclipse shadow is a single continuous piece of material not a composite image of dozens of stones.
2) The shadow piece doesn't reflect any light and seems to be leeching color from its surroundings.
3) The piece doesn't present as magical under the effect of detect magic.

Cygnia
2022-05-05, 12:59 PM
Observing the changing mosaic caused Mirrasha's tail to swish with keen interest (albeit, still invisible). Was this a warning about the island then or something else -- and could it be connected to the damned Tone?

"Hrrrrrm, hold frrrriends..." The catfolk began. "An ill omen perrrrhaps unveils itself before us now on the mosaic! I have hearrrrd rumours of such an eclipse, yes. One that forrrretells, the coming of many abyssal or abhorrent extraplanar beings. They travel to ourrrr worrrrld and take up residence in the depths and shadow places.

Eight days, yes. This will last for eight days and the worrrrld will grow colder while it lasts. Maybe the Tone was a precursorrrr? Either way, it is something to tell the Orrrracles of..."

Arael666
2022-05-20, 04:13 PM
"First the maddening of beasts and now we also have to deal with fiends and frost? For the lifrebringer, I can't fight cold." The beasman ponders for a second then continues "I don't think the tone has anything to do with what you're saying Mirrasha, this is a ciclic event the tone is something new, unheard of. Either way, there's nothing we can do about it right now, we should keep going, the oracles await us"

Ur-Asim will keep heading for the first path they took