PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow lassos? If so, how?

Dr.Samurai
2022-01-11, 04:50 PM
Given that ropes exist and knots are a thing... would you allow a character to wield a lasso and, if so, how would you handle it mechanically?

I realize the net exists but a lasso operates a little differently, where it's more a contest between the attacker and the defender. I am not familiar with how real life lassos work (assuming they're more complex than my idea of them) but would it make sense that you can lasso a flying creature? Like would the length and vertical angle work against the act of lassoing?

I'm thinking of this as a method for a martial/melee character to slow/immobilize or even ground a flying creature.

Basically make an attack roll to get the noose around, then an Athletics check to impose the Grabbed condition. If you move (half speed) you can drag as normal for a grabbed opponent, but if you make another Athletics check you can pull the creature closer?

I just feel the creature would probably have to be flying pretty low to make this happen, but monsters like griffins and wyverns would have to come down to attack anyways.

Thoughts?

elyktsorb
2022-01-11, 05:21 PM
Well to begin with, lasso's aren't just made from regular rope, they are usually made with stiff rope so that the noose of the lasso stays open when thrown.

The next issue is lasso's really don't work all that well on sapient opponents, due to it being a single loop, unless you manage to perfectly get it completely around their arms tightly, it could be easily removed, or cut due to the tension.

There's also the issue of, even if you lasso something, unless it's around the legs or wings, they still have the same range of movement and it's just a tugging match at that point.

Finally, why not just use a net?

Dr.Samurai
2022-01-11, 05:50 PM
Well to begin with, lasso's aren't just made from regular rope, they are usually made with stiff rope so that the noose of the lasso stays open when thrown.
I'm sure there's room for stiff rope in D&D :).

The next issue is lasso's really don't work all that well on sapient opponents, due to it being a single loop, unless you manage to perfectly get it completely around their arms tightly, it could be easily removed, or cut due to the tension.
This is true. I would say for a humanoid you can probably lasso them with their arms around their torso. But even if not, there are plenty of beasts and monstrosities to lasso.

There's also the issue of, even if you lasso something, unless it's around the legs or wings, they still have the same range of movement and it's just a tugging match at that point.

Finally, why not just use a net?
I think the answer to both is the same; I like the idea of a tugging match or contest between the PC and the creature. I like the idea of either pulling the creature in, or not letting it get away any further. A net has very short range or is thrown at DA, and is a DC 10 to escape. And it doesn't have that feel of wrangling the creature. So it's not really what I'm looking for.

On that note, what range do you think a lasso could operate out to?

Tvtyrant
2022-01-11, 05:54 PM
Given that ropes exist and knots are a thing... would you allow a character to wield a lasso and, if so, how would you handle it mechanically?

I realize the net exists but a lasso operates a little differently, where it's more a contest between the attacker and the defender. I am not familiar with how real life lassos work (assuming they're more complex than my idea of them) but would it make sense that you can lasso a flying creature? Like would the length and vertical angle work against the act of lassoing?

I'm thinking of this as a method for a martial/melee character to slow/immobilize or even ground a flying creature.

Basically make an attack roll to get the noose around, then an Athletics check to impose the Grabbed condition. If you move (half speed) you can drag as normal for a grabbed opponent, but if you make another Athletics check you can pull the creature closer?

I just feel the creature would probably have to be flying pretty low to make this happen, but monsters like griffins and wyverns would have to come down to attack anyways.

Thoughts?

Historically lassos in warfare were used with chariots, or to capture civilians in a raid from a horse. Via chariot it would be tied to the chariot, you would loop someone as the chariot went by and then let go to drag them suddenly. This would break up lines and act like a terror weapon among celtic forces.

5E made standing up only take a half a move, which means the obvious "jerks them off their feet" move isn't particularly useful. I would probably have it take an opposed strength check, knock prone and stun 1 turn and then either an additional strength check each turn to keep them prone by pulling them or let go. Trading 1 action for 1.5 enemy actions or 1 for 1 forever.

Unlike a spell you need to spend time taking a rope out so you can't use it every turn, so I wouldn't worry about it as a post-t1 weapon.

Naanomi
2022-01-11, 05:57 PM
Sounds like a net with some range that requires athletics checks based with DC based on that range to use

LibraryOgre
2022-01-11, 06:01 PM
I'd be inclined to stat it as a tool, rather than a weapon, allowing you to make a Dexterity (lasso) check to initiate a grapple. In addition to breaking it with a Strength or Dexterity check, they could break it with a hacking weapon, doing X amount of damage (depending on the type of rope). You might make them restrained on a critical.

stoutstien
2022-01-11, 06:28 PM
I'd make it an adventuring gear option. Probably 15 ft reach with an effect that basically limits movement to the range of the rope. Could reel (shove)/prone as an action if target is lassoed.

gloryblaze
2022-01-11, 06:37 PM
If you don’t mind a bit of shameless self-promotion, I actually wrote a Fighter subclass (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?638076-The-Cowpuncher-A-Martial-Archetype-for-settings-with-firearms-(but-not-really)) that uses lassos as a core mechanic!

This version of a lasso is a straight upgrade of the net, and is maybe too strong to just be a piece of equipment that anyone can access, since it’s supposed to be a subclass feature, but you might be able to borrow some of the mechanics or language from it.

Ortho
2022-01-11, 11:17 PM
Given that this is D&D, I'm gonna base my take on lassos off of nothing but Western clichés. Here's what I got:

Martial melee weapon

Cost

Damage

Weight

Properties

Lasso
1 gp
0 bludgeoning
5 lb
Light, Thrown (range 30/50), Special

Special property:
When you hit a creature or object with a lasso attack, that creature or object is restrained. A creature restrained in such a way can use its action to make an Dexterity (Acrobatics) check or a Strength (Athletics) check to escape, contested by your Strength(Athletics) check. If the creature escapes via a Strength (Athletics) check, the lasso breaks, and must be repaired as an action with a DC 10 Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check.
While the creature or object is restrained and unanchored, you may make a DC 5 Strength check as a bonus action to pull that creature up to 15ft toward you. The DC of the Strength check increases by 5 for each size the restrained creature is above Tiny.
You can only make one attack with a lasso per turn.

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-11, 11:29 PM
I'd be inclined to stat it as a tool, rather than a weapon, allowing you to make a Dexterity (lasso) check to initiate a grapple. In addition to breaking it with a Strength or Dexterity check, they could break it with a hacking weapon, doing X amount of damage (depending on the type of rope). You might make them restrained on a critical. Slashing, but yeah. :smallsmile:

For the OP: reskin the net, there's your lariat.

LibraryOgre
2022-01-13, 05:17 PM
Slashing, but yeah. :smallsmile:

For the OP: reskin the net, there's your lariat.

I think in Hackmaster

GeoffWatson
2022-01-13, 08:04 PM
Given that this is D&D, I'm gonna base my take on lassos off of nothing but Western clichés. Here's what I got:

Martial melee weapon

Cost

Damage

Weight

Properties

Lasso
1 gp
0 bludgeoning
5 lb
Light, Thrown (range 30/50), Special

Special property:
When you hit a creature or object with a lasso attack, that creature or object is restrained. A creature restrained in such a way can use its action to make an Dexterity (Acrobatics) check or a Strength (Athletics) check to escape, contested by your Strength(Athletics) check. If the creature escapes via a Strength (Athletics) check, the lasso breaks, and must be repaired as an action with a DC 10 Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check.
While the creature or object is restrained and unanchored, you may make a DC 5 Strength check as a bonus action to pull that creature up to 15ft toward you. The DC of the Strength check increases by 5 for each size the restrained creature is above Tiny.
You can only make one attack with a lasso per turn.

That's really strong.
Like a net, but with better range and harder to escape.
Light, so you can dual-wield them (or one in your off-hand so it's only a bonus action to restrain).

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-13, 08:11 PM
I think in Hackmaster That got a laugh out of me, and my dog gave me a quizzical look. :smallsmile:

LibraryOgre
2022-01-13, 10:19 PM
That got a laugh out of me, and my dog gave me a quizzical look. :smallsmile:

At this point, I've written 4 books for them; it's a tough habit to break, especially for minor stuff like that.