PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Disciple + Martial Class?

St0nemender
2022-01-12, 02:49 AM
Well. After Paladin/Bard-Healer turned out a little tedious to build i focused more along the lines of a cleric with some extra punch.

I find the Eldritch disciple class quite appealing, since it can greatly help with in combat healing and also deal a lot of damage if need be. I would like, however, to do something beneficial to my BAB without hurting my spell progression much. Unfortunately, the Eldritch disciple requires a chaotic deity (which, in my case, will always be CG), and all prestige classes i could find do either require a neutral or even a lawful deity or do not fit the campaign setting (which is Faerûn).

Do you have any insights which class may complement the martial abilities of my cleric.

As we are a roleplay-focused group, ideally, the suggestions should not stretch the plausibility and the rules too far ;-)

Troacctid
2022-01-12, 03:01 AM
Forget BAB. It's more important to progress your magic. Then you can use divine power and boom, full BAB anyway, no sweat. A better strategy is to look for ways to improve the action economy of divine power so that you're not wasting a turn on it. Quicken Spell-Like Ability lets you cast it, get full BAB, and then still get full value out of eldritch glaive on the same turn. A belt of battle or metamagic rod of quicken can achieve a similar effect. Divine Metamagic would allow you to have your buff active all the time. Those are probably the go-to options, although of course there are more.

Jervis
2022-01-12, 10:56 AM
Well. After Paladin/Bard-Healer turned out a little tedious to build i focused more along the lines of a cleric with some extra punch.

I find the Eldritch disciple class quite appealing, since it can greatly help with in combat healing and also deal a lot of damage if need be. I would like, however, to do something beneficial to my BAB without hurting my spell progression much. Unfortunately, the Eldritch disciple requires a chaotic deity (which, in my case, will always be CG), and all prestige classes i could find do either require a neutral or even a lawful deity or do not fit the campaign setting (which is Faerûn).

Do you have any insights which class may complement the martial abilities of my cleric.

As we are a roleplay-focused group, ideally, the suggestions should not stretch the plausibility and the rules too far ;-)

Raven Knight, 9/10 casting and full bab

Jervis
2022-01-12, 11:01 AM
Forget BAB. It's more important to progress your magic. Then you can use divine power and boom, full BAB anyway, no sweat. A better strategy is to look for ways to improve the action economy of divine power so that you're not wasting a turn on it. Quicken Spell-Like Ability lets you cast it, get full BAB, and then still get full value out of eldritch glaive on the same turn. A belt of battle or metamagic rod of quicken can achieve a similar effect. Divine Metamagic would allow you to have your buff active all the time. Those are probably the go-to options, although of course there are more.

How the Smechel does quicken sla let you quicken a spell? Is this a supernatural transformation psionic thing where it relies on a obscure line in the SRD the developers didn’t think about? Also seconding this, DMM persist divine power is a meme and one of the weaker options you can use that for but it’s still strong and great if you want to go into melee. There’s also a feat in dragon mag for worshipers of the wild hunt (CN or NG I think) that lets you burn one use of turn undead as a swift action to divine power yourself. Can’t cast spells while it’s active though

St0nemender
2022-01-12, 11:02 AM
Raven Knight, 9/10 casting and full bab

As i said: Faerûn.

I currently dont see how i can convince my group to travel somehow to Barovia to spend a night in a chapel with a Knight no less. Kind of hard to envision that... but i will keep it in mind regardless :-)

Jervis
2022-01-12, 11:03 AM
As i said: Faerûn.

I currently dont see how i can convince my group to travel somehow to Barovia to spend a night in a chapel with a Knight no less. Kind of hard to envision that... but i will keep it in mind regardless :-)

Raven Queen is a Fearune deity and she’s the one that order is dedicated too, the wild hunt I mentioned above also exists in Fearune.

Troacctid
2022-01-12, 12:55 PM
How the Smechel does quicken sla let you quicken a spell? Is this a supernatural transformation psionic thing where it relies on a obscure line in the SRD the developers didn’t think about?
It lets you cast the spell as a standard and then quicken the eldritch glaive.

Jervis
2022-01-12, 01:35 PM
It lets you cast the spell as a standard and then quicken the eldritch glaive.

Oh, that makes sense.

St0nemender
2022-01-12, 02:31 PM

Isnt Divine Metamagic the usual way to accomplish that anyway? :-)

Anyway, i like your post very interesting and have decided to go for full disciple for the time being. Considering the usual campaign speed, we are about to hit lvl10 in 2024 and that when i can start to seriously consider what to do next^^

Telonius
2022-01-12, 02:46 PM
This isn't martial, exactly, and it is kind of intensive, but: one level of Rogue, Craven, the Blend Into Shadows feat (from Drow of the Underdark), Darkness invocation, and the Devil's Sight invocation. The feat's intended for Drow, but Warlocks with the Darkness invocation technically meet it. Basically lets you spend one of your Darkness effects (and you have effectively limitless numbers of them) to give you free Hide in Plain Sight whenever you're near shadows (which is "all the time" if you use the Darkness invocation). All of your Eldritch Blasts are now sneak attacks, dealing +lvl damage (from Craven). You can see through your own darkness with Devil's Sight. Not exactly martial, but it does let your blasts pack a much bigger punch.