PDA

View Full Version : Holiday-themed phylactery - how would you do it??

ironkid
2022-01-12, 02:52 PM
Hong story short, I started a holiday themed 2-sessions adventure early december, naturally we couldn't play since because of difficult scheduling of that time, but we'll finally end it today... and I have EVERYTHING ready, except I'm supposed to have a christmassy Lich phylactery for the players to destroy, and all this time I couldn't thing anything fun interesting for it to be. It could of couse be something simple of course, and I will if I can't come up with anything fun in a few hours, I might as well do that.

Buuuut maybe someone around here has a clever idea of how to play this or at least some inspiration, if so, let me know!!

Keltest
2022-01-12, 03:00 PM
A Snowglobe works assuming youre in either the Northern Hemisphere or the Anglosphere.

Ortho
2022-01-12, 03:08 PM
Hong story short, I started a holiday themed 2-sessions adventure early december, naturally we couldn't play since because of difficult scheduling of that time, but we'll finally end it today... and I have EVERYTHING ready, except I'm supposed to have a christmassy Lich phylactery for the players to destroy, and all this time I couldn't thing anything fun interesting for it to be. It could of couse be something simple of course, and I will if I can't come up with anything fun in a few hours, I might as well do that.

Buuuut maybe someone around here has a clever idea of how to play this or at least some inspiration, if so, let me know!!

Phylacteries are indestructible, aren't they?

How about a present that's difficult/impossible to unwrap?

Dr.Samurai
2022-01-12, 03:17 PM
A lump of coal in a stocking hanging from the mantle.

An incredibly dense fruit bread.

An evergreen at the town square that is decorated each year for the holiday. In order to destroy the lich, they have to destroy this towering living tree that is the symbol of giving and community.

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-12, 03:57 PM
An incredibly dense fruit bread. This is perfect. (One of these (https://collinstreet.com/media/catalog/product/cache/c70b49282484d77df261fb176101eebd/8/0/802-sprinkle-blonde-pecan-cake_3.jpg) in the standard round can)

Quietus
2022-01-12, 05:39 PM
A Snowglobe works assuming youre in either the Northern Hemisphere or the Anglosphere.

I came here to suggest this. The snowglobe is indestructible, in order to break it you have to go into the world build within.

Sigreid
2022-01-12, 05:42 PM
The angel on top of his christmas tree.

arnin77
2022-01-12, 05:44 PM
Mistletoe that’s been hanging at the entrance door and everyone has been kissing under? A lich is supposed to have a hobby - maybe this one was a powerful spell caster and also a match maker. Maybe their purpose is to live forever and make the perfect matches because no one is as good at it as they are. Picture “Clueless”/(Jane Austen’s Emma) as a lich.

False God
2022-01-12, 09:07 PM
It's one of the many presents under the tree. Wrapped too. Even the Lich doesn't know which one it is until he dies and pops out of a random box.

It's one of the ornaments on the tree. The obvious answer is the star. The less obvious answer is something incredibly personal to the Lich and destroying it would almost make the party feel sad. (like it's a locket of his lost lover or something)

It's the whole dang Christmas Tree.

It's one of the reindeer. (yes I'm rolling with your Lich being straight-up Santa). It's not Rudolph though.

ironkid
2022-01-13, 11:03 PM
A lot of great ideas, thank you all!!! I went the Voldemort way and had several phylacteries, that could only be destroyed on winter's equinox and only under the sound of carols. We have a bard, so it was no real issue.