PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Barrow of the Forgotten King Module

RNightstalker
2022-01-12, 11:15 PM
Just wondering if anyone has experience with that module (even a player's perspective is welcome). I just went through a couple of the middle encounters and almost did a TPK. My main question is do the encounters seem underrated as far as CR goes? A lot is expected from a 2nd level party, and I've also noticed some of the stat blocks have to be off somehow.

Fizban
2022-01-13, 02:32 AM
It's come up before in Killer Module threads, and I've read through most of it to see if I'd want to run it. Was this the Runehound encounter by chance? In any case, yeah it's an example of later print modules not being as. . . refined in their understanding. The sequel, Fortress of the Yuan-Ti is one I've griped about more, but I can go back over the Barrow later. Any particular points you'd like input on?

RNightstalker
2022-01-13, 05:28 PM
Any particular points you'd like input on?

Encounters 7 & 9. Cleric needed a 20 to be able to turn in 9, and couldn't turn at all in 7 because the zombie had 8 hd. I noticed afterwards that they didn't take TWF penalties into account with the dual-wielding varag.

Zombimode
2022-01-15, 03:55 AM
I noticed afterwards that they didn't take TWF penalties into account with the dual-wielding varag.

Hm, checking his stat block everything seems to be in order: he has a bab of +2, Str 18 and uses masterwork weapons ammounting to a +7 attack bonus total. And his two-weapon full attack routine is stated with +5 for both weapons. Am I missing someting here?

But in general I can second Fizbans sentiment here. Especially the Runehound encounter has embeded itself in my memory as a "WTF?" moment.

RNightstalker
2022-01-16, 11:01 AM
Hm, checking his stat block everything seems to be in order: he has a bab of +2, Str 18 and uses masterwork weapons ammounting to a +7 attack bonus total. And his two-weapon full attack routine is stated with +5 for both weapons. Am I missing someting here?

But in general I can second Fizbans sentiment here. Especially the Runehound encounter has embeded itself in my memory as a "WTF?" moment.

If I did his TWF attack it would've been a TPK...It didn't help that the party wasn't rolling well (for example: the cleric rolled 4-5 straight 1's on cure light wounds) but 3/4 could only hit him on a nat 20.

Fizban
2022-01-16, 05:16 PM
Sorry I haven't been able to get back to this, but been Busy (the bad kind of busy). Dunno when I'll be able to.

RNightstalker
2022-01-16, 10:03 PM
Sorry I haven't been able to get back to this, but been Busy (the bad kind of busy). Dunno when I'll be able to.

I appreciate what feedback I can get when I can get it. No rush.