PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 crit ranges in 5e

Khrysaes
2022-01-13, 10:09 AM
Would it be a “good” thing to implement the 3.5 critical ranges for weapons in a 5e game
I.e the greatsword does 2d6 19-20/x2, the great ax does 1d12 20/x3? Or some other ones. To me it would add more meaningful choice between some weapons rather than just, it is x weapon but [insert damage type here]
For hexblade, champion and what have that increase range, just expand it by 1, so at level 3 champion greatsword is 18-20/x2 Etc. And the hexblade and champion dont stack.

Xervous
2022-01-13, 10:16 AM
Mainly feels like a buff to paladin. What is this supposed to add to the game?

Sillybird99
2022-01-13, 10:18 AM
IDK if itd be a good thing. It would be a buff to martials though, which is probably okay. It would make resolving attack rolls more noodly tho. Also, advantage mechanic just got way stronger. elven accuracy near guaranteed crit with some weapons.

Pildion
2022-01-13, 10:23 AM
Would it be a “good” thing to implement the 3.5 critical ranges for weapons in a 5e game
I.e the greatsword does 2d6 19-20/x2, the great ax does 1d12 20/x3? Or some other ones. To me it would add more meaningful choice between some weapons rather than just, it is x weapon but [insert damage type here]
For hexblade, champion and what have that increase range, just expand it by 1, so at level 3 champion greatsword is 18-20/x2 Etc. And the hexblade and champion dont stack.

Remember, you needed to roll to hit after that crit to confirm it in 3.5e, this would just be a straight buff to martials, though that may not be a horrible idea.

Psyren
2022-01-13, 10:33 AM
Personally I'd rather just buff Champion Fighter so that this is their "thing." Maybe also Assassin Rogue.

Saelethil
2022-01-13, 11:03 AM
I feel like applying this to the base weapon rules might be a hair too much but I’m not opposed to having it be a possible feature for magic or expertly crafted weapons. I recently put a cursed +1 dagger with a +1 crit range increase in the game I GM (which obviously ended up on the rogue) and I have yet to regret it. I just wouldn’t want it to be the assumed default of basic weapons.

Spiritchaser
2022-01-15, 07:30 PM
This would buff martials which is fine in principle but:

It would buff the part of martials that is, in most cases, actually ok, while neglecting the aspects that are deficient, that is, you’re buffing damage, which is the thing they generally can do, while doing nothing to boost their high level world bending abilities.

Now: you could argue that a dearth of non combat powers will vanish if you bury it under a sufficiently large pile of corpses. I wouldn’t, but I can see the point… except…

This particular buff is not an evenly distributed benefit across needy martials. It preferentially favours builds that can leverage critical hits, and as luck would have it… most of those are the ones that are already doing reasonably well thank you very much.

So… I think for this change to be an overall benefit you’d have to accept that martials are intended to hit hard but not much else, do some careful rebalancing of archetypes around crit damage, and then drop paladins down a well.

loki_ragnarock
2022-01-15, 08:24 PM
Crits suck this edition because unless you have rider dice they don't actually mean that much.

This is great for paladins, some types of warlocks, some types of bards, and rogues. Maybe rangers on a stretch, high level barbarians on a stretch, too.

Monks and Fighters still get the bone. Champions the boniest of all.

I'd say; if'n you're to do it, don't boost the crit ranges. Boost the number of dice added on a crit. Don't multiply; just add dice. Maybe the standard 1 extra for simple weapons, 2 extra for martial weapons, maybe 3 extra for pikes and tridents because they need the help.

Effectively, it'd be the same as (x2/x3/x4) without the insane implications that would have for paladins, some types of warlocks, and some types of bards.

Kane0
2022-01-15, 11:02 PM
I'd say; if'n you're to do it, don't boost the crit ranges. Boost the number of dice added on a crit. Don't multiply; just add dice. Maybe the standard 1 extra for simple weapons, 2 extra for martial weapons, maybe 3 extra for pikes and tridents because they need the help.

Effectively, it'd be the same as (x2/x3/x4) without the insane implications that would have for paladins, some types of warlocks, and some types of bards.

That sounds like a grand counterproposal, or if you want a narrower power band just one extra die with differing sizes. Which isnt too different from 4e's brutal weapon quality IIRC