PDA

View Full Version : Shahar, World's Greatest Detective IC: A Letter from a Friend

Pages : [1] 2 3

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 08:52 AM
OOC thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?641444-Shahar-World-s-Greatest-Detective&p=25333608#post25333608)

It was like any other day at Fortune's Wind. Shahar practiced her instruments with Delilah, had lunch with Polly who was feeding their six cats Claw, Teeth, Pounce, Bite, Mr. Whiskers, and all of their mother, Tor, who was very old.

Then it was a bit of combat training with grandma Zariel, who was always happy to spend time with Star (and maybe beat her up a little).

She prepared dinner with Mávro, who was distracted because Gina was expecting to be visiting from her alienist office further into the city, and Mávro was practicing speaking affectionately in Common.
"Hello, daughter. Hi, daughter. Gina. How are you. Gina, I am so happy to see you. Gina, you are my daughter and I love you."
Mávro sighed. "It never sounds right."
Mávro was so distracted that Star was able to sneak in some actual flavor.

After dinner Star took Aklah, Ishat and Rawr out for a fly over the forest, Star on Aklah's back. They flew until it was too dark to see properly, and when they came back Leff had a letter for Star.
"This came in the mail."

Hey, Star.
I know we were scheduled to meet up over Dream in about a month, but I don't think this should wait.
My dad got fired. He's taking it really hard. The librarian guy found an old document that I guess the school thinks he copied his thesis off of. He didn't, he'd never seen it before! The library's just being organized for the first time, how could he have...
Look, I'm sorry. I... I was wondering if you could come take a look. But I don't want to call too much attention to this and get people angry at my dad who don't need to be, so if you could leave anyone too famous behind I'd appreciate that.

Sorry to bother you like this,
Tanya

Valmark
2022-01-14, 03:42 PM
First thing upon getting back Shahar hugged her mother, giving her a peck on the cheek before grabbing the letter and opening it with a dagger.

I figured letters can come in envelopes even in the fake medieval fantasy.

Reading through the letter, Shahar gasped.
"I-I need to leave! Right now!" and bolted to her room to first pack up what she could comfortably carry then fetch a map to take with her for when she was traveling.

Or she would have until she remembered that it was goddamn far on foot, and went back to her mom.
"Hey, is teleportation conspicuos?" Shahar asked without context.

I couldn't think of a good reason to not ask.

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 03:48 PM
Leff chuckled. "Where are you going, Star?"

She asked, because she didn't read her daughter's mail.

Valmark
2022-01-14, 03:59 PM
"Neverwinter! Tanya needs me!" Shahar explained impatient "You won't tell mom and grandma, right? They'd want to intervene and Tanya said to not drag anybody famous in" she looked around with a conspiratorial look learned from watching Eris sneak up on Leff when the latter was working.

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 04:16 PM
"Relax, Star."
Leff got out some chalk. "The teleportation circle at Neverwinter is used by loads of travelers, it won't draw any suspicion at all." She gave Shahar a kiss on the head.
"And I know you can handle it."
She started drawing a circle sequence.

Valmark
2022-01-14, 04:44 PM
Shahar helpfully jumped in the middle of the circle while Leff scribed it on the ground.
"I know I can. I... Uh... Tell mom I'll be back soon, please" she said wistfully.

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 04:49 PM
"I'll tell her you're visiting Tanya, but I won't say there's trouble," Leff said. Then she winked. "Because there's nothing going on over there you can't handle."

Then Shahar was on fire.
That was okay, though, because after that she was stepping out into Neverwinter's busy port, where the river met the sea and travel was set up. She was approached by a bored-looking graycloak with a pen and pad.
"Welcome to Neverwinter, the Jewel of the North. I'll need your name and business in our fair city."

Valmark
2022-01-14, 05:03 PM
Shahar smiled brightly at the graycloak.
"Hi! Happy to meet you!" she offered a hand to shake "My name is Shahar and I'm only passing through! I think! I know I'm not staying right now, at least. I'm going to Wein House"

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 05:05 PM
His hands were full, so he just penciled in rich student. "Alright, enjoy your day." And he waved her on into the city proper.

Valmark
2022-01-14, 05:20 PM
"Thank you! Have a smile!" and Shahar smiled, prancing past the guard into Neverwinter. First thing she did was take the city in- it wasn't the first time she visited it, but it was the first time she was doing it alone.

It all felt new and wonderful, except for the reason she had come in. But she knew her and Tanya together could handle that.

Homewever she needed to grab a horse, as it was already nighttime and walking the whole way there would be tiring. She started looking for one to rent, or for a carriage to drive her there during the night at least.

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 05:58 PM
The port area was built around the warm river. It was why the place was called Neverwinter. Even this far north, the warm river coming down from Mount Hotenow kept the city temperate with no snow.

Shaundakul Stables were fairly close to castle Never, and the stablemaster was very happy to continually recommend a ride in a carriage pulled by actual live tigers.
But they also had horses.
"Oh, you just want to head to Wein? Well, there's going to be a group of students heading there in the morning. We have a full wagon that leaves the walls at dawn, only five copper to ride. But if you're in a rush, my tigers can get you there before first light! Five gold!"

Valmark
2022-01-14, 06:26 PM
Shahar looked at the tigers, evaluating wether to pet them or not. Being used to Aklah made those tigers look like little cuties.

"Is a driver included in the five gold carriage? Also are the tigers friendly?"

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 06:32 PM
"I'll drive you myself! And they're pretty friendly, when they've been fed. Speaking of..." he reached into a bucket and pulled out a few dead hares. "Chow time!" He threw them to the tigers, who pounced and ate up every sliver of meat on the conies.

Valmark
2022-01-14, 06:52 PM
"Ahwwww just like my sister. Except that she likes to stab and paralyze the deers before eating them while still alive and unable to stop her. I will pay the five gold" Shahar fished out her gold, counting five to pay the stablemaster.

"Three now, two when I get there?"

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 06:59 PM
His lips twitched.
"If you like, certainly. I'll get the carriage ready and meet you just outside."

He's feeling minorly insulted – like "you don't think I'm good for my promises?"
But is willing to write it down as a cultural difference.

Valmark
2022-01-14, 07:04 PM
"Alright! I should visit Neverwinter more often" Shahar patiently waited for the tigers to be done snacking before slowly stepping closer and trying to pet one. She didn't wanna exit the stables before being able to say that she pet a tiger.

And let's face it, all felines act the same. It's only their size and ability to kill that changes.

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 07:19 PM
Shahar scritched a tiger's head and pet it, and the tiger's tail switched as it contemplated killing her.
Then it decided not to and licked the back of its paw to groom itself, indifferent to her presence.

And with the moon high in the sky and the air warm with distant volcanic heat, they were off! Heading out into the night pulled by TIGERS!

Valmark
2022-01-14, 07:25 PM
Shahar stared at the tiger disappointed. But it was still soft fur so she got out with the small win and waited.

"Wo-hoo!" Shahar exulted when they were on the road. Looking out into the night sky, she murmured "Wait for me, Tanya"

But, since Shahar was determined to not rest until she met up with her friend, she called out to the stablemaster.
"Hey, uhm... I'm sorry, I haven't got your name. I'm Shahar. Say, is there a reason we should be silent or could I sing a song or something else to pass the time?" she inquired "I figure the road's safe but it can't hurt to ask"

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 07:28 PM
"Ah... you can sing a song if you like. M'name's Canter. Brendan Canter." He didn't use reins or a whip... seemed like the tigers just knew how to follow the road.
"So I take it you're a student over at Wein House?"

Valmark
2022-01-14, 07:41 PM
"Nope" Shahar shook her head "I'm visiting a friend of mine who's a student there, but I'm homeschooled" she clarified "Her father teaches there and he's in a bad spot, so I want to try and help" and then she whipped out her hurdy-gurdy.

Welcome, welcome, to the show of my life
Name's Shahar Lelahinn
Bear it in mind, 'cause you'll hear it in life

Archdevil for a grandma
Zariel's my teacher
Beats me up twice a day
Lovingly teaches the rest of the day

Delilah's my teacher
Notes are her work
And magic she is
Atop a pegasus
She guidances me

My sister Aklah
Is aggressive and protective
My siblings Ishat and Rawr
Are like my moms

Smart
Caring
Powerful
Determined
Beautiful

These are the Lelahinns
Shahar's the name
Pride of Fortune's Wind

Tanya's father, wounded by injustice
I will find the culprits
Reveal the dark secrets
And give him back his place!

Performance!

[roll0]

She sang all of that with a foot on the edge of the couch, striking an heroic pose. Shahar was the bard that sang her own song.

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 07:45 PM
The stablemaster hummed along, then at the end of the song seemed to think.
"Wait, Lelahinn? You're Eris and Leflabah Lelahinns' kid?"

Valmark
2022-01-14, 08:02 PM
"Yuuuuup. Blood of their blood and all that" Shahar leaned over with her head out of the carriage to talk to Brendan "You're looking at the one that will one day stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them! Family power!"

I think that ship sailed, Shahar. Aklah got to do family power for longer.

Xihirli
2022-01-14, 08:14 PM
Whether or not the ship sailed, Brendan set down three gold coins within reach from the back of the carriage.
"Your mothers saved my husband. He's a tiefling, like your parents. One of them? I was never clear on that. Zariel's cult wanted to kill him, and... well, now he's safe. So this ride's on the house."

Valmark
2022-01-16, 07:26 AM
"One of them" Shahar nodded, gracefully retrieving the gold- she had been teached the value of money and three gold coins were a big deal for her current finances "And I'm glad you can live happily with your one true love. What's he like?" she asked, wagging her tail.

Xihirli
2022-01-16, 08:54 AM
"Well, we met about twenty years ago. We were just getting started dating when all that crazy stuff happened. He's actually an explorer, he's the one who found these tigers as cubs, raised ol' Killer and Stripes here by hand."
By the sound of his voice, he was smiling.
"Oh. How about you? Anyone special in your life?"

Valmark
2022-01-16, 10:27 AM
"Not yet" Shahar slumped back in her seat "But I know my true love is out there and I'll find them. Like my aunts or my moms found each other! But hopefully without the attack on their city" she smiled wistfully.

I like to think that 'aunts' are basically the rest of Fortune's Wind named people who aren't blood-related or with a clearer family bond.

Xihirli
2022-01-16, 10:42 AM
Canter brought her past a field where about forty rabbits were hopping around while a goblin with a pen and paper was chasing them scribbling things down hastily.

And in the distance she could spot a stone tower.

Valmark
2022-01-16, 10:56 AM
"Is that... Normal around here?" Shahar asked pointing at the goblin... Seemingly taking notes about bunny hops.
"And that tower is Wein House?"

Xihirli
2022-01-16, 11:04 AM
"It's one of the buildings. I think mostly faculty are there." More buildings started coming into view, even a schoolside town.
"And I don't know, I think I've seen this once or twice on the way down here."

Valmark
2022-01-16, 11:40 AM
"I'll ask my friend about it" Shahar said, leaning over the entrance to look at the little town "As soon as I find her, at least"

Would Shahar know where exactly Tanya lives?

Xihirli
2022-01-16, 11:41 AM
I'm sure she's visited, yeah. She's in the town by the school.

"So where at? The school itself, or the town by it?"

Valmark
2022-01-16, 12:12 PM
"The town" Shahar said "Given the hour, she should be home. Sleeping. I don't think I will try to sneak in and surprise her"

Xihirli
2022-01-16, 01:07 PM
A suspicious thing to say she wouldn't be doing, but with her guidance Canter brought Shahar to the doorstop of a little house in between one well-cared-for but also small one, and another that was built of strong stone.
The door was closed.

Valmark
2022-01-16, 01:19 PM
"Thanks a bunch!" Shahar jumped down from the carriage and waved at Canter "I'll come say goodbye in town when I come back!"

Then she turned around and tried knocking to see if by any chance they could come open without Shahar asking really loudly.

Xihirli
2022-01-16, 01:22 PM
It took a solid forty seconds before the door opened and she saw a frazzled, tired Tanya with her hair messed up.
But she lit up seeing Shahar.
"Star!" she shouted, and grabbed Shahar in a big old hug.

Valmark
2022-01-16, 01:32 PM
"Tanya!" Shahar hugged her friend thightly "I came as soon as I got the letter- thanks to Brendan traveling all night got me here. How are you holding up?"

Shahar looked back towards the field and added "Also, why's there a goblin chasing rabbits with notes?"

Xihirli
2022-01-16, 01:37 PM
"You mean Gbedn? That's his job. Come on in." Tanya led Shahar in.
The entire house was littered with old books and maps, some of which were closed.
"I'm alright, but my dad's having trouble. I hope he's asleep-"
A door opened to a darker room. Tanya's father, Neil. "Is that your friend here?" His voice sounded stuffed up. Like he'd been crying.

Valmark
2022-01-16, 02:15 PM
"Yes, mister Neil" Shahar nodded not letting her face show her reaction to seeing him in that state "Good to see you. Tanya invited me over" she said, unsure if Tanya told her father why Shahar had come there.

Xihirli
2022-01-16, 02:24 PM
"Yes, well... I hope you don't mind if I wait until tomorrow morning to tell you all I know." He went back to bed.
Tanya looked clearly worried at Shahar.
"This school is everything to him. I don't... I don't know what he'll do if he can't teach here."

Valmark
2022-01-16, 07:00 PM
"And you'll never know because we'll save his job" Shahar held Tanya's hand "I promise you that. Are visitors allowed at Wein House? I'll need to check it out"

Xihirli
2022-01-16, 07:31 PM
"Normally, no. But tomorrow there’ll be an open guest lecture." She pulled out two passes. "One Da’s, but he’s uh… not coming. And the other I picked up from Professor Cobblecraft when the lecture was first announced – there’s not much seating, the place fills up fast. I figure once you get on campus you’ll have an easier time of blending in, and as long as you have the ticket you can say you got lost."

Valmark
2022-01-17, 07:44 PM
"Great- don't worry, I'm good at sneaking around" Shahar said "I can leave the rest of the questions to the morning, then. Should we sleep? Or... Kinda just take a nap as far as I'm concerned, I traveled all night"

Xihirli
2022-01-17, 08:37 PM
"Yeah, you should get a little." Tanya opened a door to her room.
"Did you get weird about sharing beds after puberty?" she asked, lying down but leaving room.

Valmark
2022-01-18, 06:28 PM
"It's not weird to stop and consider the privacy" Shahar protested, though she got in bed "It would be if I did that with someone I've snuggled with since we were children"

That and the fact that she wasn't gonna refuse a comfortable place to sleep right now.

"Sorry in advance if I rip something. My horns aren't pointed upwards like mom's"

Xihirli
2022-01-18, 07:30 PM
Tanya closed her eyes and tucked them both in. "Gnight, Star," she said, and soon was lightly breathing sleepily.

Shahar woke up to a slice of jam toast being waved in front of her face.
"Wake up, sleepy-head!" Tanya said. "Breakfast!"

Valmark
2022-01-19, 07:34 PM
Shahar's first sign that she was awake was her lunging with her teeth to bit the toast out of Tanya's hand.

The second was a small whine.
"It feels like I was awake only an hour ago"

Xihirli
2022-01-19, 08:49 PM
"Three hours. Now do you want me to explain the case to you or what?" Tanya let go of the toast once Shahar had a good grip of it.

Valmark
2022-01-20, 07:33 PM
"Go ahead" Shahar sat up in attention, munching on her toast but otherwise perfectly serious "I'm listening. I need to know everything"

Xihirli
2022-01-20, 10:46 PM
"Right. So, he's been working here for about ten years now, and what got him in was his thesis on the Netherese empire."
She rattled off a few bored facts about Netheril. "Anyway, earlier this week the librarian guy found an ancient document that he says my dad copied almost word for word, but we've never seen it before! Someone framed him! But... well, he lost his job. I need your help to clear his name."

Valmark
2022-01-21, 01:43 PM
"Alright" Shahar nodded "Is there anybody that has it out for your father? Someone that wanted to give his job to somebody else, or another reason to frame him?" she asked "I don't think it'd be hard for a fellow wizard to make a believable-looking document. Also, is this 'ancient' document in the library?"

Xihirli
2022-01-21, 01:48 PM
Tanya nodded. "Yeah, it should be there. As for enemies... no, none. He annoys a few students when he rambles, but I have no idea why anyone would want to get rid of him."
She passed Shahar a bundle of clothes. "Here. So you look like a student. I hope you're still my size."

Valmark
2022-01-21, 01:58 PM
Shahar sized her up.
"Nah, bet I could take you on just fine"

Pun aside, she took the clothes to change taking the chance since Tanya's father wasn't in sight- Shahar couldn't care less about Tanya seeing her change.
"Do you know who's getting the job in his place?"

Xihirli
2022-01-21, 02:03 PM
She shook her head. "They're still interviewing... right now his old assistant, Kotra Yousafzai, is teaching the class. But she's not expected to keep the job next year or anything."

Valmark
2022-01-22, 09:17 PM
"Would she help us?" Shahar asked "And who's the librarian?"

Xihirli
2022-01-22, 09:53 PM
"I think so... she's one of the people who got along with him best. The librarian is Leland Brooks."

Inventor of the Brooks Numerical System of library categorization. Probably the most famous librarian in the world.

Valmark
2022-01-24, 07:27 AM
"Great... Anybody else I should know about? Is your father up?" Shahar inquired "What kind of person is the librarian? Also what do Brooks and Kotra look like? To recognize them"

Xihirli
2022-01-24, 07:26 PM
"He's up. I don't know if he's a good person to talk to necessarily. Leland? He's alright. I never paid him much attention but dad says he took a lot of interest in other people's studies, very polite. Brooks is a little older than my dad, human. Fair skin. Kotra has more light brown skin and dark hair, also a human. A little older than you and me."

Valmark
2022-01-25, 06:44 PM
"I'm immediately suspicious of the person very interested in the studies of other people who just so happens to be the one that 'found' the incriminating text" Shahar frowned "Who's the subject when you say that you don't know if he's a good person to talk to?"

Xihirli
2022-01-25, 06:50 PM
"Dad. He hasn't... been the same, recently." Tanya looked very sad for a second. "But... if you want to stop by the library after we sneak out of the lecture, we could. See if Mr. Brooks is there."

Valmark
2022-01-25, 07:01 PM
"I'd like that. And hey" Shahar dragged Tanya into a hug and kissed her cheek "We'll get your father back his job, I promise you. Anything else I should know about that you can think of and I haven't asked?"

Xihirli
2022-01-25, 07:20 PM
"Uh... don't think so." Tanya hugged her. "Thank you so much, Star."

Valmark
2022-01-26, 07:26 PM
"Any time you need me, T" Shahar hugged Tania real tight.

"Shall we get the show on the road" and she geared up in earnest "Does the school have any kind of dress code I should abide to?"

Xihirli
2022-01-26, 07:41 PM
"You are wearing my school uniform," Tanya said, and put an identical outfit on over her simple shift.
"You should be good to go." Tanya passed Shahar a ticket to a lecture on dragons' origins in the stars with professor Helerieth Heli.

Valmark
2022-01-28, 06:50 PM
"Didn't the giants make dragons?" Shahar arched her nose looking at the title of the lecture "Also riiiight, I forgot I was wearing a uniform" she gave them a once over, to make sure they were ready to go.

"Alright, let's go" and Shahar left the house to go to Wein House.

Xihirli
2022-01-28, 07:17 PM
"I don't know, we'll find out I guess." Tanya led Shahar the long way. "I always try to go past the rabbit fields to get to school." She waved at the goblin scribbling down rabbit notes and said aww at a few of the bunnies.
"It starts the day off right."

Valmark
2022-01-30, 08:05 PM
Shahar waved alongside Tanya, though she didn't had the same reaction.
"I'm more of a cat person, but rabbits are cute as well" she nodded along with Tanya's words.

"And they say rabbits are a sign of good luck"

Xihirli
2022-01-30, 08:38 PM
Tickets were being checked ay the second tallest tower on campus. Climbing the stairs, they went almost to the top before being led into a crowded lecture hall. Tanya snatched up a pair of seats quick.
"Professor Heli doesn’t like waiting for people to sit down."

Indeed, a moon elf in front of a small solar system model was glowering at a few guests hesitant to fill in some seats.

Valmark
2022-02-01, 09:45 AM
Shahar obediently sat down besides Tanya.

"Is he likely to call us out if he sees us standing up?" Shahar asked in a whisper "Or can we leave whenever?"

Xihirli
2022-02-01, 11:43 AM
"We might have to create a distraction," Tanya whispered.
The moon elf woman, Professor Heli, was glowering at the last one to take a seat.
"...Ma'am, there's not quite enough seats, they're all taken."
After glancing around, Professor Heli confirmed this to be the case with some confusion.
"Alright, seems like the printers made one too many. Nyad, would you mind going and getting another desk?"
A dragonborn with glittering scales stood up with a nod and ran off.
"I'll begin while we wait.

Valmark
2022-02-02, 08:39 PM
"That should be easy" Shahar nodded "I've trained for this. The sound of loud whistling on the other side of the room should work"

You know the whistle when people don't like a show? That type of sound.

[roll0]

Xihirli
2022-02-02, 08:42 PM
I don't think that's a thing

The professor jerked back, glaring at the source of the whistling. Every student covered their mouths, shaking their heads.

Stealth to sneak away!

Valmark
2022-02-03, 06:56 PM
"Like a ghost" Shahar whispered, taking the moment to slip away.

[roll0] if Shahar rolls low, substitute 'ghost' with 'banshee'.

Wailing isn't sneaky.

Xihirli
2022-02-03, 10:39 PM
Shahar slipped out of the room, the door clicking quietly behind her. She heard the lecture continuing on the other side.
Free.

Valmark
2022-03-11, 09:02 PM
Great Shahar thought amused to herself "Now to find the library or Kotra"

Remind me, did Tanya sneak out as wel

Xihirli
2022-03-11, 09:55 PM
Tanya did not.

Shahar slunk down the stairs until she was out on the campus. The library was actually a ways away, with a few other buildings around that all looked academic.

Gimme investigation if you want to find the history building, or if you want you can hoof it for the library.

Valmark
2022-03-13, 12:50 PM
Shahar, who preferred finding a potentially friendly face, started looking for the history building to find Tanya's father's assistant.

Where would I be if I was teaching history as a substitute?

[roll0]

Xihirli
2022-03-13, 12:56 PM
Shahar immediately identified a more plain-looking building that smelled of books and ink. A history building wouldn't need space for labs, or telescopes, or anything like that, so she headed in. Very quickly, she glanced into a room being instructed by a light brown-skinned human who glanced at her, curious.
She still finished her sentence.
"...which is why the Red Wizards of Thay are still upheld as some of the greatest and most dangerous practitioners of magic to this day. I'm sorry, can I help you?"

Valmark
2022-03-13, 01:09 PM
Also why did past Valmark not grab anything related to investigating?

Shahar smiled.
"I think so. I'm looking for a teacher called Kotra Yusafzai. I was told she might know more about a personal matter regarding-" she enter and jogged up to the teacher to whisper "Neil Baker, I'm investigating"

Shahar wasn't sure wether she should be telling people what she was doing there, so the Hell Genasi decided to whisper it to the teacher instead of telling the whole class.

Xihirli
2022-03-13, 02:26 PM
"Ah... right. Could you sit down, talk to me after class?" she asked. "That is me, by the way. I'm Miss Yousafzai."

Valmark
2022-03-13, 04:33 PM
"How long does class last?" Shahar inquired first. If she wanted a lesson she could've stayed with Tanya.

Xihirli
2022-03-14, 09:20 AM
"We're about halfway done. It will only be a little over a half-candlemark now..." Kotra glanced at the door as loud bells tolled five times.
"Okay, I'm going to have to ask everyone to take your seats and stay there for a bit." She went to her desk, searching for paper.

Valmark
2022-03-14, 11:27 AM
"Yes ma'am!" Shahar turned to the class, checking out which free desks there were and if there were any cool-looking people next to said desks.

Because if she was to attend to a class Shahar never attended before she was gonna do that together with the best students there were.

Xihirli
2022-03-14, 11:33 AM
A lot of the students there mostly looked bored. But there were a collection of attentive students right next to a free desk.

Kotra started scribbling on parchment. "Could I have your name?" She asked Shahar.

Valmark
2022-03-14, 01:01 PM
Shahar slinked gracefully into the free desk, beaming.

"Shahar" she said, then elbowed her deskmate to whisper "What are we learning about? Red mages?"

Xihirli
2022-03-14, 10:05 PM
"Red Wizards of Thay. Soon we’ll be going into the War of the Zulkirs."

Should I skip, or would you like to learn about the War of the Zulkirs and the Red Wizards of Thay?

Valmark
2022-03-15, 11:19 AM
"Neat"

Hit me with it.

Xihirli
2022-03-15, 01:28 PM
"The Red Wizards used their hoarded arcane knowledge to expand Thay, largely invading the chaotic Rasheman and Aglarond. It was in 1081 DR that they first approached Neverwinter, and they managed to defeat the city's arcane core, the covenant, in 1101."
It was a lot of "roar they are evil" stuff.
"I will ask you all to please head directly to your dorms on your way out," Kotra said when the class ended. "And Shahar, would you please stay after?"

Valmark
2022-03-16, 07:26 AM
ºOf course Neverwinter people would call them evil after having been defeatedº but Shahar didn't say it out loud.

"Yes ma'am!" the girl politely remained seated, waiting for the students to get out of the way so that she could talk freely.

Xihirli
2022-03-16, 08:59 AM
Kotra walked over to Shahar's desk, and once the place was clear she whispered, urgently:
"That bell in the middle was our signal to get down the name of everyone here. I believe something horrible has happened, and they're trying to find out just who did it."

Valmark
2022-03-16, 10:47 AM
"Something horrible?" Shahar asked and stood up "We should go see what happened then. Mmm... Would your collegues be suspicious of a stranger in the campus?" she asked rapidly.

"And do you know where to go? I don't know my way around. Yet, at least"

Xihirli
2022-03-17, 08:16 AM
"Yes," Kotra answered. "And I don't know where to even start, that bell can only communicate so much." She frowned.
"I hope it doesn't involve Neil."

Valmark
2022-03-17, 08:33 AM
"I hope so too" Shahar stood up "Speaking of which, I was hoping you could help me find out the truth behind him getting fired. I want to check the library, see this document for myself- the best thing we can do is investigate at this point" she turned towards the exit to the class.

"You worked with him, what do you know about that? Tanya, his daughter, said nobody had any reason to frame her father- that true?"

Xihirli
2022-03-17, 09:18 AM
"Nothing really comes to mind," Kotra said. "He didn't make any enemies as a history teacher."
"Do you really want to be seen poking around and such after that alarm was sounded? Now's exactly when the Starshine Watch will be out and about."

Valmark
2022-03-17, 11:03 AM
"And the Starshine Watch is?" Shahar inquired "Well, couldn't you vouch for me? I was with you at the time. And it wouldn't be weird for a teacher and her assistant to poke around the library" she insisted.

"Besides, Tanya's at the conference so you're the only friendly face around. Unless it ended. In which case I don't know where she is. Anyway- do you know if anybody's already in list to take Neil's job?"

Xihirli
2022-03-17, 02:32 PM
"Law enforcement in the academy," Tanya said. "All classes should be done for the day... and alright, we could head to the library together. As for replacements... I believe there are three applicants on their way here to be interviewed."

Valmark
2022-03-18, 09:20 PM
"Then we must get him his job back before then" Shahar stood to leave.

"Oh uhm can we pass in front of the conference room first?" she showed Kotra the ticket Shahar had sneaked in with "Just want to make sure everything's alright, I saw Tanya last in there"

Xihirli
2022-03-18, 09:45 PM
"The guest lecture? At the astrology tower?" Kotra confirmed.
"Yeah, we can do that." Kotra gathered up a few papers and slipped them into a cheap-looking case. "Alright, I'm ready to go."

Valmark
2022-03-19, 03:44 AM
"The one teached by professor Heli" Shahar confirmed. She... Didn't gather her stuff because she hadn't pulled anything out, and when Kotra was ready Shahar exited the room to go to the astrology tower, apparently.

Just to be clear, I don't want Shahar to enter. Checking from outside the room should be good enough and covert enough.

Xihirli
2022-03-19, 07:06 AM
They were halfway up the stairs of the tower when Tanya tackled Shahar in a hug.
"How did it go?" she asked. "Find anything?"

Valmark
2022-03-19, 08:23 AM
"Tanya!" Shahar hugged her real tight.

"Well, I found Kotra. Unfortunately I didn't really know my way around- and according to her the bell tolls from earlier meant something bad happened" she explained "So I wanted to check on you before heading to the library"

Xihirli
2022-03-19, 10:50 AM
"Yeah, we heard the bells too," Tanya said. "Professor Heli took special care to take note of everyone present. But nothing happened here."

Valmark
2022-03-19, 12:43 PM
"Let's hope we don't find the library in flames, then" Shahar said thinking of the next worst case scenario "Let's go there" and turned around to hurry up to the library.

Xihirli
2022-03-19, 03:28 PM
They half-jogged to the library.
It looked fine.
The librarian was headed by a hobgoblin woman who looked up as they entered.
"Hello, Gaaki. We just wanted to show the library to this prospective student."
"Didn't you hear the bells?" She asked. "There's danger, I'm closing down the library."

Valmark
2022-03-19, 05:11 PM
"We can defend you ma'am- at least I can" Shahar offered, trying to look as capable as she thought she was "Professor Yousafzai also said the watch would be active following the bells, so there shouldn't be any safer time to be out"

Persuasion? [roll0]

Xihirli
2022-03-19, 05:27 PM
Gaaki glanced outside and sighed. "Alright, come in. I'll close up behind you, let me know when you're done."

Valmark
2022-03-20, 07:57 PM
"Thank you!" Shahar beamed happily and started perusing.

Before doing anything, the librarian's waiting inside yes?

Xihirli
2022-03-20, 09:22 PM
Yes, she is indoors. You're looking for the document that Neil is accused of copying?

Valmark
2022-03-21, 06:39 AM
For now, yes that. I don't know anything else Shahar is on the look out for- I can question the librarian later-ish.

Xihirli
2022-03-21, 03:11 PM
Shahar found the history section, but a quick perusal showed that the document Neil was accused of copying wasn't there.

Valmark
2022-03-24, 08:23 AM
"Is this everything you've got on Netheril's history?" Shahar asked "My mom told me some stuff about Netheril and I was curious what you had on that? I mostly just know about a few famous people"

I'm gonna assume Shahar could have learnt about Netheril/Larloch/Vecna/Osterneth from her moms/Sirthis.

Xihirli
2022-03-24, 12:23 PM
"The library's still being categorized," Tanya said. "So a lot of it is still unsorted. But it's possible the thesis is kept separately. You know, because it's evidence. We might have to request it specifically."

Valmark
2022-03-30, 08:09 PM
Shahar turned to Kotra.

"Any chance you have the autorithy to request the document for us to see? The one that Neil supposedly copied from?"

Xihirli
2022-03-30, 09:48 PM
Kotra shook her head. "Sorry, I'm basically just a long-term substitute. But Gaaki would be safeguarding it. There's no better place to preserve old documents than the back room of the library. If you can convince her..."
Kotra didn't finish the sentence.

Valmark
2022-03-31, 08:39 PM
"Very well" Shahar turned around and backtracked to the librarian.

"Hi!" she said "Can I ask if there's anything else I could look at regarding Netheril?"

Xihirli
2022-04-01, 09:53 PM
"There is much," Gaaki answered. "We're still organizing the library, plenty is unsorted. Is there anything in particular I can help you find?"

Valmark
2022-04-03, 04:36 PM
"I heard that recently a document a teacher copied from about Netheril was found here" Shahar stated, after deciding that she couldn't find a good way to tiptoe around the subject "I'd like to consult the original source"

I considered namedropping the Lelahinns but I figured Shahar would at least try to get through this without pulling the Mommy card.

Xihirli
2022-04-03, 08:27 PM
"Ah," Gaaki said. "It's in Mr. Brooks's office. I'll have to ask him about it tomorrow. You could come back then, if you would like."

Valmark
2022-04-04, 07:53 PM
"Why not now? He isn't in? Or it's because of the bells?" Shahar asked, not really wanting to come back the next day.

Xihirli
2022-04-04, 08:59 PM
"He finished for the day several hours ago," Gaaki answered.
"You don't have a key?"
"I'm not going to open his office to you all."

Valmark
2022-04-06, 07:53 PM
"Why not?" Shahar asked "If it's about privacy it's not like we'll snoop around the belongings of somebody else- even if it wasn't a matter of decency, Professor Yousafzai and you could get in a lot of trouble if we messed around. And last thing I want is put you two in trouble after having been this gentle" but she was gonna do it if need be.

Xihirli
2022-04-08, 05:53 PM
Gaaki stared hard at Shahar.
Gimme persuasion!

Valmark
2022-04-10, 07:14 PM
Shahar stared back. Not very aggressively.

I just realized I don't have lockpick proficiency so if this roll fails it'll be worse then I thought.

[roll0]

Xihirli
2022-04-11, 10:39 AM
Gaaki stood. "I'll see if I can go get it," she said, and unlocked a nearby door.
After half a minute, she came back out with a brown, chipped and aged scroll. She passed it to Shahar.
"I hope you succeed," she said. "Neil was very kind when... not many were."
She didn't jump into details.

Valmark
2022-04-11, 07:35 PM
Shahar decided that it was not the time to pry into her business, probably.

Seeing that the scroll looked old, she was careful in unfolding it to examine the contents.

Does it feel old to the touch? Anything weird about it?

Xihirli
2022-04-11, 08:08 PM
Make an investigation or Intelligence (Forgery Kit) check

Valmark
2022-04-12, 07:39 PM
"Kotra, Tanya, know anything about scrolls?"

Could I get advantage from working together with the other two?

Investigation [roll0]
Potential advantage [roll1]

Xihirli
2022-04-12, 08:45 PM
Kotra glanced it over.
If it was a forgery, it was a good one.

"Will you be checking it out?" Gaaki asked.

Valmark
2022-04-13, 08:36 PM
"Yes" Shahar unfurled the scroll to read what it actually said after examining the exterior.

Xihirli
2022-04-14, 09:07 AM
The text is in a very old styling of Common, which Kotra helped Shahar parse.

From the pen of Deneir, the First Scribe

It was in those days when the connection between elves and men were first severed. The elves, at first seen by the settling freedpeople escaping from the remnants of the Aboleths' Empire as helpers guiding them to live on their own, soon became distrusted by humans.
Humans, unlike elves, sought to settle, till soil, burn forests to make room for more crops, and build castles of stone. Elves sought to dissuade them from these practices, and thought that if humans understood magic, then they would be able to see the natural world for the beautiful thing the elves did: something to live in harmony with, not conquer.
The first humans to be taught this magic became known as the Netherese.
As for how the Netherese rose to power and created their empire: Is it not written in my annals of the book of the emperors?
But after the rise of their cities, as humankind showed that they saw magic as just another natural force to conquer like gravity or the forests, the Netherese severed all ties with the elves who would no longer share magical secrets with them, calling them traitors.
This work shall explore all known exchanges between the Netherese and the Elven Civilizations during this period, as some of the Netherese defied orders and visited the elves, and more human farmers turned toward the elves rather than the Netherese as they grew to fear the cities flying above them, claiming to protect them.

Firstly we shall discuss the Netherese City of Aquessir, which under the rulership of Grand Arcanist Requiar, maintained friendly, if tense, relationships with the elves. The other major enclave that continued dealings with the elves was Mazzel, under Grand Arcanist Vecna, though these visits were more tense as he attempted to partner with the elven magic users to take on the Phaerrim, which the elves preferred to avoid.

Secondly the cultural exchanges forced upon the Netherese, as the farmers on the surface world they depended on to feed their cities more and more sought out elvish help when under attack by orcs and Phaerrim. This shall make up the vast bulk of...

It's a long document.

Valmark
2022-04-17, 10:21 AM
"Contents check out, I think. Though it wouldn't have been hard to make a fake document with Neil's words" Shahar frowned "Where was this document? The exact place I mean. Maybe there's something to be seen there"

Xihirli
2022-04-17, 11:21 AM
"I am not the one who found it," Gaaki said. "But it was in one of the most recently sorted parts of the library, nearer the back."

Valmark
2022-04-18, 05:07 PM
"Who exactly found it?" Shahar asked, and stood up to go inspect the spot the scroll had been found in hoping there was something.

"And thinking about it... How could Neil have copied from this scroll if it was lost before now?"

Xihirli
2022-04-19, 08:12 AM
"Not lost," Gaaki corrected. "Unsorted."
"The library has been in use for generations," Kotra explained. "But we've only just recently been resorting it under the Brooks Numerical System."

"Yeah," Tanya said glumly. "He could have found it at any point he was a student here."

Valmark
2022-04-20, 08:07 PM
"I hear Brook mentioned awfully often uh" Shahar said "He's also the guy very interested in other people's works right?" she was starting to be a little suspicious "You all know him well?"

She went to inspect the sorted out sections.
"How does the System work?"

Xihirli
2022-04-20, 09:01 PM
"Not well," Tanya said. "He's the head librarian."

Gaaki passed her a sheet on the desk.

Brooks Numerical System

000-099........Human relationships
100-199........Mathematics and Numbers
200-299........Natural sciences
300-399........Social sciences (Macro)
400-499........Social sciences (Micro)
500-599........Language

Valmark
2022-04-21, 07:28 PM
"Mmm... Brooks isn't in his office, she said" Shahar murmured, though keeping that thought to herself as she checked the list.

"When you say unsorted you mean that it had a different pattern from the one you're using now or or that there was no sense to the books' locations? I'd guess even if it was unsorted there was a criteria to it" she then smiled reassuringly at Tanya.

Basically Shahar wants to know if the document should have been where it was found, or if it was apparently randomly placed there.

"Unless he was considerably dumb when he was our age I think he'd have destroyed the incriminating document if he had copied from it, no? And probably could have had published it much earlier. Besides, who copies word for word when trying to pretend other people's work is theirs?"

Xihirli
2022-04-21, 09:36 PM
Gaaki leaned forward. "You don't have to convince me," she said almost in a whisper. "Neil wouldn't do this."
Tanya smiled at that, and the librarian went on.
"It was unsorted before, there was no place for anything, really."

Valmark
2022-04-22, 02:27 AM
"Alright... I know this is a lot to ask, but couldn't we check out Brook's office? Since he found it and all?" Shahar asked "Scroll looks legit, but this doesn't tell much coming from me. It was appraised by somebody expert in it, right? Or at least identified in case it's magical?"

Xihirli
2022-04-22, 02:35 PM
"If you want a record of the testing of the document, follow me," Gaaki said. "But I can't let you into his office." She stood and started walking for the back of the classroom.

"There's not all that much access to magic here," Tanya explained. "The big magical provider around Waterdeep was the Church of Pelor. And... well," she shrugged.

Valmark
2022-04-22, 06:30 PM
"Mmm... Then it could be magically counterfeited. And yeah, I'd like that" Shahar hurried after Gaaki, meanwhile thinking how to sneak into Brook's office without lockpicks.

Xihirli
2022-04-23, 06:56 AM
Gaaki took her into a back office where a table was set up seemingly to test old documents. There was a brief outline on the table for determining ancient papers' authenticity, the first being a comparison of the browning of the parchment with other works of the same age.
Others included a comparison of penmanship and diction with other writers of the era, and luckily Deneir had enough preserved works that they could compare it directly.

The document had passed all tests of the kind.

Valmark
2022-04-24, 07:42 PM
Who's Deneir?

"Who conducted the tests? How long does it take to test a paper for autenticity?"

Xihirli
2022-04-24, 08:42 PM
History check

"Leland. Not long, perhaps a half-day of study," Gaaki said.
"We don't exactly have an expert in forgery on hand."

Valmark
2022-04-27, 01:15 PM
"The same person that found it also checked it's autenticity?" Shahar clarified.

If Leland isn't guilty I've been completely bamboozled.

History check! [Rol1d20+1[/roll]

EDIT: It's a 10.

Xihirli
2022-04-27, 02:49 PM
"That's right," Tanya said.
"Why do you ask?"

Valmark
2022-04-28, 08:38 PM
"It's all kinds of suspicious" Shahar said "It is extremely unlikely that Niel somehow wrote exactly the same text Leland found. Assuming Niel's innocence means that the text was counterfeited somehow- this takes us to Leland. It was him who claimed that Niel copied his work off of the document, document that Leland found- and Leland was also the one that tested its autenticity. If he made a forgery it would obviously pass the tests he himself 'administered'. And according to you your father said that Leland has a lot of interest in other people's work- that makes it quite likely that he had been inquiring after Niel's work" Shahar concluded.

"It could be all a coincidence, of course. Or... It could not" Shahar looked pensive.
"Also, are there records of ex-students? Or records of when books and the like became part of the library? Could we puzzle out wether Niel actually had the chance to copy from it or not when he was a student?"

Xihirli
2022-04-28, 08:48 PM
"I can get you the student records for when Neil was attending tomorrow morning," Kotra offered.
"And I can lead you to Leland's house for snooping," Tanya said. "Whenever you want."

Valmark
2022-04-29, 07:23 PM
"Very well" Shahar gave the incriminating document back to Gaaki "I can't think of anything else to try in the library. Is Leland's house outside the campus?'

Xihirli
2022-04-29, 08:40 PM
"Yeah," Tanya said. "He doesn't live too far from me and Da."

Valmark
2022-05-01, 06:31 AM
"Then let's go check it out" Shahar nodded "Lead the way. Hopefully he isn't home. And yeah, I'd like those records, Miss Yousafzai"

Xihirli
2022-05-01, 07:15 AM
Kotra nodded as Tanya grabbed Shahar's hand and led her down the road to Neil's home, and then past it.

The nearby town to the academy seemed to be mostly populated by staff and faculty, with many of the houses being rather simple and spare.

One of them... was not. Brooks's home was well-built and well-kept, with a quaint garden that wasn't in blooming season and a fine oak door.

It was locked.

Valmark
2022-05-01, 07:41 AM
"Alright let's see if there's a way in" Shahar suggested and started looking around the house "I'd rather not have to brute force it or try to steal his keys"

Perception? Are there open windows that look accessible/some other way of getting in that wouldn't leave traces?

Xihirli
2022-05-01, 09:23 AM
Shahar finds an open window leading into the garden.

Yeah, give me perception and stealth as you go in.

Valmark
2022-05-01, 09:37 AM
"Hopefully he hasn't trapped anything" Shahar murmured sneaking in.

Perception! [roll0]
Stealth! [roll1]

Xihirli
2022-05-01, 09:52 AM
Shahar and Tanya crept into the house. It was pretty dark and Shahar was mostly looking out for watching eyes.

So she almost tripped over the dead body on the floor.

Valmark
2022-05-01, 10:55 AM
Shahar suppressed what was gonna be a very loud curse and turned around to check on what she tripped.

Then she jumped back to Tanya in fright suddenly seeing a corpse.
"T-tell me that's not Leland" she hissed to her friend, trying not to look too much at it.

I'm thinking Shahar has probably seen a few bodies but she's still fairly inexperienced and also probably never actually killed somebody.

Just enough that she wouldn't yell scared seeing one (as part of her training) but not enough to be comfortable.

Xihirli
2022-05-01, 12:05 PM
As Shahar lit a torch, Tanya covered her mouth and jumped back.
He had a nasty crack on the head, and a shattered teacup in front of him.

"That... that's him."

Valmark
2022-05-01, 12:45 PM
"Alright... Let's calm down" Shahar said, taking deep breaths- she took Tanya's hand.
"We need to find everything we can in here- anything that can clue us in on who entered and what reason they could have had. And not a word to anybody we don't think we can trust" turning around, she decided to start from the most gruesome part.

Checking the body.
Is there a clue to the teacup content? How does the wound look? What's he wearing? In which direction is the body turned? Anything in the pockets?

Xihirli
2022-05-02, 03:45 PM
Tanya clenched Shahar's hand tight. "Okay, okay, okay," she hyperventilated. "Oh... ew, ew, ew. What can I do to help? Ohhh." She gagged and covered her mouth.

Okay, in order:

To examine the teacup for anything fishy, Wisdom (Poisoner's Kit) or Wisdom (Nature)
To examine the wound, Wisdom (Medicine)
He's wearing a pretty good-quality tunic.
He is turned toward the window you came from, face on the ground.
Investigation to find anything he has on him and just look for general clues.

Valmark
2022-05-03, 05:09 AM
"I'll try to work on the body, search the garden for starters. We can assume he didn't see the attacker coming or heard anything suspicious, or he wouldn't have walked out with his tea- unless the attacker was a friend. Look if you find anything that can make us think the attacker was hiding in here" Shahar told her quickly, wanting to get Tanya to work on something that wouldn't make her vomit.

Ugh, these are my nice clothes Shahar thought to herself.

Nature for teacup: [roll0]
Medicine for wound: [roll1]
Investigation: [roll2]

Is the blow on the back or the front of the head? Right, center or left side? How much blood is there around the corpse/on the corpse.

Xihirli
2022-05-03, 08:33 AM
Tanya nodded and climbed the window again, searching.

I call this a 50/50 shot. On a 50 or below, you DIDN'T trample over some footprints on your way in. [roll0]
Now Tanya! Investigation! [roll1]

Shahar sniffed the teacup. It just smelled like tea. But she immediately spotted something that challenged her earlier assumption:
Behind Leland (and he was hit on the back of the head, there was a decent amount of blood), set on the table, was another teacup. Still full, on the chair across from one that was knocked over.
Looking at the wound, Shahar couldn't really tell what had made it until she realized something: There was no teapot around in the kitchen.

Sadly, that was really al she could get from the well-kept kitchen and tea table. It was nice, there were doilies. Searching Leland's pockets and clothes came up empty.

Valmark
2022-05-03, 07:26 PM
"Seems like he had a guest over and that's who killed him" Shahar recounted "I'm not quite sure why the chair's knocked over, but it looks likely the teapot is the murder's weapon. I'd assume the killer took it away since it's proof. Found anything?" she asked Tanya.

Xihirli
2022-05-03, 07:49 PM
"I don't think these are our footprints. But we stepped on them a little coming in. It's hard to tell much... I think these are from a woman, though. And not a dwarf... the feet aren't wide enough."
Tanya climbed back in and tried not to look down.
"Should we... report this?"

Valmark
2022-05-04, 07:49 PM
"I'm... Not sure" Shahar looked at Tanya, unsure of how to say the next sentence.

"Everybody... Everybody would suspect your father if we don't have any proof he couldn't have been here. He had a reason to, after all" she said "And the killer might count on it. We might have to check if the murder weapon was planted in his things"

Xihirli
2022-05-04, 10:00 PM
Tanya's eyes widened.
"But... if we leave here without reporting it, people might think it was US..." she insisted.
"Um... okay. Oh my gods..." She started to hyperventilate.

Also, is there anything else in the house you want to check out?

Valmark
2022-05-05, 03:42 AM
"Hey hey Tanya" Shahar hurried to her side and held her hand "It's gonna be fine. We'll report this if you're scared- let's at least first check that nobody planted the weapon in your father's room, then we go straight to the watch. Alright?" she asked "Let's check out the house- Leland must have had a study or something. If we're lucky, we can find a diary or something that will give us clues on who he was meeting with"

Xihirli
2022-05-05, 05:49 AM
Besides the kitchen, there is a loft and a living space, each decorated up well-to-do.
In the bedroom there was a large clothing chest at the foot of a bed, a desk by the door, a leather bag well-constructed and filled with papers, and a painting of a particularly nice sunset adorning a wall.

Valmark
2022-05-05, 07:06 AM
"Have a look through the papers, check if there's anything we could need at a glance- you're more familiar with his writing then I. Afterwards we'll leave" Shahar checked the desk for anything useful meanwhile.

Xihirli
2022-05-05, 07:48 AM
Tanya opened em up.

Tanya: [roll0]

And you roll one as well.

Valmark
2022-05-05, 07:55 AM
"Hopefully there's something good"

[roll0]

Wow we suck at sleuthing.

Xihirli
2022-05-05, 08:52 AM
Searching the desk and the case, both of the young women located long essays and charts and diagrams about library science.

At one point Shahar shifted the portrait and got a glance at something built into the wall behind it.

Valmark
2022-05-05, 09:02 AM
"I think there may be something here" Shahar said "Help me take the portrait off" and started working to clear the way and take a look at what was built into the wall.

Xihirli
2022-05-05, 09:04 AM
Tanya lifted on the other side and Shahar saw a metal safe built into the wall behind the portrait, locked. It needed a key.

Valmark
2022-05-05, 09:20 AM
"Help me search the clothing chest in case he hid a key there" Shahar suggested going over to the only thing she hadn't check yet that might have hidden objects.
"If we can't find it... I guess there's not much else to find here"

Xihirli
2022-05-05, 11:00 AM
Tanya opened the clothing chest and rifled through it.

Investigate advantageously!

Valmark
2022-05-05, 07:47 PM
Shahar did as well.

Can I use Tanya's +2 instead of Shahar's +1?

[roll0] adv. [roll1]

Xihirli
2022-05-05, 07:54 PM
Shahar felt along the bottom of the dresser and felt a crack… a uniform one. There was a false bottom. Pulling on it and pushing through with her arm, she withdrew a small key.

Valmark
2022-05-06, 06:04 AM
"Score" she picked up the key and went and tried it in the safe.

Xihirli
2022-05-06, 06:34 AM
The safe opened up and inside were... more papers. Documents. The first one being a ledger.

Leland's Ledger

Client
Problem
Interested?
Amount
Frequency

Geoffrey Wylie
Loves teaching too much
Y
5 g
Monthly

Jessamine Longbranch
F to A
Y
5 s
Monthly

Leander Hastings
Home renovations
Y
10 g
Yearly

Vakgar
Salary
N

Miriel Downey
Gambling
N

Neil Baker
Originality
N

Valmark
2022-05-06, 06:59 AM
"I think... I think Leland was either lending money for interest, or simply taking money" Shahar said looking the ledger over then showing it to Tanya "Is Jessamine Longbranch a student? Do your votes go from F to A? She might have been paying him for better grades. Not entirely sure what's the deal with Geoffrey though"

Xihirli
2022-05-06, 08:13 AM
"She's a good student, I never knew she even got an F," Tanya said. "But yeah, this is... I don't understand it. What's this other stuff?" She picked up a letter.

Vakgar.
We have received your application and are Interested in hiring you. However, your lack of on-the-job experience an issue. I believe it to be a surmountable one. If you could stop by the fifth full house from the school in the off-campus staff living area, I am prepared to observe you demonstrating your talents.
Well wishes,
Leander Hastings

Valmark
2022-05-06, 05:14 PM
"Mmm...?" Shahar frowned "Do you know which house it's pointing at?" she asked Tanya reading the letter "A letter from Leander to Vakgar... Leander is on Leland's ledger as a paying client, but not Vakgar. Do you know who they are? What's their job?"

Xihirli
2022-05-06, 05:26 PM
"I don't know Vakgar, but Leander is one of the deans," Tanya said. "The Deans are in charge of the school."

Valmark
2022-05-06, 06:19 PM
"Mmm... Think Leland hid this away because he wanted newcomers that he could extort money from? This looks like a reply to a job application" Shahar proposed "Do you know which one is the fifth full house from the school in the off-campus staff living area?"

Is Niel in the ledger?

Xihirli
2022-05-06, 06:34 PM
Oh crap. I forgot to fix his name.

Valmark
2022-05-06, 06:43 PM
"We have motive" Shahar held the ledger up together with the letter "Neil wasn't alright with Leland's affair, and refused. Thus Leland forged the document that made Neil lose his job, hoping to get someone that would dance along Leland's tune- he had the knowledge and occasion. Leland conducted all the tests so it'd have been easy to falsify them- and also hid the letter where Leander invited Vakgar over, as Vakgar also didn't want anything to do with him"

Then she sighed.
"Unfortunately this kinda gives also a motive for your father to murder Leland, homewever by the looks of it he would be just one of those with motive. And if we haven't trampled the footprints enough the watch may be able to confirm that he wouldn't have left them- if only we had an idea where to find the murder weapon it'd be great. But it's a start. And besides, how would your father have known that it was Leland's fault? Think we should go to the guards with this?" she exhibited her Lelahinn ring "Hopefully this would give us enough autorithy to be listened to. Like you said, hiding the murder may end up making the guards hostile to us"

After a moment Shahar went back to the corpse to try and guess how much time before he had been killed.

Xihirli
2022-05-07, 06:02 AM
"Hold up, there's more in here," Tanya said, taking out stacks of paper. "We should probably get going before we read them all, though. I uh... don't want to be here when the Watch arrives."

You already failed the medicine check to examine the body. You gather it's been less than a day.

Valmark
2022-05-07, 08:40 AM
Shahar grabbed the papers.
"Yeah, let's go" she said, going to the window and trying to not stomp on the presumed killer's footprints any more.

"So, you know where the guards' barrack is?" Shahar asked Tanya "I figure we should warn them now"

Xihirli
2022-05-07, 09:05 AM
"Yeah, this way." Tanya opened her pack so they could stash the papers and led Shahar a little out of the way of the village to a stone building large enough for a pair of holding cells. A human was manning the guard station, and looked up in attention when Tanya waved.
"Ah!" She screamed.
"What? What is wrong?"

Valmark
2022-05-07, 09:16 AM
"My name is Shahar of House Lelahinn" Shahar exhibited the ring to prove her words "We were investigating a case of fraud but we found our main suspect dead- Leland Brooks is dead in his home, seemingly attacked by someone he had invited over about a day ago" she explained, trying to look as serious and proper as possible. She was still a teenager after all.

"We came here to report the murder and request your cohoperation in the investigation" she held up the stack of papers "We also have found proof of him extorting money and stealing correspondance, though that's likely the least important bit. Anybody we can talk with?"

Xihirli
2022-05-07, 09:50 AM
"Hold up, let me write this down."
And grabbing a pen and parchment, he scribbled everything he could down.
"I can send people to the librarian's house right away. Can I have that evidence, please?" He nodded to the papers.

He didn’t seem to personally recognize the Lelahinn name.

Valmark
2022-05-08, 07:17 AM
What kinda backwater people are they to not recognize a Lelahinn!

"As soon as I'm done looking through it" Shahar held out what she had already looked at "I need to know who the suspects are. Though I wouldn't mind looking them over inside the barracks" she turned to Tanya.

"If you want to go back home in case your father is getting worried I don't mind, I'm not sure how long it'll take"

Xihirli
2022-05-08, 08:05 AM
He pursed his lips and took a look at the family ring.
"Yes, why don't you go inside," he said, and speedily stepped further in.

He is going to go talk to a superior about whether to take the evidence from you outright.

Valmark
2022-05-08, 08:54 AM
"On second thought, I will wait until you decide wether we should work together or not" Shahar said "Wouldn't want to impose"

Alright, time to quickly look at the pages with Tanya. Shahar is mostly interested in those that figure in Leland's ledger, of course.

Xihirli
2022-05-08, 09:43 AM
They only managed to locate one more piece of evidence related to the names: the actual physical mathematics test that Jessamine had failed.
Then a woman in slightly better armor with another band built into her chain shirt approached.
"Shahar Lelahinn. I understand you wish to... work in partnership with us," she said. "I must tell you, that's highly irregular. Why should we bring in a civilian?"

And add a Persuasion while you're at it.

Valmark
2022-05-08, 10:06 AM
"Because I'm not. Shahar of House Lelahinn" she presented herself again "From the greastest school of heroes there is. Civilians are those I'm sworn to protect'

Then she held up the papers.
"Also because you must admit I did already found a nice list of potential suspects, in addition to finding Leland- and since I look like a student I can bring some advantages you don't have otherwise"

Come on Persuasion is something you're good at.

[roll0]

Xihirli
2022-05-08, 10:22 AM
"Hm." She took a look at the ledger.
"Alright. I respect your family name... obviously," she said, and glanced down her face which had a nasty scar that she probably associated with what had happened at Waterdeep with Shahar's mothers.

"Alright. But we're going to keep any evidence here. You can come here whenever you need to look it over. Agreed?"

Valmark
2022-05-08, 11:39 AM
"That was my hope, as it'd be safer here" Shahar said "Glad to cohoperate. Can I ask for your name?" she held out a hand to shake on it.

"Also, if I'm not being too nosy... Should I ask if someone can heal your scar when I go back home? Or would that offend you?"

Xihirli
2022-05-08, 11:49 AM
"I'm happy with the scar right where it is," she said simply. She shook Shahar's hand. "Villette. Captain Villette. I'll get my guards down to Leland's house to check it out. What's your next move?"

Valmark
2022-05-08, 12:04 PM
"We think the attacker was a woman Leland knew- based on the footprints and the fact that he was having tea with somebody else. Coincidentally, the kettle disappeared so probably the murder weapon" Shahar explained "Knowing this, I was thinking to try and inquire about Jessamine Longbranch- we found her failed math tests and it seemed like she was paying Leland to get better votes. It's a start" she shrugged.

"I don't suppose there's a way to check who may have visited Leland last night? Body seemed about a day old. Also, today they sounded the alarm bell at school- do you know what that was for? Anything important?" Shahar asked, recalling that the watch should have been alerted by that.

Xihirli
2022-05-08, 02:11 PM
"I’m not at liberty to discuss the reasons for the alarm," Villette said. "You can find Longbranch at Wein House."
"I can take you there," Tanya said.
"I’ll have neighbors asked about who was there… but most people in that neighborhood would have been teaching classes. Thank you for your help, I look forward to hearing more from you."

Valmark
2022-05-08, 02:22 PM
"Mmm... Would that mean there'd be written records of who was at school or not?" Shahar asked "If we go by the assumption that someone he had on his payroll -or someone he hurt because they wouldn't pay him- is the killer then likely it was a student or a teacher. I know names are taken during the ringing of the bell, but is there an attendance record normally?"

Xihirli
2022-05-08, 04:57 PM
"Not usually," Villette said. "If students do not wish to attend the classes they pay for they are under no obligation to do so."

Valmark
2022-05-08, 05:40 PM
"I'd suggest making the head count at the start of each lesson from now on" Shahar noted "That said, she's as good a person to start with as any. Mmm... She and Leland's assistant, or whatever is Gaaki's job name"

What time is it in game?

Xihirli
2022-05-08, 09:25 PM
"Assistant librarian, you're not far off," Villette nodded.
"I wouldn't bother if you're looking for enemies of Leland, though. He got her her job, and was one of her son's only friends while he attended here."

It's after sunset. Sleepin time

Valmark
2022-05-09, 03:03 AM
"If he got her the job than chances are she knows something about his affairs- Leland has worked in order to send away those that didn't want to pay up, I'm not sure someone as devious as he looks would have kept her around out of friendship, though I don't know him much" Shahar said "Oh, uhm... What's the policy regarding what to tell 'civillians' as you call them? They're going to know something's up after the second day Leland isn't coming to work"

Xihirli
2022-05-09, 04:51 AM
Boots consumd a third instead for [roll0] more damage

"They will know there's been a death," Villette answered evenly.

Valmark
2022-05-09, 08:07 AM
"Alright, let's go then" Shahar said "We should go to Jessamine and then... Probably back home. Don't know about you but I've slept two hours in two days"

Xihirli
2022-05-09, 08:34 AM
"I didn't keep you up, did I?" Tanya asked as she led the way to Wein house.

Valmark
2022-05-09, 11:15 AM
"Nope. I missed sleeping with you" she locked arms and followed.

"Do you have any suspicion yet?"

Xihirli
2022-05-09, 01:05 PM
"Maybe if we can find someone to look at the forgery for us we could. If it’s a forgery, it might have been done by Leland… or an expert." She opened up Wein House.
"In fact, the men on the list could have hired an assassin. So the actual killer maybe being a woman doesn’t really rule them out."

Valmark
2022-05-09, 01:28 PM
"That's true... Mmm..." Shahar frowned "Maybe investigating random people from the list isn't the best idea. But we got little else to go on at this hour of the night"

Xihirli
2022-05-09, 01:36 PM
A male student who smelled like a gardener headed out of a dormitory room.
"That’s her door," Tanya said, pointing it out as it started to swing shut.

Valmark
2022-05-09, 06:08 PM
Shahar rushed over and put her hand in the middle, blocking the door and opening it up to look inside.
"Hello? Jessamine here?"

Xihirli
2022-05-09, 06:39 PM
A student was inside, reading a book on mathematics.
"Uh... yeah? Can I help you?"
There was a pouch of cannabis next to her. She wasn't smoking it at the time.

Valmark
2022-05-09, 06:47 PM
"Yup" Shahar entered "I need to ask a couple questions about Leland, and I'd like it if you were to reply to them" she said "I'm not here to put you in trouble, but I do want to ask about Leland's... Other means of income"

She glanced at the drugs but decided that wasn't the best time.

Xihirli
2022-05-09, 07:40 PM
"Oh, you want to blackmail me too? Well you can **** right the hells off with that. I should have gone public ages ago and now I will! I’m done letting you ****ers control me!"

Valmark
2022-05-09, 07:47 PM
Shahar raised an eyebrow. Well, she sure is fiery.

"I'm happy you're going to go public instead of hiding your votes, you should always be honest- it can be an hard path, I know, but it's the only way to be happy with yourself. But I'm not here to blackmail you" she explained calmly "Like I said, I only want to ask some questions. So he was blackmailing you?" she wanted to first clarify it was him extorting money and not her bribing him.

Xihirli
2022-05-09, 07:54 PM
"I busted my ass and earned that grade. I failed, but I asked if I could study and retake it. He said he’d make an exception, and seemed to think that was permission to start perving on me, that creep Wylie. I got so ashamed and he… told me no one would believe I wasn’t into it."
She shook her head.
"Leland found out and threatened to expose me. I should have said to him what I said to you… what the hells, it’s not too late. I know where he lives." She stood up and went for the door.

Valmark
2022-05-09, 08:06 PM
Shahar stopped Jessamine putting a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"No... You won't find Leland there. Not... Alive" she stated "But I'm proud of what you just said, even if it probably doesn't matter from a stranger. No one should be treated like you did" Shahar tried to reassure her "In fact, I'm investigating Leland's murder, starting from trying to understand more about his activities. The Watch is at his house inspecting it and interrogating the neighbors"

Xihirli
2022-05-09, 08:08 PM
Jessamine's knees gave out and she fell over.
"He's dead?" She asked as she recovered.
"Murdered!?"

Valmark
2022-05-09, 08:19 PM
Shahar slipped her arms under Jessamine's to steady her.
"Yes" she nodded "In his house, probably by somebody he knew while having tea. We found quite some people who might have reason to get rid of him" Shahar explained as tactfully as possible.

"Though, maybe it's naive but you don't look like you'd have done it. But I still need to know anything you'd know about his activities and who he worked with"

Xihirli
2022-05-09, 08:38 PM
"Worked with?" Jess sat on her bed. "He was a nosy ******* who butted into people's business to get money. But he wasn't like... in a conspiracy... I think."

Valmark
2022-05-10, 04:23 AM
"Alright" Shahar invited herself on Jessamine's bed, half worried she'd just fall sideways from the shock so she kept a hand on Jess' back "He was... Killed about a day ago, while classes were in session. Do you remember noticing anybody's absence? That wasn't normal for them? What about unknown people on campus?"

Can I roll Insight? Does it look like she's omitting something?

[roll0]

Xihirli
2022-05-10, 06:52 AM
Weed smell is distracting her senses of reading people.

"I don't know everyone on campus," Jessamine said. "But there've been a few sick students. There are always a few. As for newcomers... most people who don't live here permanently stay at the Screeching Roc Inn. You could check the newer people there."

Valmark
2022-05-10, 07:18 AM
"Alright- let's take the names you recall of the sick ones. Tanya, do you know how to get to the Roc?" she asked, then turned to Jessamine and held her hand "As for you, I haven't forgotten what you said about Wylie. I'll support you if you go to the Watch to report him- you aren't alone. But also should make that disappear before the Watch comes around" Shahar pointed at the drugs.

"Unless it's legal in Neverwinter I suppose"

Xihirli
2022-05-10, 07:22 AM
She got a list.
Nyad
Nerivyre
Jeffery

Valmark
2022-05-10, 08:13 AM
"Perfect. That should be all" Shahar stood up "See you around, Jessie. Tanya, let's go home" she said, walking out and yawning "We've been walking all over. You have to go to class tomorrow?"

Xihirli
2022-05-10, 08:23 AM
"I do," Tanya said. "Will you keep investigating?"

Back at Tanya's, Shahar had to be helped into bed from her exhaustion. Tanya held her close. "Thanks for you help... how did... how did this get so messy?"

Valmark
2022-05-10, 08:26 AM
"Yes, of course I will"

Back in bed, Shahar kissed Tanya's cheek and stroked her hair, hoping to soothe her friend.
"It must've been scary. But don't worry, we'll solve this mess" she reassured her with Shahar's usual convinction "Sometimes things just... Happen. But we can't be discouraged. Right?"

Xihirli
2022-05-11, 06:33 AM
Tanya held Shahar tight. "Right."

The next morning, Neil had made a plate of eggs for them. "Good morning," he said. He seemed to be moving about, trying to hold it together for the sake of his daughter.
Tanya glanced at Shahar with a question of do we tell him?

Valmark
2022-05-11, 08:01 AM
Shahar nodded while eating with gusto.

"Neil, there's been a development" she stated "And maybe you want to sit down"

Xihirli
2022-05-11, 09:37 AM
As if on cue, there was a knock on the door. A few members of the Starshine Watch came in when Neil opened it.
"Neil Baker?"
"Ah, yes."
"You may want to sit down."

Neil hesitantly did so.

Valmark
2022-05-11, 10:17 AM
"We were about to say the same" Shahar told the Watch, then turned to Neil.

"It's about Leland. He was assaulted by someone he trusted and... Killed"

Xihirli
2022-05-11, 10:28 AM
"He was what?"

"Mister Baker, we're going to ask that you stay in town for awhile."

"I... I'm a suspect?" Neil leaned forward, eyes wide in disbelief.

"Can you tell us what you were doing yesterday evening, around the time of evening classes?"

"I was here. I was..." Neil suddenly looked terrified. "Alone."

The Watch officers nodded and went for the door. "Please stay in town."
And then they were gone.

Valmark
2022-05-11, 10:50 AM
"Don't worry" Shahar said "You may be a suspect, but... Uh... There's a lot of people who had reason to kill Leland" she said "And of course, we're gonna make sure we find the real culprit. I just... Would like to ask you a few questions, if you feel up to it"

Xihirli
2022-05-11, 10:50 AM
"Ah... yes, I... of course, what do you want to know?"

Valmark
2022-05-11, 11:00 AM
"Did Leland ever approach you asking for money? Or tried to blackmail you?" Shahar asked "He was blackmailing people for money, and making sure those who didn't want to pay got kicked out"

Xihirli
2022-05-11, 11:14 AM
"Wha... no!" Neil said. "No, the last time we spoke before he found the document he just asked about my research. He was very curious, asking me all about my inspiration for the project and what documents I pulled from the most, my bibliography and..."
Tanya sighed. "Dad. He was trying to blackmail you. You didn't pick up on it."

Valmark
2022-05-11, 11:18 AM
Shahar shrugged "You and others have been driven away. He penned you as not interested in paying him, and that meant you had to leave. Do you know who had a good bond with Leland? Expect Gaaki I guess?"

Xihirli
2022-05-11, 11:25 AM
"He had a professional relationship with almost everyone, but I wouldn’t even call Gaaki his friend. Friendly, maybe," Neil answered.

Valmark
2022-05-11, 11:37 AM
"Got it... We should probably question Gaaki. You don't mind if we check your room?" Shahar asked then clarified "Not suspecting you. But I want to make sure nobody sneaked in and planted the weapon used in your room"

Xihirli
2022-05-11, 12:00 PM
"Ah… sure," Neil waved towards his room. "All yours."

Valmark
2022-05-11, 05:10 PM
"Also, which women did you see Leland talk with? Aside from Gaaki? We think the murderer was likely a woman"

Xihirli
2022-05-11, 05:46 PM
"Ah... Miriel, a few times, at the inn. She teaches elvish."

Valmark
2022-05-11, 07:00 PM
Shahar wrote it down.
"Thanks" she said, and stood going to inspect Neil's room.

Xihirli
2022-05-11, 08:07 PM
It was messy, unkempt, with paper all over it. It was a wonder he'd been able to hold onto his ticket to the guest lecture long enough for Shahar to use it.
But no murder weapon.

Valmark
2022-05-11, 08:34 PM
"Whew" Shahar came back "Alright, all clear. Tanya, we'll go to school- I'll talk to Kotra and Gaaki. Still need the decisive evidence that Neil couldn't have faked his papers- although it's fairly obvious by now to anybody. Then I'll go to the Screeching Roc inn, you'll probably still be in class" she said.

"Though I might need directions"

Xihirli
2022-05-11, 08:54 PM
"Talk to Kotra second, she can give you directions," Tanya suggested. She hugged Shahar. "You're the sweetest, you know that?"

Valmark
2022-05-11, 09:04 PM
"No, I'm not" Shahar smiled and gave Tanya a light peck on a cheek "But I am sweet enough for you. Amd alright, first Gaaki, then Kotra, then the Inn"