PDA

View Full Version : The Races left behind in design

Naanomi
2022-01-14, 03:45 PM
The new model of race design has seen some consistency in the last few books, VRGR and WBtW both following what we are expecting from the upcoming Monsters of the Multiverse... PHB races are not getting touched yet (probably in the PHB update suspected in 2024?); But that still leaves some stragglers...

A bunch of Setting Specific options:

AI ~Verdan
EGW ~Dragonborn (Draconblood)
EGW ~Dragonborn (Ravenite)
EGW ~Elf (Pallid)
EGW ~Halfling (Lotusden)
ERLW ~*All the Dragonmarked options*
ERLW ~Kalashtar
ERLW ~Warforged
GGR ~Loxodon
GGR ~Simic Hybrid
GGR ~Vedalken
MOT ~Leonin
SCAG ~Halfling (Ghostwise)

A few races with... Questionable (but not nonexistent) official support:

OGA ~Grung
AWM ~Goblin(Dankwood)
LR ~Locathah

Plus some variation options:

SCAG, MToF~*All the Tiefling variations*
SCAG ~*All the Half-Elf variations*

Any guesses if these will get Errata or updates? Or will they be left orphaned?

Evaar
2022-01-14, 03:55 PM
I expect they will be orphaned, but there will be some Sage Advice saying the (presumably forthcoming) update to Tieflings or Half Elves is intended to apply to all variations. We had something similar with the crossover of variants between the MTOF Tieflings and the SCAG Tiefling options, where Crawford confirmed you can take any of the MTOF Tiefling variants and apply the +2 Dex +1 Int Feral stat variant to them.

Psyren
2022-01-14, 04:02 PM
Note that the Tasha rules for floating ASI and floating proficiency cover several of these, so they wouldn't need a big redesign anyway. Based on that, the highly-MTG-specific ones like Simic Hybrid and Vedalken I wouldn't expect to see updated.

Warforged and Kalashtar are a different matter. I can understand their reluctance at making those officially available outside of Eberron (they are very difficult to explain outside the context of that world's history), but they have a higher chance of becoming agnostic than most.

The ones I see with the highest chance of getting an update are Loxodon and Leonin, as you can fit such races anywhere. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html)

Evaar
2022-01-14, 04:30 PM
Warforged and Kalashtar are a different matter. I can understand their reluctance at making those officially available outside of Eberron (they are very difficult to explain outside the context of that world's history), but they have a higher chance of becoming agnostic than most.

I can't begin to count how many times I've seen Warforged played outside Eberron. Everyone seems perfectly happy to say they're just there.

They've sort of gestured at making it work in Faerun. Dragon Heist has the Nimblewrights, sort of skinny, child-like intelligence level robot things. If they're going to have those, it doesn't take much more to say "And also I'm a special one of those."

For Kalashtar, I'd agree those are less likely to be brought outside of Eberron. I'd attribute that to them not really fulfilling any particular fantasy archetype outside of the context of Eberron's setting. I guess you could use them as a replacement for an Elan, or any sort of generically psionically-sensitive humanoid, but even that is rarely something people really care to build into a race and most of the subclasses designed with psionic flavor already give you everything you'd want to fulfill that.

Psyren
2022-01-14, 04:33 PM
I can't begin to count how many times I've seen Warforged played outside Eberron. Everyone seems perfectly happy to say they're just there.

They've sort of gestured at making it work in Faerun. Dragon Heist has the Nimblewrights, sort of skinny, child-like intelligence level robot things. If they're going to have those, it doesn't take much more to say "And also I'm a special one of those."

Preaching to the choir, I'd have loved to see Warforged in a setting agnostic book like MotM :smallsmile:

Witty Username
2022-01-15, 01:41 AM
Warforged are really easy to explain in any setting with golems and eccentric mages. Your character ends up as some abandoned art project and all is well.

Kane0
2022-01-15, 02:06 AM
My current planescape party is led by a warforged signer, preaches to everyone he comes across that he was created to inherit the multiverse.