PDA

View Full Version : Help a rogue pretending to be a spellcaster.

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-21, 12:04 PM
Core only can you give some tips on a rogue pretending to be a wizard.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-21, 12:09 PM
Lots od Disguise and UMD checks. It ain't that hard to think up things, bro.

Draz74
2007-11-21, 12:10 PM
Obviously lots of wands, Sleight of Hand (to hide the wands and perform mundane "magic" tricks), and Use Magic Device.

Being a Gnome sure doesn't hurt (spell-like abilities).

Buy up other magic items that duplicate common wizard spells: Necklace of Fireballs, Ring of Invisibility ...

Mr.Bookworm
2007-11-21, 12:20 PM
Become a first-level sorcerer, to gain access to a handful of spells.

That's if you're serious about the whole thing, of course.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-11-21, 12:34 PM
I was going to suggest a level of Beguiler, although it does not get UMD.

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-21, 12:37 PM
I don't want my rogue to become a spellcaster. My goal is for him to be a con artist. With the wizard persona as one of his tricks.

Frosty
2007-11-21, 12:45 PM
Beguilers don't get UMD?

Mr.Bookworm
2007-11-21, 12:48 PM
I don't want my rogue to become a spellcaster. My goal is for him to be a con artist. With the wizard persona as one of his tricks.

But the most effective cons usually involve someone who really is what they say they are.

But if that's not what you want, okay.

Max out UMD and Sleight of Hand, try using real magician tricks when all else fails, and use lots of scrolls and wands.

Oh, and wear a big pointy hat, and long flowing robes with stars on them. You'll probably want a fake beard, too.

EDIT: Oh, that's right. Like leadfeather said, get an item that lets you use Prestidigitation at will. Then use it in millions of ways. It could also just augment regular magic tricks (AKA Sleight of Hand).

Leadfeathermcc
2007-11-21, 12:49 PM
Then max UMD combined with max Sleight of Hand skill checks to hide what exactly you are doing. Max Bluff, and invest in some knowledge skills, it is easier to lie when you have some idea what you are lying about.

Item wise, a Ring of Prestidigitation would not hurt.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-11-21, 12:51 PM
Beguilers don't get UMD?
Doh! For some reason I thought they did not, now I see I was thinking about the Duskblade skills list.

Yes Beguilers do get UMD, which makes them an even better choice for a con man type.

Telonius
2007-11-21, 01:02 PM

I've actually played something very close to this.
Rogue 1
Wizard 1
Rogue 2-9
Master of Masks x

Master of Masks is a prestige class from Complete Scoundrel. One level of Wizard gives you access to the whole spell list as well as Read Magic, so your UMD for casting from scrolls will be a lot easier. Glibness and Magic Aura are spells you should look into. Pump your charisma, max your ranks in Bluff and Diplomacy. A couple ranks in Perform (Oratory) might not be a bad idea.

Magic items that might be useful: Cape of the Mountebank, Ring of Blink, Hat of Disguise.

TheLogman
2007-11-21, 01:06 PM
Buy up a TON of scrolls when you tell the party you are "Going to the Library" Stitch them into your "Spellbook", and just make the claim that you are casting the spell from your book. As long as none of the other characters are Arcane casters or have Knowledge Arcana, there is no reason for them to know you only need your spellbook in the morning. If another player brings up the point that normally wizards don't need their book to cast, just say that you prefer the fluff. Technically this is true, since you are enjoying the fluff of being a rogue pretending to be a wizard.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-21, 01:20 PM
Pick up cross-class ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft. You're a Rogue, you have plenty of skill points. And if you're boosting your Intelligence to seem more wizardly, you should have even more than usual.

Yeah, boost your Int. Maybe get a Headband of Intellect.

Randel
2007-11-21, 02:06 PM
If you have access to eberron items, there are Eternal wands and Minor schemas that are reusable magic items.

eternal wands cast spells from 0 to 3, and can be used twice a day.

minor schemas go from 1 to 6 and they act like scrolls you can use once a day. (though its UMD check is 20+the level of the spell and if you fail that it goes dormant for 1d6 days, but no spell mishap occurs.) if you can reliably make the checks then it can be useful for spells you cast often.

neither of them can contain spells with expensive material components though, and schemas are made of durable things like wood or stone tablets so it might conflict with the 'reading my spells from a spellbook look'.

If you need a familiar, you can just buy a pet, or you can see about getting a figurine of wonderous power.

Also, if you are a con artist, hire some people to vouch for your powers. Maybe secretly summon a monster with a scroll, let it frighten the villagers and then 'banish' it with your magical powers.

Alex12
2007-11-21, 02:14 PM
Ring of Animal Friendship, or something else that lets you Charm or Dominate an animal. Bam, instant familiar!

Shisumo
2007-11-21, 03:21 PM
If you're human, can't go wrong with the chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b).

mabriss lethe
2007-11-21, 03:37 PM
rings and weapons of spell storing, while taking the time/money to have freelance wizards funnel spells into them on a regular basis. combine that with a maxed UMD and lots of disposable magic items.

I know it's not core, but the charms presented in the Midnight campaign setting can be pretty fun to make and use, especially once you get to the point where you can make charms that mimic 0 level spells. (requires skill in both knowledge arcana and knowledge nature if I remember correctly)

assassin8
2007-11-21, 04:09 PM
in the magic item compendium there are gloves of storing that only work with staves and wands but let you use them while they are stored, then take the feat magic item attunement you now make 1use magic device check on which you can take 20 and not make another check with that item for 24 hours