PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Shadow monk/fighter multiclass - advice needed

Magicspook
2022-01-16, 09:58 AM
Hey guys!

I am leveling my shadow monk character from level 3 to level 6 right now, and I figured you could help me with making some strategic choices.

Some background info: the stats are 11/15/14/13/14/11 STR/DEX/CON/INT/WIS/CHA with the healer feat (which was suboptimal, but I wanted it for roleplaying purposes). She has a magic item allowing her to cast sanctuary 1/day as a bonus action.

My options as I see them are:

pick up elven accuracy at 4th (boost DEX to 16), go to monk 5 and pick up fighter 1 for the blind fighting style so I can punch everybody to death with triple d20's (both my character and the devil's sight warlock have darkness). Plan to get action surge at level 7 so I can cast darkness AND punch people to death in the same turn.
pick up elven accuracy at 4th level and go straight to monk 6. This gives my that nifty teleport ability, which also should let me use elven accuracy. Maybe pick up blind fighting later.
something else entirely as suggested by the forum munchkins.

So what do you think? Is blind fighting + elven accuracy worth investing in? should I go for action surge ASAP or should I just focus on monk? Or are there options I haven't considered?

Sorinth
2022-01-16, 10:49 AM
Darkness + Blind-Fighting is definitely strong, and since you have another PC wanting to cast Darkness I would say getting Blind-Fighting would be a priority but the 2nd level of fighter can wait, I'd probably only consider Fighter 2 after Monk 8.

I guess talk to the warlock and see what's what, if they are planning to use Darkness almost every fight I'd grab that fighter level on your next level up, if it's only an occasional strategy then focus on the Monk levels to at least get Extra Attack before the fighter level.

Magicspook
2022-01-16, 11:27 AM
Darkness + Blind-Fighting is definitely strong, and since you have another PC wanting to cast Darkness I would say getting Blind-Fighting would be a priority but the 2nd level of fighter can wait, I'd probably only consider Fighter 2 after Monk 8.

I guess talk to the warlock and see what's what, if they are planning to use Darkness almost every fight I'd grab that fighter level on your next level up, if it's only an occasional strategy then focus on the Monk levels to at least get Extra Attack before the fighter level.

I think I caused a little confusion here- I am already level 6! The DM is bumping us from 3 to 6, since we haven't played for a long time and they want to give us a bit more challenge. So Extra attack is in the pocket already. So I am building level 6 right now (monk6 or monk5/fighter 1), and planning ahead for level 7 (monk 5/fighter 2, monk 6/fighter 1 or monk 7)

Sorinth
2022-01-16, 11:42 AM
I think I caused a little confusion here- I am already level 6! The DM is bumping us from 3 to 6, since we haven't played for a long time and they want to give us a bit more challenge. So Extra attack is in the pocket already. So I am building level 6 right now (monk6 or monk5/fighter 1), and planning ahead for level 7 (monk 5/fighter 2, monk 6/fighter 1 or monk 7)

Ah. In that case I would go monk 5 / fighter 1 to start and continue leveling monk till at least 8.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-01-16, 11:49 AM
How good action surge is really depends on the table. If you have numerous encounters between rests it's not as valuable as if you get 1-2 encounters between rests. I think that impacts your leveling decision as much as anything.

Evaar
2022-01-17, 12:52 AM
I presume you’ve gone over this post?

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24890247&postcount=831

Magicspook
2022-01-17, 02:10 AM
How good action surge is really depends on the table. If you have numerous encounters between rests it's not as valuable as if you get 1-2 encounters between rests. I think that impacts your leveling decision as much as anything.
Knowing my DM, the adventure will consists of sporadic puzzle-like nova encounters with plenty of rest in between. We do use a gritty realism variant to offset the lack of encounters per day, so I expect frequent short rests with one, maybe two encounters between each rest.

I presume you’ve gone over this post?

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24890247&postcount=831

I had not. Thank you very much for this! It seems to me like M5F1 --> M5F2 --> M6F2 is the eay to go, based off this post!

Segev
2022-01-18, 09:41 AM
Personally, I have had a great deal of fun with the at-will darkness-based teleport, and think that unless you've had a lot of trouble with fighting blind, you want to go Monk 6 before you go Fighter 1 or 2. That 60 foot teleport as a bonus action is better than Step of the Wind for distance, as long as you regularly have dim light or darkness to work with. (Remember that you cannot see into magical darkness, so that prevents you from teleporting into it. Or even through it. Discuss with your DM whether the Blindsight fighting style will let you see through ten feet of magical darkness to teleport to nonmagical darkness beyond or not; I would wager "not" for this purpose.)