PDA

View Full Version : Food Has Anyone Duplicated A Freebirds Quesadilla?

Palanan
2022-01-16, 02:31 PM
I used to live in a place with Freebirds access, and their quesadillas were glorious.

Now I live somewhere that’s never heard of Freebirds, with “quesadillas” that are little finger-wedges of cheese hiding a scrap or two of some sad chickenlike substance.

So I’ve tried making my own, and while I can manage something edible, I am not strong in the Quesadilla Force. Has anyone managed to duplicate the Freebirds version?

LaZodiac
2022-01-18, 12:59 PM
Honestly looking at the quesadilla in question... it looks more like a flatter, extremely fully loaded mexican chicken wrap. Which yes I know is technically what a quesadilla is, but I mean it looks like they prepare it "as if it were a chicken wrap" and not "as if it were a quasdilla".

So as for trying to make it your self... try thinking about it along the lines of a wrap instead of a quasdilla. Actual coooking advice would be to try mixing and matching spices to get the right flavour in your meat, seasoning before cooking so it gets into it, experimenting with the portions of sauce, peppers, cheese, and so on.

And if you wanna buy it... go to a greek shop and ask for the chicken shawarma and you'll probably get something akin to what you're looking for. Alternatively (I don't know where you live) you can check out other restaurants like Bostons/Boston Pizza, which serve quite large quesadilla, that may be to your preference as well.

Thrawn4
2022-02-11, 03:32 PM
Hey there, I am currently dabbling in the same area...
What recipe do you use for the dough?
Mine is

375 gram of wheat flour
1 tea spoon of salt
1 tea spoon of baking powder
60 ml of vegetable oil
160 ml of water

Let it rise for 15 minutes and split into eight parts. Make it really thin.

Also, adding cilantro to the filling helped a lot.

Razade
2022-02-11, 04:23 PM
Freebird uses a leavened dough? That's...weird. To make good flour tortillas you need lard. Vegetable shortening/oil isn't going to do it. Add the lard to the hot water and mix that into the flour and salt. Baking powder really isn't going to do much other than turn your tortilla into a sad pita.

Two cups flour, preferably bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
2/3d cup water (hot)
5 tablespoons lard, softened and mixed with water.

Give it resting time, 30 minutes to an hour but 10 minutes minimum.

Their fillings seem to include black beans and corn. Precook that so they get cooked all the way through when you add them to meat/veggies. Nothing I've seen on copycat recipes indicate they use anything outlandish for their spice blend. Chipotle pepper, garlic, cumin, onion powder, cilantro. Pretty standard fare.