PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #260 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2005-12-28, 11:57 AM
New comic is up. Hope everyone had a good couple of days, whether or not a holiday was celebrated.

Eutheos
2005-12-28, 12:03 PM
I have noticed a lot of self-referencing in the comics as of the inn. I like that very much! :D Giant, have you read any postmodern literary theories of narration by any chance? :D

King_Troll
2005-12-28, 12:03 PM
HAH

...healer not a footstool...

just misssing the Dammit, Jim (Elan?)!

Oznstuff
2005-12-28, 12:10 PM
So did anyone else notice the pronounced lack of Belkar? Is he perhaps off in a special cell reserved for the chronically evil? dum de dum dum...

WampaX
2005-12-28, 12:11 PM
Great.
Now Blue by the Seatbelts is stuck in my head.
:'(

Jevanyn
2005-12-28, 12:22 PM
Good to have you back, Giant. Hope you had a great holiday vacation.

It's not fair that Roy makes fun of Elan when he does something well. It could be really important that Azure City gets twenty-odd inches of rain a year. Or does Roy just dislike box text?

Nifty art - check
Plot recap - check
Elan being Elan - check ;)
Roy frustrated with same - check ;)
Star Trek reference - check :D
Firesign Theater reference - "Hey, look at that blue horse!" - check :P

Drraagh
2005-12-28, 12:23 PM
Silk, spices and video games...

Can you imagine what sort of video games the characters would play? Like Haley would probably enjoy games like Tomb Raider, but I could just see Belkar playing one of the FPS games or maybe Mortal Kombat fighting games.

Lizard_SF
2005-12-28, 12:24 PM
So did anyone else notice the pronounced lack of Belkar? Is he perhaps off in a special cell reserved for the chronically evil? dum de dum dum...

Yes, I did *indeed* notice his abscence. A minor oversight, or deliberate plot point? Time will tell....

Sundog
2005-12-28, 12:25 PM
I just love Haley, still aphasic, trying to pick the lock with what looks like straw...

Eriol
2005-12-28, 12:26 PM
Bardic Knowledge. hehe

Glad we're back to the Order. LG was funny, and necessary, but in the end we're here for our favorite group!

Too bad Haley hasn't recovered her speech yet. I'll admit I'm disappointed about that.

Samiam303
2005-12-28, 12:27 PM

Think about it... If Haley got a Cage within a Cell, just imagine what Belkar's earned... ;D

EDIT: Okay, so I was wrong. But still... ::) :P ;)

Eva_of_Sirrion
2005-12-28, 12:27 PM
Haley's still not cured of her aphasia as yet. Wonder if Durkon or V have ranks in deciipher cryptogram?

Aja
2005-12-28, 12:34 PM
Whee, great page. It's good to have OOTS back after the holidays.

"Come on, baby, open for mommy..."

If only Persuade skills worked on locks. ;D

Krytha
2005-12-28, 12:36 PM
HOORAY! OotS! I admit that I was a little disappointed in this comic... mostly because I was doing so well in rehab for what felt like an eternity of no stick.

I dont see Belkar... I suppose they have him locked up in a different place if not already squished and interrogated... or *gasp* dead?

Wrecan
2005-12-28, 03:59 PM
THink about it... If Haley got a Cage within a Cell, just imagine what Belkar's earned... ;D

Haley's not in a cage within a cell. She's trying to pick the door of the cage.

Alfryd
2005-12-28, 05:31 PM
"The likelihood is strong that before much longer, we're all going to be executed, permanently."
Aw... I see somebody took a few levels in the 'Mean ol' cranky-pants' prestige class.

Hang on. If V is no longer bound & gagged, why isn't s/he working on some form of escape plan. Invisibility sphere must have some utility in this situation.

Belkar?
Belkar!
BELKAR!
NOOO!

Tetralemma
2005-12-28, 10:28 PM
Ooh yeah, that's the stuff! I been needin' my fix man. Been gettin' the shakes somethin' fierce for the whole last week. I just needed a little taste of OotS to get by. Really. I can stop any time I want.

Ah, Elan. So innocent, so trusting. Don't ever change.

Flak_Razorwill
2005-12-28, 10:29 PM
Wow, we left the guild fast.

(Thanks, I needed that.)

EDIT: Elan's a tour guide...

luilupino
2005-12-28, 10:31 PM
Oww I really wanted to meet the LG new party members... :'(

DOOM2099
2005-12-28, 10:32 PM
Belkar is doing something evil somewhere.

Tawkis
2005-12-28, 10:32 PM
A new spell for my campaign !!

Protection from negativity ^^

bluish_wolf
2005-12-28, 10:41 PM
Belkar is probally to the far right or far left of the cell.

Winged One
2005-12-28, 10:47 PM
Really? I figured he was in solitary for trying to do something evil.

evileeyore
2005-12-28, 10:54 PM
Hang on. If V is no longer bound & gagged, why isn't s/he working on some form of escape plan. Invisibility sphere must have some utility in this situation.No spellbook and was likely stripped of spells before being thrown into prison.

Or no spellbook and has promised not to use magic in order to escape.

NullAshton
2005-12-28, 11:18 PM
V still has all of her spells remaining that wasn't used in the inn battle or battle with Miko. She should still have a few fireballs and lightning bolts or something. Of course, knowing DMs, the DM probally has an antimagic field cast permanently on the cells...

archon_huskie
2005-12-28, 11:19 PM
No spellbook and was likely stripped of spells before being thrown into prison.

Wise magic-users tatoo a few spells onto their bodies and their party-mates for just such an occassion.

Eriol
2005-12-28, 11:21 PM
No spellbook and was likely stripped of spells before being thrown into prison.

Still, V does know of a spell that is quite effective at breaking people out of prison...

Tawkis
2005-12-28, 11:27 PM
Wise magic-users tatoo a few spells onto their bodies and their party-mates for just such an occassion.
That only works if the DM allows such foolishness, tattoo's aren't a "core" method of studying by any means.

TarSheva
2005-12-28, 11:40 PM
THink about it... If Haley got a Cage within a Cell, just imagine what Belkar's earned... ;D

Nah, that looks more like a wall between the boys' cell and Hailey & V's cell. Apparently the people of Azure City think V's a girl too. Ahh, the androgeny continues.

I love OotS. Thank you, Giant.

ref
2005-12-28, 11:40 PM
Though I wasn't expecting the OotS reaching destination for another 20 strips or so (and I know that was a nitpick), this was very good after a week of no updates. Azure City is... well, azure! :)

we'll see what happens next :)

Eloco
2005-12-28, 11:41 PM
I just hope someone kicks Durkon's arse before this is all said and done, forgive but never forget!

Mas_Sinoda
2005-12-28, 11:56 PM
Wow. I figured it would take at least another week before they got there... Next one's gonna be great! I can't wait to see Belkar's reaction to being in jail...

Kadi
2005-12-29, 12:34 AM

Hoody Hoo!

grim_chook
2005-12-29, 12:43 AM
I'm loving that city view! ;D

Mas_Sinoda
2005-12-29, 12:46 AM

I'm imagining how V convinced Belkar convinced to have a tattoo...

I could see it perfectly, especially after the 'Ogre Kings'

Krytha
2005-12-29, 12:49 AM
I guess OotS staff forgave Durkon cuz he isn't beaten to a pulp. They are above such things! Or are they...? Serving as Elan's footstool is probably one of the most ignominous fates I can imagine! OOhhh the horror, the HORROR!!

Fale
2005-12-29, 02:02 AM
I'm loving that city view! ;D

I agree. Looks really good. It's makes a nice change from the dungeon, plains and inn.

Duskrider_Moogle
2005-12-29, 02:46 AM
1. I see a few Pagoda-esque structures in the city. Awesome.

2. Video games? That makes me chuckle, because I suspect the graphics on games in the OotS world would start out as 3-dimensional with full physics engines and superb lighting and shade techniques, then get more and more "realistic" as technology advanced. :p Also what does a world full of ghosts and magic do for escapism?

3. (Possible Predictaspoiler)I can't help but imagine Shojo being really laid-back and easy-going and getting along really well with Elan, just to confuse us all.(/Possible Predictaspoiler)

Platinum_Mongoose
2005-12-29, 03:11 AM
So nice of the Azure Guards to let the Order keep their armor. And evil crown.
I really liked the bardic knowledge bit. Hilarity.

thespyder
2005-12-29, 03:34 AM
what's really funny is that the only people still able to use class abilities are durkon and elan. durkon gets his spells from thor so he doesn't need a book, and we know that elan has performance singing (and lute, and kazoo) so he can still cast his spells. so really if elan was aware enough to realize this he could simply charm a guard and get out. but, sigh, i really doubt that's the case, elan is faaaar too stupid for that. the only way he'd be sure to charm his way out is if the guard was female and evil.

xaos_master
2005-12-29, 03:58 AM
Not sure if this is allowed or if it is considered a spoiler, but

Haley says:

"Come on, baby, open for mommy…"

(I'm really good at cryptograms)

Marller
2005-12-29, 05:13 AM
Ah, a new comic before the year ends. :)

A small cell with no place to go, Elan must have vexed Roy quite a bit. ;D

Evik
2005-12-29, 05:18 AM
Hurray for successful skill checks when they are LEAST needed!!!
I know thats how mine always work out....
and YAY for my OOTS back...just in time to avoid withdrawl symptoms.

Ilaun_Undil
2005-12-29, 05:26 AM
Just wondering why durkon is stuck with the others. Truley he went peacefully. and didn't even fight. Also commenting on the Elan Shojo comment, are you trying to say that he is a Bard? that would be a twist. Would a Paladin bard work?

Eldhrin
2005-12-29, 05:42 AM
Wouldn't a paladin bard tear the fabric of the universe?

Great strip, The Giant! Although I wasn't expecting Azure City to be quite so azure. I thought that referred to the colour of the sea or something.

Durkon's in with the others because he's charged with the same crime as they are. Going peacefully doesn't excuse you from imprisonment while awaiting trial.

Gez
2005-12-29, 06:22 AM
I yftdme yhmt yill Hwlma rm ucemd fb hme ymied skmmuh ixkmdixmtn. ;)

Cayzle
2005-12-29, 06:28 AM
Flash forward image from next strip

Elan sits on cot playing jailhouse mouth organ:

Hmm hmm hmm hm

I got those

Hmm hmm hmm hm

Azure City Blues!

Sebastian
2005-12-29, 06:48 AM
Someone here read Knights of the dinner Table. :)

Sebastian
2005-12-29, 07:00 AM
Flash forward image from next strip

Elan sits on cot playing jailhouse mouth organ:

Hmm hmm hmm hm

I got those

Hmm hmm hmm hm

Azure City Blues!

nobody knows

the trouble I've seen.

Nobody knows,

but Banjio

Sebastian
2005-12-29, 07:07 AM
That only works if the DM allows such foolishness, tattoo's aren't a "core" method of studying by any means.
Yes, but the rules don't say that a spellbook can't be wrote on human skin, or even living human skin, so technically you can tatto the text of your spellbook on someone and study from it.

Of course, there is no way that the jalier wouldn't notice the strange tattoos and don't call a wizard or someone other sage-type to check what are they, and once they found it, it is hot irons branding time to erasing them.

Quixote
2005-12-29, 07:25 AM
I just love Haley, still aphasic, trying to pick the lock with what looks like straw...

I'm quite sure it's a strand of her own hair...

I don't think it's odd that Belkar isn't seen. If you look at strip #256 in particular, there's a precedent for characters disappearing, reappearing and shifting order at random.

Also: gaah! that we never found out who the new Durkon and Belkar bizarro twins are for the Linear Guild.

Darius Midnite
2005-12-29, 07:27 AM
Thank you Rich for giving us such a great new strip!
It's awsome!

It's just a littel sad that Jim and Kodrog The Slayer wont be answering anymore fan letters...*Sniff* :'(

Moving on..

When will we see some more Xykon!? They're a part of this story... ;D

Chaos
2005-12-29, 08:19 AM

Can you imagine what sort of video games the characters would play? Like Haley would probably enjoy games like Tomb Raider, but I could just see Belkar playing one of the FPS games or maybe Mortal Kombat fighting games.

Haley - Tomb Raider, all right; Haley was born (well, drawn) for that kind of stuff
Belkar - FPS or Mortal Kombat type, exactly
Elan - maybe The Sims or something like that, or an MMORPG
Roy - One of those old-fashioned computer RPGs; I´m thinking Ultima IV through IX
V - no video games; I can see him hanging out in a wizards´ forum, though, talking shop with his intellectual equals
Durkon - Boulder Dash, or whatever it was called; maybe Forbidden Forest if he´s in a mood for some horror

Magus
2005-12-29, 08:25 AM
I hope you enjoyed the vacation, Giant!

It was good to see the OotS again!

... well, 5/6 ain't bad. ;)

I can only wonder as to where Belkar is. I have a few ideas- or rather, I know what I would do with him, but you're even more evil than I am, so I can't wait to find out ;D

Plus, after it all, Elan remains himself and Roy is still annoyed. All is right with the universe.

Of course, there are questions- besides the obvious. What exactly is Lord Shojo like? How will the OotS get out of this one? How is Julia faring with the Linear Guild? How is the Linear Guild faring with Julia? Who are the LG's new members? What is Xykon doing besides having multiple evilgasms? Most important of all: will there be more rocket skates? As with Belkar's location, I can't wait to find out.

To sum it up: take a bow!

rosebud
2005-12-29, 08:33 AM
It's just a littel sad that Jim and Kodrog The Slayer wont be answering anymore fan letters...
Zombie hobgoblins work even cheaper.

Darius Midnite
2005-12-29, 09:02 AM
Yes indeed...
But no one understands what they say other than "brains brains! Come to me delicious brains!"
Sooo..

Reaver225
2005-12-29, 09:27 AM
It's... so... blue... *dies*

munehiro
2005-12-29, 09:29 AM
Yes, but the rules don't say that a spellbook can't be wrote on human skin, or even living human skin, so technically you can tatto the text of your spellbook on someone and study from it.

There is a prestige class that allows writing enchantments scrolls as scars on the skin. It's called blood magus. However, this is not the V case.

Of course, there is no way that the jalier wouldn't notice the strange tattoos and don't call a wizard or someone other sage-type to check what are they, and once they found it, it is hot irons branding time to erasing them.

But the jailer normally is not supposed to have skill points in spellcraft (being normally a warrior), and even in this case, you can tattoo on well hidden places...ahem. ;D

Marller
2005-12-29, 09:34 AM
The Sims definitely. But MMORPGs? Does Elan possess the patience for hours of mindless grind?
I think he would play more something without a lvl-system.

Sanctu
2005-12-29, 09:43 AM

Oh my... I can picture the conversation in THAT strip now.

Belkar: "You know, if you were a more dedicated magician, you'd have your spell books tattoo'd on you."
Vaarsuvious: "Actually, the spell we need for this extracation is on a tattoo."
Belkar: "Yeah, well get memorizing!"
[Belkar looks eagerly at Vaarsuvious, while Vaarsuvious looks at Belkar.]
[Everyone one else turns away.]
Belkar: "Well?"
Vaarsuvious: "The spell I need is actually inscibed on the dermis just under your left shoulder blade. If you could turn around..."
Belkar: "WHAT?!? How long has that been there?"
Elan: "That one? It's been so long..."
Belkar: "THAT ONE? Theres MORE?!?"
[Elan abscently lists a few.]
Belkar [waves to stop the list]: "No, don't tell me. Just mem them fast. This is so embarrissing. After we kill all the guards, I'm going to the pub for a while."
Vaarsuvious: "Excellant! At last I can have that spare copy of of Disintigrate."
Elan [brandishing little card]: "And our card is filled up now, so this next one will be free!"
Haley: "Those have saved us a lot of coin."
Belkar: "I'm going to kill you all."

Sanctu
2005-12-29, 09:57 AM

The characters still have their clothing and armor on. How would anyone notice tattoos? And on Vaarsuvious, who keeps so covered up that no one we know of is sure of gender?

Also, this is a lawful good city, or at least we can infer that the person in chrage of the guards is. While Roy did point out that our paladin falls seriously short of theessence of the alignment, that would be rather foul to do, before the trail, even if the outcome is predetermined. Not to mention the wizards' guild would probably take serious offense to mutilating every wizard they bring in with a tattoo's spell book.

I would think a better solution would be to shackle such a wizard so they can't unrobe.

Darius Midnite
2005-12-29, 10:05 AM
Oh my... I can picture the conversation in THAT strip now.

Belkar: "You know, if you were a more dedicated magician, you'd have your spell books tattoo'd on you."
Vaarsuvious: "Actually, the spell we need for this extracation is on a tattoo."
Belkar: "Yeah, well get memorizing!"
[Belkar looks eagerly at Vaarsuvious, while Vaarsuvious looks at Belkar.]
[Everyone one else turns away.]
Belkar: "Well?"
Vaarsuvious: "The spell I need is actually inscibed on the dermis just under your left shoulder blade. If you could turn around..."
Belkar: "WHAT?!? How long has that been there?"
Elan: "That one? It's been so long..."
Belkar: "THAT ONE? Theres MORE?!?"
[Elan abscently lists a few.]
Belkar [waves to stop the list]: "No, don't tell me. Just mem them fast. This is so embarrissing. After we kill all the guards, I'm going to the pub for a while."
Vaarsuvious: "Excellant! At last I can have that spare copy of of Disintigrate."
Elan [brandishing little card]: "And our card is filled up now, so this next one will be free!"
Haley: "Those have saved us a lot of coin."
Belkar: "I'm going to kill you all."

Bwahaha! That is so funny!
I can almost see the pictures in my head..
If Rich dies..you could take over...hehe

xaos_master
2005-12-29, 10:09 AM
I yftdme yhmt yill Hwlma rm ucemd fb hme ymied skmmuh ixkmdixmtn. ;)

Answer:

I wonder when will Haley be cured of her weird speech impediment.

Sanctu
2005-12-29, 10:31 AM
Quoth someone, " I wonder when will Haley be cured of her weird speech impediment."

I wonder if we'll ever be told whatshe said in strip 250... but would prefer it left to imagination.

:)

Chaos
2005-12-29, 10:42 AM
The Sims definitely. But MMORPGs? Does Elan possess the patience for hours of mindless grind?
I think he would play more something without a lvl-system.

Some game with a simple good-vs-evil background and at least one server dedicated to roleplaying (as opposed to hack-and-slash)

Nale - some strategy game, if it has the potential to betray other players; I suggest "Master of Magic"
Sabine - "7 Sins", what else?
Thog - "Creatures"; they´re not quite puppies, but close enough

Sundog
2005-12-29, 11:10 AM
Nale would play Populous. Just imagine, Nale the god...

Alien_Dude
2005-12-29, 11:33 AM
I wonder if we'll ever be told what she said in strip 250...

I believe it to be:

but would prefer it left to imagination....

D'oh!

;D

Oznstuff
2005-12-29, 11:42 AM
It's just a littel sad that Jim and Kodrog The Slayer wont be answering anymore fan letters...*Sniff* :'(

(POSSIBLE SPOILER, MAY NEED TO BE DELETED)
OMG! It just occured to me that we may see these guys again! "You're dead Jim" is too classic a Giant line NOT to be seen sometime in the future!

Doug_Lampert
2005-12-29, 11:54 AM
V still has all of her spells remaining that wasn't used in the inn battle or battle with Miko. She should still have a few fireballs and lightning bolts or something. Of course, knowing DMs, the DM probally has an antimagic field cast permanently on the cells...
Fireballs, ah yes, those work fine if someone left you plenty of sulfer and guano. And V needs a small amber, chrystal, or glass rod for the Lightning Bolt.

V and D's component pouches aren't normally shown, and they aren't shown in this comic that I can see. So we don't know if they still have them, D's holy symbol could be there, but it also isn't shown.

Oznstuff
2005-12-29, 12:11 PM
Okay everybody, nitpick from my wife, who has read roughly 4 OotS comics! The copyright for #260 is dated 2006, but we are still in 2005. Stop the presses! The Giant has Time Travel! So why the heck is he writing this and not winning the lottery every day and gambling on sports in Vegas?!! :) ;D

thatwolfguy
2005-12-29, 12:26 PM
i love it, even the trees are blue (da ba dee da ba daa)

oh, and the fact that elan wants to go shopping / antiquing - too funny

Taliesin
2005-12-29, 01:14 PM
Trees?
We see no trees.
Do you mean the pagodas?
Or the masts of the ships?

Is this the end of the OOTS? Somehow we don't think so. But we don't see how they can escape in a realistic way.

Sanctu
2005-12-29, 01:24 PM
I believe it to be:

Oh, that is it for #260. (And thank you!)

I ment in #250 where all Haley said was a 4 letter word (none of the letters repeating) to the Palladin.

ZacK88
2005-12-29, 01:45 PM
I still think she said "slut"

JessmanCA
2005-12-29, 01:57 PM
plotolicious

Mas_Sinoda
2005-12-29, 02:18 PM
Haley - Tomb Raider, all right; Haley was born (well, drawn) for that kind of stuff
Roy - One of those old-fashioned computer RPGs; I´m thinking Ultima IV through IX
V - no video games; I can see him hanging out in a wizards´ forum, though, talking shop with his intellectual equals
Durkon - Boulder Dash, or whatever it was called; maybe Forbidden Forest if he´s in a mood for some horror

I could see Elan playing Dance Revolution, or some game like that, or Eye Toy. I ould also see Belkar playing Sim City and nuking his city... Oh, and Durkon would play Resident Evil, oh, V would play on The Silly Message Board Games... Thog would play Nintendogs, and I can't think of anyone else...
(I do agree with you Chaos, just adding my opinions)

evileeyore
2005-12-29, 02:23 PM
Nah, that looks more like a wall between the boys' cell and Hailey & V's cell. Apparently the people of Azure City think V's a girl too. Ahh, the androgeny continues.
Or that they were jailed by Miko who knows that Haley and V room together, thus either assumed V is female or that Haley and V are a couple.

Likely the former more so than the later.

And now I am waiting patiently for the crime sniffing dog Azure, who discovers crimes by the sight of mystic blue paw prints...

saraswati
2005-12-29, 02:28 PM
I just hope someone kicks Durkon's arse before this is all said and done, forgive but never forget!

FWIW I'm realy glad that OOTS aren't holding a grudge against Durkon. I think Durkon's proved his loyalty to OOTS enough by now for them to know that his not joining them in rebellion is just an alignment thing he can't help.

Besides, I'd forgive someone who saved my life, even if they didn't join my side of a fight. Anyway, for the sake of everyone liking the poor friendless dwarf, I'm really happy about it.

It doesn't seem in character to me for any of them to be unreasonably unforgiving except for Belkar.

Speaking of which, maybe he is separated because he is still unconcious.

Mas_Sinoda
2005-12-29, 02:45 PM
(might be spoiler) Or, maybe Belkar is being questioned? (mightbespoiler)

TheFallenOne
2005-12-29, 03:42 PM

yeah

V: Haley, I need a spell I disguised as a tattoo on your body for such emergency occasions
Haley: If it gets us out of here? Sure! Which one?
V: ...
Haley:O h no, not that one, we don't even have a dark corner in this cell!
Belkar: Yeah, bring it on baby!
Haley(unbuttoning shirt): Stop it right here shorty or you'll see which spells I got under the rest of my clothes

Shame she still has no speech

Patashu
2005-12-29, 04:40 PM

Obviously, V would play Nethack.

By the way, about how much of one's body would a 'spell tattoo' take up?

Fishies
2005-12-29, 04:52 PM
By the way, about how much of one's body would a 'spell tattoo' take up?

It would depend on the spell level. A 3rd level spell(such as a fireball) would take 3 pages of a spellbook, but a tattoo... hmm, I'd say about 2 arms.

EDIT: And a leg.

gorogongorgy
2005-12-29, 05:19 PM

I think Elan would enjoy a simpler game...maybe barbie ;)

McBish
2005-12-29, 05:20 PM
Would a Paladin bard work?

No Bards can't be lawful, Paladins have to be. Paladin of freedom maybe, but that is unlikely.

gorogongorgy
2005-12-29, 05:23 PM
yeah

V: Haley, I need a spell I disguised as a tattoo on your body for such emergency occasions
Haley: If it gets us out of here? Sure! Which one?
V: ...
Haley:O h no, not that one, we don't even have a dark corner in this cell!
Belkar: Yeah, bring it on baby!
Haley(unbuttoning shirt): Stop it right here shorty or you'll see which spells I got under the rest of my clothes

Shame she still has no speech

I doubt she needs speech to get her message loud and clear!

mec
2005-12-29, 06:26 PM

Instead of pointless video games, I bet V spends a lot of time playing with Linux. "Power! Ultimate Power, I tell you!"

(Or maybe I'm just projecting, because I'm such a Linux geek)
;D

Grrw
2005-12-29, 06:30 PM
A recent dragon magazine had a class acts article on alternate spellbooks...One was tattoos, another was spells being braided in the hair.

I cant remember which issue, but I seem to recall (might be wrong), that you could have 7 spell levels tatooed on a body...

dedicated
2005-12-29, 06:46 PM
There are rules for tattoo spellbooks in Complete Arcane ;)

Lightman
2005-12-29, 07:02 PM
Sniff...this reminds me why I love Elan so much (and the Dragon Magazine version was hilarous)

bosssmiley
2005-12-29, 07:24 PM
Whee, great page. It's good to have OOTS back after the holidays.

If only Persuade skills worked on locks. ;D
Of course incantation works on inanimate objects! Why do you think people chant "Car keys, car keys, car keys..." when they're searching after all. ;D

rosebud
2005-12-29, 07:35 PM
I cannot picture a gaming system that could survive the aftermath of Belkar's first loss. I think that's why halflings played (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=125
)
Throw the Rock and Then the Stick Shortly Thereafter -- fewer fragile parts.

As for Elan, Sesame Street games seem about right, especially for his temperment and to force Roy's (in)sanity check.

evileeyore
2005-12-29, 08:08 PM
I present to you [NWS]A Modern Belkar (http://www.break.com/articles/toomuchcs.html)[NWS].

NWS=Not Work Safe

In this case language may be inappropriate for work.

Istielthia
2005-12-29, 08:50 PM
I'm so happy OoTS is back! *sniffle*

It took my boyfriend and I forever to crack that cryptogram...good fun!

Kamakazee_Gnome
2005-12-30, 03:21 AM
For the tatoo spellbooks: Spell Mastery is simpler.

Obviously, V doesn't have Eschew Materials, though (any caster I play takes it a 1st level... very bad experiences with that...)

But that leaves many other problems -- guards, unfamilier teritory, intraparty negotiations ;D

Paladin/bards, though... there's a feat for that in Complete Adventurer.

I wonder if Sojo will actually be a properly played, non-overbearing, not-a-pain-in-the-neck-to-have-around paladin?

shemme
2005-12-30, 10:26 AM
I wish this message board had a search engine. :)

Was Roy's alignment ever discussed? My impression of him is he is of a lawful alignment because he has been such a by-the-books type character even from fighter school - on. So I thought this diatribe against Miko's and Lord Shojo's "authori-tay" was a bit shocking.

Which also leads my runaway train of thought to question: shouldn't chaotic characters constantly try to break the D&D rules system, or risk alignment violations? :P

Soniku
2005-12-30, 11:19 AM
only the chaotic-munchkin my friend. What a fun alignment it is

Deuce
2005-12-30, 11:30 AM
I wish this message board had a search engine. :)

Was Roy's alignment ever discussed? My impression of him is he is of a lawful alignment because he has been such a by-the-books type character even from fighter school - on. So I thought this diatribe against Miko's and Lord Shojo's "authori-tay" was a bit shocking.

I think Roy was on more of a "your rules don't reach to here" thing - He'd be more respectful of their laws in Azure City, though since he's there against his will, maybe not so much. How would a "lawful" person in our own world feel if they were abducted from, say the US or UK, and dragged to Singapore to stand trial for spitting on a public street?

Lizard_SF
2005-12-30, 11:38 AM
Roy is Lawful GOOD, which means he feels law must be tempered with compassion and justice -- neither of which he sees in Miko or, thus far, the Azure City. Also, simply because someone respect "law, order, and tradition" in general doesn't mean they'll accept anything cast under those rubrics. ("Eh? You're scarificing babies? That's wrong! Oh, it's legal and traditional? Well, carry on then!")

Roy clearly feels the local law is either corrupt or unjust, and thus would have no alignment violation fighting it. It's worth comparing him to Durkon -- both are lawful good, but Durkon is much more willing to give Miko and Shoujo the benefit of the doubt and go along with them. (He may be closer to Lawful Neutral, too.)

RebelRogue
2005-12-30, 11:38 AM
Which also leads my runaway train of thought to question: shouldn't chaotic characters constantly try to break the D&D rules system, or risk alignment violations? :P
Nope, that's for chaotic players, not characters, to do!

Millikin_Erreene
2005-12-30, 08:33 PM
The visual and verbal description of Azure City kind of remind me of the Emerald City of Oz.

Ragnarok
2005-12-30, 10:48 PM
The visual and verbal description of Azure City kind of remind me of the Emerald City of Oz.
...Except for the part about, let's see, the color?

Sylvius
2006-01-01, 04:35 PM

Dig Dug.