PDA

View Full Version : Scourge Aasimar

Leon
2022-01-17, 07:49 PM
What would thoughts on Scourge doing its level in Radiant damage instead of half be like?
Half seems so anemic, you'd still have the resistance but it would have a bigger impact and would make you consider its use more tactically.

CTurbo
2022-01-17, 08:07 PM
I thought it did do damage equal to it's level. Did I miss something?

Also, you know that damage applies to all of your allies too right?

I think it's great thematically.

Greywander
2022-01-17, 08:08 PM
Radiant Consumption. Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to unleash the divine energy within yourself, causing a searing light to radiate from you, pour out of your eyes and mouth, and threaten to char you.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you shed bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet, and at the end of each of your turns, you and each creature within 10 feet of you take radiant damage equal to half your level (rounded up). In addition, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra radiant damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra radiant damage equals your level.

Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.
Yeah, about that...

Edit: Or wait, did you mean the damage the ability deals to you? As CTurbo points out, this damage is also dealt to those near to you, which could be friends or enemies.

Psyren
2022-01-17, 08:11 PM
The new Aasimar in MotM actually nerfed it further:

the extra damage (both the passive damage at the end of your turns, and the active damage you can add to an attack or spell) now = your proficiency bonus instead of half-level+level respectively.

However it no longer hurts you at all, and it's a bonus action to activate instead of an action.

Gurgeh
2022-01-17, 08:19 PM
That also makes it better at low levels; the new AoE damage is equal or better than the old value until eighth level.

T.G. Oskar
2022-01-17, 09:19 PM
The new Aasimar in MotM actually nerfed it further:

the extra damage (both the passive damage at the end of your turns, and the active damage you can add to an attack or spell) now = your proficiency bonus instead of half-level+level respectively.

However it no longer hurts you at all, and it's a bonus action to activate instead of an action.

Not sure if I should feel sad or not.

In terms of DoT from Radiant Consumption, the damage curve flattens only slightly. You start dealing more damage, normalize between 4th and 6th, then start growing slower from 8th level afterwards. Considering that most games don't progress beyond 10th level, the loss isn't that much; it's only at higher levels where it becomes noticeable. Not taking damage seems against the fluff (you're literally consuming yourself in radiant energy to harm others with it), but it helps on concentration checks.

On the other hand, the damage bonus from the 1/turn buff definitely got nerfed. I mean...yeah, it had to be nerfed, since +(level) to damage, even as a single bonus per turn, was too much of a bonus. Neither the Warlock nor the Ranger had so many good damage buffs; only the Rogue does, and the Scourge Aasimar could combine THAT with the bonus damage. Yet, for classes that don't have damage boosts, it's a much more noticeable loss.

I'll still chalk it up as an improvement, though, since BA Radiant Consumption means my favorite trick comes online from Turn 1. (BA Radiant Consumption + Spirit Guardians as an action, which will no longer suffer the 5% or higher chance of being lost because of suffering the DoT. Good times!)

Gurgeh
2022-01-17, 09:32 PM
Minor correction: it's possible to auto-pass saving throws in 5e if your modifier is high enough relative to the DC - similarly, it's possible for a saving throw to be impossible to pass if the DC is high enough. The only mechanic with automatic success and failure on a natural 20 or 1 is attack rolls. ;)

Leon
2022-01-18, 02:44 AM
I thought it did do damage equal to it's level. Did I miss something?

Also, you know that damage applies to all of your allies too right?

I think it's great thematically.

I'm aware its a PBAOE with no IFF and that's a good thing, just the damage seems to be lacking at Half your level. If it were 4e with its 1 hp minions sure but its a mere tickle for most things of challenge in 5e