PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept: Orc Pantheist Priest (Bard)

Sparky McDibben
2022-01-17, 11:20 PM
Hey y'all!

I had a fun idea for a character. The core concept is a priest of the entire orc pantheon. So, they don't necessarily worship just Gruumsh, but rather the whole bunch of the orc gods (mind you, this is my vision of orcs, found here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24597404&postcount=40)).

Anyway, because they're not serving a single god, the domains don't really make sense. So my thought here is to use a bard to represent a priest. I would probably use the Tasha's optional race rules and redo the half-orc to be +2 CHA / +1 CON (or STR - not sure yet). As for the bard subclass, I'm torn between using Valor Bard (yes, yes, I know it's suboptimal, but it's also a 5e bard, so it's not likely to be a drag on the party) and Eloquence Bard (for the evangelizing aspect).

Thoughts on subclass selection, spell selection, and whether ol' Sparky has complete lost his god-da*n mind?

da newt
2022-01-18, 09:20 AM
So an Orc bard who preaches? Sure. Bards can be great adventurers. What are you asking for? Optimization advice for a bard, or backstory help for your character creation?

follacchioso
2022-01-18, 09:25 AM
What about a swords bard? It could be a good leader for a clan of orcs, and improve your AC and attacks. In alternative, Valor bards are effective as leading warriors in battle.

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-18, 12:28 PM
I'll suggest Eloquence and have that orc run big tent revivals.

proselytize :smallcool:

nickl_2000
2022-01-18, 01:11 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Dr.Samurai
2022-01-18, 01:42 PM
Hey y'all!

I had a fun idea for a character. The core concept is a priest of the entire orc pantheon. So, they don't necessarily worship just Gruumsh, but rather the whole bunch of the orc gods (mind you, this is my vision of orcs, found here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24597404&postcount=40)).

Anyway, because they're not serving a single god, the domains don't really make sense. So my thought here is to use a bard to represent a priest. I would probably use the Tasha's optional race rules and redo the half-orc to be +2 CHA / +1 CON (or STR - not sure yet). As for the bard subclass, I'm torn between using Valor Bard (yes, yes, I know it's suboptimal, but it's also a 5e bard, so it's not likely to be a drag on the party) and Eloquence Bard (for the evangelizing aspect).

Thoughts on subclass selection, spell selection, and whether ol' Sparky has complete lost his god-da*n mind?
I don't know much about bards beyond they're supposed to be versatile.

I think, given that two of the deities are war/battle gods, Valor makes sense to demonstrate proficiency in combat.

Expertise in Athletics to showcase Bahgtru's brute strength.

For Luthic and Yurtrus you can have buffs and healing magic.

For Shargaas, stealth, thievery, and illusions.

I don't know which Bard build gets that stuff, but that would represent a lot of the pantheon. If you can fit disease/undead in there, you'd have a better representation of Yurtrus and Shargaas. College of Swords may be better than Valor for Ilneval's tactical style.

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-18, 03:37 PM
{{scrubbed}} Color added just in case it is needed, and I offer a hearty Amen to that suggestion. :smallbiggrin:

"This is my cittern; there are many like it but this one is mine!"
(OK, I snuck in a little bit of Full Metal Jacket there ...)

Bobthewizard
2022-01-18, 06:55 PM
Valor is a good subclass, at least in tier 1 and 2. They're just not great melee characters.

Most bards have bad AC and bad concentration saves, requiring 2 feats to shore up their defenses. Valor bards only need to use one feat, so until levels 12 or 16, they'll have better charisma, better AC, or better concentration saves than other bards.

The lack of any bonuses to their own extra attack means they're not the best at melee, but combat inspiration letting the rest of the party apply bardic inspiration to incoming attacks is very good. The recipient can use it for that or the regular bardic inspiration uses.

I'd put valor behind lore and eloquence on the power curve, but likely ahead of every other subclass until late game.

LibraryOgre
2022-01-18, 07:13 PM
How about my pantheist domain cleric? (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?581763-Pantheist-Domain&highlight=pantheist)

Sparky McDibben
2022-01-19, 11:52 PM
How about my pantheist domain cleric? (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?581763-Pantheist-Domain&highlight=pantheist)

This is awesome! Thanks!