PDA

View Full Version : Skillful weapon at epic levels

schreier
2022-01-18, 01:24 PM
When I read the skillful weapon enhancement in Complete Arcane, it says:
Highly prized by many arcane spellcasters, a skillful weapon can be wielded without penalty by a character not normally proficient with it. In addition, the wielder’s base attack bonus improves to a minimum of 3/4 his level (as a cleric of the same character level) when he attacks with a skillful weapon, though he gains no such bonus with any other weapon, even if a skillful weapon is wielded at the same time. The skillful special ability can be added only to melee weapons.

How would you apply it to an epic character?

Since it says as a cleric of the same character level - my guy says you get BAB as a cleric through 20, then use the normal epic progression. Does that make the most sense?

Beni-Kujaku
2022-01-18, 01:32 PM
Since it says as a cleric of the same character level - my guy says you get BAB as a cleric through 20, then use the normal epic progression. Does that make the most sense?

Yes it does. If you're a wizard 26, you get the BAB of a cleric 26, which is +15, just like a cleric 20. Your epic bonus isn't affected, so you get another +3 to hit.

tyckspoon
2022-01-18, 02:01 PM
How would you apply it to an epic character?

This would probably be the most sensible way to do it, but due to "Any time a feat, prestige class, or other rule refers to your base attack bonus (except for gaining additional attacks), use the sum of your base attack bonus and epic attack bonus..." I think the actual RAW combination may be "Determine what your attack bonus is as the total of your BAB and Epic Attack Bonus. If it is less than what a Cleric 20 would have, then increase it to that instead."

Maat Mons
2022-01-18, 03:24 PM
Work it however your group does an epic Cleric casting Divine Power.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-01-18, 05:03 PM
This would probably be the most sensible way to do it, but due to "Any time a feat, prestige class, or other rule refers to your base attack bonus (except for gaining additional attacks), use the sum of your base attack bonus and epic attack bonus..." I think the actual RAW combination may be "Determine what your attack bonus is as the total of your BAB and Epic Attack Bonus. If it is less than what a Cleric 20 would have, then increase it to that instead."

But wouldn't that also apply to the cleric bonus? Shouldn't it be "Determine your total attack bonus, then compare it to what a Cleric of your level would have", which is exactly equivalent to simply comparing BAB, since every non-monstrous character of the same level will have the same Epic Attack Bonus?

Max Caysey
2022-01-18, 05:20 PM
Work it however your group does an epic Cleric casting Divine Power.

That would be 1bab/level!

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-01-18, 05:42 PM
BAB does increase past level 20 for racial HD, so...

Biggus
2022-01-18, 08:25 PM
Some of the later printings of the PHB cap Divine Power's BAB at +20 (more details here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?540264-Divine-Power-and-Epic-Levels)). They don't specify how this interacts with your EAB; my interpretation would be that you add your own EAB on to the BAB you get from DP, giving you the total attack bonus of a Fighter of your level.

So @OP, yes I think your interpretation of skillful is the most sensible one.