PDA

View Full Version : PL 10 Kryptonian for M&M 3e

MutantDragon
2022-01-18, 02:17 PM
So, all ye fellow nerds, please check over my work on creating a PL 10 Kryptonian who is still learning how to use his powers. IÂ’d love to hear your thoughts.

Strength 0. Stamina 12. Agility 0. Dexterity 0. Fighting 0. Intellect 0. Awareness 0. Presence 0.

Faster Than a Speeding Bullet: array (24 points, 2 points of alternate effects)
• Flight: flight 12
• Super Running: speed 12
• Space Flight: movement 4 (zero gravity adaption, space travel 3)

Invulnerability: protection 4, impervious toughness 16

Super Speed: quickness 8

Immunity 10: life support

More Powerful Than a Locomotive: array (30 points, 2 points of alternate effects, dynamic)
• Heat Vision: ranged damage 15
• Unearthly Strength: enhanced strength 15
• Superhuman Senses: senses (acute (auditory), analytical (auditory), darkvision, extended hearing 10, infravision, microscopic vision, vision penetrates concealment, radio, tracking 2, ultra hearing, ultravision)

Super Strength: enhanced strength 10, limited to lifting

Close attack: unarmed 5 (+5), Ranged attack: heat vision 5 (+5), Perception 10 (+10)

All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ultimate Effort (Toughness), Languages (Kryptonian), Improved Critical

Dodge 0, Parry 0, Will 0, Fortitude 12, Toughness 16

Reversefigure4
2022-01-19, 03:47 PM
I think it's a little one-dimensional. You're massively strong and tough, but not particularly interesting. You're no better than a normal human being - all your attributes baring Strength and Stamina are at zero. I don't see "learning to use my powers" in there, what I see is a generic Kryptonian Footsoldier. A fine build for a Minion to fight, but I'm not sure it'll be fun to play.

For starters, your defences are all maxed in one direction, leaving you immune to some effects, and highly vulnerable to others. You'll spend fights either just standing around while bullets richochet off you and the bad guys can't touch you (occasionally fun, but boring in the longer term), or taken out of the fight rapidly. Somebody with webs (Dodge resisted) is going to tie you up and remove for from the combat quickly. Worse still if you go up against Mind Controllers with +0 to Will - at that point you're an active liability to your party.
With zero Dodge or Parry, everything will hit you. Most of it will bounce off your Impervious Toughness. But with what doesn't, you'll spend a lot of time making Toughness saves.

You also have no meaningful utility skills, nothing that distinguishes your character from the Next Generic Kryptonian soldier. Is your character a journalist? A high school student? An actual faceless Kryptonian soldier? An artist? It's hard to tell.

I'd drop the Super-Strength for lifting entirely. Do you really need a lifting Strength of 25? How many battleships are you planning on juggling at once? Super quickness is also something you could drop to sell the 'learning to use my powers' thing - you can physically move that fast, but you can't think that fast and accomplish things.

I'd probably lower the powers by 2 ranks each, freeing up some more space to round out the character.
Alternatively, if "learning to use my powers" is the theme here, take some more flaws to make the powers less usable or more out of your control.
Tiring Super-strength Lifting. Pushing the moon makes you fatigued.
Super-sight blocked by lead (quirk), or for a "my powers are less than Superman" thing, Limited to can't see through metal.
Inaccurate Eye Rays, or Reduced Range.
Perception Check required to activate Super-Senses.
Distracting Flight (flying while doing things leaves me vulnerable to attack).

MutantDragon
2022-01-19, 05:11 PM
I think it's a little one-dimensional. You're massively strong and tough, but not particularly interesting. You're no better than a normal human being - all your attributes baring Strength and Stamina are at zero. I don't see "learning to use my powers" in there, what I see is a generic Kryptonian Footsoldier. A fine build for a Minion to fight, but I'm not sure it'll be fun to play.

For starters, your defences are all maxed in one direction, leaving you immune to some effects, and highly vulnerable to others. You'll spend fights either just standing around while bullets richochet off you and the bad guys can't touch you (occasionally fun, but boring in the longer term), or taken out of the fight rapidly. Somebody with webs (Dodge resisted) is going to tie you up and remove for from the combat quickly. Worse still if you go up against Mind Controllers with +0 to Will - at that point you're an active liability to your party.
With zero Dodge or Parry, everything will hit you. Most of it will bounce off your Impervious Toughness. But with what doesn't, you'll spend a lot of time making Toughness saves.

You also have no meaningful utility skills, nothing that distinguishes your character from the Next Generic Kryptonian soldier. Is your character a journalist? A high school student? An actual faceless Kryptonian soldier? An artist? It's hard to tell.

I'd drop the Super-Strength for lifting entirely. Do you really need a lifting Strength of 25? How many battleships are you planning on juggling at once? Super quickness is also something you could drop to sell the 'learning to use my powers' thing - you can physically move that fast, but you can't think that fast and accomplish things.

I'd probably lower the powers by 2 ranks each, freeing up some more space to round out the character.
Alternatively, if "learning to use my powers" is the theme here, take some more flaws to make the powers less usable or more out of your control.
Tiring Super-strength Lifting. Pushing the moon makes you fatigued.
Super-sight blocked by lead (quirk), or for a "my powers are less than Superman" thing, Limited to can't see through metal.
Inaccurate Eye Rays, or Reduced Range.
Perception Check required to activate Super-Senses.
Distracting Flight (flying while doing things leaves me vulnerable to attack).

Good points. I’ll take another look and redo some things. I still want my powers to be about that same level, but limiting the speed and quickness on this could free up points elsewhere. The character feels a little generic, in part, because he was intended to be generic. The problem with attempting to create a Kryptonian at PL 10, though, is the sheer volume of things you see them do in the comics and the levels at which they do those things. Thanks for giving me your input. It has helped open my eyes to the flaws.

MutantDragon
2022-01-19, 05:22 PM
This isn’t my complete redo, I’ll work on it some more when I have access to my books.

Strength 0. Stamina 12. Agility 0. Dexterity 0. Fighting 0. Intellect 0. Awareness 0. Presence 0.

Faster Than a Speeding Bullet: array (20 points, 2 points of alternate effects)
• Flight: flight 10
• Super Running: speed 10

Super Speed: quickness 5

More Powerful Than a Locomotive: array (30 points, 2 points of alternate effects, dynamic)
• Heat Vision: ranged damage 15
• Superhuman Senses: senses (acute (auditory), analytical (auditory), darkvision, extended hearing 10, infravision, microscopic vision, vision penetrates concealment, radio, tracking 2, ultra hearing, ultravision)

Close attack: unarmed 5 (+5), Ranged attack: heat vision 5 (+5), Perception 12 (+12), Expertise: choose one 6 (+6)

Attractive, All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ultimate Effort (Toughness), Languages (Kryptonian), Improved Critical

Dodge 0, Parry 0, Will 3, Fortitude 12, Toughness 16

MutantDragon
2022-01-19, 05:49 PM
Ok, here we go! Give it a gander and tell me what you think. I kept the super strength, because even a fifteen doesn’t do justice to what we see Kryptonians do all the time and to make the mechanical issue of no longer having superhuman strength when you use heat vision more palatable.

Strength 0. Stamina 12. Agility 0. Dexterity 0. Fighting 0. Intellect 0. Awareness 0. Presence 2.

Faster Than a Speeding Bullet: array (20 points, 2 points of alternate effects)
• Flight: flight 10
• Super Speed: speed 10, quickness 10

• Heat Vision: ranged damage 15, distracting, penetrating 15
• Superhuman Senses: senses (acute (auditory), analytical (auditory), darkvision, extended hearing 10, infravision, microscopic vision, vision penetrates concealment (Quirk: can’t see through lead), radio, tracking 2, ultra hearing, ultravision)

Close attack: unarmed 5 (+5), Ranged attack: heat vision 5 (+5), Perception 12 (+12), Expertise: choose one 6 (+6)

Attractive, All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ultimate Effort (Toughness), Languages (Kryptonian), Improved Critical

Dodge 1, Parry 1, Will 3, Fortitude 12, Toughness 16